Topic

Staff Topic

Glitch, Unlaunched

We are taking Glitch back to beta. This is some big news. The story’s told in this blog post, which you ought to read before continuing to read this. :)

But I know that reading about the over-arching thoughts behind the decision will raise many questions from you all, the most fundamental being: “How will the game change for me, and what does ‘beta’ mean?”

Playing Glitch will be a very similar experience to what you’ve become accustomed to over the past couple of months, except punctuated with some big changes to the fundamentals (like XP, energy and housing) and the addition of functionality that puts more creative power in your hands and allows you to have more of an impact on of the world of Glitch. To that end:

• The world will continue to be open around the clock, though there may be occasional (and brief) down-times

• You’ll still be able to invite friends in limited quantities, but general sign-ups will go back to being queued

• The player support team will be devoting more time to ensuring these new additions are working the way they should, which could mean slower response times to help cases (though we’ll still aim for the fastest turnaround possible)

• We’ll encourage players to help us test all of this out, and hunt down bugs with us as new features are released

• Though you’ll still be able to buy credits and subscriptions, whoever feels they want a refund because of the change (or for any reason) can do so through December 31st.

• And finally, while we are not currently planning another reset — resetting again is very unlikely — that might change. And even without a complete reset, some of the transitions will be big and the old systems won’t map perfectly to the new ones. For example, the new housing system will be a big change (some details here).

It’s all a bit crazy, but this is an exciting time for us. We’re doing it to make sure that all of you have a game that is awesome to play from the first moment you step into the world to deep into your Glitch adulthood.

If you have any further questions, comments or concerns, I will be reading along and answering them as best I can. You can also take a look at the new FAQ section we wrote just for this (we’ll be editing and adding to it as questions arise).

Posted 12 years ago by Blanky Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10
  • I really hope you can pull it off without a complete reset.

And ooh, moving boxes. That makes the thought of being required to move a bit easier, but I really like living next door to my bestestestest <3 friend, so I'd want to be able to get another house next door to each other if possible, which will be harder since she rarely has much time to play these days.

Can't wait to help test out all the new changes!
    Posted 12 years ago by Glitch E Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DONT RESET AGAIN!" - JordyChrist

This is my sentiment as well.  You can refund money but you can't refund time.  Going back to beta is already stressing our trust ("We're launched!  Come invest time and money in us!  Just kidding!")  ... performing a reset would shatter that trust entirely.

Why don't you just disable invites, or enact a global registration cap? That would allow you to put aside scaling issues entirely so you could focus on core improvements.

I think you'll find the player base more than tolerant when it comes to downtime, awkward inventory or ownership mappings, even outright bugs.  But a reset would mean quite a few people, myself included, cashing out and moving on.  And I don't want to do that!
    Posted 12 years ago by Torgie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If this means the State University of Ur can finally become a real organization with a real building and a real function then we will hold out during these - erm - unstable times!
    Posted 12 years ago by Dave Aflaris Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wheeee!
    Posted 12 years ago by snarkle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well, I just came to the forums cause I found my first one of the 11 secret spots (DNA) which I wanted to share as way cool.  I'm flexible, I'm thrilled for you guys and I'm sticking with ya and looking forward to all that you bring!  Wishing you the best best best of luck and like my friends, have at it and we'll be here for ya! (And no I don't want a refund but thanks for offering)
    Posted 12 years ago by AlmostSilver Subscriber! | Permalink
  • LMAO I *just* moved...
    Posted 12 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • OOOoooOo!!! This is really exciting :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Nothus Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So, if we're hearing you right, it sounds like everyone wants a reset?
    Posted 12 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The one thing I'm curious about is whether the subscriptions will continue to count down during the re-beta, or if they'll be put on hold until the re-launch (as they were before the now-first launch)?
    Posted 12 years ago by YukiaN Subscriber! | Permalink
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RESET!
    Posted 12 years ago by Spayem Subscriber! | Permalink
  • But serious: DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE STUFF IN YOUR HOUSE OR MOVING IT SOMEWHERE ELSE. We are clever and the transitions to come will be as smooth as possible :)
  • is it true they promised that the end of beta reset was the last time they would reset, or was it just a hopeful statement?

I feel for those players who have been reset 3 times.

@Stoot: you are evil. I saw your reset post above :P
    Posted 12 years ago by Jehannum Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Stew, I can do a reset on everyone np, just give me a minute... Where is that button?
    Posted 12 years ago by eric Subscriber! | Permalink
  • but...but...but...I LIKE my House right where it is!!  OK, you guys have never steered us wrong before. I'm going to trust that everything will be OK. *radiating calm*
    Posted 12 years ago by FawnFang Subscriber! | Permalink
  • For the love of Lem, please no resetting!!
    I don't mind moving, but if I have to do that ghost quest for a third time I will be very very sad!
    Posted 12 years ago by Cheesely Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well done for taking this brave move! I love the game, but yes maybe you do need time to work on the big development of it without having to worry about the little things every day. I am with you all the way, will support in whatever way I can, and if it means a reset then so be it - we can have another ditching stuff party!
    Go Tiny Speck!
    Posted 12 years ago by Malupin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Noooooooo reset please :)
    Posted 12 years ago by 2020smoke Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Staff: As you know I've spent several hundreds real life dollars in credits... I would like to know more information on your Refund Policy as I can't live with the idea of a possible reset. By asking for a full refund, what impact will it have? Are you taking back all merchandise (Wardrobe) bought? What about Subscription, do you automatically re-become a non-member as a consequence? Thank you for replying asap due to time limit in the offer.
    Posted 12 years ago by elka Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Interesting to note, Potionmaking III is listed in the Encyclopedia, but you can't train it right now
    Posted 12 years ago by ✦ SHI∇IΔΠ ✦ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Nice to see Stoot really connecting with the users :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Dr007 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • *splanks Eric*
    Posted 12 years ago by Spayem Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like my house where it is too, FawnFang. If there was a way to upgrade the current houses that we live in to the new housing system, that'd be great!
    Posted 12 years ago by Glitch E Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Cool to see new features coming! It's really great that you guys at Tiny Speck are so receptive to people's comments, it's truly rare these days. Absolutely wonderful.

However, if there's a reset i'm feeding myself to the Rook.
    Posted 12 years ago by SpookyJester Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh I see it now!

They bring us the news of a potential reset. While we are worrying and screaming bloody murder, they are stealing our pigs in our backyards!

Clever, very clever.
    Posted 12 years ago by BTS0x0 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • PleasePleasePleasePleasePlease don't reset.
    I won't be the only one who will stop playing if you wipe my slate again.
    Posted 12 years ago by Eleanor Rigby Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, Stoot, you crack me up. Heh. (Erm, plz no reset, thank you, plz plz plz, pretty please.)

Will subscription payments be suspended, or will they continue through beta? I don't want or need a refund, but I'm wondering if I'll still be paying or whether it'll be a re-beta period. (I crack myself up, which is a good thing otherwise no one would be laughing, except maybe at me.)

I'm sure I'm not the only one who hopes that house locations can remain stable, even if the houses change. Otherwise there'll likely be a mass real estate scramble and my lovely address may go bye-bye. And I'd really miss my neighbor Lyell.
    Posted 12 years ago by Pascale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Don't even joke, I might walk over there and holler. LOL Please, I don't mind relearning stuff even (as long as the % time increase gets rolled back), but no reset. I would be a very sad panda indeed.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lady Cailia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Are you pausing the subscriptions until you launch again?  Or will they simply continue to run during the New Beta?
    Posted 12 years ago by WindBorn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Kudos to the team for making this decision. As a developer, I know this must be frightening as all get-out :) 

Echo what most people have already said (no shock here...), the thought of a reset is a bit scary. But if it happens it happens, I suppose. 

Also.... I can haz Funpickle? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease?? :D haha

Please, please, PLEASE tell me that additional resources will be put into the developer API side of things as part of these adjustments. It's too quiet on that front with too many developers asking for what seem to be very reasonable and should-be-straightforward requests. I know the team has been strapped supporting *everything else* since launch, but more love for the developers would be huge. Enabling them to write the tools they want is a very large "plus" for this game as a whole. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Chuck Stone Subscriber! | Permalink
  • As many other players, my biggest concern (and kind of the only one worth mentioning, as the rest are more like wondering what things will be like, and 75% excitement-25% concern) is that if we have to move... We should have an option to move all our stuff at once. Please? A lot of us have been stacking things due to the lack of street projects, in prevision of this. The thought of moving everything I have in my house is terrifying, unless you allow us to rent a truck for it. ;)

Just my two cents. I fully support whatever you guys have to do to keep making Glitch better and better! Keep up the excellent work!
    Posted 12 years ago by Fan' Elune Subscriber! | Permalink
  • No full resetting please, but I don't mind a house reset. As long as we get a full currant refund! :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Kame Rider Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I dont ever mind changes...but Please!!!  No Reset!!  Deja Vu.... for me *sigh
    Posted 12 years ago by im4noles2 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think this sounds very exciting. Oh my giants, its all great fun. I think taking the step to go back to beta can't have been made lightly but seems to me a very brave move. I love how the devs have continually added to the game and can understand that the level of changes on the horizon would call for a further beta period. For me, its all good as one of the (many) wonderful things about this game is how fluid it is. If going back to beta and even a further reset helps it advance then I'm all for it. Go for it, Tiny Speck!!!! 
    Posted 12 years ago by The Pheebs Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is sooooo fun!
    Just when the game was getting a little boring to me

comes this surprise.
    You are incredible!
    I am a shy Glitch, don't speak too much because it takes so long to write in English (being my 2nd language) but I enjoy the game very much. Thanks to everyone at TS for letting me be part of the adventure of creating this huge, amazing world. 
    And please, keep surprising us!
    Posted 12 years ago by Caralampia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ROFL Stew and Eric and "the Button" 

i'm gonna be sweating till I get home and log on to see if all my stuff is intact...I'd take a reset and do it all over again though, it would be... FUN!
    Can we get a SB-1 block with reset though? I love(want) love(want) love(want) that block!

roflmao....
    Posted 12 years ago by Chicalet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oo...wow!!

No refunds here, I love this game and everyone behind it too much!

And all of my stuff is bagged and ready for the move - gonna have moonshine happiness where ever y'all take us!! (((HUGS)))
    Posted 12 years ago by sgjo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • im now really concerned - everything i thought i knew is now upside down.....

so....Stoot - is really an Awesome Stew now!
    Posted 12 years ago by Loupin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Will we be getting tokens for this reset? And also is it possible to make the skills not take almost 2 weeks to learn? Other than that this is fantastic!
    Posted 12 years ago by DamitaJo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Back to Beta? Seriously?? Are kidd...
    ...oooooh.... shiny.... distilling skill...
    ...what was i...?
    *stumbles off to make da hooch*
    Posted 12 years ago by HolzOnkel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Beta II: Electric Bugaloo!
    Posted 12 years ago by Sloppy Ketchup Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A RESET IS VERY UNLIKELY. WE ARE JUST BEING HONEST AND TELLING YOU IT IS A REMOTE POSSIBILITY.

We'll do everything we can do avoid it :)
  • There really are only two times a reset is needed.
    1, if the changes being implemented were to create such an imbalance between new players and existing players that the gameplay would be compromised.
    2, if they need to change the format of the user-data and are unable to easily convert it.

Btw, staff, I've worked for data translation companies before, so if #2 is the issue, talk to me before you go resetting it all :)  Though, I tend to think it'd be #1 if anything. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Malc Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 for the gutsy move of unlaunching so you can focus on the further development of the game.

Having said that, a reset would really be terrible, even if you gave Funpickles to everyone in the "new" beta.

Also, I just had a lucky break and got me a 15k cottage about 1 hour ago. Right next door to the subway too... so please take a moment to think about how the required house moving is going to take place. I really like the decor of my current house, and the location, but most of all, I'd hate it a required move meant ending up in a worse kind of house.
    Posted 12 years ago by Zendragon  Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Onwards and upwards! Things were so quiet the pass couple of weeks, I suspected something was up but never guessed that glitch would be going back to beta. Yet it make sense, given the fantastic plans that are underway. I'm happy and excited for ts and for us. And a big thank you to the angels who believe in ts and it's ever growing community.
    Posted 12 years ago by GreyGoose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I won't ask for a refund either...but I do hope there isn't another reset,the thought of loosing all I have achieved *again* stirs batterflies in my tummy....
    Posted 12 years ago by ~Scilly~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Congratulations on Unlaunching!! hehe, that sounds strange - but seriously, if that's what you feel needs to be done to accomplish your dreams for this lovely world we call home - more power to you, I'll be right here for the ride.

Onwards and Upwards!!
    Posted 12 years ago by fadingfastx3 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have a DEEP concern about my wardrobe. Will I lose the stuff I bought with credit? I love my leather jacket, and all my jackets. and my shoe collection . You said I had them forever. I hope that is true.
    Posted 12 years ago by chelseaann Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I will admit, this is pretty bad@#$! .... im very excited after the initial pure panic! But the lovely staff at TS are great at calming down hysterical players and do a great job of explaining!! i am really excited for the GREAT stuff coming :D P.S..... can we have a mrs. funpickle at the end of this beta?! LOL.... Thank you For this amazing game, and the chance to make it even more amazing!!! im purely addicted!
    Posted 12 years ago by blackwidow Subscriber! | Permalink
  • chels... no you wont, we never lost anything from alpha let alone beta, even after the resets the items in your wardrobe will always stay the same.
    Posted 12 years ago by blackwidow Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I can't craft the new tools with Engineering and Tinkering V what is this travesty
    Posted 12 years ago by Spacemarine9 Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10