Topic

Staff Topic

R2: Preview of even more house features

It's that's time again - Release 2 of houses is upon us!

It will take a while to roll out the changes to everyone - you can leave your house and then type "/home" to be immediately migrated

To see the new features, reload your game client and visit your house (by typing "/home" in chat). The first thing you'll see is that there are no trees or rocks outside your house any more. But worry not - you can add some yourself with "cultivation". Click on the small sign next to your house to get a menu of options. Once you've mastered cultivation, you can try expanding your street and then changing your house exterior. You can also change the style of your home street. Sick of Groddle? Move to Uralia, Firebog or even THE MOON.

That's awesome, right? Wrong! There's more awesome stuff inside. Head to your backyard to switch styles, cultivate the land or expand your yard. Want to make your house interior bigger? Ok! When in decoration mode, click the buttons in the top bar to extend your house or add new floors.

There are a lot of moving parts in this release - we want to hear about bugs, what you like, what you don't like, areas we should expand on or improve and what you think we need to add. Go forth and test!

___
Questions? Please be sure to read this notes:

Note 1: All upgrades and expansions are free at the moment. This is only a test. There will be a housing reset before it is fully launched.

Note 2: If you missed preview release 1, read about it first!

Note 3: You can't move or delete gardens, rocks, etc., after placing them in cultivation mode. But, you will be able to do in the future.

Note 4: Are you missing some items? No, you are not. They are still there. In some cases, if things were placed near the edge of your yard or home street, you might have to expand a few times to reveal them.

Note 5: We are still testing and this is not the final release. There is more to come.

Note 6: Expansions to your land (yard or home street) happen one at a time. This may seem annoying/cumbersome/slow, but: you are testing as a higher level player when it is all free. If you were earning your way to a larger space over time, it would not seem thus because you wouldn't be doing them all at once.

Note 7: Can't find the upgrade (home-shaped) sign in by the back and front doors of your house. You probably have stuff on top of it. Pick that stuff up :)

Posted 12 years ago by Bees! Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 16
  • Wow, there's always a KerryAnn in the bunch. :)

This has been an awesome time in the game.
    Posted 12 years ago by Tibbi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • still can't cultivate my back yard.  I did fully expand my front yard and the house but as yet no sign has appeared in my back yard by the door or anywhere else? can anyone help or is the roll-out still happening?
    Posted 12 years ago by ~Arabesque~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Don't know if you saw my UPDATE, Bees! 

The stick returned on reload, but now I can't place it anywhere on the right side of my street.
    Posted 12 years ago by Pascale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I tried to reposition my pig stick in my front yard since it was when a corner when R2 kicked in and it told me that there's an invisible goblin there- I assume that means I ran out of space and it's not a bug? It let me after I expanded my front yard but I'm not sure if that's supposed to happen since we were able to just stick them anywhere before!

Also this update is awesome!!!!!!!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Morena Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Did someone already mention the door to the expanded floor doesnt have an option to "change" the design of it like we have on the lower elevator door? Also, can we have an option to change the interior of our front door ? 

Also, railings were a fun part of the Alakol mansions during parties. The conga line is gonna hit a wall in my new home. Might railings be a wall type option in the new expansion floors at some point? My head hurts from banging on this new wall.... Oweee!
    Posted 12 years ago by Dagnabbit Rabbit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • how do you delete an item in yard you pick in cultivation like the jellico lump house??
    Posted 12 years ago by Jellybelly Baby Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "I wish I could disembiggen my test house." - noted!

"Also, are our front yards still public?" - yes

"but will backgrounds end up costing anything? I know some are subscriber locked, but I don't see any prices." - they will cost imagination to switch

Arabesque: try leaving your home and doing /home again

"Did someone already mention the door to the expanded floor doesnt have an option to "change" the design of it like we have on the lower elevator door?" - go into "decorate" mode and then click on it

"Might railings be a wall type option in the new expansion floors at some point?" - maybe!
  • DR, I have the option to change my top floor door...and was just going to post...OMG, changing the 'elevator' doors is awesome...(though I'd still enjoy the ropes and trees for future updates ;)...)
    Posted 12 years ago by b3achy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "How do you delete an item in yard you pick in cultivation like the jellico lump house??" - right now your have to wear it out by using it. we'll be adding a way to delete it and then later a way to move it
  • Ty very much
    Posted 12 years ago by Jellybelly Baby Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I, too, turned my home into a giant bowling alley just because I could. It takes me about thirty seconds to walk from one end to the other, ha! Now I'm thinking ... it would be useful to have a second stairway back down to the first floor. Also, that would make the second floor conform to fire codes.
    Posted 12 years ago by Sirentist Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Do I get that right, that changing the outside of the house does NOT change the inside of the house?

There was a certain feel to those old bog houses, and I don't seem to be able to replicate that with the new house. Most of the time, it still looks like a groddle cottage with different interior design.

Anybody else having that thought?
    Posted 12 years ago by Louis Louisson Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Also, that would make the second floor conform to fire codes." - rofl - important point!
  • jk i think it got fixed... :D 
    Posted 12 years ago by Morena Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Do I get that right, that changing the outside of the house does NOT change the inside of the house?" - currently true

"Most of the time, it still looks like a groddle cottage with different interior design." - we have some different interiors planned too :)
  • Oh! Will there be basements in the future?
    Posted 12 years ago by MarbhDamhsa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Will there be basements in the future?" - maybe, sort of
  • Thanks Bees, appreciate your answer. Good to hear.

I sit tight and wait. :)

Have you thought of offering "full package" solutions to people who might be too lazy or too overwhelmed with all those different tiny little options to do everything by hand? Like... "bog house", click, and you have the right walls, ceilings, floor, maybe a few tables, and can then start to add a few ideas on your own?
    Posted 12 years ago by Louis Louisson Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Have you thought of offering "full package" solutions to people who might be too lazy or too overwhelmed with all those different tiny little options to do everything by hand?"

They can just hire someone on Task Rabbit to play for them ;)
  • RofLoL!! Good ideas Bees.
    Posted 12 years ago by MeherMan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • actual glitch interior designers, lol
    Posted 12 years ago by IxÆoN Subscriber! | Permalink
  • AAAAAhhhhh.  I had one of my icons sitting right were the house post in the backyard of my test house is and it when poof!  I put in a help ticket, but I am wondering if anyone else had a similar problem?
    Posted 12 years ago by Megaera Blackthorn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ok, this update is beyond awesome! Loving it - thanks TS :)

A couple more questions:

1. Storage - I know with the new housing it will be possible to have a lot more stuff out and about on furniture / shelves etc. However, if in the beginning we don't have the space for lots of furniture or we want glitches round without worrying about stuff being picked up we need to be able to put it away. As it is not possible to put bags or multiple types of items in the new storage units we'd have to buy an awful lot of storage units to match the mixed storage capacity of existing cupboards (I have a 32 slot full of bags). Also if you are a cupboard type person, it's a bit frustrating trying to configure a cupboard from the storage units. I guess I could use the attic like a cupboard but will others be able to pick stuff up from it?

2. I love the bog houses but currently have an Alakol home as I do a lot of veg gardening. I was looking forward to being able to have both. Will there be styles/furniture available to make a bog style interior? Like different room shapes, ladders, holes in the floor, lizard decorations etc?

[Edit @LouisLouission - yes, you posted while I was writing!]

Thanks!
    Posted 12 years ago by geekybird Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Will there be styles/furniture available to make a bog style interior?" - probably, yes
  • Well, don't know if someone had been speaking about this here but it could be easier to expand the street if we could select how many times to expand (right or left).
    I hope to see in the future my current Salatu/Alakol type house.
    For now this is great! Ty TS!
    Posted 12 years ago by Kul Koba Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yay, thanks TS!! Can't wait to get in and try it all out! (aah, all I can think is EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE)
    Posted 12 years ago by Fernstream Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Well, don't know if someone had been speaking about this here"

It has been spoken about a lot. It will not be an issue in reality, because when we are not testing you will be expanding 1 section at a time. It will be "expensive".
    Posted 12 years ago by eric Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I see! :P Hope not very very very "expensive" then! hehehe
    Posted 12 years ago by Kul Koba Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm particularly enjoying finding all the front- and back-yard things it's possible to climb up on. Lovely extra touches!
    Posted 12 years ago by Sirentist Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ummm sooooo ... I .. can't seem to figure out how I get "Wall Segment"s.. ~O.o~  Ummm... I thought that the expansions in this release would still be "free" so to speak, so we could test everything out.. but how do I test something if I don't have the thing available for me with which to test??

Ooop just found what seems to be a bug.. I'm at home, not decorating, but can't Craft with my Tinkertool - it tells me "No making while decorating."  >_>
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This! Is! AWESOME!!

TY!! So much fun!!
    Posted 12 years ago by sgjo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The popup "welcome" box when entering /home still says "you can't expand your testing house or cultivate your yard." May want to update that, because we can and its amazing! thanks again!
    Posted 12 years ago by Fernstream Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "I .. can't seem to figure out how I get "Wall Segment"s" - you don't need any - just press the expand button when in decorate mode and then click to expand
  • Fernstream: good point!
  • Is the switch to imagination scheduled for a week or so? Or will it change depending on bugs?
    Posted 12 years ago by Pickle Bob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Pickle Bob: scheduled for.... the future!
  • I'd just like to put in a vote for balconies and windows. I'd love to be able to overlook my garden from a balcony, or have a window view out to my street (or some other selected part of Ur).

The end walls in particular would benefit from this as we currently cannot decorate them at all.
  • The switch to imagination will occur when it's ready to be released.  No one has given a timeline.
    Posted 12 years ago by WindBorn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lol thanks :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Pickle Bob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I thought we was still going to be able to do rooftop gardens? Is that still planned or was that idea dropped?
    Posted 12 years ago by Disturbed Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I thought Bees! had said we could change the look of our inside front door by changing to Decorate mode. 

That doesn't work for me.
  • Oooo very cool, thankies.  :>

Also it would be AWESOME if we had some interior windows.. just seconding (thirding?) that idea... :>
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "I thought Bees! had said we could change the look of our inside front door by changing to Decorate mode." - oh, that door! nope, sorry. not yet

"Also it would be AWESOME if we had some interior windows" - one day!
  • Basic blue dining table has become elongated (ginormous and ugh).

Where did the rest of the counter styles go? Will they return? 

Love exterior styles, options and backgrounds. :) Ty TS!
    Posted 12 years ago by Piper Halliwell Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Where did the rest of the counter styles go? Will they return?" - yes! probably!
  • I can jump up on the main roof portions of my new house's exterior, but not onto the balcony, the balcony's tile roof, or the house turret.

DARN. I bet the view from way up there is fantastic, and it would be great to watch the sunset with a special someone from the balcony.
  • When will it be fully launched?
    Posted 12 years ago by Jynx101 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Can i keep my current home?
    Posted 12 years ago by WhereIsTheCandy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Major problem!!! I don't think I'll ever leave my house again. LOL
    Posted 12 years ago by axton Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I loving everything that I have seen so far, especially the ability to change the roofs, sides of our houses!  I just have a question though about the backgrounds. From my understanding, backgrounds are purchasable using imagination rather than with credits, so I am a little confused as to why some backgrounds require a player to have subscription?   Or are backgrounds indeed to be purchased by credits or both credits and imagination?
    Posted 12 years ago by Oristia Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 16