Topic

Staff Topic

New skills, new furniture upgrades & SDBs

We have some new things for you to play with. This is not the promised 'R2' release, but a few things that come before it.

Firstly, there are 7 new skills available for learning. Indulge in some Fiber Arts, become a pro Fox Brusher, learn to bend wood and metal to your will and eventually create some furniture. The tools and recipes for these skills are not being released today, but you can get a headstart on learning them.

If you visit your new house, you'll see you have more furniture upgrade choices, along with more wallpapers. Go nuts.

Lastly, we've added a new kind of furniture we call Storage Display Boxes. They show up under 'cabinets' in your furniture bag. If you're already in your home, go back into the world and re-enter to get given some. SDBs allow you to show off the items you have, storing as many of that item as you like, without visitors being able to pinch them. They come in a bunch of fancy styles, so you can show off all your hard-won spoils.

Oh, and one more bonus feature. You can now 'downgrade' furniture to the original base item.

Posted 12 years ago by Bees! Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I've got a bunch of full firefly jars--ALL full--in a case, but the image is of a single firefly in a jar. :<
    Posted 12 years ago by Sororia Rose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love love love it that we can now go back to the default "un-upgraded" look. Thank you so much for this!
    Posted 12 years ago by Sirentist Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Just in case anybody is curious, if you try to click on someone else's SDB a menu tries to load and then goes away.  That's all that happens.
    Posted 12 years ago by So sorry Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for the new items and skills in this intermediate update.  Like so many of the new furniture items...too many to name.  

I was hoping to see a variety of the old cabinets.  While the SDB's are cool for single stacks of lots of stuff, they won't take a bag, and I liked putting an entire bag in the slot in cabinets and being able to shut the door so I don't have to look at the mess. I hope they do come back (in addition to the SDB's not in lieu of them)...also, some things like loam or Urth, I'd rather not have on display while I store it...so count me in for a yes vote to having regular old multi-slot cabinets again, if that would help to sway the "probably" to a "definitely"...

Will we eventually be able to change the color/paint/type of wood on furniture?  I love the new aquariums, and the new fish tank coffee table, but one is black and the other is a natural wood...they really don't go together...but if I could change the coffee table to black or vice versa, I'd be quite the happy camper since I like things like that to match...
    Posted 12 years ago by ~Pink Flamingo~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What about the sloths? Will we be able to brush them too?
    Posted 12 years ago by OMG BACON!! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sororia Rose: yeah, known issue. we will probably fix that!
  • Kronos Rats: everyone knows sloths don't like being brushed. what do sloths like? you'll find out pretty soon!

[edit] I'd love to hear your predictions on how our sloth friends will fit into all this ;)
  • Not sure the storage boxes are that much use due to their single item type ability, that'd be 11 for emblems 11 for icons thirty or so for tool raw materials 40 or 50 for food ingredients and that'd be me just half cleared the floor. Multi purpose usage like bags or cabinets would be a lot better or is that not really the intention?
    Posted 12 years ago by Benzyl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Benzyl: not really the intention. they're a way to show your stuff off while still making it easy to get at items
  • How about specialized SDBs then, ones that can take only rocks, or metal ingots, or elements?  beats using 4 different ones for rocks, doesnt it?
    Posted 12 years ago by ☣ elf ☣ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh wow!!! I can't wait until I can get in to play!!
    Just a question.. Any Easter related items this year??? I'm sure my chocolate bunny would love a friend!
    Once again... You amaze me. Thank you so much for the update!!! ((((Big, BIG hug to Tiny Speck!))))
    Posted 12 years ago by jjbob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I hope the suggestions coming in are "in addition to" not "instead of" because I totally love the SDBs the way they are, but yes, I am hoping for some "refrigerator" or "locker" type storage more like the cabinets in the old houses...things that will hold bags and gift boxes and mixtures of things, but again, In addition to the SDBs!
  • This has been a great mini update, thanks TS! I'm looking forward to what's to come, how the new skills will be used/what we'll be crafting, and finally to see what the new animals will look like - fun fun fun! I'm also very happy that we have some sort of storage the is locked for the homeowner. Oh, and the fish tank/aquarium is awesome!

@Bees! "I'd love to hear your predictions on how our sloth friends will fit into all this" -- If they're involved in home improvement. My guess is for crafting paint. Made from their stomach acid (how we get them to barf that out, I don't know?) and combined with herbs.. you know, for a variety of colors ;-)
    Posted 12 years ago by Sadie the Goat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Question: will using the SDBs help with the loading lag for our /homes that are very very full of stuffs?  My house takes quite a lot of time to fully render all the items in it at the moment.
    Posted 12 years ago by Zoethor2 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If we're going to have crafting paint, we simply MUST get the capacity to paint our pigs, chickens, and butterflies.  This is not only aesthetically interesting to contemplate but could make it much easier to see and tend the little critters.
  • Bees!, I am thinking the sloths probably lick the foxes....slowly....thus getting hairballs that they then leave hanging in trees for us to find???

Also when will we be able to build Hot Tubs!? I am pretty sure these are very high on stoot's to do list.
    Posted 12 years ago by Dagnabbit Rabbit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So, they hold 1000 stacks... I have 7,797 meats so far... 52,203 to go!
    Posted 12 years ago by Zoethor2 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm excited!
    Posted 12 years ago by DJ Tanner Subscriber! | Permalink
  • good sloth ideas so far. not going to say if any of you are right though :p
  • I'm sorry it this has been answered, but will furniture be trade-able/auction-able/give-able in the future? (Like, the basic skeleton.)
    Posted 12 years ago by Binary Star Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My SITOBTG looks so despairingly through the window of the SDB back out at me. I think he feels trapped in there. 
  • Thanks so much, Tiny Speck. It's all so thrilling, especially the new skills. I'm looking forward to what is still to come! :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Flowerry Pott Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If the sloths in game are anything like Sloth from The Goonies we should be able to offer it a chocolate bar or some rocky road ice cream in exchange for its help.

Furniture wise I can only hazard a guess that perhaps they can sharpen tools with their claws or distress furniture to give it that shabby shic look?

My mind boggles - their heads can revolve 360 degrees and they eat their own poop. Will they perhaps by in game lawyers or process our tax returns?
    Posted 12 years ago by Cleops Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Someone else had the ideas that sloths are where we'll get honey from. Honey moves pretty slowly and so do sloths. Maybe sloths will move slower and slower as they fill up with honey, and then as we harvest their honey they'll move fast! Maybe sloths are really fast, but they just have to go slow because they're so sticky with honey!
    Posted 12 years ago by LokiPDX Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Way too much fun going on to even know what to do with myself!  

Just one issue so far - I have the same issue as other Glitchians with the SDBs when it comes to some items - I think an emblem should just be an "emblem" regardless of which giant it is, so one box could hold all of my random emblems.  Same for keys, cubimals, and maybe ingots, musicblocks, different rocks, etc.  

In the meanwhile, I'll stuff some bags full and stick 'em in the attic!

Keep up the good work, and thanks for the great game!

Okay - now, where did I put my real life... I know it's around here somewhere...
    Posted 12 years ago by La Maestra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I believe we have to use nail trimmers to get Sloth Nails - snails - so we can fasten wooden items and screw metal items together. 

What do I win?
    Posted 12 years ago by WalruZ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Zoethor2 — re "will using the SDBs help with the loading lag".

Yes, they should help quite a bit for the Xtreme hoarders out there.
    Posted 12 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • La Maestra — re "I think an emblem should just be an "emblem" regardless of which giant it is, so one box could hold all of my random emblems.  Same for keys, cubimals, and maybe ingots, musicblocks, different rocks"

This won't ever happen for SDBs (there would be no way to get the specific item you want) so you are better to put them in bags. We haven't made any final decisions about bag storage/cabinets yet, so ... we'll see what happens!

But, also, you have to imagine what it will be like when you have ten or even 50 times the space you currently have for your house: if you had huge rooms (or a separate building) devoted to storage, using SDBs to keep things organized would be even handier than mixing items by type.
  • But, also, you have to imagine what it will be like when you have ten or even 50 times the space you currently have for your house: if you had huge rooms (or a separate building) devoted to storage, using SDBs to keep things organized would be even handier than mixing items by type.
    Posted 4 min ago by stoot barfield

I like way you think!! a whole storage shed, whoo hoo!!~
    Posted 12 years ago by ~Annie~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am one happy Glitch!!!!  Thanks TS!
    Posted 12 years ago by kat65 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ummm...sloths toenails! We can clip their toenails, and wear them as a hat.
    Posted 12 years ago by OMG BACON!! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for the new skills!  Nice to see the rock in his last days with something to do!

I like the idea of the SDBs for those things that I either want to display (for example my funpickle when I didn't have a sofa/couch to lock it to), or that I have a bunch of and want to keep them together (and yes, was already contemplating a huge storage room, so it will definitely help with organization), or that are special items that take up a single slot in bag but I may want to stack them - like the various pies for the holidays, the rock of no intrinsic value, etc.

However, there are many items that I just won't hoard, and would like to have an option to put them into bags that I can put into a cabinet (like my one full set of music blocks that I would prefer to keep in a set of bags to loan out).  Also, when there were street projects it was good to be able to grab your appropriate project bags and run off to work...will be rather a pain to have to download just a bag's worth of project stuff out of 16 different SDBs - much less have to do it for multiple bags.  So, for those of us with OCD, it would be super awesome to still have cabinets for those bags that we will still have around the house...but want to keep out of the way / out of sight. Also for those that are greeters and do up welcome bags, or those of us that like to build gift bags for friends, etc...we currently have no option in the new homes for storage of said bags, except maybe the floor of that storage area.

Love all the movement items in this release - the fish tank, the fish coffee table, the radar screen, the other picture (can't remember the name right now), and the lava lamp.  Looking forward to the full R2, and can't wait to see the new tools...and the new critters...oh, I like the honey concept for the sloth...

ETA: Oh, and that panda bowl is too cute - have it sitting on my coffee table...will we be able to fill up those dishes with things like candy from  Zilloween or popcorn...oh, wait we can't make popcorn yet...er...um...choice crudites then?
    Posted 12 years ago by Uniquely Prime Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Possible bug?

I put 32 Awesome Stew in a SDB (Simply Red, if it matters) and then removed the stew. When I removed the stew, the SDB disappeared! So far as I can tell, it did not go back into my inventory--it's just gone!
    Posted 12 years ago by Dr.Maud, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oooohhh.... and the trophy that I had sitting on top of the SDB is gone, too!
    Posted 12 years ago by Dr.Maud, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • HOLY FRICKIN' YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by RJStormRider Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "multi-slot cabinets - probably!"
    Aw man, only PROBABLY? :<

:: sits in a corner & pouts ::

... :: remembers .. FOXES!! ::

:: iz happiez ::
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • it might sound a bit weird, but I just wanted to say, as a beta tester who hasnt logged in in far too long, how proud I am of Glitch. i've been a bit touch n go lately, but all the improvements have been so player-experience oriented lately and I'm excited about when I'll have time to log in and catch up. Cant wait to read more about Imagination too. anyway, keep rockin it!!
    Posted 12 years ago by FlirtyvonSexenhaven Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks FlirtyvonSexenhaven — there's a lot more coming too :)
  • Bees, Myles, Stoot, Everyone @ TS, You are the most awesomest ever!! What a terrific surprise to come home to after a week with my nose to the grindstone at a crappy j.o.b.!  You are the best!!  Thank you soooooo much :) !!  I am going to have so much fun this weekend :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Princess Fi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Whoo! This is all awesome. :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Roger Conte Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Can things get any better?? I'm just stunned with everything and there's so much more to come...thank you seems so inadequate...

Sloths are tree fertilizers who bury their weekly waste near the roots. Aside from wanting to just sit and snuggle them or drape them over my shoulders as a furry companionable cape, I can perhaps envision clipping their nails and grinding them down for powder. Then combine this powder with several other ingredients for a variety of different products ranging from cloth dyes to food colors to building materials.

And well, we need a Poohbear for honey :o)...or a badger...:o)
    Posted 12 years ago by Poney Tails Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ok, I'm totally going to go with:
    Clipping Sloth Toenails = Nails / Rivets for furniture making.  
    Posted 12 years ago by Nerd of Epic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sloths will transform into adorable alpacas.  No, I'm not bitter or anything....

I think WalruZ nailed it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Empyreal Subscriber! | Permalink
  • When are the animals going to come out? Also, when the animals come out will the skill "Fiber Arts" appear? 
    Posted 12 years ago by Paxton Subscriber! | Permalink
  • will the number of moving boxes depend on how many items you have?
    Posted 12 years ago by AwesomeCardinal2000 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for the response, stoot! I only asked because I'm incredibly short-sighted due to the recent glut and frenzy of wooping-it-up, and didn't stop to think about the awesome house I will have and the future storage possibilities of what may or may not be build-able. Now that I have come down from my giddy high, I can totally see it, and totally can wait until the whole kit-and-caboodle is up and running to get myself sitchamated.

Okay - I cannot totally wait - so I will go /home and fuss and play impatiently!

And - sloths are for riding.  Slowly.  Or gathering moss. Or gathering moss while riding slowly.
    Posted 12 years ago by La Maestra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Fiber Arts is already there.  You just need to already know Fox Brushing first.
    Posted 12 years ago by Nerd of Epic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Dr.MaudGonne: If you haven't already, please file a bug on that so that we remember to look into it.

AwesomeCardinal2000: They probably will, though they're still in flux. Perhaps you will just get one that's guaranteed to get everything in it, maybe you'll get multiple smaller ones, maybe a Matryoshka set where the last doll contains the one thing we decided to save from your house? Who knows!?

Ok, it's not the Matryoshka set.
    Posted 12 years ago by Myles! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oops, heh.
    Posted 12 years ago by Agoraphobe Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Great, now all I want is a Matryoshka set of moving boxes. 

Also, regarding sloths: I don't care what we get from them or what function they perform in the game, I just hope they're really super fast. Like, faster than a dustbunny fast.
    Posted 12 years ago by Sirentist Subscriber! | Permalink