Topic

Staff Topic

R2: Preview of even more house features

It's that's time again - Release 2 of houses is upon us!

It will take a while to roll out the changes to everyone - you can leave your house and then type "/home" to be immediately migrated

To see the new features, reload your game client and visit your house (by typing "/home" in chat). The first thing you'll see is that there are no trees or rocks outside your house any more. But worry not - you can add some yourself with "cultivation". Click on the small sign next to your house to get a menu of options. Once you've mastered cultivation, you can try expanding your street and then changing your house exterior. You can also change the style of your home street. Sick of Groddle? Move to Uralia, Firebog or even THE MOON.

That's awesome, right? Wrong! There's more awesome stuff inside. Head to your backyard to switch styles, cultivate the land or expand your yard. Want to make your house interior bigger? Ok! When in decoration mode, click the buttons in the top bar to extend your house or add new floors.

There are a lot of moving parts in this release - we want to hear about bugs, what you like, what you don't like, areas we should expand on or improve and what you think we need to add. Go forth and test!

___
Questions? Please be sure to read this notes:

Note 1: All upgrades and expansions are free at the moment. This is only a test. There will be a housing reset before it is fully launched.

Note 2: If you missed preview release 1, read about it first!

Note 3: You can't move or delete gardens, rocks, etc., after placing them in cultivation mode. But, you will be able to do in the future.

Note 4: Are you missing some items? No, you are not. They are still there. In some cases, if things were placed near the edge of your yard or home street, you might have to expand a few times to reveal them.

Note 5: We are still testing and this is not the final release. There is more to come.

Note 6: Expansions to your land (yard or home street) happen one at a time. This may seem annoying/cumbersome/slow, but: you are testing as a higher level player when it is all free. If you were earning your way to a larger space over time, it would not seem thus because you wouldn't be doing them all at once.

Note 7: Can't find the upgrade (home-shaped) sign in by the back and front doors of your house. You probably have stuff on top of it. Pick that stuff up :)

Posted 12 years ago by Bees! Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 16
  • "Would like an option to shift the house placement on the street to the left or right." - this will be possible in the future

"The expansion of the street is painful - you can only do one at a time (out of a possible 19 upgrades) and it takes quite a while to load." - no. once released, you wont be expanding multiple times in a row. expansions are not free and will have to be earned gradually

"there is no way to expand the background" - read the previous posts - sounds like you're half migrated

"My backyard doesn't match the street theme that I chose" - front and back yards are independant

"I hope we get the option to add various sized rooms." - in the future

"something other than the weird elevator doors, like trees or vines to climb." - planned, sort of

"Would have liked a few cosmetic items too like groddle meadow type flowers, fountain/statue options, and the ability to make our own terrain - mini hills, water features, etc." - planned for the future

"will we ever be able to move cultivation items after we've placed them?" - in the future

"Will we be able to have things to stand on like logs, mounds, floating Islands?" - in the future (outdoor furniture may work similar to indoor stuff, not like cultivation)
  • Another thing I'd like to see (though may not be possible really) is for us to choose whether to spend all of our expansions in one direction, or, like they are now, divided between left and right.  I'd like to only expand to the left, and leave the house at the far right side.  :s

Edit - Oh!  Just saw what you posted Bees.  Thanks for all the input!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bees: MeherMan: don't reload - just follow the oft-posted instructions!

Ah ha! I discovered the problem re no Front Sign...

Front Sign was hidded behind my Zille Icon!  

LoL
    Posted 12 years ago by MeherMan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for all the timely responses Bees! :)
    Posted 12 years ago by b3achy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Had a blast customising, but now the "back to world" button isn't working! The game keeps telling me "To leave, you must first go /home". Reloading doesn't seem to help.
    Posted 12 years ago by Woolf Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It would be very helpful to be able to zoom in and out when choosing house styles. It's hard to decide on choices without seeing the details!
    Posted 12 years ago by Pascale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Woolf: investigating now!

update: we found a bug. myles is working on it right now. did you get summoned to someone's house maybe?
  • I have another bug. :(

I placed a Patch on the end of my /Home Street, but I put it there when there was a little glitch and my Home Street was already at max size. Then, it changed back to the normal size, so I had to change it normally. Once I went all the way to the end, I can't find my patch. Now I can't have a Tree in the Home Street. Help?
    Posted 12 years ago by I Love You TS Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Nope, I've only been to my own house. I did visit someone else's (not yet migrated) home street, but I'm fairly certain the problem was present before then.

edit: Fixed now! ♥
  • One (other) question ... what does  (percent)% Lifespan Remaining on the Cultivated Items mean??
  • I was expecting wall segments to be visible, after expanding now I just end up with one longgggg room, is it suppose to work this way right now? 
    Posted 12 years ago by WeavingTheWeb Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Any chance that being in ALL of the modes won't drain energy and mood? Violet shouldn't be this unhappy with all the AMAZING NEW THINGS!!!! :)

p.s. All of this rocks and I have the vapors.
    Posted 12 years ago by Violet Lapin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The yard sign says "change your street style." Shouldn't it say: "Change your back yard style?"

Also, a street option is "Guilded Marsh." Do you mean "Gilded Marsh?"
  • I'd have to say that I hope the "number of expansions" stays the safe after the official release.  I love the fact that I've only half expanded my backyard, 3/4 expanded my house (with a 2nd floor) and barely expanded my front yard and I have soooo much space! That's coming from an Alakol mansion dweller.  Everything is fantastic so far.  Once you release this officially, I'll have to play for weeks (if not months) to expand my house, craft all my furniture etc...Keep up the great work!
    Posted 12 years ago by Mogen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • [This post has been deleted]
    Posted 12 years ago by Pavida Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Woolf: should now be fixed

Auren: that question has already been answered

WebWeaver: that's the expected behaviour

Violet Lapin: that's a sensible idea!

☠ Nuh' Squeezing: i'll look into it
  • Just to chime in and agree with others about the frustrations of having to "Expand" over and over. Please show us our max expansion units, and let us choose how many to use.
  • It is! Thank you.
  • Pascale: noted. we'll look into both things
  • Pascale: please read the MILLION TIMES where i've already explained why it's like that
  • ☠ Nuh' Squeezing: actually, i have no idea what you mean. sorry!
  • WOOOOAAAAAHHHHH FOR THE FIRST TIME, THERE WAS A BIG ! ON MY SCREEN!!!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Taco Assassin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I can see the cultivate button, but when I click on it, all the options (patches etc) are greyed out and it says I need more yard space?
    Posted 12 years ago by ShyK Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Love all the expansions and stuff we can play with.  Thanks. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Tibbi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bees, mainly my Patch isn't on the screen, but it says it is.
  • My house wont load... well, its stuck on 99 percent. is that a known bug?
    EDIT: 'It says connection timed out' after a while
    Posted 12 years ago by Hua Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have been playing with the look of my back yard with a few different looks. I noticed, in the Warm Frolic, I still have the two garden signs from before. The one for the herbs and the gardens plots. I've not tried all the backgrounds, but the other two I tried did not have the signs in them.
    Posted 12 years ago by Soymocha Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Will the planks used to upgrade floors and such be refunded? 

nvm, we can only make one floor (for now)
    Posted 12 years ago by Rook Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ahh sooo okaayy where IS the answer??  :<
  • the sno cone vendor toy's wheel hangs off the edge of the Wood Top Counter
    Posted 12 years ago by Piece of Serenity Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Any chance we will be able to have stairs as an alternate to a door?:
    Posted 12 years ago by Altered Ego Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ShyK: leave your house and do /home again
    ☠ Nuh' Squeezing: expand your street until it appears
    Soymocha: weird!
    Rook: nope
  • Auren: it is answered at the top of this page. and on every page before that.
  • I did expand it to the maximum, but it's not there.
  • After expanding to the max, there is not enough space in the backyard:
    Will there be an option to remove cultivation items we placed in front or backyards? 
    Posted 12 years ago by Miyoko Magic in SL Subscriber! | Permalink
  • your BFF Morgan Kay: yes
  • Holy sweet mother of Spriggan! OK, I really have nothing to complain about...bit tedious to do some things...sure, but it's an iteration of the grand scheme. This should be expected.

Would I like things to decorate my yard? Heck yes I would, and I would love to change the land, hills, water, maybe even some big trees to sit in and contemplate my Glitchness, am I asking for them now? No.

I agree with Violet, the loss of energy and mood should be changed, as when I am home, I am relaxed and happy, so hopefully that changes after the awesomeness has subsided that is the beginning of R2.

Mostly though, right now, I'd like my Back to World button to work. Please and thank you. No rush, I'll be playing for a while. NEVER MIND, it works.

Thanks TS, I subscribed because I believed in your potential to create something amazing and I think you're at about 1.5-2% of the potential I believe you have. Cheers, and your hard work is appreciated.
    Posted 12 years ago by rorschach Subscriber! | Permalink
  • not to be annoying, but you missed my question???
  • Follow-on impressions...wow...

The house is potentially huge!  Look forward to segmentation in the future, but this is exciting.  Love that it will be like a street project to expand the house or add a floor...yippie!! (love the description of the wall segments and girders...look forward to being able to create/make them).

And the yards are mega big.  Know that we will have to earn their expansions, but now it gives me lots to work for in the future!  Thanks!  I can get excited by this!

Surprised also to see we don't have pen options.  Are pens gone for good in lieu of the sticks? (If so, not a great loss, IMO...hated that I lost so many piggies to starvation in the pens before I could learn RHK.)

Will we ever get options for dark patches for egg plants?

Also, count me in for the vote for windows...but know those will be later...

Again, uber fun, and this is quite a wonderful update/change/start to something grand!
    Posted 12 years ago by b3achy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There don't seem to be landscape features behind which to hide unsightly feeders and milkers. Will we have some kind of affordance to add bushes or outdoor decorations of some kind?
  • To the person who was lamenting the lack of dark patches: I actually just planted an egg plant bean in my front yard and it seems to be working alright.
    Posted 12 years ago by Fern Connelly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ok so in my excitement I also placed a patch and barnacle thing and jelliastic thing waaaay to the left.  then when I changed styles of my street they went buh bye.  I expanded all the way in both directions and still can't see them, but my cultivate button says I already have them.  Just like NuhSqueezin said
    Posted 12 years ago by Gadzooks Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Great work devs :)
    Amazing, Simply wonderful!
    I plan to play with this like crazy over the next week.
    Thanks so much!
    Boaz
    Posted 12 years ago by Boaz Jachin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Miachia: try reloading

"Are pens gone for good in lieu of the sticks?" - yes

"Will we ever get options for dark patches for egg plants?" - you can plant them in regular patches!
  • how about a snowscape?  mountains, snow, drifts, etc.?
    (oh and like it :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Fried Butter Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Gadzooks: weird, we'll look into it
  • Bees, I have no complaints or questions. I just want to say that you're AMAZING for answering all these questions (sometimes multiple times!) without losing your temper. I would have already blown up at someone... (This is why I No Longer work in customer service (by choice!)!) 
    Posted 12 years ago by Kiachan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lost my street collectors, feeders, and sticks in the migration. The front door is visually smaller than my Glitch. Seems weird to stand there and be taller than the door. Will that little yard sign eventually go away? Its not that cute. Perhaps an option to put it up by the Cultivate? And the photo of me on the door is a bit creepy. I know I live there. Others know I live there. Its like having a mirror hanging on my front door. Its just eeeeewy.   LOVE everything else. :P

Posted 12 years ago by Dagnabbit Rabbit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • tried reloading and restarting my computer, no luck.
  • Seems I lost a counter-style of table.  It was blue, I think with a white top?  Now it has reverted to un-upgraded bare wood style, and the style that it was is not a choice.
    Posted 12 years ago by Gaalen Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 16