Topic

Staff Topic

Glitch, Unlaunched

We are taking Glitch back to beta. This is some big news. The story’s told in this blog post, which you ought to read before continuing to read this. :)

But I know that reading about the over-arching thoughts behind the decision will raise many questions from you all, the most fundamental being: “How will the game change for me, and what does ‘beta’ mean?”

Playing Glitch will be a very similar experience to what you’ve become accustomed to over the past couple of months, except punctuated with some big changes to the fundamentals (like XP, energy and housing) and the addition of functionality that puts more creative power in your hands and allows you to have more of an impact on of the world of Glitch. To that end:

• The world will continue to be open around the clock, though there may be occasional (and brief) down-times

• You’ll still be able to invite friends in limited quantities, but general sign-ups will go back to being queued

• The player support team will be devoting more time to ensuring these new additions are working the way they should, which could mean slower response times to help cases (though we’ll still aim for the fastest turnaround possible)

• We’ll encourage players to help us test all of this out, and hunt down bugs with us as new features are released

• Though you’ll still be able to buy credits and subscriptions, whoever feels they want a refund because of the change (or for any reason) can do so through December 31st.

• And finally, while we are not currently planning another reset — resetting again is very unlikely — that might change. And even without a complete reset, some of the transitions will be big and the old systems won’t map perfectly to the new ones. For example, the new housing system will be a big change (some details here).

It’s all a bit crazy, but this is an exciting time for us. We’re doing it to make sure that all of you have a game that is awesome to play from the first moment you step into the world to deep into your Glitch adulthood.

If you have any further questions, comments or concerns, I will be reading along and answering them as best I can. You can also take a look at the new FAQ section we wrote just for this (we’ll be editing and adding to it as questions arise).

Posted 12 years ago by Blanky Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 10
  • Wow! Big news! But cool. And exciting. So: Yay!

What got my attention was how the "And finally, while we are not currently planning another reset, that might change." would scale if a reset were to happen, now that Glitch has 113,000+ registered members...
    Posted 12 years ago by Hburger Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Working blog link: http://www.glitch.com/blog/2011/11/30/the-big-unlaunching/
    Posted 12 years ago by TomC Subscriber! | Permalink
  • *plotz*
    Posted 12 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Link doesn't work for me? Running Windows Seven and Google Chrome xP
    Posted 12 years ago by Liza Throttlebottom Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ah, thank you!
    Posted 12 years ago by Liza Throttlebottom Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Was just about to post; thanks, TomC :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Millie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks Blanky! How exciting!
    Posted 12 years ago by Voluptua Sneezelips Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow. Was thinking things were quiet from the devs. Sounds like a good move though.
    Posted 12 years ago by Rock Opera Jr Subscriber! | Permalink
  • thank you :)
    Posted 12 years ago by ToffeeFudge Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Blanky The link to info about refunds is broken on the blog page, btw.
    Posted 12 years ago by Millie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Holy hell.

Unrelated: Guess what? In 3 weeks, I'll be back!
    Posted 12 years ago by Edward Subscriber! | Permalink
  • With the amount of time I've already spent here and the fun I've had, there's no way I'd consider asking for a refund, although I have to say it's a nice gesture.  :-)
    Posted 12 years ago by ennuienta Subscriber! | Permalink
  • a round of applause for the staff
    Posted 12 years ago by Santa Clause Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sounds interesting, just hope there isn't going to be another reset, that could be well.... :( and waaah my house? Well I guess if they are better. >.< But they better be just as cute, I lurve my house in Groddle Meadow. :0)
    Posted 12 years ago by Tanit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • WOW can't wait for the new content but REALLY disliking the thought of another reset. I put so much work into gaining my achievements that I don't know if I'll have the drive to go after them again :/
    Posted 12 years ago by TimeLord Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Very daring. Nice to see true innovation from a company.
    All I ask is when and if you make us switch homes is to ensure that we are able to bring all our stuff with us. I have a lot just sitting around on the floor. (I'm messy, I know.)
    Posted 12 years ago by anonymoose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • WOW. Didn't expect this at all but I for one am excited to go back to beta haha.
    Posted 12 years ago by Leeno Subscriber! | Permalink
  • PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DONT RESET AGAIN!
    Posted 12 years ago by JordyChrist Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Verrrrry interesting! Thanks for the update!
    Posted 12 years ago by Melismata Rookwood Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ooh, does this mean current players will get Beta-tester Funpickles now? ;)

(And I have to agree that I would be entirely too exhausted to grind my way back to my current level if there was a new reset; but it looks like they are not suggesting that there will be one.)

My biggest concern is that I really like my Salatu house and just got it exactly the way I like it and it's in a convenient spot near the vendors I need most and the subway in a good neighborhood. I get a slightly sick feeling in the pit of my stomach just imagining how difficult it would (will? augh!) be to move. Please consider implementing a "move all your owned stuff without risking losing any" system if we are to be forced to move.
    Posted 12 years ago by ✰ Lorelei ✰ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • WOw.... Just WOW..
    Posted 12 years ago by Chicalet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Nevermind.
    Posted 12 years ago by Fluxan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I really, really, really don't want a reset... really really
    Posted 12 years ago by ✦ SHI∇IΔΠ ✦ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm with anonymoose. Apart from a slightly unwell feeling I get about the while we are not currently planning another reset, that might change  part.
    If I have to move houses and my stuff can't all move with me, I'm going to be upset o_o
    Posted 12 years ago by Ebiler Subscriber! | Permalink
  • for example, the new housing system will require you to move … though it’ll be better!

OH MY GOD NO. DDDDDDDDDD: Will I get the chance to move my stuff to my new house?! I have SO MUCH STUFF EVERYWHERE oh my god the thought of moving/losing all that stuff is terrifying. DDDDD:
    Posted 12 years ago by Asperity Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I really wouldn't mind a reset. I'd be able to more careful about going to the Back Alley first. :)
    And I know how I'd do things a little more differently.

Let's do this thing!!! :>
    Posted 12 years ago by Tibbi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • As long as there is no impending doom of a reset hovering our heads, I'm all for bug squashing and hole-filling (and beta-ing)!
    Posted 12 years ago by BTS0x0 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Moving houses will be easy (moving boxes are on the horizon): don't worry!
    Posted 12 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for the info! I really, really hope that there isn't another reset as i've already been through one in beta and for others even more. I've spent so long playing these last two months would hate to see my progress all gone!
    Posted 12 years ago by iDylan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • OMGiants, this is a total surprise...

I just hope this will help make Glitch a better, more amazing game... we'll just have to see what happens! :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Varaeth Subscriber! | Permalink
  • this is huge!!!  ETA:  i find myself strangely excited to be testing again, as it makes me feel all purposeful-type -- i'm not *playing*, i'm helping to *test*! 

one question though: will subscriptions go back to being on pause?
    Posted 12 years ago by katlazam Subscriber! | Permalink
  • SO EXCITE.

We should be calling this Gamma-testing, though.
    Posted 12 years ago by Arii Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I hope there won't be any reset if it involves losing our skills & achievements, but i'm glad to be part of that beta experience!
    Posted 12 years ago by Leïla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Please don't reset. I don't want to start from scratch.
    Posted 12 years ago by Fluxan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Just in time for the launch party!
    Posted 12 years ago by Alexgator Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Moving houses will be easy (moving boxes are on the horizon): don't worry!"

Stoot, you just made my day!

But srsly, please, no reset :-(
    Posted 12 years ago by ✦ SHI∇IΔΠ ✦ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • please do a reset!  the last one was awesome
    :)
    Posted 12 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Maybe I'll finally get some sleep :P
    Posted 12 years ago by Screwtape Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's an un-launch party now :)
    Posted 12 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yay! Thank you stoot! I hope all out animals can go in those boxes too! I don't want to loose Hugh Jackman and George Clooney piggy again! lol
    Posted 12 years ago by Ebiler Subscriber! | Permalink
  •  
    Posted 12 years ago by Goodnight Groddle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wait......I have TONS of bags full of stuff in my house. What about all that? What about my 19 pigs, and my 9 butterflies? (I dont care about the stupid chickens).  What about my cubimals?

I cant carry all my items, Blanky.   What about the people in my situation? I know there are MANY of us like this.

*edit - THANK YOU STOOT!!!*
    Posted 12 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow. I gotta say, this news thrills me to no end. I'm sure it was a scary decision to have to make and the telling of it must have been a bit nerve wracking, so kudos to y'all. It's obvious from the various bits & pieces of behind the scenes stuff we're privy to hearing that the current setup just can't become what you dream it to be. Glitch is already a fantastic game, but it can be (and will be!) so much more. And, honestly, it's really quite exciting to be here as the vision comes together. Beta was awesome. Re-Beta will be even better!

Bonus: the potential for more EOT parties ending with Good Night Groddle. Ah, nostalgia. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Vera Strange Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is a great and bold move :-D Have at it!
    Posted 12 years ago by Osprey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love the idea of being back in Beta.

Though the whole house moving thing does make me wonder...
    Posted 12 years ago by Jessabelle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I appreciate the forward thinking, but honestly, if we are reset and I lose all my skills and wealth that I've worked so hard for, I don't think I'll have the desire to do it all again. The final beta reset was enough for me!
    Posted 12 years ago by Spayem Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm behind you all the way. Far from wanting a refund, I would be happiest if you continue taking my subscription payments during the new Beta.
    Posted 12 years ago by Ninetailed Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hiya Blanky :) I just have a question regarding the housing system and being required to move. Would it be best to stop storing things in my house and always carry them with me? I don't want to lose my hoarde! lol. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Professor Song Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm just chiming in to say PLEASE do not reset. I've put so much time into this game, if all of it were to go to waste than I'd probably just stop playing.
    Posted 12 years ago by LittleMan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • No more resets, please!
    Posted 12 years ago by Nocturne Subscriber! | Permalink
Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 10