Topic

Needs more reasons to play

pretty self explanatory.

Posted 12 years ago by Djoe6897 Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

Previous 1 2
  • The thing that keeps me coming back is to see fun things and people.  I discover something interesting, unusual or funny every time I play.   I walk most of the time so I see a lot of things and meet lots of Glitches.  My home is in Bortola but I travel to Shimla almost every time I play.  There are plenty of things to see between Bortola and Shimla.  You may shrug this off as a simple pleasure but it's my favorite thing to do.
    Posted 12 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Friends.  If that's not enough, this probably isn't the right game as there are no real challenges.
    Posted 12 years ago by Janitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • One of the challenges very few have succeeded in is making a Public Group's in-game group chat active given the present format and functionality. I've been to many group chats but 99% of them are all dead and utterly silent, regardless if the group has 1000 members or 50. 
    Posted 12 years ago by TomC Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You know I am on an iPhone right now but I wasn't I wasn't... text wall on why is always more to do on Glitch! Basically: hoard, friends, make your own stuff to do.
    Posted 12 years ago by Palindrome Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The legend of the fish. Pretty self explanatory.
    Posted 12 years ago by HeyGabe Subscriber! | Permalink
  • An immediate reason for playing: level up and gain as many currants as possible right now so you will have more imagination to build your house or whatever when the changes come in the next couple weeks or so. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Shepherdmoon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • go for badges (can be fun and kind of challenging) or clean out your quests. If you haven't finished learning all the skills, do that. See how many currants you can make before the next set of updates comes out. Or just take a break and come back in a few weeks when the new stuff starts popping up.
    Posted 12 years ago by Fern Connelly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've been working on badges, leveling & currants. Want to hit Level 60 & 1 million currants before the change over.

For fun I do speed runs. Log in 10 minutes before end of day & harvest all the egg trees. I also do the Harvest Everything On The Street runs. 

But I admit, I'm in need of more official quest-type goals or new content. I haven't been playing all that much. Biding my time until something new. I figure the longer they're quiet, the bigger the next new thing will be. So hoping for something massive next. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Wynella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Djoe6897, I understand how you feel. There's only so much leveling, questing, badge-chasing, and currant/item-hoarding you can do before it all turns into grinding. Then there's only so many self-imposed challenges you can do, like missions or running groups, until that all turns into grinding, too. Sure, you can switch from one thing to another, but it's been a while since we've gotten new content. I am really looking forward to revamped street projects, housing, and group halls that will really give us the sense that we're creating something rather than repeatedly doing X to get Y. If you can't find anything worthwhile to do right now, it may be time to take a break.
    Posted 12 years ago by Melody Pond Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sometimes when it gets monotonous, I don't play for a few days and I find myself missing it terribly and then find myself contemplating how playing Glitch would be completely lovely and fulfilling at that moment. I think it is the art style and whimsy that keeps me attracted and has become one of my relaxation options! Also, it's like...advanced tamagotchi, lol.
    Posted 12 years ago by Rapture Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Got 12 Icons?  Make 12 more, then give them to newbs.
    Posted 12 years ago by The Missing Finger Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Keeping my pigs alive always brings me back.

I mean erm... Friendships! They are important and stuff!

(Psst, it's really to feed my pigs!)
    Posted 12 years ago by Yessi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So i've started hoarding the stuff glitches love and plan to throw a party in the sometime near future.  maybe when we find out about the new housing or st. patty's day?  who knows.  for now, i've got several bags of goodies and can't wait to share with glitchen!
    Posted 12 years ago by Airya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • BECOME FILTHY RICH!
    Posted 12 years ago by Electric Wizard Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 to Yessi
    Posted 12 years ago by Leites Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think this game could use some sort of reward of a visual aesthetic nature when unlocking certain achievements. For example, in Halo you can unlock different helmets / armor when obtaining different achievements. Furthermore, and example for glitch in specific would be perhaps unlocking special fangs or a special cape when getting the "dracula" achievement. Maybe this achievement might turn you into a bat when levitating? 
    Posted 12 years ago by White Jimmy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Why not just take a break?  We are expecting a big update in the next few weeks.  There is nothing wrong with stepping back from it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Humbabella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +20 to Yessi
    Posted 12 years ago by mazzy▲ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Not entirely true, Humbabella--I've come back from long absences, only to find trees, pigs, butterflies dead.  Admittedly, it's a minor inconvenience once you have enough skills, but there does come a point where the quests are all done.  Now, I've also suggested that we need other types of quests or challenges that don't *require* grinding or a concentration on repetition;  that's why, ages ago, I had suggested a simple, ongoing game, similar in nature to what was later developed in the Game of Crowns, only involving the altars as goals. 

We could do well with other tasks that less involve grinding and more imagination... speaking of which, new idea (for me anyway)!  Gonna go post it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Hazmat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's not all that new an idea as "group puzzle levels" were something Stoot mentioned in the Q&A.  To paraphrase he called them "a more entertaining way of earning currants and imagination than grinding out a large number of the same items and donating them to shrines," though I'm pretty sure he was careful to point out that such was just his opinion, of course.  

Personally, I'm of the opinion that anything resembling a quest should either be a tutorial for a new skill or something about the lore of the world.  Though if they want to put more go to point A, craft (as opposed to kill) 10 rats, leave them at point B quests, it won't make me stop playing.  It won't inspire me to play either though -- at last count, I had 17 unfinished quests in my log and no desire to finish any of them, yet I am not the slightest bit bored or burnt on the game.   

But then, I have made some friends that are actually more important to me than the game.  So there's that.  
    Posted 12 years ago by Saucelah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A good new outfit can solve everything!
    Posted 12 years ago by acreditando Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I must admit...I am bored.
    Posted 12 years ago by Minnie Cooper Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @acreditando - Exactly :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes, please, @Saucelah: more about the lore of the world. Really craving that.
    Posted 12 years ago by Shepherdmoon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Glitch is a chatroom.
    Posted 12 years ago by Rosty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I wasn't suggesting that there couldn't be lots of new things added to the game.  It's more that I think there will be lots of new things added to the game, so I think taking a break if you are finding is boring right now is a pretty good solution.  I think many of us are - to lesser and greater degrees - succumbing to the feeling that the game feels very static right now, and I feel that the world and the forums have been getting more and more empty.  Hopefully the big change comes in the next couple of weeks, and when it does I think it will breath a lot of life back into the game and bring a lot of people back.  Then TS can go back to a more regular schedule of adding smaller amount of content.
    Posted 12 years ago by Humbabella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Chat on global, and get rich....
    Posted 12 years ago by RJStormRider Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I expect not only will people be back, but there will be an infusion of new players.  A blog post I made in October giving away a couple of extra invites is still occasionally getting comments from people hoping to get an invite.  There was another of these comments just last week.  

And while I don't know if Stoot is presenting at SXSW, and I'm not sure if Tiny Speck has a booth there, I know that Tiny Speck is going to be there.  If they do have a booth, and if The Big Update and the relaunch come to be right around then, I expect they will be promoting the game and we will see more people than we, as players, may really want to see.  

Not that I resent Tiny Speck for wanting to grow the game.  I do want them to be successful; otherwise, there won't be a game to play.  I'm just bracing myself for a flood of douche even as I look forward to the return of some friends and likely meeting new friends.  
  • I played SOLID for months in and coming out of beta. and I am proud to say that it was AWESOME. But after a while, the community began to degrade a bit (for me at least. not speaking for others) and I have taken a 3 month "leave of absence". I would love to jump back it, but I want to know what I missed out on etc. Thank you all for your responses!
    Posted 12 years ago by Djoe6897 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If you're a miner, join the Pollokoo Benevolent Miners' Society.  Good people there, and we try to do events and stuff and things and things and stuff.  
  • If you're a miner, join the Pollokoo Benevolent Miners' Society.  Good people there, and we try to do events and stuff and things and things and stuff.  
  • Sure hope the wait is worth it.
  • I really *really* hope the wait will be worth it.  :s

I've been just playing the hell out of PonyIsland lately and not really Glitching much at all.  I had intended to hit level 60 before The Big Change but there's just no way that's going to happen, and it's so pointless... :: shrugs ::   I dunno.

There are a lot of things I like about the game and when I feel like pouring hours of mindless stuff in while I chat with the group of familiars in Global.. that makes me happy.  But when I want a more predictable experience that I know isn't going to massively change and I might hate, I just stick with what I know and love.  Genetics, breeding, collecting.. these are things I understand and love.  A sandbox game that's going to go through a Massive Overhaul in the next few weeks.. meh.  Not so sure about that.  I'll prolly still love it but in the meantime I don't mind doing other stuff and letting the developers figure out what they're doing.

One thing that I think would be nice is if there were more consistent releases of information with actual set dates ... and releases to look forward to of new items in-game... Seriously every other game I play does this (and I KNOW I've said this before but it really cannot be said enough!)... when there's going to be a change of ANY kind happening, the developers or mods or administrators come out and say, THIS is what will happen, this is WHEN it will happen, THIS is what you can expect.  And they stick with it.  And then on certain days or for holidays or events they release new items.  Or like in another game I played, for YEARS, and spent a LOT (hundreds and hundreds) of dollars in, they released a new item every single week.  We never knew what kind of item it would be but it was always *something*.. something new and wonderful.  If THEY can do it... Glitch can do it.  And yet they DON'T.  We get things like.. removing animals from the ancestral lands.  Adding in Zoom for "something" that is coming "in the future".  :: rolls eyes ::

In PonyIsland, for every major holiday, they release a new set of collectible items.  Sometimes it's plushies, sometimes it's edible stuff, but it's always *something*.  They have Extravaganzas, which all the users can participate in, where there's art contests and cooking contests and all kinds of things like that, and then prizes are exclusive items.. something to let the users know they're special and that the developers really care about the user base.

I don't see this in Glitch.  When's the last time we had a new item?  Oh right there's going to be..... a board.  Hooooraayyy.  Oh and that little cracker... cute, fun to use, but then... for New Years?  For Valentine's Day?  .. How about for Easter, anything planned for that??

I guess what I'm saying is... for users to be got and held for a long long time, the developers are going to really need to think hard about what makes a MMO really truly great and special.. what gets users to keep coming back and yes, even spending money.  I hear other users saying these things and like me get ignored.  Or we're told there ARE releases, they're just slow because we're in Beta.. or that we shouldn't want special items for some stupid reason or other... well if anything changes should be made MORE now for us and rewards should be greater because we're testing the game for these people.  Then we were told we could ask a bunch of questions but then they stopped answering things.  So they could, you know, work on the release.  And that's supposed to be enough for us, even though we were only given an estimate of when the "thing" would come and that they're "on target for release" but maybe it won't come on the day the users have calculated.  WHO KNOWS.  ??

:: scratches cheek and thinks ::

Oh and then there were going to be new skills, which we saw some of, and then we got them, and then we did the couple of new quests, and then more quests hooray, and then we did those and that's it.  Poof all done.  :s

So then there's a hint there'll be MORE skills coming, which we'll need to build our new houses.  Ok but what if we don't want to spend Glitch doing that particular thing?  Or what if we want to save up our currants and not have them spent toward "Imagination"?  Were WE, as the Beta user base, ever ASKED flat-out, straight-up, what WE wanted?  Or what WE envisioned for the future of the game?  I don't remember a time and forgive me if I'm too new to have been here for that.  But if there was I'd like to know.  And if there wasn't, why wasn't there?

... /sigh ... /end rant

Sorry I guess there were solid reasons why I haven't been playing, I just didn't realise until now.

I didn't mean to hijack your thread, DJ.  And I hope we can chat next time I'm in-world. Maybe you're feeling the same?  =)  Because all of the above said... the best thing here is still making friends.  =)

Edit - if it's true that Global is getting killed soon, I'll probably quit my membership on Glitch and stop playing completely.  =/  That's the ONE thing that keeps me coming back, is meeting new people and making new friends.
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I feel ya.  I was a solid player during the Beta days.  My favorite thing to do is the street building projects but it's been forever and a day since there have been any.  
    Posted 12 years ago by Cfill Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Auren..I agree 100%.
  • Auren - you are far from alone. Take comfort in that when the posts start coming in saying that "you are free to leave." (Please note, I am not saying that. I am agreeing with you.)
    Posted 12 years ago by Audaria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Auren Global chat will never be truly dead. There will always be a chat that places you together with a bunch of strangers. There was a stickied thread about it WAY back when. The two choices on the table seem to be 'Region' chat and 'Random' chat. Region would place you with a group of people within the region you're in, I suppose Ur would be carved into chat districts or something.

Random would put you with a large group of random people. It sounds like they would basically be instancing Global the way Live Help is instanced. There are actually two live helps and you're put in one at random. I guess they might do that with Global.

Now the reason this was put forward was for scaling issues. Where there would be so many glitchen online at any given time that Global as it is now would be full of hundreds of people and be completely incomprehensible. However, right now we're back to beta and in a bit of a content freeze. So few people are online. Global won't be touched until after that changes :)

Just my thoughts/opinions/knowledge on the subject.
    Posted 12 years ago by Liza Throttlebottom Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks guys.
    That's another thing, Cfill.. I was waiting for those too and by the time I found out where and when one was happening, it was already over with.  ~O.o~  Um, wut?? >_<!!!
  • Agree w/ OP. It's that simple. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Eye Wonder Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I took a good 3 months off and away from the game. Initially I loved it and in a way, still do. I came over with a bunch of FaunaSphere (FS) pals, however, after a hundred + hours of just walking through the different areas it has, for me also, become a bit monotonous and redundant. I agree with all those who mentioned friendship, which is true, and a valid argument, indeed, however, one thing I liked about FS, was the fact that I could very quickly skip over to them, without much fuss. I also agree with the poster "White Jimmy" who suggested that:  I think this game could use some sort of reward of a visual aesthetic nature when unlocking certain achievements. For example, in Halo you can unlock different helmets / armor when obtaining different achievements. Furthermore, and example for glitch in specific would be perhaps unlocking special fangs or a special cape when getting the "dracula" achievement. Maybe this achievement might turn you into a bat when levitating? 
    Lately, I've asked myself, what was it that has kept me coming back to other games I play and is lacking in here. I am certain, one thing I miss is the leveling up doing one chore, or task in one spot and then earning a reward. It's like gambling, where the gambler, just like any player, seeks instant rewards connected to a simple task, beating the odds, earning something. I miss hatching eggs and the anticipation of what kind of animal, or pattern I might get. I remember never, ever getting bored trying to hatch that special waddler to earn a prize or trophy. I am not sure, whether I can see myself wandering the worlds in the same manner and redundancy over the next year, or two. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something is just not clicking for me like in the past. Nevertheless, I will stick to Glitch a little while longer, just to give the benefit of a doubt.

Perhaps one suggestion might be of use: rather than expanding the worlds, which are lovely, it might be beneficial to focus on the worlds that are already there and adding prizes, or tasks that can be repeated to earn a price. Something one can aim for, like a permanent piggy (that will not vanish if not fed), or a blue, purple, red, whatever piggy for the house, or a bunny, some sort of pet. May be items for the house, or special trees (FarmVille has some awesome trees, like Christmas Sweater Trees for inside or around the house, fences, flowers, but mostly animals). And it should not take too long to earn one.
    Posted 12 years ago by GOHEMI Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It feels like such a sad time here in Glitch, communication would help alot, or don't we matter?
    Posted 12 years ago by Priscilla Parsley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I know for me, the most fun I ever had in glitch was going for that achievement where you have to learn 106 recipes. so many new and different things- it kept me seriously entertained for the three days it took. I think part of the issue might be that glitch is the sort of game that attracts largely players who like to craft but the various crafting systems just aren't very robust yet... I'm hopeful that the housing update will help with that but I'd also love to see something where we could craft accessories (moonstone amulet? decorative amber belt?) or fancy tools or... that sort of thing... that would take LOTS of time, effort, supplies, skills, etc. I guess just basically a lot more higher-level crafting.
    Posted 12 years ago by Fern Connelly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ... played SOLID for months in and coming out of beta. and I am proud to say that it was AWESOME. But after a while, the community began to degrade a bit (for me at least. not speaking for others) and I have taken a 3 month "leave of absence". I would love to jump back it, but I want to know what I missed out on etc. Thank you all for your responses!

Agreed. I felt my contributions were heard and valued. And then? The game changed. There was, as far as my experience, an onslaught of spoken and unspoken rules/conventions/codifications of acceptable play styles, behaviors, and opinions. The gently freewheeling anarchism of Betaness (thorny chats and all) evaporated, and feel-good inclusivity rose as an expectation and priority. But "inclusivity" – heavy scare quotes there – meant a bit of lockstepping and bullying from Properly Glitching Players, a tightening of ranks, and the rise of an unofficial nanny state. During the Beta testing, I felt free – even encouraged – to try new things, to 'get around' the game, the community, to adopt a persona and invest in the idea of a silly-looking avatar. 

For my money, early Glitch succeeded because it provided a good little escapist reality, relatively open and unfettered. But as the world approached 'completion' it stagnated socially – the list of (explicitly and implicitly) approved interactions with other players and the game itself became less 'real' and more 'symbolic.' It was fun to poke the baby a little bit, but then the baby got grumpy.

I have faith in the developers for bringing things this far – but for me to reengage (as I did last year), I believe it'll be necessary to let players have a 'real' impact in the game – to create a persona, develop An Actual Thing, change the environment (even for the worse!), to exercise creativity that isn't bounded-sanctioned-sanitized. A game like Minecraft owes a lot of its success to the player's ability to directly change things, to expand a persona outward, to have meaningful effect on the environment.  
    Posted 12 years ago by Doctor Barf Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 Priscilla, and Fern
    and :: nods nods :: Exactly Doctor Barf.

I really hope the devs are reading this thread.  It's pretty much super important what everyone is saying here and I feel this crushing sadness that they're just ignoring us at this point.  When our input should be the most valuable, as we're the Beta testers... aren't we supposed to have a say in how to make the game a better and more long-term-playable place??
  • At this point, considering the large changes coming to the game and how little any of us really know about how those will be implemented, our input is actually the least valuable it has ever been.  For all we know, every single suggestion that has come up in the last two months has already been considered and fitted in to a development priority schedule.  I've seen many suggestions that I'm guessing will not even make sense under the new system.  Not that I know they will make no sense, just that I can see that as quite possible.  

I feel our role as beta testers, for those that choose to have a role as testers, is the same as it is for all beta testers.  To look at what exists and to try ways of approaching it the original coders did not expect in order to uncover bugs and report them, not to actually submit grand design ideas.  

Also, just because they are not responding or engaging regularly right now does not mean they are ignoring us.   Look how little time it took Stoot to respond to a thread pondering Tiny Speck's finances.   
  • Initially, I dug the game, fun graphics, and it was kind of all really 'nice'. I bought low subscription because I believed that TS could create something really special, and that even my few bucks would help them continue on that path.

Then, I started getting bored, and a couple new quests showed up, finished those. Then I started working towards leveling up, that got boring even quicker.

I don't have may people I would consider friends here in Glitch, actually truth be told, one. I'm okay with that. This is the first MMO I've played, and I will keep playing, and have recently upgraded my sub so that I can get some credits and tokens and what not.

For me, the future of the game lies in it's adaptability. If we, as players, can adapt and customize aspects of the game, and namely the game play, it will survive and get better.

Personally, the whole 'nice' thing is boring. I want to trick people, play pranks, not maliciously harm or steal from them. I pretty much conduct myself here as I do IRL. Primarily a loner, but the people I like, I really like. I don't harm or hurt people, but man do I love pulling a good prank now and again.

Going to put a Pranking Skill in the ideas forum.

So, is it worth playing? Right now it's nothing amazing, but we all had faith in it at one time, I think we need to find that faith again.
    Posted 12 years ago by rorschach Subscriber! | Permalink
  • At this point, considering the large changes coming to the game and how little any of us really know about how those will be implemented, our input is actually the least valuable it has ever been.  For all we know, every single suggestion that has come up in the last two months has already been considered and fitted in to a development priority schedule.  

This is all well and good –– but the back and forth interaction and ability to influence things and (if you want to call it) grand design suggestions of the beta period was what made the game special and interesting and fun.  For me, at least.  I don't believe I'm in a minority of players in wishing for a piece of that to happen again, and I'm very open to the possibility that it might.  But let me be clear with my meaning: I don't wish for the game to be in a constant state of development, to hold Tiny Spec constantly at the whimsical beck and call of the players, but rather for the game itself to be open enough to allow observable change, movement, development, and sandbox play in a real (real meaning 'lasting' or 'semi-lasting'  or 'intricate' or 'individually driven') way.
    Posted 12 years ago by Doctor Barf Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You could do the tired idea of Rook attacks.
    Or stay for fronds.
    Both are hot now a days.
    Posted 12 years ago by Volkov Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah, again, what Doctor Barf said.  :: nods nods ::  When I signed up, I thought there would be WAY more opportunities to really have meaningful change and growth within the game that was user-driven.  I've spoken out about this before and been shot down, by stoot himself.  "We never meant for this to be changeable completely by players" yadda yadda yadda.  Whatever.  But when I signed up there it was in big black letters...

QUOTE - " You choose how to grow and shape the world: building and developing, learning new skills, collaborating or competing with everyone else in one enormous, ever-changing, persistent world."

So when I found that the biggest ways you could really "shape" the world were mining rocks and poisoning / replanting trees I got a little disappointed.  And then more and more disappointed.  Now I'm just like, wtf mate.  I'm not asking for a second-life-like free for all.  I'm just asking for .. MORE.  More of what I signed up for.  Which was.. building and developing, collaborating and competing.. in a much less static world.  It's not been "ever-changing".   Honestly.. the most that ever seems to change is.. oh wait, when was the last big change?

Umm... :: thinks :: .. Rasana?  We got Rasana right?  And a handful of users used a handful of their hoarded resources and boom there it was and now that's over with.  And what can we do there?  The same crap we do in the rest of the world.. pet, sing to, massage, milk, nibble, poison, plant, tend, dig.

Whatever.  I'm going to go eat some donuts.
  • I like donuts!
    Posted 12 years ago by RJStormRider Subscriber! | Permalink
Previous 1 2