Topic

Staff Topic

New skills, new furniture upgrades & SDBs

We have some new things for you to play with. This is not the promised 'R2' release, but a few things that come before it.

Firstly, there are 7 new skills available for learning. Indulge in some Fiber Arts, become a pro Fox Brusher, learn to bend wood and metal to your will and eventually create some furniture. The tools and recipes for these skills are not being released today, but you can get a headstart on learning them.

If you visit your new house, you'll see you have more furniture upgrade choices, along with more wallpapers. Go nuts.

Lastly, we've added a new kind of furniture we call Storage Display Boxes. They show up under 'cabinets' in your furniture bag. If you're already in your home, go back into the world and re-enter to get given some. SDBs allow you to show off the items you have, storing as many of that item as you like, without visitors being able to pinch them. They come in a bunch of fancy styles, so you can show off all your hard-won spoils.

Oh, and one more bonus feature. You can now 'downgrade' furniture to the original base item.

Posted 12 years ago by Bees! Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• :: giggles ::  A fast sloth.. oh the world ! It would be turned upside down!!  XD
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Great. There goes my social life. Again.
    Posted 12 years ago by Branfowl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Stoot: I prefer to think of myself as an "uber prepared Glitch" rather than an "Xtreme hoarder".  :P :P

(But thanks for these... my 11,000 meat look much better in a nice display case.)
    Posted 12 years ago by Zoethor2 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Just wanted to say how very, VERY cool it is that my little Glitchy person now turns to face whatever she's interacting with!!

Very awesome updates!! TY!!
    Posted 12 years ago by sgjo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh no need one more box to hold my last Potion group. Same for my emblems, Please add one more box so we have the right amount at least, Please
    Posted 12 years ago by Star Gazer Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Please consider this one more request for a more "shopping cart"-like approach to purchasing furniture/design upgrades. 

Generally, one wants to try out a bunch of ideas for color and items before making a purchase decisionIt's really nearly impossible to be sure how things will work together before previewing a bunch of them all together. If I'd had to actually BUY all of the things I tried before settling on my current choices, it would have a cost a fortune.

In Wardrobe, you can try out a bunch of things all at once, place them in your cart, remove the ones you don't want, and then purchase the ones you do all at once. This is a good model for house decoration, I think.

[Also, you currently have TWO different purchase UI-mechanics, one for furniture and the other for swatches. The swatch one is clunkier, imho.]
    Posted 12 years ago by Pascale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "The swatch one is clunkier"
    for sure. we're going to be cleaning that up a bit
  • Love the new display cases, just want more... and more.

Sloths, I think we will get a manacuring skill and then 'do' their nails to get nails for furniture building.
    Posted 12 years ago by Latajea Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Brilliant update in all respects -  right down to the fox brushing skill icon! Thank youuuu.

And chiming in with others hoping that existing multi-slotted/non-display cabinets (or something similar) will be available in the future.
    Posted 12 years ago by Christine Subscriber! | Permalink
  • When we have the permanent switchover, will our animals be automatically moved over too? (sorry if this seems like a stupid question)
    Posted 12 years ago by Jamie♥ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Aw Myles! - " Ok, it's not the Matryoshka set."  How cool would that be though?  That one last thing that you desperately need is in the smallest embedded box...it would encourage people to unpack vice leaving their stuff all in boxes...too bad RL moving doesn't work that way...(won't mention the crap I still have in boxes from moving 9 years ago... ;)...)

Will there be some improvements to getting stuff out of the SDBs?  Agree with the earlier comment that that it's kind of a pain to remove stuff since you can't designate where it will go, so it goes into the first empty slot (and then you either have to move it or drop it)...would love something like a drag and drop from the SDB to an inventory slot, and then you can choose either a full stack (or have that as the default) for that item, or choose something less. If you don't drag and drop, and just click on the SDB then it just defaults to the current method of downloading into the first empty slots in your inventory...

Love the idea of uber FAST sloths...think that would be absolutely hilarious...especially if they would produce honey...however, I did notice somewhere that we are using "snails" for fasteners...hmmm, pondering now if that is S(loth)nails...I initially thought that we were getting a wild mollusk in addition to the two animals, but I think it's more of a clue...

ETA: found it in the furniture making skill description:
    "The first step toward a more comfortable home. Teaching the correct end of a Construction Tool and just where a Snail should be hit (or turned, depending), Furnituremaking I is essential for the proud homeowner and requirer of basic furniture."
    Posted 12 years ago by b3achy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've made a cubimal TV set with a commander gnome!
    Posted 12 years ago by Sweetie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Question: Quests!

I haven't finished learning Furniture Making I. Have other people finished new skills? Have there been quests assigned? One would assume they would be hard to complete given that we don't yet have the right resources. Will learning all these skill in advance impact when and how we're given quests associated with them?
    Posted 12 years ago by Random Ghost Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think that sloths are for producing honey. Slowly dripping honey from slowly moving sloths. Goes well with all the other waiting things in the game.
    Posted 12 years ago by nekomaki Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Cool!
    Posted 12 years ago by Atomic-Glitter-Bomb Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I agree with whoever proposed that Sloths and Snails (Screw + Nail perhaps? Considering they can be either driven or turned according to the FM I description?) may be linked. Hmmm ;)
    Posted 12 years ago by Liza Throttlebottom Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sloth nails. Break out the clippers, folks. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Aleph Zero Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Loving it all :)  TY TY ... One question [and if someone else asked this I'm sorry to repeat] Since gameshow tickets are not stackable, does anyone have an idea on how to move them.  I really don't want to wait until "moving box" . Also, if I put, say 10 items in a SDB, I have to remove all 10 before I add any more?
    Posted 12 years ago by Qizara Subscriber! | Permalink
  • haha beachy ~ " won't mention the crap I still have in boxes from moving 9 years ago... ;)...)"  I thought I was the only one.  X3
  • Qizara - SDBs only hold one type of an item...however, I believe from previous postings that it will hold 1,000 of a stack of any item...so for gameshow tickets and pies, it will hold 1,000, but for meat it will hold 60,000 and for milk it would be 80,000...etc. To move gameshow tickets from an old Ur house to a new Imagination house, it's either lots of trips, lots of bags, or wait until the moving boxes...
  • "Also, if I put, say 10 items in a SDB, I have to remove all 10 before I add any more?"

yes
  • b3achy.... ty :)  My main question were how to move the tickets, which like you said best to wait for moving boxes, very disappointing [wanted to get them off the floor] but I will live with it:)

My other question was about depositing more items of the SAME to a SDB. But it really doesn't matter now.  Fuzznfurr sent me an in game IM.  Fuzz told me all I had to do was drag the item to the SDB.  Thank you FUZZNFURR.  Duh  why didn't I think of that :)
  • Drag the item that is already in the SDB and drop it on top of it Qizara :) Should bring up a menu asking how many you wish to deposit. If not, that's a bug :)
  • Thank you Liza :)
  • Fuzz beat me then ;)? Whoops~
  • I noticed that I can walk atop my SDBs but I cannot place anything on that surface.  I'd love to be able to use it as a shelf too.
    Posted 12 years ago by Cadmium Blue Subscriber! | Permalink
  • the Countess, if you drop an item while you are standing on the SDB, it should work that way.
    Posted 12 years ago by TomC Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ah, good call TomC.  Thanks :)

EDIT:  Well, I tried that and while the item momentarily pauses as if it will sit on top of the SDB, it ultimately falls to the floor/next highest surface.
    Posted 12 years ago by Cadmium Blue Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It works for some SDBs and not others. Try experimenting, dropping/placing stuff, and then switching the SDB style :)

They'll be changing it so items are not place-able or drop-able on top of any SDBs, though.
    Posted 12 years ago by millefiori Subscriber! | Permalink
  • These are cool but I still need a large cabinet. 
    Please forgive me for not reading this whole thread and just jumping to ask will we still be getting cabinets? 
    Posted 12 years ago by Eye Wonder Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Bees!: As it turns out, one does not have to remove all of the items in a SDB before one adds any more. In fact, one can simply click and drag the items from inventory and add the items to the appropriate SDB.

>>Also, if I put, say 10 items in a SDB, I have to remove all 10 before I add any more?"
    >>
    >>yes
    Posted 12 years ago by usterka Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't have SDBs :(
    Posted 12 years ago by Mithrandnar Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Mithrandnar: Everyone should have SDBs. They are the storage boxen that you can decorate your /house with- you should have a total of ten, in fact. Double-check your furniture in your test house. I hope this helps!

>>I don't have SDBs :(
    Posted 12 years ago by usterka Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mithrandnar, the should be in the new furniture category: cabinets.
    Posted 12 years ago by Aleph Zero Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Is the R2 coming today?
    Posted 12 years ago by Pickle Bob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Nope.
    Posted 12 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • why? too much stuff? that would make sense because the upgrade will be awesome!!!!!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Posie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Am I the only one with Butterflies that fly underground, under my Test House, and stealthily behind decorative shrubs? 
    Posted 12 years ago by Lunarsolar Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Overall, it's a pretty cool intermediate update.  Looking forward to the real R2, later this week, per all of stoot's forum hints...

So, this is a nit-pick, but the depths of the SDBs are a bit different.  It would be nice for us OCDers to have them be consistent.  I noticed it while putting the White Swedish-y SDB next to the Black and White Striped SDB...the Black and White one isn't as deep as the White Swedish-y one yet they are flat on the front...it's the end next to the wall that is awkward looking, since they don't match.  Because of this inconsistency, while I wanted a cool block of nine alternating blocks on the wall with spaces between the blocks, I had to mash it together to reduce the inconsistency to just the top edge.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lone Wolfette Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ... Stoot?  Is it coming tomorrow..?  >_>
  • It's like a badge Auren. As soon as you truly don't believe it's coming, it will come :) When you check frantically for an update, never. *Personal Experience*
  • Double
  • I have to disagree with that theory.  It's like the saying "a watched pot never boils."  But, that is utterly false, since watched pots do boil.  The laws of physics require that they boil, whether they are watched or not.  So, similarly, I'm pretty sure the update will come whether Auren believes it is coming or not.  Elf believing, is an entirely different matter...
    Posted 12 years ago by Shallawalla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I wish I could put storage boxes in my attic. My attic is my new favorite place! <3
    Posted 12 years ago by Phaedra Jane Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I also wish we could put the storage boxes in the attic. And I wish we could put them on the floor. I have so much great Glitch art on my walls that I don't have room for very many containers (in the current test house).
    Posted 12 years ago by Gelderlin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • any chance this will come out before the easter weekend ?:))) I will make you an awesome stew if I get an answer :D
    Posted 12 years ago by MonkeyPantz Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Apropos of nothing other than petty jealousy: @Bees! you said that Carl Projectorinski has an excellent user name. And while I completely agree, I think that *MY* name is awesome, too. #iampathetic
    xo
    Mac Rap
    Posted 12 years ago by Mac Rapalicious Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well he answered if it's coming today with "No, not today" so I thought maybe he'd go one step further and answer if it's coming tomorrow... X)
  • OMG!!! I JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING!! What if it *IS* coming today and him saying it's NOT coming today is an April Fool's Joke??!!! @_@  WHOOAAAA
  • stoot has made one post (I think maybe in this thread) that it would not be in March.  He made another that it wouldn't be today (a few posts above).  He also made a third post that 'by next week, the concept of locked or not locked to our streets would be irrelevant with the release' (in the thread about voting on whether we wanted to have things locked to our home streets). That last statement was made, I think this past Thursday.  So, given those statements, it will likely be sometime Mon - Thurs of this week...however, always remember those are estimates, and sometimes there is a last minute bug that is noted, so the timeline has to shift to fix it...

(and yes, I'm being too lazy to link to those posts...I'll let you folks do your homework and find them yourselves...enjoy!)