Topic

Questions About New Housing and Group Halls -- NOW WITH STOOT ANSWERS!

UPDATE:  Scarlett Bearsdale has provided a summary of questions and answers here
Thanks Scarlett!

**  ORIGINAL POST  FOLLOWS *****************************************

I have many questions in my mind about the new housing and group halls that will be coming to Glitch. I am going to post some of them here. Maybe others have questions they would like to post.
HOUSING QUESTIONS

1. Once the new housing is introduced, what steps will current users need to take to acquire a house and what steps will new users need to take to acquire a house?

2. Will a new house consist of a template that can be extended and added to?  If so, will there be one template that everyone starts with, or will there be different starting templates to choose from?

3. Will houses have an exterior that is visible from public space such that any player could pass by, see the house, drop something in front of it, or knock on the door if they wish?  If so, will there be ways to customize this exterior to make something that is visually unique?

4. Will there be spaces with clusters of houses similar to the current housing quarters?  If so, will there be public access to these spaces such that any player can come into them and wander around? 

5. Will the new houses have a permission system that is more flexible and layered than the current permission system which allows anyone who has access to a house to take almost everything that's not locked into a cabinet?

GROUP HALL QUESTIONS

1. Will a group hall look like and function like (a) a building, (b) an outdoor street or streets, (c) an outdoor street or streets with one or more buildings, or (d) any of these a group wants?

2. Will group halls be available only to formal groups or can a collection of players get together and create a "group hall" without also creating a formal group?

3. Will group halls be considered to be owned by their associated group (however such groups are defined), owned by a subset of the group, owned by the entire community, or what?

4. Will group halls be accessible only to those who are members of their associated group, or will there be a more flexible permission system (e.g. public, public w/ blocklist, permanent guest list, limited-time invitation, etc.)?
--------------------------------------------------------

Maybe TS will answer some of these questions, maybe not.  Either way, I'm interested to know what others want to know :)

UPDATE:  See below for some answers from stoot :)

Posted 12 years ago by Splendora Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Stoot, thanks a million for taking the time to update us.  Especially thank you for the time frame. I was curious too. I am really looking forward to the new system and overjoyed that I can have lots of housing style choices and flexibility about what is in my house as far as gardens and patches.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lucille Ball Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mal'akh, re "Makes me wonder if it's possible to "imagine" a door that connects your house directly to the Group Hall" — yeah, that's what I was trying to say :)
    Posted 12 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you so much for the clear answers! I now feel better about proceeding. I'm not thrilled about the conversion ratio being so low because it discounts the enormous amount of time and effort I and players like me have put into the game but I understand not wanting new players to feel like they're at an enormous disadvantage as well.

Maybe this will encourage me to take a break and get a life until the new stuff comes.... probably not.
    Posted 12 years ago by SkyWaitress Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mal'akh, re "Makes me wonder if it's possible to "imagine" a door that connects your house directly to the Group Hall" — yeah, that's what I was trying to say :) -- Stoot

Ooh! That would be wonderful! No more climbing up and down the trees to reach the neighborhood coop.
    Posted 12 years ago by Mal'akh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @SkyWaitress

I believe it's a matter of decreasing returns. Stoot has said that there are no hard limits to expanding housing, but it would be progressively harder. So while the conversion ratio might sound low it actually fits.
    Posted 12 years ago by Mal'akh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Will those with roommates be able to pool resources/imagination to collectively build an awesome space? Will keyholders have the ability to "create" the space, too?
    Posted 12 years ago by Vera Mars Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Here's my number one question:

1. Will players be able to contribute designs for furniture, wallpaper, pictures on the wall, or other decorations? Will we be able to actually actively use our own imaginations to shape the game, or will we be using "imagination" as a narrowly defined game mechanic to be mere consumers?

I admire the design skills of the TS staff, and I know they will come up with all sorts of cool things that folks—including me—will want. But I sincerely hope that there will be some opportunity for contribution and exchange of items truly created by players (and I don't mean stuff merely crafted from game-supplied recipes).

I would love to see an in-game marketplace flourish that included the creative output of players (music, artwork, writing, interior design, architecture, etc.).* To me, the interesting idea behind Glitch has always been: "All the consumables are abundant and, eventually, easily acquired with modest effort. So, young glitchen, what will you do NOW?"

If we are destined to be nothing but consumers, my interest in Ur will fade rapidly. I am hanging in because I hope that it will be otherwise.

What say you, Stoot?

*I understand that this might require some form of staff moderation/approval. I think it would be well worth the additional overhead.
    Posted 12 years ago by Pascale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • As long as I can make everything pink and glittery I will be happy.

If not, I WILL WREAK MAH HOWWIBLE REWENGAY
    Posted 12 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • sorry, Joe Blow...

I really appreciate stoot taking the time to stop and further explain to us some concepts. Will we fully understand until they are implemented? no. and yes, answers beget more questions (how much customization will we have? what kind of skills are coming?), but it is impossible for staff to anticipate them all, since just the ones here have shown different focuses and viewpoints. for every one question asked here, there are probably two or three more from players that haven't read this thread.

I'm very grateful for the 8 weeks answer. I have been spending most days since around christmas refreshing the forums, looking for info on new changes, trying to hurry them up. now that I know approximately how long, I can ease up and not get so frustrated when I don't see changes in the game log or new staff posts (I kinda felt like in old beta, constantly refreshing, waiting for the closed sign to come down).

Golly gee, thanks stoot
    Posted 12 years ago by bored no more Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So 8 weeks is when it makes sense to play again. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Kalstept Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for your detailed answers, stoot! It is very much appreciated :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Aurora Dellaterra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow. I hope this thread is done for now, seeing as Stoot seems to have answered the basics of what is to come and when, because if I have to read one more post saying 'yay, thank you for the info, TS is great, HOWEVER...MY question/concern is this...' I think I will go crazy. We seem to have been given enough general info to stop the worrying and whatnot and just enjoy the game until that time comes(abt 8 wks) when probably every question can/will be answered by the introduction of said changes.

(if this doesnt make sense, try reading this whole thread and when you get to this point you might understand)

love u all, glitches (except maybe the ones who steal items from others door fronts)
    Posted 12 years ago by Sir Mixalatte Subscriber! | Permalink
  • only one question:
    would be possible to buy the "imagination" by credits as well?
    i.e. for some items or land
    Posted 12 years ago by babi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The  conversion ratio seems low but remember that those of us who have lots of currents now don't really enjoy much of an advantage for having collected so much wealth as there really isn't much to spend it on right now.   At present having a milliion currents isn't really much more fun than having 30 000.   Less than 25, 000 currents and you will feel a bit disadvantaged in the game but anything more doesn't really make much difference after you've bought your house. It does give you access to cubimals, and a few useless rare items.  It gives you the ability to host a party or two.  It doesn't give you much more by way of opportunities to do different things.
    Posted 12 years ago by Treesa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sorry Sir Mixalatte, but I still do not have an answer to my question.  Which I have asked before, multiple times.  And I think it is VERY relevant, probably to more people than just me.  So, if you don't want to see it, stop reading now.

QUESTION:  I maintained my subscription when you went back to beta because I hope it will continue to be a game that I love.  However, I am not at all excited about the "major economic changes" that are coming.  I hope it will still be fun, but I have doubts.  I do not play Farmville or any similar games in large part because I don't have any interest in soliciting 'friends' for items.  This new economy sounds dangerously like one from Farmville.  If I find that I DO NOT LIKE the "new" version of Glitch, will I be able to get a refund at that time?  (Please note, that I asked this question before the refund deadline and did not get an answer.  I stayed based on faith.)
    Posted 12 years ago by Audaria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Rewengay?

*mentally adopts several silly accents to uncover translation*

Nope.

Rewengay?
    Posted 12 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Nanookie, my best guess was "revenge".  Bit of a stretch but makes contextual sense?
    Posted 12 years ago by FaerieInGrey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That's how you'd pronounce 'revenge' in a Latin class,under the new pronunciation.  (And I suppose nobody is taught the old pronunciation any more.)

If 'revenge' were a Latin word, that is!  :)
    Posted 12 years ago by oscarette Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I agree with Audaria. I love glitch, but if it becomes dependent on soliciting friends for items, I do not want to be playing.
    Posted 12 years ago by MsKelseyClaire Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @engagedtone: I'm apparently showing my age here, too-when Geocities got rid of the neighbourhoods...I stopped using it.

This is my problem-I want geographical neighbourhoods, because I like to accidentally meet people. The way this now sounds is rather like any other social networking thing-only about the people you already know. I don't really want just an imaginary neighbourhood in a game that uses such beautiful geographical differences. I want to be able to say I live in a certain region. A house in my imagination only just sounds like I'm a hermit crab or a snail, carrying my house around. Why not have the option to assign a house a permanent region somewhere?

And I second the refund question-I also have an annual subscription, but I'm really sceptic about the changes in economy (there's a reason I don't do any Farmville type of "game") and housing.
    Posted 12 years ago by Alyx Sands Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mal'akh, re "Makes me wonder if it's possible to "imagine" a door that connects your house directly to the Group Hall" — yeah, that's what I was trying to say :) -- StootOoh! That would be wonderful! No more climbing up and down the trees to reach the neighborhood coop.

-- even better, this would allow the creation of "pubs", where your house/friend-street is accessible from inside the pub.   

I suggested some time ago that what the game needs is a bar next to every subway station.  A place where you can habitually drop in for a drink and pick up your mail on your way home.   The ability to create a shared public space that you and your friends visit by default as they pass to and from their houses would be a great thing to have.  

were this the case, Alyx, instead of saying "I live in longbottom track", you could say "I have rooms at the Crown and Thistle.    

Dibs on that group hall name, btw.  
    Posted 12 years ago by WalruZ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My only question:  is "about 8 weeks" a longer or shorter time than "soon?"
    Posted 12 years ago by Hawkwell Subscriber! | Permalink
  • After the conversion,  rather than 1 : 50 : 1,000, the differences between them might be more like 1 : 10 : 100 or even 1 : 5 : 10 (it depends on the curve and we have a lot more math to do before we'll decide that). Bottom line: if you are ahead now, you will be ahead afterwards, but not as far ahead. ~ stoot barfield

Well, I'm really sorry that I missed the focus group for this "little" change to the game, since it would be of great importance to those of us who've logged many hours building up wealth and experience.

This "leveling of the playing field" sounds all too familiar.  In fact, the real world geo-political entities that have tried it have likewise resorted to telling it's participants that their money is now "imagination".

In the spirit of these changes, I have come up with a new pricing scheme for you, Stoot.

All new players, under level 10, will pay the following.

Tin - 4.9 cents per month
    Copper 8.9 cents per month
    Molybdenum (where you get lots of votes on issues that concern you, like this one) 14.9 cents per month

Players from level 10 to level 30 pay the following

Tin - 49 cents per month
    Copper - 89 cents per month
    Molybdenum - 1.49 per month

But all experienced players, over level 30, for the privilege of having achieved such a high level of skill and income, will pay the following.

Tin 49.95 per month
    Copper - 89.95 per month
    Molybdenum (it's really worth it to go for this - even though you don't get any votes) only $149.95!

In short, I think you'll find my new system, just as genius as the new "imagination" system!  Just imagine how many people will want to be level 30 and higher!
    Posted 12 years ago by Mablem Tiipot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This: " Thank you so much for the clear answers! I now feel better about proceeding." QFT!

I too dislike the idea of a solely player-run economy but on the other hand ALL the other changes are sounding so super exciting I'm finding it difficult to feel negative.  Hopefully the vendor buying will continue long enough for me to earn back all the currants I just spent on Helga and Friendly. . XD
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I wonder how many people will bother to travel all the way to Besara if no one is living there. I use Besara as an example because I used to live there. The only people I ever saw were there because they also lived there, rarely there was someone on a completist badge quest but hardly ever. Besara is not unique, certainly not substiantly different from Bortola which at least has a subway station. I'm worried that because people don't have a home on a street that entire regions will be completely abandoned and because there is no need for new streets there will be no street projects.
    Posted 12 years ago by Octo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • babizorix, re: "would be possible to buy the "imagination" by credits as well? (i.e. for some items or land)"

No — you get imagination from the same things which currently give you XP (actions in the world, quest rewards, etc.) It is not something you buy with cash.
  • ^ Reading that makes me :D

I love TS's stance on buy to win and such. Makes me giddy to see a developer really cares about there playerbase.
    Posted 12 years ago by Draron Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I hope you mean regions, not religions, Octo.

"there is no need for streets anymore. I quit Catholicism" :P
  • Oops, LOL. I did mean regions.
    Posted 12 years ago by Octo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Much like the hoarding question, I have a question about badges. I'm level 60 and have been on a badge binge. Sadly, these badges don't really get me anything except the badge itself (and some favor) and lots of wasted XP. This XP goes out into the nether as my meter is full. Should I stop getting badges for these 8 weeks because I'm assuming they'll give me imagination once the change comes?
    Posted 12 years ago by Malus Agricola Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Do I understand this correctly: Under the new system I will lose 90% of my XP and 90% of my currants?
    Posted 12 years ago by Shiyan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm sorry if this has been asked. I missed it if it was.

I have my lovely new house all built up and shiny. 6 months later i'm bored with how it looks. Can I sell/refund/take apart items then "Re Build" it again but choosing other options? :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Misha Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Audaria & Alyx Sands: I'm having trouble coming up with a way to draw a parallel between what we're talking about and Farmville: in Farmville, you don't interact with other players at all, the entire economy is run by the "game" (as opposed to other players) and you continually need to either pester other people or pay cash to advance further. Glitch has none of those elements and we're not proposing to add any. Can you explain the similarity you see?

As for refunds, if we intended to make it so that you could get a refund at any time we would have said that, rather than announcing a specific period and a deadline. I think the policy of "refunds for any reason, even if you've already spent your credits, only taking away the last stipend no matter how long you've had a subscription, no strings attached and no hidden tricks" announced with over a month of warning, sent out by email, and posted in multiple places on the site was as generous as we can reasonably be (refunds cost us a lot: I don't just mean the foregone revenue, but the fees and the cost of staff to do verification and processing).
  • Shiyan: "Under the new system I will lose 90% of my XP and 90% of my currants?"

No: you will lose 100% of your XP (we won't have XP in the game any more) and some of your currants will be converted to Imagination (the exact amount has not yet been decided).
  • I think what Shiyan means that, as a high-level player, the conversion ratios will result in them losing 90% of their relative wealth
    Posted 12 years ago by Aurora Dellaterra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well, the answer is still "no" because (a) the two systems are not isomorphic and (b) we don't know what the curve will be yet (there's an enormous amount of balancing to be done with the pricing of upgrades, land, etc.)
  • There's a relationship game played sometimes in various settings--you trust that you will be caught as you fall backward into a partner's arms, or you allow yourself to be lifted by a group, staying relaxed while it happens.

I know it's not universal experience here but I have enjoyed myself so much in the last couple of months that I wouldn't hesitate to just trust that the changes coming will be just as much fun.

Also, as I face level 60, I can't help but be glad that this substantial revision will give me much more to do.  It'll be new, yet familiar.  Therefore, I am not at all worried.  I think the support and transparency here is all but unprecedented.  

Some people are bordering on rudeness here.  It's a game.  If you don't like what happens, and can't give them time to adjust things as they go, you don't need a lemon law or small claims court.  All you have to do is log out and not come back, if you are disappointed or frustrated enough.  
    Posted 12 years ago by So sorry Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Misha: "I have my lovely new house all built up and shiny. 6 months later i'm bored with how it looks. Can I sell/refund/take apart items then "Re Build" it again but choosing other options?"

Yes and no: you won't be able to sell it (you are the only possible owner) and I don't know think we'll have a single "reset" button which lets you start over from scratch, BUT you can change any part at any time (we imagine it being more of an evolutionary process for most players) and it is likely that transitioning to other layouts (e.g., from the meadow style of house and yard side-by-side to the cave style of yard-above-house) will cause more dramatic "reset-like" changes.
  • @Stoot: I know I did not post a question regarding landscape, architecture, and a sense of place earlier in this thread.
    So here's the question: Will housing have a sense of place, the ability to style themely architecture (ie, bogs, vs. groddle, vs. aranna, etc.)?  You mention transitioning between layouts.  Could you illuminate that a bit more? Because I think you and I have ended up on the same page -- ie, the notion of starting with a home "chassis" that one then bolts on accessories. 

@Silky: Like you, am excited about changes to come.  I've minimally participated in this thread, because I did not want to add to the clamor. 
    Posted 12 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 Silky.  Thank you Stoot for taking the time to clear so many of our questions up.
    Posted 12 years ago by Li'll Missy Brenda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I wonder if it will be possible to bolt a white mansion balcony garden onto the top of a meadow living room, all with a big bog basement....
    Posted 12 years ago by WalruZ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • TY, stoot, for all of your time and patience in answering our questions :)

I must say that the xp vs imagination vs whatever is way over my head - only because I'm a "hands on" learner, so I can hardly wait to give it a thorough check out when the time comes to see it in action lol

The housing has me drooling!! Being able to create it the way we want by "earning" the things we need to do so (imagination? currants? blood, sweat and tears? - don't care coz it sounds like a total blast!!)

And just knowing that there'll be other animals? - Puts the icing on the cake for me!!

Again, ty and all of those who are working so "hard...so, so very hard"... to bring us an even more wonderful fun filled game!!
    Posted 12 years ago by sgjo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • HURRAY !!!
    More kind of gardens , this makes me jump from joy !!!!
    So happy :))) ty ty ty so much :))))))
    Posted 12 years ago by Great Brain Robbery Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like all the changes announced and suggested here. Thanks for the info stoot and for the 8 weeks of anticipation.

My final word (and all my votes) is: SHEEP
    Posted 12 years ago by Kookaburra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • HURRAY !!!
    More kind of gardens , this makes me jump from joy !!!!
    So happy :))) ty ty ty so much :))))))
    Posted 12 years ago by Great Brain Robbery Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Nanookie - See here  for the rewengee! 
    www.dailymotion.com/video/x...

25m 45 for the quote (slightly misquoted)
    9m 43 for the best scene
    Posted 12 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Questions

1.)
    From what I'm hearing, it kinda sounds like your house will be put onto a street that is shared with the houses of your friends. Is that the case?

2.) It also sounds like the level system is going to be removed entirely. While I am happy to hear that, as the whole level system seems rather arbitrary anyway, where does this leave things like Energy boosts and level-up bonuses? Will Imagination boost your stats, and are there rewards for hitting Imagination total milestones?
    Posted 12 years ago by Aeralis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If levels will still exist, will they still be capped?
  • Just wondering when testing will begin on the new system, and will be be an opportunity to join in the testing.  Very excited about all of it. 

I personally don't care if we wind up resetting back to 0.  In fact, I kinda like that idea (I know most people don't) just to experience it all again all bright new and shiny.
    Posted 12 years ago by Tibbi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • New animals?  Ever-increasing housing environments? The ability to own both types of gardens?

I r happie.  *^_____^*

I am planning to have a community-garden style garden all to myself!  Muahahahahaha! :: rubs hands together eeeeviiilllly::
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink