Topic

Staff Topic

R2: Preview of even more house features

It's that's time again - Release 2 of houses is upon us!

It will take a while to roll out the changes to everyone - you can leave your house and then type "/home" to be immediately migrated

To see the new features, reload your game client and visit your house (by typing "/home" in chat). The first thing you'll see is that there are no trees or rocks outside your house any more. But worry not - you can add some yourself with "cultivation". Click on the small sign next to your house to get a menu of options. Once you've mastered cultivation, you can try expanding your street and then changing your house exterior. You can also change the style of your home street. Sick of Groddle? Move to Uralia, Firebog or even THE MOON.

That's awesome, right? Wrong! There's more awesome stuff inside. Head to your backyard to switch styles, cultivate the land or expand your yard. Want to make your house interior bigger? Ok! When in decoration mode, click the buttons in the top bar to extend your house or add new floors.

There are a lot of moving parts in this release - we want to hear about bugs, what you like, what you don't like, areas we should expand on or improve and what you think we need to add. Go forth and test!

___
Questions? Please be sure to read this notes:

Note 1: All upgrades and expansions are free at the moment. This is only a test. There will be a housing reset before it is fully launched.

Note 2: If you missed preview release 1, read about it first!

Note 3: You can't move or delete gardens, rocks, etc., after placing them in cultivation mode. But, you will be able to do in the future.

Note 4: Are you missing some items? No, you are not. They are still there. In some cases, if things were placed near the edge of your yard or home street, you might have to expand a few times to reveal them.

Note 5: We are still testing and this is not the final release. There is more to come.

Note 6: Expansions to your land (yard or home street) happen one at a time. This may seem annoying/cumbersome/slow, but: you are testing as a higher level player when it is all free. If you were earning your way to a larger space over time, it would not seem thus because you wouldn't be doing them all at once.

Note 7: Can't find the upgrade (home-shaped) sign in by the back and front doors of your house. You probably have stuff on top of it. Pick that stuff up :)

Posted 12 years ago by Bees! Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 16
  • ☠ Nuh' Squeezing &  Gadzooks: i removed your hidden patches
  • Gaalen: i guess we took that choice away. will check

"Lost my street collectors, feeders, and sticks in the migration." - expand your street and i bet it'll re-eapper

"The front door is visually smaller than my Glitch." - duck!

"Will that little yard sign eventually go away?" - yes, that's just temporary
  • Thanks!
    Posted 12 years ago by I Love You TS Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Miachia: you just can't load the client at all? please hit the 'bug' icon when it hangs and submit a bug
  • Expanded yard. The pig stick came back, but the 5 collectors and 3 feeders were further to the right than the pig stick. Those didnt return.

I ducked. :P Thanks Bees!
    Posted 12 years ago by Dagnabbit Rabbit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sign behind my herb patch is obscured by the raised planter bed. (sorry if this was already reported).

Can I pleeease have the gorgeous starry night wallpaper available for my floor and ceiling as well? I wants spaciness all around me!!! :-)

TS. Devs. Rock.
    Posted 12 years ago by Koftun Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd like to ask how long (approximately) it will be before the next housing reset.  I don't want to go "hog" wild with trees and plots, only to lose planted items in a week.

Ah, and I do love what I have seen of the updates (darned work!) ;)  As Stoot promised, "pretty f-ing awesome!"
    Posted 12 years ago by Genkimama Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had the same counter, and it reverted to the default.  I was able to change it back to the blue and white one.
    Posted 12 years ago by Shallawalla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Sign behind my herb patch is obscured by the raised planter bed" - this is odd, i'll look into it

Dagnabbit Rabbit: hmm, i'll work on a fix for items-hidden-off-the-edge
  • Can we PLEASE have more notice before our gardens are taken away. 1 RL day would've been nice warning.
    Posted 12 years ago by Number 9 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Number 9: no. it's a test. it says so everywhere. you opted in to it. quit whining
  • Bees! : nvm. I think my backyard hadnt migrated yet for some reason. it was the original planter beds. both gone now and I have my cultivate sign.
    Posted 12 years ago by Koftun Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I cannot figure out how to expand my backyard.

Can someone please explain how to expand the back yard?  Thanks!
    Posted 12 years ago by Miss Bobbit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Moon street / yard should have Toxic Moon physics. :-)
    Posted 12 years ago by San Serif Subscriber! | Permalink
  • HOLY FRICKIN' YES!!!!
    *Logging in*
    Posted 12 years ago by RJStormRider Subscriber! | Permalink
  • San Serif: I KNOW, RIGHT???

Miss Bobbit: click on the little sign just outside your back door
  • Thank you Bees!! *lick* Mmmm. You're yummy! :P
    Posted 12 years ago by Dagnabbit Rabbit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mwahahahahaha so many herb plots!
    Posted 12 years ago by MarbhDamhsa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Asthetic:  Choosing dark background for my yard makes the interior of my home look faded/washed out.
    Posted 12 years ago by Vicereine Linnæa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wonderful work!
    I have only question: Is or will be there a way to reverse a house expansion?
    Posted 12 years ago by Hackepeter Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ((serves drink of choice to Bees))

Off to play!!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Pirate Apples Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks, I love all you have done. Took me a while to realise that my yard sign was behind my fuelmaker. The only thing, is there away to take out the herb and veg signs, so that I can put them by my new beds.
    Posted 12 years ago by Miss Melody Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So everything that was once included in the original home plots, we now have to pay for them.

Too bad there is no option to opt out.
    Posted 12 years ago by KerryAnn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • no. it's a test. it says so everywhere. you opted in to it. quit whining

Bees, send me the address that  I can send your flowers to...   <3 
    Posted 12 years ago by WalruZ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love love love being able to jump up onto the floating island in the Wistful Tangle backyard! Hooray! 

Edited to add:

Oh oh oh! And I just figured out I can climb some of the trees in the other ones, too! 
    Posted 12 years ago by Sirentist Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Miss Melody: If you change street styles and then switch back to the one that had the herb and veg signs, they should be gone now.  However, you won't be able to place them by the new beds.  They are a remnant from the past :)
    Posted 12 years ago by jdawg Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @WalruZ

I am aware this area is a TEST.

But look on your TEST items, all of them.  They all have PRICE TAGS.  Which means after the TEST is over, you, I and everyone else will now have to pay for their patches, gardens etc.  This was included with the original homes gratis after the currants were paid.

Its very grabby and in poor taste.
  • KerryAnn - We had to PAY FOR the houses before. These we get for *FREE*. Did you really expect to get everything we had to pay currants for in the old houses for *nothing*? 
    Posted 12 years ago by Kiachan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "will be there a way to reverse a house expansion?" - maybe

"So everything that was once included in the original home plots, we now have to pay for them." - you had to pay for the old houses... you crazy
  • @Bees

No, not in real money/CREDITS only in currants.

The prices for everything you see in the new houses are for CREDITS (real money).
  • KerryAnn: nope. only certain furniture/wallpaper styles cost credits (and there are many free options). gardens, etc, do not cost credits. they cost yet-to-be-introduced imagination (which you earn in-game)
  • As Linnaea mentioned above, the ambient lighting from the various backyard street options is a little overpowering. I'd love to have the option of keeping my white stucco walls white, even if I want my backyard to be bright purple. Which I DO.
    Posted 12 years ago by Sirentist Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @ Bees

That still doesn't change the fact that what was once included in the old housing, players have to jump through hoops to get now.  Its ridiculous and grindy.
  • Where are there hoops?
  • @Kiachan

I expected to receive the equivalent of what I paid for in game money already, the top of the line house for 50k.

But with this "update" I'm thrown back into a basic starter house, and I have grind for everything I once had with my original purchase.
  • KerryAnn - I tend to think of it as personalized and exciting! 

Are you coming back to Glitch after being away for a while? Because a lot has happened over the last few months....
    Posted 12 years ago by Knitomaton Subscriber! | Permalink
  • KerryAnn, I am sure you will come to love the changes in time. Just sure of it.
    Posted 12 years ago by eric Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @KerryAnn What part of "test" is unclear? You will be compensated in Imagination and Currants to an appropriate degree when the switch takes place. You will not start from scratch.
    Posted 12 years ago by Pascale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Knitomaton

Yes, I left the game for a few months.  I returned recently to see the changes.  Only to find out what I had before will be taken away.
  • Bees I love you, you all are doing great work.  :)

Now if only I could get my Flash to stop crashing... :<
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd like to suggest making it WAAAAAAY more clear in the Cultivating mode that once you place something, it's STUCK there until you wear it down/use it up/complete its lifespan.  I was just fooling around and am now stuck with an arrangement that isn't ideal or really desired.  It would have been nice to be warned to think twice, act once.  
    Posted 12 years ago by Eleanor Rigby Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @KerryAnn

You've clearly been gone longer than a few months; this was being talked about alllll the way back in October with the great unlaunching
  • I have found a slight issue with trying to place shelves or counters side by side. They leave a triangular gap due to perspective. see it here  Nothing can be placed there, it just falls to the floor.

You guys are doing such an awesome job, despite all the whining you get. Thank you, TS!
    Posted 12 years ago by glassy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ooo, buggerific. I tried to move the chicken stick on my home street and it vanished. Not in inventory, just gonzo.

UPDATE: a reload return it.

SECOND UPDATE: But now "an invisible gremlin" is keeping me from putting it where it oughta be.
    Posted 12 years ago by Pascale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "But with this "update" I'm thrown back into a basic starter house, and I have grind for everything I once had with my original purchase."

you still have your old house. and when we take that away with the actual switch-over you'll get refunded. your current level/xp will be converted into imagination you can use to expand your house and cultivate your yard. if you did enough grinding to get a basic house already, you'll be able to get similar resources right away. and they're all free now during this test. /shrug
  • I almost feel bad reporting such a small problem in the middle of the Kerry Ann Show.
    Posted 12 years ago by glassy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • glassy: try overlapping them more!

"I tried to move the chicken stick on my home street and it vanished" - woah!
  • I wish I could disembiggen my test house. I made it the size of a football stadium just to see how big it could get and now I feel like Miss Haversham rattling around in there. 

It would be nice if there was a deconstruct option. Like unlearning. I also can't sort out whether I can swap resources once they're installed

Also, are our front yards still public? I don't want to plant herbs and have someone come along and take all of them, and the back yard still seems noncustomizable. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Aviatrix Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I apologize if this has been asked, but will backgrounds end up costing anything? I know some are subscriber locked, but I don't see any prices.
    Posted 12 years ago by bored no more Subscriber! | Permalink
  • KerryAnn - Ah, that makes more sense. Other people had negative feelings when they first heard that there were going to be changes to housing, too. Over the course of months, we learned more about what Tiny Speck has planned, and over the last few weeks we have been able to test just one part of the upcoming changes.

I highly recommend you giving the following threads a read:

an unofficial summary of TS staff responses
    the thread about the first wave of housing changes

I am super pumped about the changes, but I've also been able to experience the first part of the test and read a lof of the questions and answers that have already happened. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Knitomaton Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 16