Topic

Staff Topic

Glitch, Unlaunched

We are taking Glitch back to beta. This is some big news. The story’s told in this blog post, which you ought to read before continuing to read this. :)

But I know that reading about the over-arching thoughts behind the decision will raise many questions from you all, the most fundamental being: “How will the game change for me, and what does ‘beta’ mean?”

Playing Glitch will be a very similar experience to what you’ve become accustomed to over the past couple of months, except punctuated with some big changes to the fundamentals (like XP, energy and housing) and the addition of functionality that puts more creative power in your hands and allows you to have more of an impact on of the world of Glitch. To that end:

• The world will continue to be open around the clock, though there may be occasional (and brief) down-times

• You’ll still be able to invite friends in limited quantities, but general sign-ups will go back to being queued

• The player support team will be devoting more time to ensuring these new additions are working the way they should, which could mean slower response times to help cases (though we’ll still aim for the fastest turnaround possible)

• We’ll encourage players to help us test all of this out, and hunt down bugs with us as new features are released

• Though you’ll still be able to buy credits and subscriptions, whoever feels they want a refund because of the change (or for any reason) can do so through December 31st.

• And finally, while we are not currently planning another reset — resetting again is very unlikely — that might change. And even without a complete reset, some of the transitions will be big and the old systems won’t map perfectly to the new ones. For example, the new housing system will be a big change (some details here).

It’s all a bit crazy, but this is an exciting time for us. We’re doing it to make sure that all of you have a game that is awesome to play from the first moment you step into the world to deep into your Glitch adulthood.

If you have any further questions, comments or concerns, I will be reading along and answering them as best I can. You can also take a look at the new FAQ section we wrote just for this (we’ll be editing and adding to it as questions arise).

Posted 12 years ago by Blanky Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10
  • What a great Glitchy move! Who would've thought Un-Launching.... but of course! The community clearly miss their Capt. Stoot and this event is an exciting gentle stir in the pot. Kudos for your brilliance! :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Saywhat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I thought the resets were over... not sure I want to keep playing with another reset looming on the horizon...
    Posted 12 years ago by megz Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I care far more about retaining my Groddle Forest ground floor tree house, right next door to my best friend's ground floor Groddle Forest tree house, than I do about losing currants, items, or levels.  

Given a choice, I'd take loss of all my "earnings" over losing my house.
    Posted 12 years ago by WindBorn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is so exciting!!

I cannot wait to see what happens next. I'm delighted that the right decision is being made at the right time (and for amazing reasons) to better improve and build the game. This is SO exciting!
    EEEE.

As for everyone who keeps talking about the reset - it's a remote possibility, and I appreciate the honesty that went with making that difficult announcement. Regardless of the outcome, I am confident that if it comes to that, it will be for the right reasons. 

That being said, here's hoping it doesn't come to that. I'm psyched to see all the new stuff that's right around the corner.
    Posted 12 years ago by Xev Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is too hilarious and somehow appropriate to me....XD
    Posted 12 years ago by Jia-pop Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wait... is unlaunching kind of like second breakfast and elevenses?
    Posted 12 years ago by anonymoose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Like others, I really like where I live right now.  Assuming moving is required, would it perhaps be possible to move to the same location I already occupy?    Ie, let's assume that I have to move, and when moving I'll be moving into a house that I then customize, how about hitting "move", choosing my same lot, and having my house demolished?   I get to keep my same location even though the house has to change.  You get?
    Posted 12 years ago by WalruZ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • OMG ...OMG ...OMG poor little me is so Freeking out quick where are those damn perludens gone,Phenmetrazine

Phenmetrazine (Preludin) is a stimulant drug of the morpholine chemical class that was previously used as an appetite suppressant, but has since been ...

- Recreational use..especially when glitch goes down for even an hour.hahahahaha.knock me out with a bag before please.
    Posted 12 years ago by Baby Pip Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yawza!
    Posted 12 years ago by Codex Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I know I am in the minority but if a reset is necessary, so be it. I was even thinking about starting a new Glitch this morning just to see what it would be like now. That said, I was a beta tester and knew about the possibility of reset(s) going into it. I can definitely understand how now that Glitch has launched the possibility of a reset would take people by surprise. Kudos to TS for their transparency and laying out all the possibilities.

Maybe you could give out Junior Fun Pickles to the new beta testers. 

Some day I will say, "You know grand-Glitch, back in my time we couldn't change the world to suit our own imaginations. We had to wait until the Giants were good and ready to make changes."
    Posted 12 years ago by BarryW Subscriber! | Permalink
  • TS - I'm excited for you and for us!  Full support here!  Go team!
    Posted 12 years ago by Stormy Weather Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Spacemarine9: Crafting the *new* tools (Still, Cauldron, Tincturing Kit) will require new skills, which will be released soon.
    Posted 12 years ago by Mart Lume Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Anonymoose, I think unlaunching is more like putting a cat back in a bag.

As for a reset - Yes I've put a bit of time into this game (46 today, woo!) but I wouldn't mind going back to zero, if only we got a special item like Senor funpickle or SB-1 ;) Their market prices rise faster than EXP TNL.
    Posted 12 years ago by Stuv Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is awesome!  To be perfectly honest, much as I love Glitch and even prefer it to sliced bread, I was beginning to get just a first twinge of that "same old same old" feeling about my daily play.  Anything you have to do to take us to the next level (and the next, and the next, and the next) is 100% A-OK with me.  Let it rip!
    Posted 12 years ago by Hawkwell Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Reset again...For the humanity!

We're either ready for prime time or not...
    Posted 12 years ago by MeherMan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm ok with just about everything here.  Like others, I have concerns about moving because I am saving so much stuff, but as long as there is a way to transfer everything, I'm okay with that.  But... RESET... no.  That will undue me.  As much as I love Glitch and I'm sure I have spent hundreds of hours playing, I will be done if there is a reset...
    Posted 12 years ago by Cabinwood Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Does that mean a whole swathe of new tools? Tinkering VI or maybe Engineering II? I bet it does!
    Posted 12 years ago by Spacemarine9 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It also makes me happy to hear that Housing is being looked at deeply and will be dealt with, hopefully including how to 'deal' with 'inactive' people (whatever that happens to be... be it 1 month or 5 years)
    Posted 12 years ago by ✦ SHI∇IΔΠ ✦ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The moving thing is unnerving, and it's not even about my stuff. I'm not even attached to my piggies or anything, no, it's that I specifically hunted down and picked out my cottage based on its interior style! What if I can't get another one like it?

Everything else, I'm very curious to see what's going to unfold. But my change-averse nature is crying out over the eventual loss of my adorable house!
    Posted 12 years ago by HeyHeyHolly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you Stoot and all the team at Tiny Speck.  It's been (relatively) quiet in the world of Ur lately; I was wondering if things were rumbling under the hood.  Now a bit of the curtain is pulled back and we have a peek of many more delightful things to come!

For those of you worried about resets -- I understand where you're coming from.  But having been through three resets (I think?  I may have lost count), I want to say that there's also something amazingly fun about partying your Glitchy butt off down to the last second, because the points don't count and neither do your currants, any more.. and coming back to a brave new world, shiny and clean and waiting just for us.

Myself, I'm delighted to hear that new stuff is in store and I know TS will do whatever is needed to make it fun and make it right.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lelu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh you guys. Is the Button big and red? Seriously, the game is great and I'm having a really swell time.Do what you need to do and please continue to give advance warning. BTW, love, love, love, love the moving boxes idea if I have to move (can I tell you that the reason I moved to my current house was the name of the street? Who wouldn't want to live on Khoul Bheens?? Okay, yes, my sense of humor is about that of a 10-year-old. And proud of it. Cheers!
    Posted 12 years ago by Axa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Having been through a major reset right before launch I can say that I was actually happy to be able to start over. All the stuff you've accumulated is just that-stuff. Virtual stuff. Luckily in this game you can get it all again. In fact, that's the fun of this game. If you had to start all over what would you do differently?

I do hope that one of the things that's addressed is more quests at higher levels.
    Posted 12 years ago by Violet Faulds Subscriber! | Permalink
  • has anybody mentioned that they don't want a reset? :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Mablem Tiipot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am very excited about possible changes coming, (but omg please no reset!)

As previously asked, will subscriptions go on hold during this beta period? I've purchased a year-long subscription, but I prefer not to pay to participate during a beta. I'm more than happy to pay to play the game once all the beta-ness is ironed out, though. :D

ETA: In other words, I don't want to CANCEL my subscription, but I WOULD like it if it was temporarily on hold.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kaessa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • thank you for hoping to make a reset not happen. that makes me feel better than if you really plan to do it.

i poured a LOT of energy and scheduled time into creating my little glitch from the MOMENT we opened after the last reset, including some dangerous around-the clock alarm setting and i really don't want to have to do that again.

it was an adventure, but not one i'm looking forward to having again.

i am super happy about moving boxes.

i hope you will tell us when the big relocation will come, as i wish to clear my calendar and be here at my desk so i an get a thing as close to the one i have now. the house i have now is pretty much the one i want, excpet of course for the awesome new housing changes.
    Posted 12 years ago by flask Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Eric lmao! Don't pretend you can't find that button, you know EXACTLY where it is! Hey guys, just so you know... Things like this are why I freakin LOVE this game. Bring on a reset or anything else, keep it interesting. Go ahead Eric, press the button! But hey, one thing... DO NOT BRING THE CLOSED SIGN BACK. I will blow up the closed sign... I swear I will......
    Posted 12 years ago by Gertie Mack Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A reset would be fine.  Whatever happens, the whole adventure includes 'rolling with the punches.'

As a famous ideologue once said:  "There is great disorder under heaven and the situation is excellent."
    Posted 12 years ago by Parrow Gnolle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am pretty excited about this, especially with the moving boxes being added, as well as all the new skills and items.

Though I would be sad if a reset happened and negated our work, I could understand where you would be coming from. Especially if something critical happened in the background.

I joined the first day that this came out of the last Beta, and it has been really fun. Without the combat oriented game play, everyone is much nicer. Friendly, and helpful. This is what I was really looking for, I even ditched all the other combat oriented mmo's I had been involved with previously.

But that being said, it took a long while and a lot of work to get where I am now in the game. I do not relish the thought of repeating it, and I know many others that are farther along in the game. I can only imagine their apprehension at a reset. Especially since it seems they went through it previously.

I am going to stick to the game, come what may. The game is far too much fun to let a reset hamper it. But I am going to add extra donations to the Giants in hope that it does not come to pass. Figuratively speaking.

All that aside. Are we able to make suggestions for new ideas, items, skills, and such while you are back in Beta and able to rework the code?
    Posted 12 years ago by Wyrd One Subscriber! | Permalink
  • sorry if i dont understand it completely, i am no english native: means this it will have 100 levels again? with my level 60 i thought the relaxed time will begin now!!! mining again, hunting for xp???? omg!!!!
    ;)
    Posted 12 years ago by NoYesNo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So instead of Beta, we should call this Perpetual Beta (link) :)  Or maybe just Gamma. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Malc Subscriber! | Permalink
  • More pickles for EVERYONE!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Tibbi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • No, I cannot bare the thought of starting all over again. Just got back to where I was, after the last reset. I feel now as if that would have been all for nothing and I have the sweetest cottage in Goddle Meadow. If we have to have more houses, please can we have more cottages perhaps some 30k or 50k ones. Pretty and not ugly and bland like the expensive properties at the moment.
    Posted 12 years ago by Miss Melody Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow, all these new changes are so exciting to read about! It's like an early Christmas gift! :) I also appreciate TS letting us know of there being a possible reset, but please please PLEASE try every way possible to not do one...we've all worked very hard and put quality time into developing our little glitches that it'd be really tough, at least for me personally, to just start all over from scratch. *oh the horror* >__< Other than this, I look forward to all the new implementations that are to come and good luck working hard TS!! :)
    Posted 12 years ago by pixelGLOW Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So does this mean another party in Vancouver, so I can come to the next one? ;-)
    Posted 12 years ago by Kjel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am reeeeaaaaally excited for all those Tinctures and their skills! I probably should finish my last Better Learning first though.
    Posted 12 years ago by Bexatious Subscriber! | Permalink
  • woo , I am super excited. :-)
    Posted 12 years ago by CodeChic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Very exciting stuff! Talking of stuff I would ask that one thing I really need is more home storage and an easier method of arranging my goods....I currently have too much spread across my floors.

The new skills look amazing too!

oh yeah and please no resets ;)
    Posted 12 years ago by HerbertSherbert Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Beta badges for all? Or Beta-Beta badges? Do we need any stinkin' BB-Badges?
    Posted 12 years ago by Master Blaster Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for the updates Stoot, no probs going back to beta if that is what is needed and I certainly dont want a refund....but please the Giants no reset!!!

*Runs off to tithe and appease all 11 Icons....
    Posted 12 years ago by Teena Subscriber! | Permalink
  • yay! beta again! I'm so happy and if even a reset is needed again... well it's ok we will start again!
    Posted 12 years ago by babi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'ma chime in with a resounding WOOHOOOOOO this is really super exciting!

I will understand if you need to reset but I pray to all the giants that never happens. As someone said above I don't care so much about money/currants... but losing the bazillion hours taken to level up, learn skills, hoard resources, etc. might make me actually cry, like in real life. Which is a testimony to how awesome Glitch is, but which is still something I would love to avoid.

I'm also cool with moving IF there are moving boxes because maaaan am I ever a hoarder. But I do love my Estevan Meadows location and I hope we do get lovely housing of our choice without some kind of bumrush cattlecall black friday scenario with all Glitchen racing to secure the best of highly limited housing. I'm sure you won't do that to us, right?
    Posted 12 years ago by Epilady Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If the housing is changing, I am going to dream:

*We buy a piece of land in the area we want to live
    *We pick a floor plan and buy (or collect) all of the building supplies
    *We either build the house or pay other Glitchen to do so
    *Once built, we paint, decorate and furnish the house.
    *We can remodel or redecorate anytime we want, as long as we have the currants.

Hey, a girl can dream, can't she?
    Posted 12 years ago by Kookaburra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Unlaunch badges is what we need lmao!
    Posted 12 years ago by sgjo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If there is a reset bearing in mind I need to take drugs to get on a plane. [lots of them] I will do so and come right over there and kick someone's little arse with steal caped boots. Just saying. ;)
    Posted 12 years ago by Misha Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I feel ill. You're right - people have invested time in the game. Yesterday my whole group of RL friends and Glitch neighbors moved. I basically bankrupted myself buying and selling houses to make it all work right. I have all but one cubimal collected after making that a focus of my game play. I don't know how I can keep on playing when there's a chance that I'll lose it all. I would be so angry. We were told it was out of beta. Now you're putting it back in? You can refund someone for their little subscription cost, but I'm never getting that investment in my little Glitch back if you basically nuke the world, take our houses and all we built, and reduce us to homeless, mewling lvl ones. 

Not happy at all. Not sure what to do. Not thrilled with the idea of continuing to build and play when that could turn out to get vaporized. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Aviatrix Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Not to be all contrary, but I really kind of hope there is a reset. I have a feeling it may be because of my long time Kingdom of Loathing addiction. For many, that game is essentially all about resetting yourself. You run through the quests, get to the end, pick up a skill, and do it all over again. and again. and again. and again. It's fun to try new things and ways to go about it all. I realize Glitch is not KoL and the setup isn't nearly the same (for example, the game has built itself around ascension as the years have gone on), but it can be less of an end and more of a rebirth... only this time (*if* there is a time) with some cool past experience to start off with :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Vera Strange Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Question: Do I need to save up currants for the housing change?

+Lelu  Been wondering what the next thing would be too and don't mind resets at all.
    Posted 12 years ago by Suzy Spring Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Maybe there would be a reissue of Senor Funpickle? Huh, maybe? Please? Okay, I'll stop whining.
    Posted 12 years ago by Axa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Unlaunching... is that even a word?
    LOL. I knew Glitch was unique, but this... It's hilarious! It reminds me of Alice in Wonderland.
    But seriously, it's a brave move indeed. Kudos to Stoot & staff. I trust that they will make sure we don't "suffer".

P.S. Eric, don't you touch that button, I'm warning you!
    Posted 12 years ago by Spree Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm excited! Even if there will be a reset, I had lots of fun doing things the first time around and I'm sure I would have fun with it again.
    Posted 12 years ago by Bumblefish Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10