Topic

Staff Topic

How to Test the New Houses

OK! Now you can test some parts of the new housing system. We're concentrating here on furniture and decoration (later releases will add the ability to craft new furniture, expand houses, cultivate land and use imagination to grow your yard and home street).

To try it out, get in the game type "/home" in local chat (it is deliberately hard to do right now so that people don't get confused and think this is *the* permanent switchover — this house is just for your testing and customizations will eventually be reset). When you're at home, there will be a new button which takes you back to the regular game world.

Once you go inside, you'll see the new furniture tab by your inventory and a "decorate" button at the top-right of the game. Go crazy. Upgrading furniture is all free right now (in the future, some upgrades will be subscriber-only and some will cost credits).

You can't get any more furniture for now and you also can't give, trade or sell furniture until the next release (or maybe the one after that). However, you can bring your stuff over to the new house and not worry about it getting lost when we reset (we'll keep it all safe) — it is just the furniture customizations that you'll lose.

To move furniture around and place items on furniture, you need to be in "decoration mode", which will hide your avatar and allow you to use the arrow keys to pan around your house.

You'll be switched to decoration mode automatically when you drag something out of your furniture bag, but you can also hit the "decorate" button in the top right of the game window.

To change wallpaper, ceilings and floors, hit the "swatches" button which appears in the top bar when you're in decoration mode. You can stamp the patterns on or drag them into place. For wallpapers you can either to a single segment or the whole wall at once.

Finally, though the land outside your house is fixed for now (you can't expand it or add/remove resources yet) you do have a customizable signpost outside: you can use that to add up to five signs pointing to the home streets of people from your friends list.

Any questions? Thoughts? ;)

See also:  Blog post  •  Video Demo

Note: If you don't see any furniture (or just your trophies) inside your furniture bag when you enter your house, type "/home" again.

Note 2: You can type "/home" from wherever you are in the world, including other people's houses.

Note 3: We will give plenty of notice before the real switchover to the new housing system and, if you own a regular in-world house at that time, all of the items inside it will be moved over automatically. You don't have to move everything yourself.

Note 4: Many questions and answers have been summarized in this (unofficial!) FAQ

Posted 12 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18 19
  • Will there be bacon too?
    Posted 12 years ago by OMG BACON!! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • amok amok amok
    Posted 12 years ago by phelps.mike Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If you ever at any points had any doubts, let it be known that this update has changed my life more significantly than anything else I've experienced to date :)

First kiss was nice, but this is first HOUSING UPDATE :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Liza Throttlebottom Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Love it stoot!! Thank you so much!!
    Going to play now....
    Posted 12 years ago by Zany Serendipity Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is beautiful and I love you.
    Posted 12 years ago by Bexatious Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yay!
    Posted 12 years ago by DamitaJo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So exciting!!

eta: the 'Back to World' button could be a little more obvious :)
    Posted 12 years ago by MaryLiLamb Subscriber! | Permalink
  • EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
    /eloquence
    Posted 12 years ago by Spaghetti Thompson Subscriber! | Permalink
  • thank you soooooo much for this!
    Posted 12 years ago by bored no more Subscriber! | Permalink
  • SO MUCH CUTE STUFF. *EXPLODES*
    Posted 12 years ago by Wynella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • SO COOL
    Posted 12 years ago by Palindrome Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Is the five link limit likely carrying to the live version, or is that just for now as well?  

I can't choose among my friends as there's at least 14 I'd want to link to :(  

#firstUrProblems
    Posted 12 years ago by Saucelah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So technically we have 2 houses? I wondering if we get achievement for helping out on the project
    Posted 12 years ago by EarthtoGrace Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Incredible!!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by TomC Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wooo!
    Posted 12 years ago by Coke Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Question about the decoration upgrades.
    Inb4 they don't cost anything.

Will we have to buy the upgrade we want for every chair?
    Or can we just buy the crab chair once, and use it on all our chairs for free?

And they will cost actual credits per the update, aye?

Edit: This was never here.
    Posted 12 years ago by Volkov Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is AWESOMESAUCE!!!!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Lord Rio Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is SO AWESOME. 

I do have a small bug to point out though — I can't see the upgrades made to some of my furniture in the furniture inventory, but others change the icon so I can see that it's different from the basic.
    Posted 12 years ago by EE Cummings Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If we don't move our stuff over to our new home, will it be gone forever once we make the final move?
    Posted 12 years ago by Dartha Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Is it possible for us to see our mood/energy while in decoration mode? I lost a lot while hanging out in there and the thought didn't even cross my mind.

Otherwise, very very very cool!
    Posted 12 years ago by heartNadia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is fantastic! Thanks so much for letting us test!
    Posted 12 years ago by Abby Cadabra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Okay, now the joyful flailing has calmed a bit I have a clarification question.

You say the house is just for testing and customizations will be reset, but we can start bringing stuff from our old (current) house and leave it in our new one (via putting it in inventory then typing /home, right?). It won't vanish?

Can I start planting things, capturing piggies, hatching eggs etc and I won't lose them either?

If so, does this mean we technically have two houses to use at the moment and inventory in either one will still be attached to our account and usable in both places until the old (current) house system is unimagined and whatever is remaining will automagically appear in our new place?
    Posted 12 years ago by Bexatious Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Awesome indeed! Thanks soooo much!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by bergamot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • SOOOOO MUCH WIN.
    Posted 12 years ago by Sharmy Knope Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Dartha: whether you move items over or not, they will not be lost.
    Posted 12 years ago by cal 10 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My first thought- This opens things up so much. Very happy with this so far.

Second thought- Where's the cabinet? If we're permitted to bring items over pre-launch, are we intended to store them on shelves, or is there an upcoming storage piece of furniture? (I'd hope the latter, I'd prefer not to have my walls full of multicolored bags)
    Posted 12 years ago by Wrench Subscriber! | Permalink
  • LOBE THIS!!  THanks for letting us test this. I hope we don't break anything. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Tibbi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • hmmm, I clicked on the furniture tab, but don't have anything in there apart from a bubble trophy...

?
    Posted 12 years ago by Stevie Prickles Subscriber! | Permalink
  • thanks cal! I was worried :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Pickle Bob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bexatious: You can bring your items over. Crops and trees will be lost on the reset, but everything else will be saved
    Posted 12 years ago by Bees! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wooooooooooooooooooo thank u!!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Queen Zipporah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Stevie Prickles: Weird! We'll look into it

Wrench: Cabinets coming in next release
  • . However, you can bring your stuff over to the new house and not worry about it getting lost when we reset (we'll keep it all safe) — it is just the furniture customizations that you'll lose. 

1) So, if we start the moving process, the things that are in the new house will already be 'moved' when things change again?

2) If we don't get everything moved now, what situation will we find ourselves in when things change again?
    Posted 12 years ago by WindBorn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yuck @ credits
    Posted 12 years ago by Rosty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • thanks for answering all the questions!
  • This is incredible!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Miss Lilith Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Everyone: thank you very much!

Saucelah: the five link limit is unlikely to change :)

Volkov: each piece is upgraded separately (so, you can't buy it once and use it on all similar items)

EE Cummings: that's problem because some are upgraded and some not — furniture that is currently in your house won't also show up in your furniture bag.

Dartha: items in your old house will be moved over once we make the switch (but that is a long way off).

Bexatious: I don't know what we decided about animals, but when we reset you will lose trees and anything planted in your new house's gardens.
    Posted 12 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wrench: On top of what Bees said, we're also working on awesomer methods of storage. And displays. And at least three other things. Maybe even four!
    Posted 12 years ago by Kukubee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oooohhhhh I love it so much!
    Posted 12 years ago by Magicticket Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Another thing: 
    Will we be able to prevent certain friend's from coming into our houses?
    Just tested where I put a friend's name on my signpost, and I just waltzed right into their home.
    I do hope we can have some leverage on this, or this would just spark further theft. 
    And of course theft threads.

-Edited-
  • (but that is a long way off)

how long?
  • Very cool!  Thank you so so much for all your hard work!!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by AlmostSilver Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Volkov: it should follow the same rules as existing houses
  • Thank-you so much for allowing us to test this and have more of a look. It is wonderful!
    Posted 12 years ago by Oristia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is going to cost me soooooooo much money, but wow is it fun!

(Which is great for TS!)
    Posted 12 years ago by Credulous Ralph Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Questions:

Q: You say we can move things over, but if we DON'T move them, they'll be automatically moved when we go live, right? (See Bexa's question above - about the same question) - EDIT - this question answered :)

Q: We can update our new houses all we like right now, but all modifications will be reset when the new housing goes live, yes?  Will we have the option to "save" our house modifications like we save our outfits?  That would be a big help when the change comes.

Q:  What kind of feedback would you like from us during this testing phase?  For instance, will there be separate threads for ideas and problems with the new housing?

More when I've actually had a chance to get in-game.
    Posted 12 years ago by Genkicoll Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Bees!
    Strange. 
    Will test further.
  • "If we DON'T move them, they'll be automatically moved when we go live" - yes

"Will we have the option to "save" our house modifications like we save our outfits?" - maybe in the future, but not in this release. besides, this is only a small sample of the future customization options

"What kind of feedback would you like from us during this testing phase?" - bugs and ideas, all in this thread for now
  • *exploded with awesomeness*
    *runs off to try*

Thank you TS! Thank you!! :DD
    Posted 12 years ago by Maruchan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Something funky about the trophies: six are duplicated (two each of emblem, fruit, gem, etc.), and none of my music block trophies are visible.
    Posted 12 years ago by Credulous Ralph Subscriber! | Permalink
Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18 19