Topic

Questions About New Housing and Group Halls -- NOW WITH STOOT ANSWERS!

UPDATE:  Scarlett Bearsdale has provided a summary of questions and answers here
Thanks Scarlett!

**  ORIGINAL POST  FOLLOWS *****************************************

I have many questions in my mind about the new housing and group halls that will be coming to Glitch. I am going to post some of them here. Maybe others have questions they would like to post.
HOUSING QUESTIONS

1. Once the new housing is introduced, what steps will current users need to take to acquire a house and what steps will new users need to take to acquire a house?

2. Will a new house consist of a template that can be extended and added to?  If so, will there be one template that everyone starts with, or will there be different starting templates to choose from?

3. Will houses have an exterior that is visible from public space such that any player could pass by, see the house, drop something in front of it, or knock on the door if they wish?  If so, will there be ways to customize this exterior to make something that is visually unique?

4. Will there be spaces with clusters of houses similar to the current housing quarters?  If so, will there be public access to these spaces such that any player can come into them and wander around? 

5. Will the new houses have a permission system that is more flexible and layered than the current permission system which allows anyone who has access to a house to take almost everything that's not locked into a cabinet?

GROUP HALL QUESTIONS

1. Will a group hall look like and function like (a) a building, (b) an outdoor street or streets, (c) an outdoor street or streets with one or more buildings, or (d) any of these a group wants?

2. Will group halls be available only to formal groups or can a collection of players get together and create a "group hall" without also creating a formal group?

3. Will group halls be considered to be owned by their associated group (however such groups are defined), owned by a subset of the group, owned by the entire community, or what?

4. Will group halls be accessible only to those who are members of their associated group, or will there be a more flexible permission system (e.g. public, public w/ blocklist, permanent guest list, limited-time invitation, etc.)?
--------------------------------------------------------

Maybe TS will answer some of these questions, maybe not.  Either way, I'm interested to know what others want to know :)

UPDATE:  See below for some answers from stoot :)

Posted 12 years ago by Splendora Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
  • Question: If housing changes aren't for at least 8 weeks/2 months, why hasn't there been any bog housing added in weeks even though it's been sold out for quite a while?!  I'm not personally interested in a bog house, but there are plenty who are...there has even been Meadow housing added last week, but while the bog houses were sold out, they weren't added...what's up with that?!
    Posted 12 years ago by Uniquely Prime Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Uniquely Prime: Why would you spend time adding more stuff when you're going to sweep it away in two months? Especially when you're already hard at work building NEW stuff?  I think, personally, that is what is up with that.

Can we please let Stoot get back to his real job? Like running his company?
    Posted 12 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Can we please let Stoot get back to his real job? Like running his company? -- Crashtestpilot

I agree. We need him to be cracking whips so we can get the big update sooner than 8 weeks. :3
    Posted 12 years ago by Mal'akh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • And drinking martinis
    Posted 12 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • When I first read (many months ago) of plans to eventually eliminate NPC vendors, I was somewhat worried.  I usually craft items for a combination of reasons.  One of those might be obtaining currants or favor, but that's often secondary to completing a quest, getting XP, exploring how something works, or doing something that has sensory appeal (i.e. sound, animation, visual appearance of the end product).  More recently, I've stopped worrying, because I've come to understand and appreciate the methods of TS, but I think I understand the feelings of those who worry that the economic changes will require players to engage with other players in ways the game currently does not require. 

In particular, some players may be concerned that the future game will put more emphasis on competition, albeit using the metaphor of economics rather than the metaphor of physical combat. In many contexts, I enjoy being highly competitive.  However, it seems to me that there are many venues for competition in the world -- perhaps more than we really need -- so it does not surprise me that some of the players here are put off by the idea that they will be obliged to engage in economic activities that are essentially competitive. 

For some, the word "game" implies a competitive activity in which there are winners and losers. However, there are other dimensions of and reasons for engaging in play, including the exercise of creativity, the stimulation and satisfaction of curiosity, and the experience of conviviality. Creativity calls out to be shared, and the creations of others provide new frontiers for the curious explorer. Conviviality requires the presence of others. So people can come to a social game for any of these: competition, creativity, curiosity, conviviality -- and may not want all of these. To those who are worried, however, I would say I think it's going to be OK. As stoot has said, the economic changes will occur together with other changes as TS works to make Glitch a never-ending game that we will continue to enjoy AND a game that can be played many different ways. I think it's going to be fun!
    Posted 12 years ago by Splendora Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Very well said, @Splendora.
    Posted 12 years ago by Shepherdmoon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @ Splendora -- nicely said, and thanks for teaching me the new word 'conviviality'.
    Posted 12 years ago by Sir Mixalatte Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for the update and the nice easy to read layout Scarlett Bearsdale !!
    Posted 12 years ago by Star Gazer Subscriber! | Permalink
  • " Can we please let Stoot get back to his real job? Like running his company? -- CrashtestpilotI agree. We need him to be cracking whips so we can get the big update sooner than 8 weeks. :3"

NUUUUUUUuuuu!!  D:>
    I've set the 8 week mark for myself to reach level 60!!  If they roll out the Big Change before then I will have failed!  FAILED!
    CURSE YOUUUUU!! .......... >_> .... er... :: cough :: ... may have been watching too much Invader Zim.... move along nothing to see here......
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Some of us have reached the current level cap, and others will reach it before the changes are made.

In the meantime I have been working at achievements, raising X number of pigs for instance. I got no XP for making the XP and none for getting the achievement. I get none for visiting new places, I got none for the two new completionist badges, etc, etc. Will the imagination cap be similar?

What I really want to know is, should I wait to grind away at these badges because I will get 'imagination' for achieving them or not? 

I keep telling myself it's a game and I shouldn't care, but I do!
    Posted 12 years ago by IrenicRhonda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i hate this idea, i'd rather it stay simple :(
    Posted 12 years ago by Finley Linker Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @crashtestpilot - @Uniquely Prime: Why would you spend time adding more stuff when you're going to sweep it away in two months? Especially when you're already hard at work building NEW stuff?  I think, personally, that is what is up with that.

Can we please let Stoot get back to his real job? Like running his company?

1. Not asking for a new housing design or anything...Meadows housing has been added, why isn't bog housing, which has been completely sold out for a while, being added?  The mechanics for adding the two different styles of housing is the same since all streets are based on a template that is already built, so why not press the poof button and add some housing to meet the need/demand?

2. I hope it's not stoot pressing that housing poof button, and it should be one of his devs...wow, a few minutes of a break from coding isn't that much to ask.  Instead of them getting snacks, cola, or coffee, press the silly poof button for some bog housing.

3. It would be different if housing changes were imminent (like next week) and then I'd agree with you to not add a resource that is getting wiped away, but pretty illogical, IMO to not provide a needed commodity now to people who want one.  I get that for months and months the bog housing stood empty, so they must be happy they are now filled...but if they are going to add other styles of housing, it makes zero sense to not add bog housing also.  You know, hit the poof button for two different regions during the same time that you are taking a break from coding to 'add houses'.
    Posted 12 years ago by Uniquely Prime Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Splendora: Well said. Totally concur.
    @Miso: Invader Zim. Sigh. Love me some Jhonan.
    @Uniquely Prime: Fair points.  But you assume it IS a "poof button." I do not.
    Posted 12 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • hugs to crash -
    but i have to agree with uniquely prime- I dont get the lack of bog housing being added either . If they can add meadow homes -why not add bog houses- esp when Glitches are asking for them ..
    Posted 12 years ago by serenitycat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just wanted to say thank you to Stoot again for being so open and responsive about the changes. There's a lot of nervousness, but I do have faith in Tiny Speck that they'll do something awesome. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by MsKelseyClaire Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've just come upon this thread (and thanks to Scarlett for her excellent summary) and I just want to say that the coming changes sound incredibly exciting and I am really looking forward to them. Thanks to Stoot and all the rest at Tiny Speck for an amazing game, and for making players feel so involved in the process.

And my personal message to those who are bellyaching about refunds - there's the door, head to Farmville or wherever it is you'd rather be. Leave the game for those of us who love it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Momo McGlitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Are all our items going to be moved when we make the switch?
    Posted 12 years ago by NightDraconis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Q: Please tell me we'll get a warning *before* the house is swept out from under us!
    A: You don't need to worry about moving your stuff — that will all be automatic. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Scarlett Bearsdale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Momo McGlitch - "And my personal message to those who are bellyaching about refunds - there's the door, head to Farmville or wherever it is you'd rather be. Leave the game for those of us who love it. "

Maybe you should actually read the post before you comment on it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Audaria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you so much for answering these questions, Stoot! Thanks to you and the rest of TS for your hard work. :)

I am totally looking forward to this as well. Change seems like a good idea to me. Can't wait!
    Posted 12 years ago by SeerQueen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have one question: Will we get interaction (more) menu changes (not considering the on going bug)? E.g. Moving "set free" to the very top for chickens, and "rename" to the very top for pigs.
    Posted 12 years ago by Rook Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ok just so I am ready for this happening I need to know. If we have anything laying on the ground in our houses will that stuff go to the moving crate as well or just stuff that is in our cabinet. What about machines we have in our houses? Also are we going to get a 1-2 day heads up?

Need to plan for this if so that is why I am asking. I would really hate losing stuff and rather be having them in my bags or give stuff away.
    Posted 12 years ago by Casombra Amberrose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Casombra: Stoot said "you don't need to worry about moving your stuff — that will all be automatic."
    So don't worry ;-)
    Posted 12 years ago by Vic Fontaine Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Casombra, that has been answered and the answer reposted several times, most recently four posts above yours.  DO NOT WORRY.  :)
    Posted 12 years ago by oscarette Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Observation - any productive capacity associated with your current house - plots, patches - will be gone.  If the template house comes with a patch or plots then you'll at least have to start planting stuff, and if not then one of the first things people will be doing will be imagining plots and patches and getting them into working order.   I predict a sudden shortage of produce and a dip in the availability of tree goods.   Have a few seasoned beans and seeds in reserve.  
    Posted 12 years ago by WalruZ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Actually, Stoot clarifies in one of the answers above that indeed, the template house does not come with any gardens.  First you will have to imagine more land, and then put gardens on it.  So I think you're right, that having a few day's worth of produce at a minimum would be a good idea; also some seasoned beans or eggs would also likely be a good idea.

I was wondering about the animals - do they get youthened, or go into the moving crate as is?

*edit to add - I don't necessarily mean for the purposes of auctioning; just that I believe I am going to be too busy imagining and such to worry about croppery for a few days.
  • So you figure that vendor changes to be driven by supply/demand will come at the same time as housing changes? I understood that to be further in the future. In that case the market will be largely unaffected by a temporary drop in crop supply.
  • I'm hoping that all the piles of stuff I have everywhere will be magically sorted alphabetically :-)
    Posted 12 years ago by Breezy Meadow Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Togger - " In that case the market will be largely unaffected by a temporary drop in crop supply." <-- this is absolutely not true.  Items requiring crops skyrocketed in price around Zillowe'en, when everyone's crop spaces were taken up by pumpkins, while pumpkins themselves dropped in price.  I imagine the exact same thing will happen with the housing change.  Those with crops will take full advantage of the fact that supply is low, and will jack up the prices as high as the market will bear.  >_<
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Although we start with a "blank" house, given that vets will start out with an amount of imagination to spend, I can't believe that we'll be without crop plots for more than an hour or two maximum.  And I only think it'll take an hour or two because everyone will be going through the options available to them rather than worrying about planting ingredients for awesome stew.  An hour or two will have an even smaller effect than Zillowe'en.  

If tree resources are affected at all, I think it will be for the same reason crop plots might take a bit to be installed.  We'll all be busy turning circles saying "Oh look!  Shiny!" rather than running the streets of Ur to harvest beans.  

Togger: you are right that the economic and vendor changes will come later.  I think they were just pondering what effect introducing new housing will have to the auction market given that we will at least temporarily not have all our home resource streams up and running.  
    Posted 12 years ago by Saucelah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think our home resource streams will be massively expanded after the update :P Especially if our house is able to encompass more than one street :) Though I dunno about that one. It would be cool~
    Posted 12 years ago by Liza Throttlebottom Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Was someone asking for bog houses?  I just added a bunch to the firebog regions.

I'll add more in the coming days and we'll keep adding houses while we make the transition to the new housing system.

It wouldn't be entirely surprising if there were shortages of certain house types from time to time, but we'll try to make sure there's enough to go around.  For now …

Chakra Phool
    Jethimiadh
    Kalavana
    Shimla Mirch
    Posted 12 years ago by jdawg Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Miso My point was that crop prices can't really go up that much because if they get too expensive you can just go to a produce vendor instead.
    But you have a point regarding food and drinks made from the crops - the supply will drop because chefs are busy imagining house stuff so they won't cook as much. And if creating house stuff takes energy, that will drive up demand.
  • jdawg: thanks for pushing the magic button! ^_^

I also have a question.
    If there is no XP anymore, will there be a "level" system? If yes, how? And if not, how can we increase our max energy/mood?
    Posted 12 years ago by Sekhmet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think from stuff I've read before, you might be able to spend imagination on increasing mood/energy, but also other things if you want. 

I would like to spend imagination on eloquence, vivacity and an ability to play the spoons
    Posted 12 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Shexy's right: imagination will be spent to increase our energy and mood pools, expand land, and probably a few other things we haven't heard about.  

There will be no more levels, and you can acquire imagination forever, theoretically at least. 
  • I'm not sure where you get that "imagination will be spent to increase our energy and mood pools." I read "• When imagination is introduced, there will be many things which can only be "bought" with imagination (mostly land & character upgrades)"
  • http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/12/02/mmobility-tiny-speck-explains-glitchs-big-unlaunching/ 

@ Audaria This article contains a quote in which Stoot says just that. It's quite the acrobatics routine trying to pull together all these hints and quotes and articles, eh :P?
  • While we're at it, might as well link here as this article also discusses imagination briefly.

(fixed)
  • Scarlett, your link does not work.
    Posted 12 years ago by Shallawalla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yep, though even without that earlier interview, what else would you call mood and energy besides character upgrades?  And since there won't be XP and levels, seems like it would be the only logical conclusion that imagination will replace levels when it comes to mood and energy.  
  • http://www.straight.com/article-575171/vancouver/vancouvers-tiny-speck-reimagines-glitch

scarlett's link, fixed
  • That last article references using imagination to upgrade skills. I would assume that character upgrades includes more creative upgrades, such as to appearance or skills, much like the housing upgrades. The creativity is the only thing that excites me about the upcoming changes.
  • @Liza Throttlebottom: What does your link go to? Can you IM me what it says? My Antivirus that my mom just put  on my pc blocked it since it goes under the category "games". Funny thing is that Glitch does not. Which I love, since I just finished my hw 3 hours ago and dared to play glitch in the interim :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Avariella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's an article about the unlaunching of Glitch :P Stoot gives some insight into how the new housing and imagination are going to work. It's all very vague though, honestly. The answers within this very thread are much more detailed :) I'd suggest rereading Scarlett's post rather than worrying too much about that article :P Her summary of the contents of this thread is much much more in depth.
  • THANKS JDAWG for the new bog houses!! And thanks for putting to rest that new houses WILL continue to be added for a while yet, as you can get to it! :)  *Poof*
    Posted 12 years ago by ~Enigma~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 to uniques last comment .
    Posted 12 years ago by serenitycat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think The Game Should Stay The Way It Is Except The Upgrading Your Own House 
    Imagination Should Be Made By A Lot Of Stuff +1 ME! THNX
    -Apsd1109
    Posted 12 years ago by Apsd1109 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wait wait wait!!!! You are talking about imagination, like it is credit.... does that mean that I'm going to have to buy imagination with real money?!?!?!
    Posted 12 years ago by RJStormRider Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Stoot has responded here in a different thread regarding the conversion between XP and imagination.  I have included his response in the summary.
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9