Topic

Staff Topic

Trendy Thursday - Houses Release 3 (for reals)

Saturday Update: For players who came into the game since the release and found the moving boxes missing, please check out this separate topic.

---------

Release 3 of the new housing system is now ready, with the final reset of houses.

Do not be alarmed! Only houses have been reset.

Now that the reset is complete, your house has been reset to the starter size, with no cultivated items and no furniture. Any upgraded furniture you had in your house or your furniture bag has been removed. You've be given a small set of starter furniture in its place.

When you enter your new house after the reset, any items that you had in your old house or your testing house will have been moved into your new residence. Just unpack your moving boxes to get started. Your new house contains multiple boxes for your old house, your test-house home street, test-house backyard and each floor of your test-house.

So that's what the reset entails, but what's changed? Well...

Furniture can now be crafted by players. Get building!

Your new houses will now have their own web page, linked from your profile. You'll be able to easily visit other people's home streets from there (as well as from their "info pane" in the game client).

Once you've chosen/purchased a furniture upgrade, that choice is 'sticky'. If you upgrade a chair to style A, then switch it to style B, you'll later be able to switch back to style A at no cost. The same applies to your house chassis.

The initial furniture we give you is soul-bound. This means you can't give it away to other players. Other items may gain this property in the future.

Furniture can now be traded - either by using the 'give' verb, dragging it to another player or using the player-to-player trading system. You'll get an extra warning when you try to trade upgraded furniture. Auctions for furniture will be added in the near future.

Furniture should no longer drop through the floor when you're placing it on your 2nd floor. Or your 3rd - houses can now be 3 floors tall.

All street styles now have music.

Furniture items all have their own web pages, as do the upgrades. You can browse and bookmark your perfect setup while you're waiting for the reset.

The furniture bag is now sorted, to make finding your furniture easier. And it'll now be accessible anywhere in the world, to allow your to trade your items.

The old houses are fading away. Visit the abandoned apartment blocks to reminisce.

The housing FAQ has been updated to answer some of your questions. The player Scarf was also kind enough to compile this huge list of questions & answers from the previous R3 thread.

Take a look around, kick the tires and lets us know what you think.

Posted 12 years ago by Bees! Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I spent way more of my afternoon than I meant to getting my house "just right."  Love it.  One suggestion I have is once we pay credits for a special style of furniture, ie small cabinet, we can use that style on multiple small cabinets rather than having to buy it each time. I know you guys need to make money too, but it'd be nice since so many of the more unique styles require credits.
    Posted 12 years ago by Larva Lover Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sorry if this has been answered already, I didn't see it in the FAQ or list of answers. Can someone tell me what is supposed to be included in the starter set of furniture. I heard mention of SDB's, specifically, how many were included. Thanks.
    Posted 12 years ago by Gizmospooky Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @ Aeralis  You should be able to move the door in Decorate mode.  I moved mine.
    Posted 12 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So, I have spent all day unpacking/storing the stuff from my pinatas. Only now to read that I could have put them in my inventory and used the items from there,  but that's okay I picked it all up and hoarded it in the first place ;)

What has upset me is when I go to dress up my backyard and street. I can't preview the backgrounds before I spend iMG on them, nor can I even buy 2 or 3 to check out which ones I like. Being as we have some new ones not previously available this seems unrealistic. Sure I can wait and see what other people put in their streets, but not much help with the back yards. 

I really hope you rethink this and allow a preview, or allow us to keep the ones we have paid for, please :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Teena Subscriber! | Permalink
  • sorry double post
    Posted 12 years ago by Teena Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The houses are working very well so far, and the moving boxes were a nice touch!  =)

I realize that houses just came out and things may be different later, but there is something that could probably be a little better.  I just Upgraded the look of my furniture from the basic wood-and-nails, and because I'm broke in real life my House now looks like a Goodwill.  After we put in the days necessary to learn the skills for crafting furniture, and we spend the game-hours needed to collect the resources, the result is that all we can craft without investing Earth money looks pretty much like second-hand items.  That's a bit disheartening.  Earth begins to intrude on Ur, and much of the escapism, the respite from Earth, and the wonder of Ur is lost as a result.

I can think of a few approaches that might make things a little better.  One would be the ability to upload images to create "new" furniture styles over the existing basic pieces of furniture.  Staff could approve them (to keep with the Glitch visual theme, and for degriefing) and they could be put on the market for other Glitchens to buy - in-game content, contributed by the players.

Another would be the ability to pick one or two of the styles for free when advanced players level beyond a certain point.  Sort of as a thank-you for long-term dedication to the game.

Again, I realize that Houses are just coming out, and that the number of non-credit-based options may increase as the amount of styles as a whole does.  The fact that I already miss my old House style acutely (the swamp at dusk, with its beautiful mellow soundtrack) probably means that you all have made some very engaging game content, and pretty much means that you've succeeded very well in what you've set out to do.  I try to keep that in mind.  =)

All in all it's worked very well, and the concept of Housing certainly makes a nice addition to the game.

Be well,

- Satori
    Posted 12 years ago by Satori Tindalos Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm with Teena on the "preview or you own it when you buy it" for street backgrounds.
    Posted 12 years ago by Pascale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think this whole moving and unpacking was a conspiracy cooked up by the yoga mail frogs in an attempt to show us the evils of materialism.

Strike back against the frogs! Horde more!

Also, I'll have something to say about housing after I get under my piles of crap. Funny about using moving boxes is inventory is that some machines don't like some items. 
    Posted 12 years ago by M<3tra, obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Having finally finished sorting out most of the stuff in my house-- thank you so much, TS, for all the work you put into testing this and moving everything.  Being able to play in a customizable house that is "for keeps" feels very different from playing in a test house, and I'm enjoying it a whole lot more.  Thank you so, so much for all the work put into the art and the decorations and the backgrounds, and thank you for taking the time to make the move as painless as possible! :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Tryvalen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yesterday I unpacked my boxes,today I went into my house,no more boxes,you said we could keep them forever.
    Posted 12 years ago by Xeloalex Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Everything is wonderful.
    Posted 12 years ago by Otto Otto Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hoorah!
    Posted 12 years ago by Kayvee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Anyone having a problem with only their faded heart not being able to be picked up off the floor? OH and where are all my trophies?? :(  So far other than that this new house is awesome!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by GrnBeann Subscriber! | Permalink
  • me = subscribe / buy credits as soon as I have some money on paypal :) .
    Posted 12 years ago by rosedragon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • my trophies were in the Decorate inventory.. under trophies. I presume that is where everyone's went?
    Posted 12 years ago by Lady Snow Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Great update! Old houses were more... stylish, they had better integration of objects into environment, but new houses with all these customisations and craftable furniture are really cool!
    Also imho this system then you buy upgrades for every single item separately is ok, it is kinda more realistic. Good job TS! Thank you.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kiprian Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am having a wonderful time .. thank you TS !!!!  and I think I have learned my lesson and will be a little less of a hoarder :)

Just one question.. the same question that I have been asking since I began in beta.. will we ever see automatic sprinklers??  Please ???

Q
    Posted 12 years ago by Qizara Subscriber! | Permalink
  • When I go to the page for my house, it says "You have not chosen to share anything about your home yet."

How do we share things about our home?
    Posted 12 years ago by geekybird Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Help me, because I feel like I suddeny went blind. Do we still have smaller shelves? Or are they gone?
    Posted 12 years ago by Verea Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Duh, disregard. *feels stupid now*
    Posted 12 years ago by Verea Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes, it took me for a while to settle down every things but that was fun! :) and Thank you very much!:)
    Posted 12 years ago by Princess Of Pink Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thoughts so far--

Glitch is full of hoarders.
    The folks volunteering in Live Help are full of Awesomesauce.
    Some people got stuck with the splintery end of the dusty stick, with regards to items lost or not showing up at all, but I'm confident TS will sort it.

I'm not clear on how I choose to share information about my street/home; there's no obvious link or button to click on.

People pick their vistas based on all sorts of things, but music determines  some of it for me and with new styles offered in this release... and more to come ( someday) I hope, I'd really like to preview  before I commit.  Consider it  the 30 second music sample. A preview buff maybe?  I like the water. I chose what I thought was a Highland view backyard--- and was prepared for the Celtic music.  Nope. banjos.  I can handle the imagination cost,  I can always imagine myself some more, it's the procedure that irks me.  It's as if I went into a store and was told, you like the look of this sweater? Great!  Buy it. If it doesn't fit, you can buy another one.

Same with placing things in the back yard.  Although I can see how this one might be too complicated to be practical.  But if we really really hate where we put the herb garden, perhaps we  could get one free move. 

The house interiors. Are we always going to be stuck with these boxes?  No views? no curves?  No basements?   No balconies?   If so, that makes me sad.   All the pretty furniture in the world can't complete with standing on the balcony staring at the sea.

On the other hand..... mushroom furniture!

The designs are brilliant and beautiful and  I remain in awe of the talent on display.

xx
    Posted 12 years ago by caley dunn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • is there a list of which furniture we are given to begin with? i don't seem to have very much at all.. i had to ask for an sdb because i didn't get one, so now i'm just wondering if i'm missing anything else?

sorry if this has been asked before.
    Posted 12 years ago by onion Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @GrnBeann:
    Re: Faded Hearts- Nothing you can do about it at the moment, but we are aware and will work on a solution.Posted 12 hr ago by kevbob 
    Posted 12 years ago by Leelah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @onion here's the furniture I got:
    1 SDB
    1 Small cabinet
    1 Ceiling lamp
    1 Chair
    1 Floor lamp
    1 Room decoration
    2 Shelves
    1 Table
    1 Tabletop decoration
    1 Wall decoration
    Posted 12 years ago by Vic Fontaine Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Just want to say that I am really quite pleased with what I can do with my new place.  And, I really look forward to the point at which I can start selling/trading furniture, since I could definitely help my fellow Glitchen spruce (or oak or mahogony) up their new domiciles. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Grem Sketch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • thanks togger :)
    Posted 12 years ago by onion Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Delighted with all this release offers.  You guys really have outdone yourselves!  Thank you so so much.  I'm thrilled.  Great work.  Now, maybe you'll be able to get some rest, recreation and a little more of a regular life.
    Posted 12 years ago by AlmostSilver Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 AS! Totally agree with you!!
    This is awesome and so much fun!!

@ Devs - TY for all of the time, energy and dedication y'all put into this game!! It totally rocks and so do y'all!!
    Posted 12 years ago by sgjo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Curious about why it costs more credits to upgrade the small cabinets than the big cabinets.

The least expensive option for the small cabinet is 25 credits and the least expensive option for the big cabinet is 10 credits. That seems backwards to me. Maybe the small cabinets are upgraded locally by experienced artisan woodworkers and big cabinets are assembled by Folivorian sloths too metal-hungry to notice they are being underpaid and overworked?

(and I <3 the big firebog cabinet - now all i need is an option for a small firebog cabinet and I will be in Imagination heaven.)
    Posted 12 years ago by The Cat Face Subscriber! | Permalink
  • just thought i should mention that when someone issues you a key, it says your keyring is "down on the left." this isn't true anymore, so it should probably be changed. =)
    Posted 12 years ago by elekanahmen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well... so.. .I've got a SMALLish community garden set up now in my front yard so if anyone would like to add me as a friend and put me on their sign post you can use my community garden any time you like.  I've tried to make it as pretty and pleasant as possible.  The gardens grow by firefly light! ~ I'll have free items left out for ya'll too, just make sure you don't take my animals please.    :)

<3

I love that all the changes are permanent now and can't wait until we have more yard space available.  Aaaah so impatient.  X)

Also ... I'm working on a third floor so I have wallspace for the SDB's I want to put up.  :>  Right now the first and second floor are exactly how I pictured it.. so lovely.  :>  Thanks art team and devs.

Just one more thing... I can't get in-world this morning :( :(
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Teena is right. If we have to pay for a background every time we use it then we need a preview. 2 minutes would be plenty of time for a walkabout to check it all out. I'm not wasting a bunch of iMG to just look at a background to see if I like the entire thing. We really can not tell what the whole thing looks like by that little thumbnail photo.
    Other than that I'm happy with the updated houses. I even dealt fine with the mess when unpacking :)
    Posted 12 years ago by PittyPat is sad Subscriber! | Permalink
  • * Still can't manage to get in-world *
    Is anyone else able to????

Edit - Also, I agree with this 100% " . If we have to pay for a background every time we use it then we need a preview.  "
  • I was wondering, how many SDBs were we all supposed to get as part of the "base" furniture?
    Posted 12 years ago by Viresse Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If you are missing boxes still :  looksie here!

and... sorry!
    Posted 12 years ago by RainyRain Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The more I think about it, the more upset I realise I am about the housing limitations.  When those of us who had 50k model homes grumped about the fact we got smaller housing, we were told to wait.. that the new housing would potentially be much, much larger.  But it's not much larger.  I have about as much room in my house now, after all the work I can put in, as I had with my 50k model, AND I liked the layout of the 50k model better.  :s

You guys said the housing and yardspace would be limitless, and yet now you're saying there will always be limits.  This really really sucks.  I'm just really disappointed. :(

Why would you say that it would be limitless if you knew it wouldn't be?  Or are the newfound limits a new hurdle that you ran into that you just haven't found a way around yet?

/upset
  • Can you provide the quote/thread link where they said it would be limitless?
    Posted 12 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just got the one SDB, Viresse
    Posted 12 years ago by Synkronos Subscriber! | Permalink
  • OHh.. I went back and just now re-read EVERY. SINGLE. R1 + R2 thread about every freaking thing and I guess I just misunderstood.. when they said multiple floors and, that you'd be able to expand a lot but at some point you would be limited by your amount of imagination..  I guess I thought that meant "indefinitely as long as you had iMG to burn"  :(
  • Just want TS to know how much I am loving all these changes. Making the furniture and the house expansions is fun. :) It's like a whole-new Glitchland.

Question: how do we make our home pages viewable? It says I haven't allowed that to happen yet -- where do I give permission?
    Posted 12 years ago by emdot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Perhaps TS could put a page in the Encyclopedia where we could preview the backgrounds and the music that goes with them?
    Posted 12 years ago by Princess Fi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I can´t find my moving bxes!
    Please help!
    Posted 12 years ago by Darkshines Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ok, this has potential, but I don't like the fairytale/whimsical-ish designs.

I'm looking forward to some more "modern" clean Alakol-like options. The new house feels so claustrophobic without the open sides and rooftop garden.

But good work. :-)
    Posted 12 years ago by Waffle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would love to be able to have my back yard as big as my street...fully extended in the backyard is way too small.
    Posted 12 years ago by binkywawa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Liza asked when new housing was coming up:
    will there be maximums on how much land you can have, patches you can make, plots you can add, levels you can build?

And stoot said:
    there will probably be some eventual limit. But, it will get geometrically more expensive to imagine more land so any hard limit will more theoretical than not
    (http://www.glitch.com/forum/general/15303/157026/ )

So not "limitless", but I would say that answer set expectations higher than the current limits. (Though I haven't done the math to see how much iMG it takes to hit the current limits...)
    Posted 12 years ago by Vic Fontaine Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Please!!! ALL of my belongings are missing!! I have NO moving boxes and NO stuff! What ever shall I do?
    Posted 12 years ago by Gretchy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Gretchy, I'm in the same boat. File a help case if you haven't already :) The devs are hunting down our missing stuff, in the meantime you might want to collect barnacles, and snails if you have rods on you. (Unless you were way more stocked than I was!) Maybe go after some Completist badges, the new Qurazy Quoins are tasty.
    Posted 12 years ago by Bellerophon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't have any moving boxes either.  I haven't been in game since the latest change, gone to my new 'stripped bare' house and no boxes of goodies to re-arrange.  Please find the bandit that stole my stuff, and restore my boxes to me.  
    Posted 12 years ago by Suesfur Subscriber! | Permalink
  • For those missing boxes, recommend going into Ur and then coming back to your home.  Sometimes that helps to reset things - I had a couple friends where this worked for them, and they didn't have to ask the devs for help. If it doesn't work, do as Bellerophon said, and file a help case or a bug report rather than posting in the forums. That will get to the devs much quicker and they will be able to help you sooner.  Good luck!

Per the updates...I am LOVING it!!  Wow, so busy now...collecting stuff...making furniture...collecting more stuff...expanding house...adding items to the yard...going out to earn iMG...using update cards...having to earn more iMG...  This redesign to the game has been brilliant, and makes it much much more interesting to play. Frankly, prior to this, I was quite bored and the game was way too linear...this has added a level of complexity to the game that really helps to keep the boredom away.  I know it's frustrated some players...but please keep up the good work...please keep this to a higher standard vice a lowest common denominator. I really wasn't sure how much I'd like all the changes, and some I still feel like I'm trying to noodle through (since I'm an optimizer), but overall, this has engaged me again.  I'm exhausted (in a good way) when I'm done playing for a night.  Looking forward to all the additional creative things you have planned...still hoping for the sandy beaches, but the fjords/NW water views will do for now...get some rest because you guys definitely deserve it after all this!!
    Posted 12 years ago by b3achy Subscriber! | Permalink