Topic

Staff Topic

Trendy Thursday - Houses Release 3 (for reals)

Saturday Update: For players who came into the game since the release and found the moving boxes missing, please check out this separate topic.

---------

Release 3 of the new housing system is now ready, with the final reset of houses.

Do not be alarmed! Only houses have been reset.

Now that the reset is complete, your house has been reset to the starter size, with no cultivated items and no furniture. Any upgraded furniture you had in your house or your furniture bag has been removed. You've be given a small set of starter furniture in its place.

When you enter your new house after the reset, any items that you had in your old house or your testing house will have been moved into your new residence. Just unpack your moving boxes to get started. Your new house contains multiple boxes for your old house, your test-house home street, test-house backyard and each floor of your test-house.

So that's what the reset entails, but what's changed? Well...

Furniture can now be crafted by players. Get building!

Your new houses will now have their own web page, linked from your profile. You'll be able to easily visit other people's home streets from there (as well as from their "info pane" in the game client).

Once you've chosen/purchased a furniture upgrade, that choice is 'sticky'. If you upgrade a chair to style A, then switch it to style B, you'll later be able to switch back to style A at no cost. The same applies to your house chassis.

The initial furniture we give you is soul-bound. This means you can't give it away to other players. Other items may gain this property in the future.

Furniture can now be traded - either by using the 'give' verb, dragging it to another player or using the player-to-player trading system. You'll get an extra warning when you try to trade upgraded furniture. Auctions for furniture will be added in the near future.

Furniture should no longer drop through the floor when you're placing it on your 2nd floor. Or your 3rd - houses can now be 3 floors tall.

All street styles now have music.

Furniture items all have their own web pages, as do the upgrades. You can browse and bookmark your perfect setup while you're waiting for the reset.

The furniture bag is now sorted, to make finding your furniture easier. And it'll now be accessible anywhere in the world, to allow your to trade your items.

The old houses are fading away. Visit the abandoned apartment blocks to reminisce.

The housing FAQ has been updated to answer some of your questions. The player Scarf was also kind enough to compile this huge list of questions & answers from the previous R3 thread.

Take a look around, kick the tires and lets us know what you think.

Posted 12 years ago by Bees! Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• If I buy a street style for 450i, will subsequent street styles also only cost 450i or do they become more expensive? I wouldn't mind shelling out for multiple if they'll all be that inexpensive, but I am wary of making a choice and purchasing if the prices will scale up like adding resources makes the resource prices go up.

If the prices are going to increase, any way we could get pages for the street styles like there are pages for the furniture upgrades?
    Posted 12 years ago by Knitomaton Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Is there any solution for those of us who have a zillion things on the floor?  I unpacked my box for the floor that had my SDBs in it, so I have tens of thousands of planks, hundreds of blocks, scores of stacks of ore, hundreds of game show tickets, etc. carpeting my floor.  The lag is so bad that the items I need (e.g., my elements bag) don't always load, so it's not very playable inside my house.  If there is a way to scoop up all the items of one type off the floor into an SDB, I would really appreciate it!  
    Posted 12 years ago by Vastra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks Millie!
    Posted 12 years ago by Xoria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "go back to my house, I get another wall segment in my bag" - fixed now

"Once we've spent iMG on a street style, can we switch back to it for free if we change up later? Or do we have to pay again to revert to a style we used before?" - pay again. the cost is to switch, not for the specific style. the cost does not go up, however.

"Is there any solution for those of us who have a zillion things on the floor?" - not currently. some of you have SO MANY ITEMS. wow
  • Thank you, Bees! I thought that might be the case.

Man I can't wait for the work day to be over so I can play with ALL THE NEW FEATURES.
    Posted 12 years ago by Tathak Subscriber! | Permalink
  • moving is so messy. :/
    Posted 12 years ago by nekomaki Subscriber! | Permalink
  • but thanks for all those changes.:)
    Posted 12 years ago by nekomaki Subscriber! | Permalink
  • LOL at opening the moving box and stuff exploding all over the floor.  So totally like my last move IRL  :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Rowan Croft Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't have my moving boxes :(
    Posted 12 years ago by Lila Clemenceau Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If you click on the elemental pouch, you open or close it; there's no way to shake it anymore. 

I had no moving boxes; now I have two boxes containing the stuff from the first floor of my test house, one from the second floor of the test house, and nothing at all from my old house, where most of my stuff was.
    Posted 12 years ago by glum pudding Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Just a note of caution to all you hoarders?
    I'd go ahead and get NEW materials to make your SDBs before you do ANYTHING else.
    True story; opened up ONE moving box, and, yeah, now I cannot find my floor.
    I have 8 more to open.
    I regret opening the first one.
    Posted 12 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • LOL, just "unpacked" my first box.. more like... released a tornado in my house.. BUT I LOVE IT. I love to organise things.... hog heaven.. hog heaven
    Posted 12 years ago by Soymocha Subscriber! | Permalink
  • :DDDDDD
    Posted 12 years ago by AwesomeCardinal2000 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Please can we have a preview of which music plays with which street / yard? There's one that personally drives me nuts, and I've tried 3 (free) backgrounds so far, spending img as I go, and they've all had the same music... Or - eek - do the free ones all have the same music??
    Posted 12 years ago by bergamot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm dying... 
    I open my first box and now i must put thousands of hooches in my only SDB, take an infinite time and with a magic trackpad (first time i regret to not have a mouse on my mac). I don't know with box contain what then i can't get my machine and all my metals/wood to make more furnitures and expand my house.
    Well, back to work i suppose.
    Posted 12 years ago by Ouaf Lechien Subscriber! | Permalink
  • How do I make a wall segment? Or am I ahead of myself or missed someone else ask this lol
    Posted 12 years ago by Queen Zipporah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd wait on changing street styles until they come up with some pages about them; otherwise, you're wasting imagination on each change.
  • Make wall segments, doors, etc. with the construction tool, now available at hardware vendors.
  • Not sure if someone else mentioned this, but I noticed some of my moving boxes also had information on which floor they belonged on. That helped me with unpacking.

TS, the changes are awesome! I feel like such a DIY Glitchen right now!
    Posted 12 years ago by Shadowstrike Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lost a few bags full of stuff and a woodworking machine that was in the yard...
    Posted 12 years ago by DUG1138 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You know I saw that after i posted. lol ty!
    Posted 12 years ago by Queen Zipporah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • btw, in between the (constructive) comments, I need to say:

THANKS TS, Staff, Devs, Guides, all those being bombarded with qs in Live Help, and all those helping the helpers to help us helpless glitchen :D 
  • My signpost for this 'toon was empty. Other alts it was not.
    Posted 12 years ago by Sturminator 5 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There IS a way to shake the elemental pouch now: you have to click on the dot below the bag to get the old menu to come up.
  • To add a floor, in addition to the inventory-able items, it says "10 work units with a Construction Tool". Does this mean that in order to add a floor, you are required to learn Furnituremaking I?
    Posted 12 years ago by Sturminator i` Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Unpacked my boxes and my chicken eggs are not there! I had 5 or 6 chickens and now i have 1. :( pretty sure i am missing alot of misc. junk from my floor, could i have missed a box? I left and returned. no box.
    Posted 12 years ago by Archoo Gesoonhigh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You *might* want to warn folks that opening the boxes may slow their computer down or crash it, if it's an older machine. Just sayin'.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lady Cailia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So did we loose the trees we had grown in the old houses?
    Posted 12 years ago by Keliose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Keliose: "Did we loose the trees" -- Yes. You'll need to cultivate a new patch & plant a new bean(s)
  • I thought it was stated in yesterday's thread that the Model Homes would stick around for a little bit, I'm missing one of them on my location list and only noticed yesterday while the game was down. Now it's not there.
    Posted 12 years ago by beBlueberry Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well, just discovered that to make SDBs you need Furniture Making II... I'll be back in 18 days then I guess, when I finish learning and can make some - and get over the lag my hoarding has now created!
  • Check the auctions for sdb later. They will probably be lots for sale soon.
    Posted 12 years ago by Tibbi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Model Homes would stick around for a little bit" - i was wrong about that, sorry!

"Does this mean that in order to add a floor, you are required to learn Furnituremaking I?" - I don't think so; you just need the tool
  • That's weird - I went to buy the tool and the description from the hardware vendor said I needed Furnituremaking I to use it.

On the bright side, being unable to make ALL THE FURNITURE means that I've completely unpacked all my boxes, and have the urge to make myself some kind of badge for having everything tidied, if not *away*, at least onto tables/cabinets/shelves and usually in clearly labelled Bigger Bags. I've never been so efficient in real life.
    Posted 12 years ago by Batsgirl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Is there still a bug when you drag items from the floor to the SDB that can cause you to lose items? 'Cause it seems like that might help make the cleanup from moving easier if we could drag from the floor.

Can you share with us any details about how bad the hoarding was? Who were the biggest hoarders? If you can't tell us who, can you tell us how many items they had or how many moving boxes they had?
    Posted 12 years ago by Knitomaton Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Is there still a bug when you drag items from the floor to the SDB that can cause you to lose items" - nope, that's been fixed
  • If any of you did not receive your SDBs, we'll get them to you. Just might take a bit. Thanks for your patience!
    Posted 12 years ago by Herp Derp Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Can you share with us any details about how bad the hoarding was?" - i don't know. myles might know
  • i didnt get the SDBs
    Posted 12 years ago by Sir Rachel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I got into my house once, but now I can't. :( Will you post when the doors that don't work is fixed? I read in an above message that it's being looked into, but I don't want to have to keep popping in and out to check. (Yes, I admit, I've tried multiple times. call me obsessive...;) )
    Posted 12 years ago by RawBean Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Should SDBs let us deposit items from the floor en masse again, or was that feature permanently disabled?  I'm not really loving dragging each item or stack into a box one at a time.
  • There used to be an option for the SDB to pick up items off the floor AND from your inventory into the SDB. This has to be re-enabled for those big time hoarders, please? Call it Vacuum, or Hoard.
    Posted 12 years ago by LųĉĩđεşşΨ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Okay, I've tried to go along with this and keep and open mind, but... here's my "rant."

I'm done.

I don't see a help topic on how you delete yourself from Glitch, so I'll just leave. Had a house (that I invested way too much time earning and setting up), that I liked. Forcibly moved to little hut. Told I could expand it, make it as good or better than old house. Invested time doing what I could with it. Liked some things (water fountain!), but... all that time I spent, planting trees, tending animals... gone. Still, I tried. Then I was forcibly moved AGAIN, back to a tiny hut. Told I could expand it (with more time, more effort, all to get back to get back to where I was). Too much time, too much effort, just to futz around with a hut. LTS (Life's Too Short). I'm not playing the game, I'm just doing housework, then doing it AGAIN when I'm moved, willy-nilly, back to start. If I wanted to spend my free time doing housework, I'd do it in the real world. So it's been fun, sometimes. More fun before, less and less lately. It's becoming a chore, and I have no reason to believe that in a few months I won't be packed off again to spend hours doing it all over. I feel like a hamster on a wheel that someone else controls. The only choice available to me is to run on the wheel or get off. Thanks for the times when it used to be fun.
    Posted 12 years ago by P Culiar Subscriber! | Permalink
  • See, people?  This is an appropriate time to use the phrase, "This is a beta test."  Right?
    Posted 12 years ago by Carl Projectorinski Subscriber! | Permalink
  • not sure if this is mentioned elsewhere, but i have managed to tidy everything away.. except the faded heart. i can't do anything with it. thanks
    Posted 12 years ago by Lady Snow Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @ P Culiar
    It's still in beta? It's just a game, do what you enjoy? Or should I just say goodbye? What is the meaning of spending time to you? C'mon man..
    Posted 12 years ago by LųĉĩđεşşΨ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • P Culiar, you can ask staff to delete your account through a help ticket
    ETA: There's a delete button under Account, apparently!

I'm sorry that you're leaving. I think the staff of TS have been pretty good about telling us what is going to happen, though. (And they have told us that our characters won't be reset again.) 

Remember that we are in Beta, which means testing, change, impermanence, and bugs galore. Perhaps try again when Glitch has launched? :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Millie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Carl Projectorinski - you're talking to someone who uses an abbreviation for "life's too short" and then takes the time to type out in full what the abbreviation he's just used stands for, in a sentence where the part contained within the parentheses is more than five times the length of the part outside them. Logic is not going to fly here.
    Posted 12 years ago by Batsgirl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Erm.

P Culiar: They told us that the we would be testing the houses and we would have to be reset once that testing was done, along with the old houses being taken away. None of it has been a secret. This was the last housing reset/move. We won't be doing it again.

Also, I think you can go to Account and there's a delete link.
    Posted 12 years ago by Little Miss Giggles Subscriber! | Permalink
  • More than "this is beta", stoot explicitly stated "just have fun".

I thinking finding bugs is fun, but that's just me.

And the Delete Account link is on the bottom of your Account page (Sturminator i {the first}, hit level 6, & had to be punished accordingly)