Topic

Staff Topic

Glitch, Unlaunched

We are taking Glitch back to beta. This is some big news. The story’s told in this blog post, which you ought to read before continuing to read this. :)

But I know that reading about the over-arching thoughts behind the decision will raise many questions from you all, the most fundamental being: “How will the game change for me, and what does ‘beta’ mean?”

Playing Glitch will be a very similar experience to what you’ve become accustomed to over the past couple of months, except punctuated with some big changes to the fundamentals (like XP, energy and housing) and the addition of functionality that puts more creative power in your hands and allows you to have more of an impact on of the world of Glitch. To that end:

• The world will continue to be open around the clock, though there may be occasional (and brief) down-times

• You’ll still be able to invite friends in limited quantities, but general sign-ups will go back to being queued

• The player support team will be devoting more time to ensuring these new additions are working the way they should, which could mean slower response times to help cases (though we’ll still aim for the fastest turnaround possible)

• We’ll encourage players to help us test all of this out, and hunt down bugs with us as new features are released

• Though you’ll still be able to buy credits and subscriptions, whoever feels they want a refund because of the change (or for any reason) can do so through December 31st.

• And finally, while we are not currently planning another reset — resetting again is very unlikely — that might change. And even without a complete reset, some of the transitions will be big and the old systems won’t map perfectly to the new ones. For example, the new housing system will be a big change (some details here).

It’s all a bit crazy, but this is an exciting time for us. We’re doing it to make sure that all of you have a game that is awesome to play from the first moment you step into the world to deep into your Glitch adulthood.

If you have any further questions, comments or concerns, I will be reading along and answering them as best I can. You can also take a look at the new FAQ section we wrote just for this (we’ll be editing and adding to it as questions arise).

Posted 12 years ago by Blanky Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Apparently the devs should have just lied to us all and said "There is never ever a chance of a reset ever!!!!!" because apparently even the chance of lightning striking and melting all the servers is the END OF THE WORLD. Christ. Don't cancel your subs over something that isn't going to happen.
    Posted 12 years ago by Effigy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm ready :-).
    Posted 12 years ago by gimmegames Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I understand that a reset is very unlikely, but that it cannot be completely ruled out.  I appreciate the honesty.  However, seems clear a reset would burn a lot of good will, so I really hope TS does not have to go there.

I like my tree house in Aranna with its lovely garden and furniture designed by Hans Cräp, so the idea of moving is a little scary -- but the upcoming changes sound really exciting, and I'm looking forward to them!

Going back to beta seems a wise decision, as this will allow significant changes to be introduced with players understanding that this is happening and that they have the opportunity to help find any problems that may result.
    Posted 12 years ago by Splendora Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is so exciting and scary!
    Posted 12 years ago by le beebs Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love you guys and trust you completely with my Glitch, do whatever you think you need to do: you can reset all of it and I will have fun rebuilding, I am not going anywhere. Keep my money, I know it will be well worth it! GO TS GO!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Xyrem Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Nobody better take away my Happy Crab badge!!! 
    Can we have Beta t-shirts?  Or Gamma T shirts? :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Gadzooks Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So, will my subscription be paused while it's in beta again?
    Posted 12 years ago by chilirlw Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It should be Glitch Gamma instead of Beta because we have already had a beta.
    Posted 12 years ago by HenkDroid Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So many questions!

Luckily, many of them are the same. We'll be updating the FAQs as we go, but please be patient if it takes a while to get to your question. I'm going to try to answer the most common ones in my next few posts …
    Posted 12 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love how every one working on this game really listen and care for the players and of the quality of the game they are putting out. I feel I have gotten my money's worth out of the game already so no refund for me.
    I am also very pleased to hear we'll still be able to play and even though it's an un-launch, the game is not closing. At first the idea of a reset also seemed scary, but meh.. have already done that before and maybe if there is another I could finally get down a better strategy of when to learn what skill...lol
    All the things mentioned being added for older players to keep their interest have me terribly excited too! Can't wait to see all the new things and changes!
    Posted 12 years ago by Emlinel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • OMG please no resets!!!!!! I love my house and all the things I have accomplished! I don't want to lose my house, the skills I have worked on and all the currents and items I have amassed! Please please PLEASE no reset! I don't mind doing a beta but for those of us that have worked hard for what we have so far it really isn't fair to ask us to lose all that after it has been live!

By the way keep my money. What I have paid has been well worth this game.
    Posted 12 years ago by Casombra Amberrose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would like to be the optimist and call this the Omega testing period. ^_^

As long as the new housing is equal in value to the one I have now (50k represent!), I don't care how we move, etc. I was thinking this past weekend that the gameplay was getting stale and wondering what I was going to do once I acquired my icon of Zille. 

Can't wait to see what happens in OMEGA.
    Posted 12 years ago by blogkitten Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Subscriptions & Beta

Unlike the last beta period, we will NOT be pausing subscriptions during this beta. HOWEVER, when we re-launch, we WILL be doubling all credits received as part of the stipends (so, if you got three stipends of 150 each from a copper subscription, you will get a bonus 450 credits at the time of launch).

This will apply retroactively, all the way back to the end of the previous beta (so, if you've been a subscriber the whole time, the stipends you received this month and last month will also be doubled). Direct credit purchases (outside of subscriptions) will also be doubled.

We would have preferred to pause subscriptions during the beta rather than do the credit doubling, but it is just too complex with monthly subscribers, gift subscriptions, etc., and we'd rather spend the engineering and design resources on the core game, rather than a set of one-off changes to the billing and subscription systems (which are much more complex than they probably appear on the outside).

ALSO: we are totally happy to give anyone a refund for their current subscription. Those taking us up on that offer even get to keep all the stuff they've bought with previous stipends. We really don't want to have anyone regret money they spend on Glitch so if the above solution does not suit you, please feel free to take the refund and then resubscribe later when Glitch is even more awesome.
  • Not really sure what to think about the Unlaunching. Extremely concerned with seeing the progress made and items collected (time spent) evaporate due to a possible reset. Should I keep playing, knowing there's a risk of losing all the progress to-date? IMO, this is a bad Public Relations move by Tiny Speck, by hinting to a reset and calling this an un-launching. Both terms imply backwards progress, and now call to question whether real dollar investment is worthwhile in the current release. Tiny Speck could have easily stated a forward-progress statement such as "we're going to try a new approach to housing and other parts of the gameplay that will likely affect you if you own a home and/or have items. But don't worry, we're going to make it easy for you...." and many of the concerns would be non-existent.

This announce also inhibits me from subscribing, because I don't know if the tasks I perform in gameplay will persist. Why pay money into a game with a likelihood of having that work disappear?

So, I'll ask a simple question - upon re-re-launching, what is the likelihood that I will lose all progress (currants, items, skills, xp) made so far in the game?

p.s. Please don't ever take this Public Relations approach in the future, your customer base will always hesitate to purchase "current version" when mentioning backwards-incompatibility with "next version". Backwards-incompatibility is always a possibility, but mentioning so much as the potential for it does nothing but hurt the customer perspective of the product.
    Posted 12 years ago by CleverCharacterName Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Or maybe we're Ursprung, ie, returning to point of origin.
    Posted 12 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • CleverCharacterName: honesty is very important to us. We're almost positive we won't be doing a reset but with even a miniscule chance that we will, we are going to tell people. Getting more money from people right now is not our priority; making an awesome game is.
  • "Getting more money from people right now is not our priority; making an awesome game is." <3

(Make an awesome game and the $$$ will follow.)
    Posted 12 years ago by Pascale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm sure this must have been a difficult decision, and I applaud you for it.

Allowing more player creativity is key, and it will be difficult to square that with what I perceive to be your desire to control the quality of the experience for everyone (the art, the game balance, the ease of use, etc.). 

Anyway, I encourage you to err on the side of allowing for player creativity, even if it means the game gets kind of messy. 
    Posted 12 years ago by magic panda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • thanks for the info, stoot!  a bit disappointing but understandable.  maybe double votes too?  :)
    Posted 12 years ago by katlazam Subscriber! | Permalink
  • One of the things that gives me great confidence in this game is the relaxed attitude being taken about 'real money.'  This isn't some money-grubbing swindle operation (glaring at some sort of Z thingie) where the bottom line is yanking in more revenue from 'the marks'... er, the players. 

I don't feel an urge to go buy 'Tiny Speck' cards at Walgreens to redeem for crap half-broken features.

Even the most bitter people in this game have to admit that any perceived 'half-broken features' are almost entirely free of charge.  Naw, there's very little brokenness here.

----------------

Just say no-no to resets, but look forward to more very very stinky cheese.  That's the best outlook.
    Posted 12 years ago by Parrow Gnolle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you thank you SOOOO much for the clear, honest and thorough explanations you have all made about this change.  I've been in a lot of situations where major re-hauls were done, and the communication was dreadful.  This is NOT one of those situations, and I applaud you, Tiny Speck!  Thank you!
    Posted 12 years ago by Grem Sketch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • wow...what a thing to find in the forums!

...TinySpeck ~ I luv this game, and have spent many a happy hour playing...I will continue on playing and enjoying...kudos to you for seeing that changes needed to be made and having the courage to make them!!!

(...as for resets - eh, did it before, and can certainly do it again ~~this time however, I will visit the the Back Alley!!! ~ the one thing I will be somewhat unhappy over will be the loss of the Happy Crab badge ~ but, have done that twice now, so, not impossible  ;)

Bring it on Stoot, bring it on!
    Posted 12 years ago by Firestone1960 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Casombra Amberrose wrote: OMG please no resets!!!!!! I love my house and all the things I have accomplished! I don't want to lose my house, the skills I have worked on and all the currents and items I have amassed! Please please PLEASE no reset! I don't mind doing a beta but for those of us that have worked hard for what we have so far it really isn't fair to ask us to lose all that after it has been live!

No to the reset. Just no. Please.

Please try and do everything possible to prevent and avoid this.

Thank you, Stoot for your honesty well in advance. It means a lot to this Glitch. :)

@CleverCharacterName: Excellent post.
    Posted 12 years ago by Echo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Houses and Moving

We're not ready to share the whole plan here (since we're still settling a few of the finer details) but we can say this: it will be at least as easy to chose your neighbors as it is now (and probably much easier). The change will not be moving from one of the current housing types to another, but changing it so that houses (and land) are something that you create: expanding the size, upgrading the frame, designing the interior, choosing resources for your property, and so on. So, while you might not be able to re-create your favorite of the current Meadow cottages down to the pixel level, you will be able to make something entirely your own.

We will make every effort to make the conversion smooth and easy (including the aforementioned moving boxes for the items in your house) but it will be different no matter what. It will also be, in my opinion, infinitely better than what we have now — definitely a lot more fun. And I would be surprised if more than 1 person out of 500 is unhappy with the change in the end.
  • Thanks for the speedy reply Stoot, I still have no intention of cancelling. :)

Even though I'm going to be sad to have to move because I love my house it's going to be an adventure I guess.
    Posted 12 years ago by Leithwyn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Stoot: A RESET IS VERY UNLIKELY. WE ARE JUST BEING HONEST AND TELLING YOU IT IS A REMOTE POSSIBILITY.

We'll do everything we can do avoid it :)

Echo: Please try and do everything possible to prevent and avoid this.

They already said they would.  What more do you want?  Unicorns and fairy dust?  (On second thought, unicorns would be cool...)
    Posted 12 years ago by Adroix Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Stoot, the bonus credits are even better than pausing the subscription! I can see how it would be much easier on you, and that's definitely a bonus I'm willing to take to continue paying to play a beta (or gamma, if you will). 

My wardrobe is going to be HUGE!
    Posted 12 years ago by Kaessa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • CleverCharacterName wrote: "p.s. Please don't ever take this Public Relations approach in the future, your customer base will always hesitate to purchase "current version" when mentioning backwards-incompatibility with "next version". Backwards-incompatibility is always a possibility, but mentioning so much as the potential for it does nothing but hurt the customer perspective of the product."

Actually, as someone who has done a fair amount of work in PR, media, games etc. I take the opposite view: I think this kind of transparency is VERY much in keeping with the Internet "tone" and the values of transparency by the Web 2.0 world.

It would have taken TS NOTHING -- zero imagination -- to put out a stale announcement. Instead, the CEO of the company is right here on the boards talking to you.
    This is what social media is all about.
    It takes real stones to practice this kind of transparency and candor.
    I for one, find it very refreshing, and the direction business NEEDS to go in to maintain engagement with their customers.

Personally, this approach makes me an even more loyal customer.

YMMV.
    Posted 12 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm going to add myself to the list of "please no reset" people. As much as I've always wanted the honor of "being in the beta" and getting a pickle and all that jazz, I've realized something. None of that will make up the 99 hours I've devoted to accomplishing stuff in the last three-ish weeks. I've more or less renounced real life in favor of spending more time on Glitch, although if I lose all I've got on here, I may not come back. I feel really sorry for those who are up at levels 50-60. The amount of time they've had to spend doing rather menial tasks in the game (I'm looking at you mining) is incomprehensible to me. The previous resets (while I can't actually speak for those who had to deal with them, as I had not yet signed up) made sense. If people sign up knowing it's in beta, then they sign up expecting the worst. However, many people, myself included, signed up after this period, and expected smooth sailing (I've written about this kind of thing before; companies like Sony and Spotify have promised features then later removed them, in an act I've termed "Sonyfication"). While I'm a developer myself, and certainly acknowledge the fact that software can have bugs after launch, as I am also an end-user, I realize my responsibilities toward the end-user as a developer (e.g. making it a priority to cause as little disturbance to users as possible when there are indeed bugs).One possible solution (I realize I've never developed anything on as large a scale as Glitch; so correct me if I'm wrong on this) would be something like what Chrome does. Have a "stable channel" (e.g. Glitch as it is now), and a "beta channel." Then, completely informing them of the possible repercussions (resets included), allow them to opt into the "beta channel."That said, and to attempt to end on a somewhat positive note, I'm glad to see that things like housing and the ability for more player control over the world are being addressed. Remove the ability for players to kill each other by splank fight, and I think Glitch has the opportunity to become the perfect game (the lack of violence as a core gameplay element is key, in my opinion, and I applaud Tiny Speck for making such strides in this arena; also, I realize that the term "perfect" is subjective). For what it's worth, I'm not offended by or opposed to violent games. It's just not my cup of tea.
    Posted 12 years ago by Jus​tin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Is it possible that the release of Minecraft has affected the direction of the world?  Just curious.  Maybe just a little?

I don't know if I could survive another reset.  Ah....who's kidding who?  I'll just climb the ranks even faster this time ;)
    Posted 12 years ago by Jerry Garcia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Every time I read the forum heading for this the song "Going back to Cali" rings in my head....
    Posted 12 years ago by curiousfae Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Maybe a mass zombie invasion of Ur...and we have to regroup to stay alive until a vaccine can be found...
    Posted 12 years ago by bayBi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bold move, going back to beta (or gamma or whatever). I joined just after the launch, but I've heard a lot of stories about beta, and going back doesn't seem like I bad thing to me. Also, it's not really going back, is it? It's more like moving forward, but with bugs :)

Among all the panic about resets, there's been a few posts welcoming a reset, and when Vera Strange mentioned KoL, it got me thinking, even if there is no reset (I'm hoping there's no reset), maybe we should be given the option to if we want to? Something KoL-style in that you have to go through some sort of quest-like process to reset, and there are certain things you get to keep (badges, for one, maybe favor with the giants, icons, etc).
    Posted 12 years ago by Xain Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Call me a nublet, but where on Urth is the FAQ??
    Posted 12 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • At the bottom of the help page Innie - I had to look around for it too.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kookaburra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Getting more money from people right now is not our priority; making an awesome game is." <--- This statement right here from Stoot impacted me so much that I just went and bought a subscription, lol. I've never been apart of a game community with such honest devs before, who care about their players over profit. Thanks so much for being open devs and I trust you guys won't let us down. <3
    Posted 12 years ago by pixelGLOW Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Stoot and gang,

The most important quality of support is as much openness as possible without revealing what isn't decided, and you've done great.

I suspect everyone who loves Glitch and has invested significant time in UR looks forward to even better things, even if disruptive along the way.

I actually support a reset, if needed, as I trust your smarty pants dev team understands a reset doesn't have mean going back to zero.  Find a way to let Glitches keep their achievements, wealth (even if converted to currants), and special items (fun pickles, yetis, collections) and I'm guessing folks will be fine.  Heck, I think the idea of being reincarnated into a new world with new challenges while retaining some advantages from the prior life actually sound like a great gameplay mechanic for Glitch (or Glitch 2?).
    Posted 12 years ago by Kleb Subscriber! | Permalink
  • As Stoot has reiterated here, the new housing system is going to be amazing and customizable.  The one month blog posting was very clear that this was on its way.  My friends and I are really looking forward to it.  All those resources hoarded in my house are likely to get spent making my new house super awesome.  Hopefully, as has been hinted, this will be allowed to be on the exact same plot of land I currently possess but a much cooler same plot of land on the same street.
    Posted 12 years ago by Landar Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for the update! I'm looking forward to the changes, fo sho. I like the transparency of TS so much and I love that you guys never hide behind the marketing talk that some are suggesting here. Even if a reset were to become necessary, I'll keep playing. I mean, I've learned a lot of things about game play along the way that would change the way I started my character. And yes, I realize that that reset probably won't happen anyway! Can't wait for new houses!
    Posted 12 years ago by Penelope Sue Subscriber! | Permalink
  • OMG OMG OMG SO EXCITED! *frantic octopus-thlopping leaping about and whatnot*

It's like moving house to somewhere you've never been... you're excited! But scared! But pretty sure it's awesome, and so very worth it, or you wouldn't be doing it! And it could just be more of the same ol' that you're used to... or it could be even more amazingness and funtimes and awesomesauce than you'd ever dreamed! 

WE'VE GOT A GOLDEN TICKET! IT'S OURS, CHARLIE!
    Posted 12 years ago by Jennyanydots Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am excited that TS is revisiting some core game mechanics at this point. There are definitely some issues with the game today, as evidenced by the play dropoffs at certain tiers (first timers, people who make level 7 or so, people who make it to around level 25, people who finish off all skills...).  I am particularly looking forward to seeing what's done with houses - based on Stoot's post, I think they will be everything I have been hoping for and more.

Happy to continue being a subscriber while TS reinvents Glitch - mirth
    Posted 12 years ago by mirth Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ok then on the houses since is appears we will be losing them... do I get the 50k currants back that I paid for my house? At least it would be something to work with then.
    Posted 12 years ago by Casombra Amberrose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Re KoL and ascension and voluntary resets: we are huge fans of KoL (Kingdom of Loathing) and are proud that Jick (the KoLfather) plays Glitch. We have long been considering an ascension style mechanic so that might be something you see in the next version of Glitch :)
  • I had no idea Jick plays Glitch! That's awesome! In fact when getting new people to play, I often describe this game as a cross between minecraft and KoL
    Posted 12 years ago by Levantera Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Corageous move.
    I really like the promised changes.

Can we have a time frame for all this? Like "x to y months", "a year", or something?
    Posted 12 years ago by Ximenez Subscriber! | Permalink
  • From the FAQ:

When will Glitch “launch” again?
    We plan to launch once more sometime in Spring of 2012, but we’re going to take our time and make sure that everything is as it should be first. In the meantime, things will be pretty much normal, although you’ll see some really great additions to Glitch, as well as changes and improvements to everything you’ve already come to know in the game.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kookaburra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm not excited about this. I've been looking forward to the ability to customize our houses, but this is not what I thought it would be. I like my house. I worked my butt off to make sure I could buy it soon after reset, even though the purchase left me with 29C total. I do have a lot of stuff accumulated there, but moving it is not the biggest issue for me. Are we going to suddenly find ourselves homeless? Then will we have to compete with every other Glitchen to get a new house? Since the new housing system "will require a move" it seems that there will have to be a period with no housing, or that our current houses will just cease to exist. I don't find either possibility appealing.

I'm sure you are trying to make this as smooth as possible. I just wish I could believe that a great degree of smoothness is even a possibility.
    Posted 12 years ago by Audaria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ty, Kookaburra!
    Posted 12 years ago by Ximenez Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Im waiting for Omega. Just thought I'd put that out there
    Posted 12 years ago by Djoe6897 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Nothing like a few dozen rook attacks to take our minds off the reset (non-)issue! Well played! :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Pascale Subscriber! | Permalink