Topic

Staff Topic

How to Test the New Houses

OK! Now you can test some parts of the new housing system. We're concentrating here on furniture and decoration (later releases will add the ability to craft new furniture, expand houses, cultivate land and use imagination to grow your yard and home street).

To try it out, get in the game type "/home" in local chat (it is deliberately hard to do right now so that people don't get confused and think this is *the* permanent switchover — this house is just for your testing and customizations will eventually be reset). When you're at home, there will be a new button which takes you back to the regular game world.

Once you go inside, you'll see the new furniture tab by your inventory and a "decorate" button at the top-right of the game. Go crazy. Upgrading furniture is all free right now (in the future, some upgrades will be subscriber-only and some will cost credits).

You can't get any more furniture for now and you also can't give, trade or sell furniture until the next release (or maybe the one after that). However, you can bring your stuff over to the new house and not worry about it getting lost when we reset (we'll keep it all safe) — it is just the furniture customizations that you'll lose.

To move furniture around and place items on furniture, you need to be in "decoration mode", which will hide your avatar and allow you to use the arrow keys to pan around your house.

You'll be switched to decoration mode automatically when you drag something out of your furniture bag, but you can also hit the "decorate" button in the top right of the game window.

To change wallpaper, ceilings and floors, hit the "swatches" button which appears in the top bar when you're in decoration mode. You can stamp the patterns on or drag them into place. For wallpapers you can either to a single segment or the whole wall at once.

Finally, though the land outside your house is fixed for now (you can't expand it or add/remove resources yet) you do have a customizable signpost outside: you can use that to add up to five signs pointing to the home streets of people from your friends list.

Any questions? Thoughts? ;)

See also:  Blog post  •  Video Demo

Note: If you don't see any furniture (or just your trophies) inside your furniture bag when you enter your house, type "/home" again.

Note 2: You can type "/home" from wherever you are in the world, including other people's houses.

Note 3: We will give plenty of notice before the real switchover to the new housing system and, if you own a regular in-world house at that time, all of the items inside it will be moved over automatically. You don't have to move everything yourself.

Note 4: Many questions and answers have been summarized in this (unofficial!) FAQ

Posted 12 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 19
  • I wish I could hang a shelf over the front door, and pictures on the back door wall.

I wish we could supply our own textures or designs for walls, floor, and ceiling. I'd like to put my own pictures into frames (and sell them to other gllitchen!!).

The Creepy Candelabra doesn't sit in the proper center of my table. The overhead lights are proportioned really weirdly for the room sizes! I wish I could move the screens (decorations) to be room dividers.

People talk about getting into the attic. How do you do that? I have no access/opening, and spinach just bumps my head. :-(

It would be great to be able to name our street.

Could we have places in UR on our signposts as well as friends' streets? (Or a world map from the home like the one I currently enjoy in my Rasana home.)

I am picking nits. This is a great start.
    Posted 12 years ago by Pascale Subscriber! | Permalink
  •  Bees 

"I can't place my icons in the test house". Nothing was happening, it just wouldn't let me place them. 

I have now realised that I have to select "place" first..and not just try and drag it to where I wanted it..Select place first..allow it to drop, then drag it to preferred place. 

It's working now.
    Posted 12 years ago by Cryztal Subscriber! | Permalink
  • MUSIC- sorry if its been asked/answered -But I notice I have the general music in my house ( ie Frantic Banjos ) -i was hoping for the nice Higjhlands music to carry over from my old house in Rasanna to the new "test " house ...?? ..
    So will next release have option to change music in my house??? (please! ))
    Posted 12 years ago by serenitycat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Enjoying the house decorating options...it's a good start.

Would there be a way to get a grid overlay when in design mode (like in powerpoint when you are trying to line things up)?

Hoping the all styles of furniture will eventually be consistent across an entire line of furniture so you could have a completely themed house - right now some are more complete than others.  Understand this is just a first step, so these may be coming.

For additional styles, would love to see: snow themes, pool themes, beach themes (love the underwater theme right now, but really want a hammock and sand), boardwalk theme, carnival ride theme, circus theme, IX theme, Uralia theme, bog theme, flower theme, veggie theme, fruit theme, kid's room theme...would love most all of these themes for outdoors also when those are released.

I will throw in my support for personalized/uploaded pictures for the various frames and swatches, though I am enjoying some of the current artwork.

Need more table lamp styles. 

I think most of the other things were already covered...cool release...and looking forward to the future changes...still want to play with that construction tool we saw a while ago...
    Posted 12 years ago by Cabana Boy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Pascale, you can put stuff in the attic by entering decorate mode, and dragging it there from your inventory. Your Glitchen can't physically go up there, it's kinda more like a big cabinet space.
    Posted 12 years ago by Wrenlet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Glitchen can't physically go up there,

Are you absolutely, 100% sure about that?
    Posted 12 years ago by Mablem Tiipot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • stoot said: Kitsune Kyomoon: "allow us to fill the picture frames with photos made using the Snapshotting skill" — yes!

One of my faves -been asked several times in the ideas forum as well
    Also you would need to fix the camera mode, so it would take into account the zoom, and eventually switch to a higher resolution avatar when saving, so we may work on portraits

On the other hand, I have to say the available art for the picture frames is awesum
    Posted 12 years ago by Lemo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "will we eventually be able to have more then two trees on our house street?"
    soooo many trees (whatever combo of trees, gardens, rocks, jellisacs, etc that you want)

"I wish I could hang a shelf over the front door, and pictures on the back door wall."
    Perhaps - this would be cool

"I wish we could supply our own textures or designs for walls, floor, and ceiling."
    Animal crossing style! maybe!

"I'd like to put my own pictures into frames (and sell them to other gllitchen!!)."
    Wouldn't that be awesome???

"It would be great to be able to name our street."
    Coming!

"So will next release have option to change music in my house???"
    Probably!

"Would there be a way to get a grid overlay when in design mode"
    Hmm, interesting idea

"Hoping the all styles of furniture will eventually be consistent across an entire line of furniture so you could have a completely themed hous"
    Yes
    Posted 12 years ago by Bees! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "I wish we could supply our own textures or designs for walls, floor, and ceiling."
    Animal crossing style! maybe!
    ^^ THIS!! Animal Crossing FTW!! *overwhelming Gamecube nostalgia debuff*
    Posted 12 years ago by Maruchan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have a few suggestions :)

1. An undo button so that we can get our last few furniture changes back.
    2. If we could get a grid in decoration mode that we could toggle on/off I would be exceptionally happy. I really want to line my shelves up and a grid would be excellent in helping me achieve perfect symmetry.  Edit: I see this was suggested above me! Sweet.
    3. Making it so the delete/backspace key deletes furniture (so I don't have to drag it).

Thanks!
    Posted 12 years ago by heartNadia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm quite afraid about direct users picture uploads actually
    After seeing that in many mmos, the mixes of genres can sometimes ruin the design of the game
    IMO the art of glitch is quite unique, and a pic of P.Hilton on a wall could tend to major ocular trauma for unlucky visitors :p
    Posted 12 years ago by Lemo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • How do you convert upgraded furniture back to its original wooden design?
    Posted 12 years ago by Ari Cloud Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thinking ^^

Space
    I wonder if we could have space swoosh doors
    A Captains Chair
    Toxic moon View from the window
    A helm with lil twinkly panels
    Or
    Could we have a music room with a jukebox
    with a piano bed and drums for seats, cymbols for tables
    and record wallpaper or music scores
    gold record pictures
    a music room with a big cello case as a cupboard
    or as we stand up it could be a verticle bed

oooh ohh another idea
    a coffin
    have an upright coffin bed
    you could actually stand in it
    and the lid creaks when you come out
    great for zilloween

Just silly idea but ita almost 2am :P
    Posted 12 years ago by Faereluth Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Apologies if it's already been said--the tables seem to float a little off the floor at the same distance as the chairs. I was able to place a floor lamp at different distances.
    Posted 12 years ago by Ooloi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Actually, I am just overjoyed to see the mere mentioning of Animal Crossing, that I kinda fangirled and lost control for a bit - *not* crazy about user supplied textures/designs/<insert celeb here> walls either.
    It's this new interior decorating aspect that brings back fond memories... Pardon the confusion. XD
    ETA: I am aware that my comments are a bit off-topic. Sorry: I shall stop here.
    Posted 12 years ago by Maruchan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "How do you convert upgraded furniture back to its original wooden design?"
    you can't currently, sorry!

"I am just overjoyed to see the mere mentioning of Animal Crossing"
    Uh, me too. Obviously!!!
  • I absolutely love this.  I can't wait for it to go live, although I will miss my house that I have now.

But a little bug-  I placed a jar of Whortleberry Jam on my Baroque sofa, and when I picked it up I got the message "well, that didn't work!  Verb pickup ... " something. ><  I don't remember the last bit of it, but the jam moved from the sofa to my inventory anyway. 

Thanks for everything! 
    Posted 12 years ago by ElleKitty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I assume that you are not allowed...but can you tell us roughly how many days until upgrades?
    Posted 12 years ago by Pickle Bob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Help, please
    I'm still wandering around muttering "/home"   "/home"  "'/home" with absolutely NO results. It doesn't seem to matter where I am, nothing works.
    Posted 12 years ago by Jo Jo Ruffledspouse Subscriber! | Permalink
  • OK.. love it.. I love all the different options and stuff.. Just a few thoughts though.

1. I want more Yeti and Bear items please <3  I love cute stuff.. and I can't have an all matching set of items (at least, yet?)

2. Same as above.. with wall decorations please.. I'd like to have more options for decorating our walls.. And especially since "firebog" style things are now nonexistant (?).. if you could please make sure some of our decoration item options include firebog themed stuff.. for those of us that like that kind of thing.  :)

Otherwise great work, seems to work fine for now.. I'll test it more later when I'll be online more. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I put my music box trophies up in my new house, then changed my mind once or twice and took them down.  I now have 3 of each of them in my old house!  I'm enjoying testing out the new options and can only imagine how hard you guys are working on all this.  Thank you, I personally think it will be awesome, but you will never be able to please all the people all of the time!
    Posted 12 years ago by Mostly Mellow Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Jojo, you need to type house, not home.
    Posted 12 years ago by Oristia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • /home and /house both seem to work for me.
    Posted 12 years ago by TomC Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ah, that might do it!
  • MADE IT! YAY! Thanks Oristia and TomC
  • Dear Devs, 

since you are working so hard on this, please don't forget to put in a... something to finally allow us to go on vacation/be hospitalized/get a temporary total amnesia without having to worry about the well-being of our animals. A veeeery expensive whatevertron can be ok as well... but please include _something_ to spare us from the horror of dead pigs everywhere and disappearing butterflies!

...and thanks!
    Posted 12 years ago by Ayzad Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @pickle bob, the official status so far is "soon."
    Posted 12 years ago by Abby Cadabra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's lovely! I love the little stone house and the gorgeous scenery. The sign post is a great idea. This is really nice.
  • Odd bug.

I placed some furniture in my 'new' house. 

I returned to my old house and was mucking about.  I pressed 'search' to search my inventory and found various pieces of furniture like beds, chairs, tables, benches, etc.  I was also offered to upgrade them, however since I was in my 'old' house there was no inventory tab. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Sonnys Subscriber! | Permalink
  • request- DOORS-
    In my new house I'd like to be able to have the back of the front door be pretty .
    If not "stylish with a pretty doorknob and all " , - then please at least allow me to paint the door. The back of the current door looks very utilitarian and un -attractive currently.
    Speak of doors - can we have a door to the back yard added ?
    (I'd wish for a Japanese Shoji white and black paper sliding door personally .. :D )
  • All signposts ought to have a "back" leaf on them.
  • I didn't see this listed above anywhere but apologize if it has been mentioned. A friend of mine asked me to visit their new house and just check that all items placed while in decorate mode where actually locked down. Her one doll, the Ludwig, isn't but the other ones are. She tried placing them again while in decorate mode with the same problem. This also happens with the feeder and meat collector.
    Posted 12 years ago by Breezy Meadow Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Don't know whether this has been mentioned... but I would love to put a lawn chair outside so I can sit there while my plants grow!! Will this be possible?
    Posted 12 years ago by jjbob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Uh, this may have been mentioned, but when I place one of the smaller shelves up high (so that I can shove things in my attic :D) and then stand on it, my character vibrates.

Looks like a solely up/down vibration.

And then, when I go to the very leftmost or rightmost edge, I cease vibrating, but I cannot return to the centre of the shelf by walking or jumping, I have to leave the shelf and return to it. This does not happen with my larger, non-vibration-causing shelf. I think it probably has something to do with the roof limits and whatnot.
    Posted 12 years ago by Biohazard Subscriber! | Permalink
  • May we have windows?
  • Outside furniture and windows have already been mentioned for the future.
    Posted 12 years ago by oscarette Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bug: Used /home to go to my home, then used my sign to go to a friend's house. Met my friend on the public side of her house, gave her a moonstone, and attempted to click on the "return to world" button. 

The screen then acted as if I was quitting out of the game, but said, "Hope you like codes!" instead.

It kicked me back to my profile page, where I immediately re-entered the world. I was back in my non /home house where I had started. Except my friend told me I was *also* still standing there in front of her at her /home house, where I was before the game kicked me out. 
    Posted 12 years ago by megashub Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The "hope you like codes" was an update to the game that everyone was getting the first time they went to a new street after it was put in place.  (at, what, 10pm on a friday specktime?  oof).

Being still in your friend's house is totally buggy though.  :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Fnibbit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hey Fribbit, that's odd though since I had visited her street a few times before, so it wasn't "new" to me when this happened. Very strange.
    Posted 12 years ago by megashub Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like the "entering your house" screen
    Posted 12 years ago by bleefish Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @megashub, the "new" was in reference to a place other than the place you were. So for me I got the codes messge and reload when I moved from my street to my home.
    Posted 12 years ago by Tibbi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • When (or if) it becomes possible for us to customize what we put up as "art," I would be overjoyed to have the option of putting up some sort of small, simple, text-only label. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Agoraphobe Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It would be great if there were a settable option on our furniture "Do Not Climb." I don't like having folks standing on my dining table, etc.
  • request-please continue with the Asian/Oriental/Japanese decor theme , even on next release and subsequent relases - i still miss oy oriental cottage in Bortola ! (also - contiue please to offer options under each type decorating item so that an overall theme can be achieved ) .
    (you said to let you know what we liked the most ;)
    Would love to see more art for the walls in that theme!
    Please change the artwork slightly on the Japanese Stool -the stripes dont really go with the other pieces very well (and it kiinda looks like a giant piece of candy when you place it) . Maybe change the cushion to a non stripe.. mayeb change to a cream (goes well with the regal red bench then ) with gold sho symbol on that border edge . or just a solid colored cushion .. maybe just a solid cream as a neutral or solid light gray ... just thoughts.
  • I would be nice to know who has visited our street. Just a head count maybe, not actually names. Just to see if peopld have stumbled across us. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Tibbi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • When I drag items from house to inventory while in decoration mode, they don't go to the slot I placed them in, but rather they act as they were picked up, going to the first slot available. Don't know if it's a bug, but it's rather annoying.
    Posted 12 years ago by Electric Wizard Subscriber! | Permalink
  • (I'm not going to reply to questions that have been answered multiple times right now - we'll put together a FAQ or something shortly)

"something to finally allow us to go on vacation/be hospitalized/get a temporary total amnesia without having to worry about the well-being of our animals"
    good idea!

Sonnys: weird, i'll look into that

"I would be nice to know who has visited our street."
    cool idea!

"When I drag items from house to inventory while in decoration mode, they don't go to the slot I placed them in,"
    A known bug, sorry!
  • i've been trying to keep up with this thread so apologies if this has already been mentioned

i'd like an option to be able to "glue" down objects that i place in my house so that i can have parties and not worry about someone "borrowing" my mr fun pickle or gng music block

ta!
    Posted 12 years ago by Geeki Yogini Subscriber! | Permalink
  • also it would be cool if the bed were bouncy when i jump/walk on it:)
    Posted 12 years ago by Geeki Yogini Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Geeki, if you put things down while you are in decorating mode, it should glue them in place so your visitors can't pick them up.
    Posted 12 years ago by WindBorn Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18 19