Topic

No Accounting for Taste - or- why the hate for bog houses?

Tastes vary. I'm glad they do.

But even the 50k modernist houses don't get the same bile the boghouses get. It seems their looks have inspired some of the more colorful negative reactions I've heard in this game.

I don't get it.

Hopefully the Gourd Houses will still be an option in the new housing system. I will miss my polliwog tank otherwise :(

Posted 12 years ago by MrVolare Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Whaa.. I'm sure I hear more about how unattractive the modern houses are than the bog houses. I think the bog houses are quaint and cozy. But every style has their fans, which is lovely. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Little Miss Giggles Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Tastes are subjective.  There is no such thing as a popular consensus when it comes to this matter.  I am sure I have read just as many knocks against the 50k houses as I have against the swamp homes.

Anyway, what of it?  Not everyone is going to like every style of housing; that's why they made different kinds.
    Posted 12 years ago by Warrender Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I do like my sweet little meadow cottage better, but bog houses are nice too! They're like being a badger.
    Posted 12 years ago by Shiromisa Kaya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh yes, my meadow cottage is my favorite style in the game at the moment, but I like the bog ones as well.
    Posted 12 years ago by Little Miss Giggles Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Warrender  Certainly. And I have lived in many of the different houses and have my own opinions. It just seems to me most of the negative reactions I've encountered to boghouses is rather vehement. Seems an odd thing to get a rise out of people. Wondered if I was missing some point beyond Brown being an unpopular colour scheme.
    Posted 12 years ago by MrVolare Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I LOVE the bog houses! I'd have one if I didn't LOVE my fruit and veggie meadow house just as much!
    Posted 12 years ago by Ida Keen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bah bog homes are ugly as sin. They are dark, small and dank looking... very depressing. I feel the bog homes are like apartments in the ghetto ugly ugly ugly and feel like I will have mold growing all over the place. Enough to make me shiver. You can't even look out a window.. though nothing to look at even if you could.. just a moldy swap to look at... ick.
    Posted 12 years ago by Casombra Amberrose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love them. i feel like a unprofessional miner, and I just LOVE it. but i really want crops! thats what makes me sad.

And plus, polliwogs FTW!
    Posted 12 years ago by ugli Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Beauty and the beholder's eye...

Honestly, any of the other house styles that I have seen are more aesthetically pleasing to my eye.. In terms of aesthetics, even the holes under the Ancestrial lands are prettier.

For me, the only thing the circa 1950s homes offer is enlarged space and the number of growing spots. Not that that's bad at all, just that it doesn't do anything for me artistically.  They're way too bland and blase', dull  and "little houses, on the hillside, and they're all made out of ticky tacky..." for me.

But that's a personal choice. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Woochi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @MrVolare:Who knows what people are thinking of when they post such opinions?  Does it really matter?  To tell the honest truth, I chose my current home a while back because I wanted to grow herbs and had no use for crops (also being able to buy crops helped the decision).  I never thought much of the actual look and frankly thought I'd probably get sick of it after a while.

Now I am utterly charmed by my 7.5k swamp house.  It's got all the room I will ever need and doesn't feel empty and soulless like my previous 50k Alakol house. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Warrender Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've lived in many of the houses here, and frankly, wasn't a fan of the bog houses (too dark/too glum) until I lived in one.  They are probably one of my favorite houses now. My least favorite is the look of the tree houses (and trying to get in/out if you aren't on the ground), but many people love those. My all time favorite is the large meadow fruit houses - so bright and cheery, my second favorite is the artsy large meadow house (due to the smaller cabinet, but I love the marble floors).  My favorite mix of resources is the smallest of the rock/cave houses, and they really aren't that glum if you stay topside. I find the rest of the rock/cave houses not worth it for the price. However, I live in a modern house.  I do like the style overall, just wish they had more tree patches for the price.  I mainly have it because 1) the challenge to get it back after reset/launch, 2) wanted a larger house in case the renovations we'd be able to make in the future were based on the current house we had.  To me, most of the homes have some sort of redeeming quality.  I think if more people actually tried out the bog houses, they'd like them...they are quaint, homey, cozy, and have lovely layouts that are fun to run around in.  The outsides leave a lot to be desired, but they are true gems for their interiors.
    Posted 12 years ago by b3achy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • They are dark and dismal. And the layout is very inconvenient
    Posted 12 years ago by Tsu Dho Nimh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Woochi: Hehe, I've been known to be somewhat tacky. ;) Now, if there was only some way to make those little cottages day-glo purple and blue...
    Posted 12 years ago by Shiromisa Kaya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love the bog houses, but you can only grow Egg Plants and herbs in them (and until potions came in, herbs were basically useless).
    Posted 12 years ago by Columbina Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have a large meadow fruit house, which I love. But I would trade it and 100K currants in a second for a large bog house with an egg tree patch and a couple of regular tree patches, plus a 4 plot veggie garden in addition to the herbs. Bog houses have a lot of personality.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kookaburra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would buy a large, nice bog house.  I am in a sterile 50K becasue I wanted the animal pen, 4 patches, and the big cabinet.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lucille Ball Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've lived in all the houses and least enjoyed the bog ones. I need some open space and they made me feel too closed in. My favourite of all are the rock/cave homes with the upstairs garden; pity they're too small. I really hope customization will let me build something like that :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Zira Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I originally was going for a cottage, but then I saw the bog houses and just fell in love. For me, neither the cottages or the 50k houses can match the wonders of a bog house. As a happy swamp dweller, let me take you on a tour of my lovely home!

http://i.imgur.com/YmdsF.jpg Here we having the entrance way/dining room.

http://i.imgur.com/GgA06.jpg To the left of that we have the potions room and my insta-chute to the basement.

i.imgur.com/I3oJX.jpg Below that floor is my living room with my pet baby pig, map collection, and icon worship area.

i.imgur.com/l1y02.jpg To the right of the living room is the minibar. (Please ignore any large amounts of hooch ready to be illegally distributed.)

i.imgur.com/rBjNf.jpg And at last we survey the basement, softly lit by my lovely firefly swarm. The big pile of dirt is for storage and for the piggies to roll in. (They just love it.)

Thanks for visiting!
    Posted 12 years ago by Drakani Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I followed the rush to Alakol in beta, but on reset, I knew that I wanted a bog house. It means some sacrifices in terms of what you can grow for yourself, but the different rooms make it easy to keep things separate, with the equivalent of a piggy pen by the egg plant.
    Posted 12 years ago by Holgate Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love the looks of the bog houses, themselves, but I can't play in them too long at a time.

The gloomy feel of the bogs (which I think is awesome that it can have that feel) tends to get my depression rumbling so, the account that I have in a bog house atm gets played for a bit and then I have to go to a different account to do other things to take my mind of off it lol. 
    Posted 12 years ago by sgjo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just don't understand what these people are going on about when they call the Bog houses gloomy/dismal. I think the Modernist houses are gloomy and dismal. Bog houses have little decorations all over the place, loads of warm lighting (fireflies even!), and pleasing rustic furniture.

Heck, I'd be willing to say that only the cottages are the same realm as cozy as the Bog houses.

Anyway, I knew as soon as I reviewed all of the available options for housing in the game that I wanted a Bog house.
    Posted 12 years ago by Zinfidel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • As I said...I love the look of the bog houses - what may not seem gloomy to you, may have the opposite feel to someone else...
    Posted 12 years ago by sgjo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love my bog house!  I spent a long time being choosy over which house to buy, and tried several before moving into Froughtful Arms.  Now I could really only be tempted away from the bog if there were houses in Uralia style.
    Posted 12 years ago by Ring Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would consider leaving everything in my home behind just to get first dibs on an Uralia house.
    Posted 12 years ago by Zinfidel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I also see the bog area and houses as cozy/warm and full of life, with the modern houses feeling more "gloomy". The cottages are wonderfully cute, but the non-interactive tables and simple floor plan just don't do it for me.

And yes, the only thing I can imagine pulling me away from my beloved bog would also be a Uralia style house. *_*
    Posted 12 years ago by Drakani Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The bog houses are Nest magazine houses and the modern houses are Wallpaper houses, the latter being more about money than taste. Also, having chickens in a bog house is awesome. They fall through the holes. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Nomi Simple Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love my 50k Alakol house. It has an amazing view of the beach. Also I like the clean look of it and having a garden in the house. I have a friend who lives in a 10k Aranna house. t is amazing with the secret attic and snow.
    Posted 12 years ago by Paxton Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think the Bog houses are lovely. <3  I really hope that the new housing customisations allow me to make my sterile modern house into a cosy Mazza'la style one. <3
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I find the sewer system in my 50k is preferable to having to pump the tank every now and again. My gourd in Amerran just dumped the waste out of a hole between those gourd-legs and smelt up the neighborhood. The water is a little harder than I'd like, but dang that sewer's nice.
    Posted 12 years ago by Fitzibitzin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think it's because it feels like the game almost forces you to have a bog house right now, with herbs what they are.

Mine's growing on me. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Jigsaw Forte Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't own one but I love the bog houses!  3 levels! If you could grow regular produce and a couple of regular trees I'd have one.  It will be interesting to see what the buildable housing comes up like.
    Posted 12 years ago by Marla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think bog dwellers got a raw deal with the claustrophobic, windowless, dark bog houses. If I could have my way (which it seems may be a possibility for all of us when the housing is changed), I would put in more herb plots, more space to store stuff, and perhaps a deck with a nice view of the beautiful marshes.
    Posted 12 years ago by N2ZOrtolanaBlue Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't find my bog house gloomy, but I second Bruja's suggestion -- it would be nice to have a view of the marshes. After all, the bog houses aren't underground. No windows, though, I suppose...
    Posted 12 years ago by Fergmus Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I sold my 50k house in Alakol just to move to a little bog house, because I think they are so cute and I love the music there.  I hope future homes will incorporate some of the artwork from the bogs!  
    Posted 12 years ago by Wintera Woodswitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't like the 50k homes, and I love my little cottage <3

The bogs aren't bad, I just wish we had the option to have herbs AND crops. Herbs just began to look interesting with the potion and tincture stuff, but before I had no reason to trade my cottage for a bog.
    Posted 12 years ago by Swarley Stinson Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love my 50k house for all the crop space, the large closet and the trees. Wish it had a 5th tree spot though. Yes, it does seem a bit soulless. The Grodal cottages have a much better feel to them, but they lack the room. As for the swarm houses, they do seem rather damp and depressing. Only option for trees is an egg plant, and the herb garden is small. Even the largest swamp house has what I consider a way too small herb garden. They should have had a 30k and 50k version of swamp houses. Or even something similar to the Grodal cottages, except with herb gardens.
    Posted 12 years ago by Ahye Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like the bog houses, but I love the view in my 50k house in Alakol. Sweeping vistas from my balcony are so restful, it doesn't matter that the rest of my house is one big storage room.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kaessa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @ugli, I've heard those creatures called polliwogs and lizards, but I think they may be fireflies. I have two strings of dead ones drying on either side of the shrunken heads in my foyer, plus a live one that looks like he's real happy he wasnt home with the rest of his family :) There's also a bucket of their little corpses right next to my pantry! Yum.
    Posted 12 years ago by N2ZOrtolanaBlue Subscriber! | Permalink
  • the bog houses are awesome.

they aren't dark and gloomy. if you feel they are, bottle a ton of fireflies and place the jars around the place as decoration. the whole house feels slightly enchanted that way.

speaking of decorations, the bog houses are the only houses with raised surfaces to decorate. you can actually place stuff on the tables, so decorating can be more than piles of stuff on the ground.

also, hard to get around? surely you jest! the shoots get you downstairs immediately and the ladders back up are as fast as the 50k stair system.

also, also, pour a rainbow under a bog house shoot! up the shoot, down the shoot, up the shoot, down the shoot! makes a great centerpiece for a house party.
    Posted 12 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It took me a long time to finally move out Groddle Meadow into a bog house but I finally did and I love it SO MUCH. I love the decor. I can see about it feeling dark and dank but I don't actually get that too much, Although when I head off into the world exploring it's nice to be back in bright, different areas. In the end, I can buy the produce I really need and I get to play with herbs which I'm excited to do :D
    Posted 12 years ago by QueenKellee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I really like the bog homes- they are arguably the most well-designed houses in Glitch (in my opinion). I had to move out into a cave with a pigpen so that I could have more pigs, but if they new housing system gives bog homes (gourds apparently) with pigpens, you know I'll be back down there in a heartbeat.
    Posted 12 years ago by Rhubewook Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am incredibly charmed by all the architectural and decorative details of the bog houses -- they are by far my favorites of all the housing options I've seen so far in Glitch :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Ashbet2 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've said that the bog houses are not for me, but I definitely don't hate on them. I find the overwhelming brown is no more to my taste than the sterile white of the modern houses. The killer for me was visiting a couple and discovering that I needed to jump to get between levels for the gardens, patches and the main house. I am jumping impaired, so that just doesn't work for me. Having a different style and layout with barnacles, fireflies and herbs would be very nice, though. So far I still like the meadow cottages best for the combination of resources, coziness, view and location.
    Posted 12 years ago by KhaKhonsu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I LOVE my bog fish tank! It's so cool and creepy at the same time! I like the space and the table that I have now where I can place things on top of. I like how I can keep my piggies away from my herb plots so they let me tend to the garden in peace!

I miss my Gas, Bubble and Spice plant though and planting veggies!

My least favorite are the expensive homes! They are so institutional.
    Posted 12 years ago by Tawanda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think all of the houses suffer if all you have to go on is the pictures on the realty page. My alt has a GM cottage. It really didn't look that nice in the pictures, but it is wonderful. My bog house didn't look all that appealing in the pictures but it really has a lot of charm. those little pics of an unpopulated house do none of them justice. Even the Scandanavian prison houses aren't as bad in person as they look in the pictures.
    Posted 12 years ago by Stinky McBinky Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bog houses will never appear on Unhappy Hipsters.
    Posted 12 years ago by Holgate Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like the little details like little root talismans hanging from the walls.  I'd like to have the decor but I like the space/location/view of the modern home.  And I don't like how dank and dim it seems.  It looks all wet and claustrophobic with the roots all over the place to me.

Hopefully in a few months we can get some really crazy stuff.  I'd love to do say, an Edwardian style estate house with fancy curtains and paintings instead of a modern home.  Or maybe just a grass hut and use the rest of my huge ground space as a free range animal/tree space.  And be able to pick if I want to grow crops or herbs.

I guess right now there aren't any houses I really like, so I just purchased for amenities and I'm now waiting for the chance to get some style. :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Space Core Subscriber! | Permalink