Topic

Glitch heats my computer up

I've had problems with my iMac overheating and shutting down while running Glitch. My normal running temp is at 100F, when I run Glitch it is upwards of 140F (smcFanControl readings). I love this game, but I can't take that kind of risk with my system anymore.

Posted 11 years ago by N2ZOrtolanaBlue Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I have a external fan running behind my imac. It is the flash. Always runs the graphics card hard. Be nice if we could run it lower quality, some things let you do that. Not that it doesn't still heat things up, but not as much.
    Posted 11 years ago by Tibbi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It would be nice if TS spent a bit more time on client performance.

Just saying "Flash" is no excuse; it's a poor workman who blames his tools.
    Posted 11 years ago by Janitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Expect it is flash, since it isn't just glitch.  It's anything that uses it.  Having the lower quality button helps and it would be nice if we had it.  Also the reason I wish glitch could be ported to run on the iPad. 

If I blame anyone, I blame Apple for how they built the iMac. If I'd known I would have waited longer, saved more, and bought a regular separate tower/monitor combo.  However, for my price range at the time it was the best option. 

And the external fan does do a good job, so for now I can live with it, as I save again for that combo. :)

Just sayin'.... :>
    Posted 11 years ago by Tibbi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Janitch, sometimes it is the tools.  There is more than ample evidence in this case.

Tiny Speck has spent a great deal of time working on client performance.  They had several rounds of testing in the past few months aimed at just this goal, and they did make vast improvements.  My netbook, which has puny processors, was almost unusable for the game.  Now it is more than serviceable for anything but a rook attack.

Flash and Apple, however, have a well known history of animosity in the industry.  Other PCs, laptops and inegrated machines do not have the same heating problems when running flash based games, but iMacs do.  It is because Apple officially stated that they would no longer support Flash in the hardware or software.  Flash only runs on Apple computers now because the people who make Flash have crafted it to do so, using whatever workarounds they can find.

The difference, I think, is that Flash isn't Tiny Speck's tool.  It's ours.  They require us to use it, because it is so far the only tool that can handle a game with all of Glitch's design concepts in mind.  But it is our choice as to what computer to run it on.

Or, to make a long story short by using an old truism, Apple sucks.
    Posted 11 years ago by Carl Projectorinski Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Download and use this.

It's called smc fan control, and you can use it to keep your imac cool as a cuke.
    Posted 11 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you!

I happen to be running an iMac, too, despite my bad mouthing.
  • I'm lucky if I get half hour in the game before my character seems like its slogging through mud. I'm not blaming TS though, my laptop is 3 years old. I've tried the external fan but to no avail.
    Posted 11 years ago by Troll Doll Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Increasing the fan rpm's with smc fan control has helped a lot, thx guys. I'd highly recommend this app for iMac users experiencing similar problems. And yeah, Apple does suck (but Microsoft swallows). Sorry, couldn't resist, sue me if I'm wrong lol.
    Posted 11 years ago by N2ZOrtolanaBlue Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, no, you are absolutely correct there.  I'm not loyalist to anybody.  I try my best to exploit either company for my own ends... ;)  And avoid them whenever possible, which is rare in my business.  (Thank you, Adobe)
  • The issue isn't only with Macs, my huffy puffy heats up too much too.
    Posted 11 years ago by BlueBetsy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • terra怠sig wroteApple does suck (but Microsoft swallows)

Whahahaha!

Anyway......

In my opinion, laptops should not be used for gaming/playing, basically because the performance is lower than that of a desktop computer, and the components are all so small and compressed, what makes them heat up real fast, what also lowers the health of that said component.

If you don't have a desktop computer, then I recommend buying a fan what you can place UNDER the  laptop (example).
    Posted 11 years ago by Rutger Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My memory goes up like crazy and my fan kicks in (which never happens except while playing Glitch), I'm using a PC. 
    Posted 11 years ago by snarkle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have a Macbook Pro. I have zero problems but I watch my system resources, which is likely the same thing an iMac user can do. Just watch for when your browser or Safari starts taking over half your system resources, dump your flash memory, refresh and tada, golden.
    Posted 11 years ago by Trucker Dave Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have to use an HP laptop for space & budget reasons... And yes, it does heat up something fierce when I'm playing Glitch. But as long as I intentionally crash Flash and wait about 2 minutes before restarting it, it gives the fan a chance to catch up with cooling and slow down before I restart. I usually do this every 2-3 hours when I'm playing a marathon LOL
    Posted 11 years ago by justmama Subscriber! | Permalink