Topic

Staff Topic

New skills, new furniture upgrades & SDBs

We have some new things for you to play with. This is not the promised 'R2' release, but a few things that come before it.

Firstly, there are 7 new skills available for learning. Indulge in some Fiber Arts, become a pro Fox Brusher, learn to bend wood and metal to your will and eventually create some furniture. The tools and recipes for these skills are not being released today, but you can get a headstart on learning them.

If you visit your new house, you'll see you have more furniture upgrade choices, along with more wallpapers. Go nuts.

Lastly, we've added a new kind of furniture we call Storage Display Boxes. They show up under 'cabinets' in your furniture bag. If you're already in your home, go back into the world and re-enter to get given some. SDBs allow you to show off the items you have, storing as many of that item as you like, without visitors being able to pinch them. They come in a bunch of fancy styles, so you can show off all your hard-won spoils.

Oh, and one more bonus feature. You can now 'downgrade' furniture to the original base item.

Posted 12 years ago by Bees! Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• OH.My.Giants. I don't want to spoil it for anyone else but the new furniture and painting upgrades? Out of this world!! ;) LOBE IT ALL!
    Posted 12 years ago by natsumi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • SQUEEE! spinning! my real life enjoyable hobbies are reaching in to glitch. Splendiferous.
    Posted 12 years ago by jiva Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "my real life enjoyable hobbies are reaching in to glitch" - fox brushing?
  • Sweet!
    Posted 12 years ago by Jope Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A moving box! Damn, this is the dream! Love it allllllll! Love the new wallpapers, especially the navy plain one, is perfection! Love the storage boxes also, so pretty!
    Posted 12 years ago by Lila Clemenceau Subscriber! | Permalink
  • As always, thank you TS!
    (rad, rad, rad!!!!!!!!!)
    Now, to see if Glitch Academy has updated........it has not.
    Posted 12 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sorry if it's been asked and I missed it...but are you only allowed 10 SDBs? Kinda lame if so, as stoot seemed to imply it would be limitless.

Also, SDBs sounds like a communicable disease. Eww.
    Posted 12 years ago by Joe Blow Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Pinch yourself Biohazard!
    Posted 12 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh snap, yays!
    Posted 12 years ago by Serra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Joe Blow: Eventually you will be allowed as many as you want -- we're just giving everyone 10 for testing.
    Posted 12 years ago by Myles! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • WAIT!!!! ...., O.O ,....  Snail!!!!?   :)    @"  WOOOTIES X1000
    Posted 12 years ago by Baldiboo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah!  Thank you TS!!  This is so exciting! Updates so far look AWESOME....looking forward to more glitchiness as the game grows!  Thanks!
    Posted 12 years ago by MiNu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Storage Display Boxes  = GENIUS!! Pure genius!!

8O...OMG!! I"m going to be so broke with as many as I'll be buying when the time comes :D :D :P
    Posted 12 years ago by sgjo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • As I understand it, storage display boxes have two important properties:

They are deep, so you can jam all your meat in one. 

They are locked, so you can display your pickle with one.  

yes?
    Posted 12 years ago by WalruZ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • YES!!!! Spinning and weaving arrive in Glitch!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by kastlin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Fiber Arts After Fox Brushing is Finished!  Then the rest of the new skills. This is so exciting!
    Posted 12 years ago by Tibbi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • WalruZ: Correct on both counts. The SDBs do have a practical limit (1000 "stacks"), but that's still pretty deep. And they are locked to the location owner only (not owner plus people with keys).
  • One question...will the foodstuffeths be safe from the piggies if I let them roam my house and the storage units are close to the floor?
    Posted 12 years ago by CrackedPot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • YES YES LOBE LOBE LOBE!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Sororia Rose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • CrackedPot: It is the same as any food inside a bag in the location -- piggies will ignore it, no matter how close to the floor it is.
  • 60,000 meat in a box? ...and then a wall of boxes....oh i see a plan...

(send onion rings)
    Posted 12 years ago by ☣ elf ☣ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • AWESOME! 50,000 Sparkly? Sure!
    Posted 12 years ago by La Mariposa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh oh! I would also like to do that same thing with fireflies - with empty and full and such please, kay thanks. LOBE!
    Posted 12 years ago by La Mariposa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Love it! By the time I've moved everything into the boxes I need an extra one for empty bigger bags ;)
    Posted 12 years ago by WeavingTheWeb Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Cool, TY, Myles!!!
    You have saved my piggies from banishment! :D
    Posted 12 years ago by CrackedPot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you! (Back to the game now)
    Posted 12 years ago by Stuv Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wish I would have known there would be a release R1.5...would have left work earlier today...TGIF!  Can hardly wait to start playing...oooo, must set new skills to learn...my poor rock has been sooooo bored for quite a while...not sure he'll remember how to read...Thanks for the non-R2 update in March ;)  Yippie!

ETA:  OMG, love love love the fish tank and fish coffee table...with moving fish!!! SWEET!  Thanks for additional counters - they are huge!  Think it is cool the SDBs can hang on the wall...and looking forward to playing with the new pictures...so many new design things....love the new wallpapers (wish there were a few more floors and ceilings too, but I can be patient for R2).  And we sooo needed a moving lava lamp...most excellent! Thanks again for some fun stuff to do this weekend!

Oh yea, and the Woodworking skill description is hilarious! 
    Posted 12 years ago by b3achy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My question:

**is there any reason not to move my diamond collection (trying for 1000 this calender year) into the SDBs at this point?**
    Posted 12 years ago by So sorry Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ~Silky~: the only reason might be wasted time - you'll have to put them into an SDB again when we do the permanent switchover
  • It isn't MUCH wasted time! you can move 70 diamonds at a time into a SDB--every diamond in your inventory!  I can't believe how fast this is going. I love it!  It won't be as huge a hassle when we have the permanent switchover. :) And this way I can see how many diamonds I have! *cheer* 
    Posted 12 years ago by So sorry Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hoooly shiits!
    Posted 12 years ago by Palindrome Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Glitch with the new furniture upgrades ~ I can't jump / walk on top of the Lab Counter!!  Not sure if it was just a one time glitch or if it's a problem with the furniture itself but either way, I thought it was worth mentioning.  :D
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The Lab Counter is a known issue - we'll fix it!
  • OK!  Thanks!

Also the Gold Plated SDB - you can jump on on but can't put stuff on top of that either!  The others work fine. :>

Edit actually the others don't work to Place items on top of, just tried it again and failed.  ~O.o~
  • Also, something I just noticed ~ When you go to "Upgrade" / Change Style of the wall decorations, their little pictures are flipped from their big pictures.. if that makes sense... ~O.o~  .. ^_^  My daughter noticed it, I had no clue.  Not sure if you guys meant it to be like that!  And of course you can always flip it but it felt worth mentioning!
  • Moar skills?! Yes! :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Piratice Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Auren: oh, weird! we'll look into it

[edit] a fix will go out shortly, thanks!
  • I tried, unsuccessfully, to place my faded heart in one of the new SDB - it was stored in my cabinet at my regular home but is NOT showing as one of the items that could be placed for display.  Bug or meant to be like that?
    Posted 12 years ago by MzMunchken Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ooh nice storage boxes, i thought they would be bigger and hold more different things like a shelf that no one can steal the stuff (or the store closet). Are they gonna be bigger when the real house comes and/or more of the boxes?
    Posted 12 years ago by ❧ℜook❧ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • MzMunchken: faded hearts cannot be placed in SDBs
  • RagDolly Anna: you'll be able to  have as many as you like. hundreds even!
  • Thanks for the good news.:)
    Posted 12 years ago by nekomaki Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd really like to be able to place the new storage cabinets on the floor.

I also find it frustrating that there's no way to designate a place for stuff to go when you remove items from storage. You can neither designate a target bag, nor dump them on the floor. You can't specify the number to remove.

It would also be helpful, when depositing, to have an option of depositing all BUT one.
    Posted 12 years ago by Pascale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Finally! The Rock...has something new to learn.
    Posted 12 years ago by rorschach Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I wish we had a way to stack or clump the SDB's together.. or like others have said, have more than 1 item in a single display box..  :)
  • My SDBs can't be set on the floor. When I place them down there's a gap between the floor and the bottom of the SDB. (Oh---sorry Pascale just mentioned that) But they stack nicely.

I hope there are plans for  multi-shelved cupboards with doors in which I can store items too....like the "old" trophy cases, but able to hold stacks of items. 

I'm excited about the new skills and eager to try them out.  Thank you for letting us get a head start learning them. My rock is very happy.
    Posted 12 years ago by GreyGoose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • placement on the floor - not with the current SDBs, no
    multi-slot cabinets - probably!
    more features - definitely!
  • Oh, now I know that I had more than 5000 planks in my old house. :D
    Posted 12 years ago by nekomaki Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If something is in a bag on the floor of my house, the SDBs can't seem to see that they're there.  Is there a way for me to get stuff out of my bags and into the SDBs at one time?  I have over fifty bags filled with the same thing.  The Inventory rack only holds 16.  
    Posted 12 years ago by jazzcrash Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hm...pick up the bag and then click "deposit" on SDB.  A huge inventory will open and it will include everything in the bag. Mine also included peat and loam that was on the ground out in my garden area.

Absolutely love the SDB's.
    Posted 12 years ago by Leelah Subscriber! | Permalink