Topic

Staff Topic

Glitch, Unlaunched

We are taking Glitch back to beta. This is some big news. The story’s told in this blog post, which you ought to read before continuing to read this. :)

But I know that reading about the over-arching thoughts behind the decision will raise many questions from you all, the most fundamental being: “How will the game change for me, and what does ‘beta’ mean?”

Playing Glitch will be a very similar experience to what you’ve become accustomed to over the past couple of months, except punctuated with some big changes to the fundamentals (like XP, energy and housing) and the addition of functionality that puts more creative power in your hands and allows you to have more of an impact on of the world of Glitch. To that end:

• The world will continue to be open around the clock, though there may be occasional (and brief) down-times

• You’ll still be able to invite friends in limited quantities, but general sign-ups will go back to being queued

• The player support team will be devoting more time to ensuring these new additions are working the way they should, which could mean slower response times to help cases (though we’ll still aim for the fastest turnaround possible)

• We’ll encourage players to help us test all of this out, and hunt down bugs with us as new features are released

• Though you’ll still be able to buy credits and subscriptions, whoever feels they want a refund because of the change (or for any reason) can do so through December 31st.

• And finally, while we are not currently planning another reset — resetting again is very unlikely — that might change. And even without a complete reset, some of the transitions will be big and the old systems won’t map perfectly to the new ones. For example, the new housing system will be a big change (some details here).

It’s all a bit crazy, but this is an exciting time for us. We’re doing it to make sure that all of you have a game that is awesome to play from the first moment you step into the world to deep into your Glitch adulthood.

If you have any further questions, comments or concerns, I will be reading along and answering them as best I can. You can also take a look at the new FAQ section we wrote just for this (we’ll be editing and adding to it as questions arise).

Posted 12 years ago by Blanky Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 Next
  • My subscription ends today and I cannot renew it. What am I supposed to do? I don't want to lose my house and progress.
     Is there any other way to pay for another month?
    Posted 12 years ago by cuki Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @cuki don't worry, you won't loose anything since you can play even without a subscription.
    I believe the monthly subscription will renew automatically if you do not cancel?
    Or is it just the free trial month you have? I got a mail a few days before my free month ran out.
    Posted 12 years ago by Vic Fontaine Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Subscriptions don't affect your house or progress, just access to subscriber-only clothing and vanity features. And if you're getting teleportation tokens on a monthly basis, that will stop.
    Posted 12 years ago by Nixified Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lots of questions in this here thread.... dont see alot of answers from staffers though. ..
    Posted 12 years ago by serenitycat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love this game and its creators seem to be a nice group of people. They are not the usual soulless corporate riff-raff you normally find running the show, but I am a little concerned that such radical changes to the core game play are going to demand a character reset.

Maybe they will have some kind of conversion system in place that will compensate players for their experience points and currants by converting them into this new "imagination" all in one currency. That way even if our characters end up being quite different under the new core mechanics we will at least keep our hard earned progress and have it applied to building our new incarnations.
    Posted 12 years ago by Melting Sky Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't share your concern.  

Your "maybe" scenario is what they've said they will do if it is in any way possible.  
    Posted 12 years ago by Saucelah Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 Next