Topic

Decorating tips - with free furniture!

"Blah blah blah all the cool stuff costs credits now blah blah blah."

This is my second floor.

Minus the fishbowl, which I bought for 100k, everything is free. There are a few free-for-subscriber decorations. I'm sure you can get them by giving furniture bases to a subscriber friend. :) Giving a thank-you gift wouldn't hurt either.

Another thing: decorating with items works too. Notice the cubimals and easter eggs? Those are really pretty things to decorate with. Food and drinks are cool too.

So! Get creative, non-credit-owning homeowners! Necessity is the mother of invention...

EDIT: More cool things to decorate with: icons, focusing orbs, trophies, dolls, pretty herbs (silvertongue and purple anyone?), and, weirdly enough, SDBs.
ANOTHER EDIT: GEMS. 'nuff said. Sparkly, too. And pumpkins. Pumpkins are oddly pretty. Firefly jars! Crystals! Emotional bears! 

Subscriber-only free stuff:
Displayed in the picture:
Potpourri Pillar - room decoration. Really pretty.
Blooming Moss - wall decoration. Goes with the Potpourri Pillar; both look nice, imo, on the sky-blue wallpaper.
Firebog Green and Yellow Charms - wall decorations. OH MAN THIS WAS A MUST FOR ME. I LOVE THE FIREBOGS. (Also why I spent 100k for that fishbowl.)
Not displayed in the picture:
Firebog Door - door. I really want to use this, but it doesn't match the rest of my furniture. :( Plus it's really wide; not sure if I can fit it in. Goes well with the free firebog wall swatch, I would assume.
Firebog Fishing Poles - Cool...but there's just no more SPACE. I need more WALL SEGMENTS. They cost lots of TIME and EFFORT and I am a LAZY FACEHOLE so I really can't.
Firebog Green Table - As you probably noticed, a lot of free-sub stuff is firebog. Anyway, this is awesome. Even though it's green. Might stand out among all the other brownish firebog decor.
Firebog Wall Cabinet - OK, I have to stop being a LAZY FACEHOLE. I need this.

Posted 12 years ago by Sororia Rose Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Really nice job with this. Color me inspired.
    Posted 12 years ago by Pancito Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you! What a nice house you got there! :)
    Posted 12 years ago by rosedragon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Firefly jars make pretty lamps. So do Bubble trophies!

That's fun! Thanks for the tips. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Tricia McMillan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wonderful! I know this will inspire many players. The creativity side of our brain is just waiting to be released.
    Posted 12 years ago by GreyGoose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yummy-looking food on tables really makes a place feel homey. There's also putting piglets on the bed, decorating shelves with bubbles, things like that...
    Posted 12 years ago by Liridona Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You can also mix and match wallpaper to make your own designs, and then definitely add a splash with rugs. Mine's decorated very plainly right now so I don't have any examples to give, but I used the two types of blue paper one after the other to create stripes. Adding the free striped SDBs on top look great, and those match both the black and blue furniture. Make lots of SDBs and create a picture with them, lay them out to look like a tidal wave or a smile. Stagger some shelves and decorate with your own objects like Sororia said.
    Posted 12 years ago by Csophae Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ohh nice! Thanks for the ideas! Due to me not being a subscriber, I plan on using these tips! I'll post my home up here when I'm finished
    Posted 12 years ago by I'm Chris Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sororia Rose, your place is lovely!

My tip: I'm low on credits, but I bought a gorgeous mushroom lamp, with currants, from a travelling salesman. Some of your fellow Glitchen are looking for a chance to hook you up.
    Posted 12 years ago by Aleph Zero Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I caved in and bought 150 credits because I just hated those free pale blue wallpapers! I've only spent 100 of them to do my whole house though lem.to/p/CsYU

The only things I have upgraded with credits - bottom and middle wallpapers, two armchairs, the coffee table and the table on the middle floor. All the rest was using the free to everyone options (I think it's good to check those out and work around them if you don't have many credits to play with!)

I'd also agree that your inventory is probably full of stuff you can use as decoration too - a good way to add details if your home looks a little bare :)

I didn't realise you could ask a subscriber if they would upgrade a basic piece for you - that's handy to know!
    Posted 12 years ago by Mathilda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What IS that beautiful vine (furniture base?) climbing your wall? and that plant?
    Posted 12 years ago by Dommy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What I've done so far, everything are free furniture items.... Plan on adding more.

http://www.glitch.com/snaps/PUVCQFL2DRG2BQH/12174-12c621056e/
  • The free-for-subscribers-only furniture items are now posted above. 
  • Yes, you might want to change the title. Your house is full of free stuff that is lovely but it certainly doesn't help non-subscibers.
    Posted 12 years ago by SkyWaitress Subscriber! | Permalink
  • http://www.glitch.com/snaps/PUV1A0JP4TN2MCA/10619-63701f6562/

Made all this myself! I'm not a subscriber and it's all free upgrade stuff and i didn't buy anything off auctions either - so it is possible :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Daisy Diggory Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for the suggestion, Sky. Taken. 
    Daisy, that's awesome. I love how you used the default table. 
  • I like your house, you guys have great ideas.  :)
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • And now you can win prizes for your creativity.  See the Free For Non-subscribers Interior Design Contest topic.  
    Posted 12 years ago by WindBorn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm pretty sure that couch is not free, either for subs or non-subs.
    Edit: nvm, it's a loveseat and it IS free!
    Posted 12 years ago by N2ZOrtolanaBlue Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am liking firefly jars as decorations.

www.glitch.com/snaps/PUV6GU...
    Posted 12 years ago by randomcyn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Updated my home with some more free items, excuse the blurriness - stayed at the Hell Bar a little too long.... lol.

http://www.glitch.com/snaps/PUVCQFL2DRG2BQH/12262-6d8b43892a/
  • Mine with a single premium wall.
    www.glitch.com/snaps/PA9U5U...
  • Posting a little update: wall decorations and SDBs go remarkably well together if you're looking for a log cabin-y feel. See here
  • psst, I make a snapshot of my house without a single premium item, here is it:
    www.glitch.com/snaps/PA9U5U...