Topic

Incoming map tool : you can help

Hey all !

I'm doing a little helper widget that will include a realtime mini-map, among other things.
The API isn't offering the coordinates I need unfortunately, and I doubt it will happen very soon.
So I could use some volunteers, if anyone is interested, to help me get the position of each street on their according map
I already did a good part of it, but I thought I'd be funnier with some collaborative dimension :]

Here is how to do it :
Go get the little tool I prepared over here
You will see three files in the archive:
-Mapper.exe
-Mapper.ahk
-Map.ini
And a folder with the maps (thx to Glitch Atlas)
If you don't trust the exe, you can launch instead the source ahk file, after installing Autohotkey
I wish I did a web tool instead, but I have no idea how to :]
The Map.ini is there as reference, but the idea is to complete the collaborative version, located at the bottom of this post
So after you launched the mapper, select a picture according to what's left to do
This mapper "app" is a very simple script that will get the mouse position, alt-tab to the nearest window, and paste the coordinates there
So to use it, open Map.ini first in a notepad and place the cursor on the appropriate street/line, then switch to the mapper
Click in the middle (be precise ;) of the street, and it will paste the position automatically in the notepad

I hope it's not too complicated (or too bugged :p as I'm really not a developer)
Alternatively, you could go for example there, and write down the position manually for each street
I started to do it this way, but it's a lot longer
Anyway I'll be glad if some people join the party
Don't go crazy and do everything yourself tho :p
If you have any trouble ask me
Thanks!

http://notepad.cc/gaodoji53

Posted 12 years ago by Lemo Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• This looks like an awesome idea!
    Posted 12 years ago by Serra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Apparently someone had the Ix and Uralia completist badge, thx =)
  • Wow, that's awesome!  If we get that work done, we should be able to make major improvements to the map-related sites.  Good idea Lemo.
    Posted 12 years ago by Janitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Interesting. I've tried doing this for Shimla Mirch and details have been added to notepad.cc. Not sure though if it saved correctly. Maybe I'll try another region if time permits.
    Posted 12 years ago by roderick ordonez Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Janitch Well I'll be glad if other apps can benefit of that too ^^

@Roderick Thanks! That looks pretty good to me
    Notepad.cc is a funny thing indeed, you don't need to login, or save anything :]
    On the other hand, anyone can delete everything with a single-click ha xD
    I'll do backups
    Btw to everyone, don't pay attention to the little "x" that appears, the position that get's recorded is right where you clicked, at the top-left of the square
  • I added a few. Tamila, Pollokoo, and Xalanga.
    Posted 12 years ago by Scarf Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Good job, we're getting there!
    Seriously, isn't that funnier than any crossword? :p
  • Oh someone did a massive update with Groddle Meadow, Caverns, Deeps, Jethimadh and Kajuu :]
    only 4 areas to go!
  • So who's up for the last two areas ? :]
    I'm almost done with the code
    Testing coming soon!
  • Take a look here
    www.glitch.com/groups/RHF5G...

Feel free to use the coordinates, but please if you find any change/error, let me know.
    Thanks
    Posted 12 years ago by UXRoot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Okay, last two areas done. 

Comparing a bit with UXRoot's list, most of the coordinates are fairly similar, but as finding the middle of a road by eye alone isn't precise, they aren't exactly the same. I couldn't see the end of the road properly sometimes so the differences would be greater in those cases. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Scarf Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @UXRoot
    Oh looks like we were working on the same task!
    I think I'll use mine as I prefer to work with this format, but now devs will have multiple sources :]
    Out of curiosity, did you get the coords manually or with some kind of tool like mine?

Looking forward to Glitchremote then
    I'll be sharing stuff with Glitch Altlas already, is your site gonna be something similar?

@Scarf
    Thanks again!
    You guys definitely deserve a cartographer badge ;)
  • There you go, to all who helped
    Ace Cartographer
    (:
  • Very nice work all who contributed!  This data has allowed me to make the street names clickable in the glitch-atlas region maps and extend the heatmaps to the region level.
    Posted 12 years ago by Janitch Subscriber! | Permalink