Topic

Where have all the piggies gone?

I just realized there seems to be a sever deficiency of piggies out in the game world. There are almost 4000 chickens outside of home streets but only 400 piggies. I rarely walk past one anymore, and the world seems lonelier without them. Where did they all go?

Posted 12 years ago by Reirei Umezaki Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 3 Next
  • I can confirm the mechanics for pigs & trants -- if you don't harvest every couple of days the piggies will starve.

It doesn't have to be close to the pig though, they will cross the street to eat (if they can)
    Posted 12 years ago by Sturminator 5 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • These pigs lived on my street for months.  If they weren't facing me while I interacted with that tree, they didn't eat from the tree.  They had to "watch" me water, pet, or harvest, and even then, sometimes they wouldn't eat, despite being hungry.  In other words, the presence of the tree did not guarantee their survival.  Feeding them one meat each restored them to their usual nibble-able state, and I had to feed them about every twelve hours in order to nibble again.
    Posted 12 years ago by glum pudding Subscriber! | Permalink
  • They're just dying because no one is going out into the world enough to feed and maintain them. I spend a lot of time in my house/on street/ in tower by I still pet and nibble and feed the piggies when I do go out into the world. I think the new players are spending too much time on the serious routes for their resources including meat, grain milk so they are dying. They aren't' essential to have in the world but it's nice having them around. i think it adds to the feel of the game to have them around the place
    Posted 12 years ago by magrat garlick Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Magrat, my question is now.......is that the way the designers intended us to play the game?  Running nothing but routes, living on our home streets and in towers?  Do they really want us ignoring all the wonderful art and mechanics that they put in the game before home streets existed? 

I fall victim to getting stuck in routes, too.  However, I am not sure that is working as intended.
    Posted 12 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Innie✿ wrote: However, I am not sure that is working as intended.

Does it matter as long as you are enjoying Glitch?
    Posted 12 years ago by IrenicRhonda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It looks likes there's been drama since someone decided to target members of PIG and steal their piggies. Hmmm...
  • yes Irenic, it matters to me.  That is why I said it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Reirei Umezaki said: "It looks likes there's been drama since someone decided to target members of PIG and steal their piggies."

Reirei has this been confirmed or is it just a rumor? I'd like to hear something a little more specific than "It looks like...". This thread has already been rife with people throwing around the "S" word (stealing). Is there actual evidence of a concerted effort to target the Pigs of PIG?
    Posted 12 years ago by The Cat Face Subscriber! | Permalink
  • One member of the group reported that her pigs had been stolen and said that another member of the same group had their pigs stolen too, and they both had the same person in their butler lists. Either way, looks like drama to me.
  • That does sound like drama.
  • Johnny Drama?

(on hindsight i'd delete but is there no way to delete forum posts?)
    Posted 12 years ago by emdot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Butler lists are not:

1) Exhaustive
    2) Complete
    3) Correct
    4) To be relied on

I've found that out the hard way.

So now in this thread, one person has been repeatedly accused of saying a Group stole* pigs, and now that same Group is actually accusing others of stealing, after much vociferous complaining about that original person's non-use of that word. It's not ironic. Really. Move along, nothing to see here.

emdot-- you can edit your post to nothing, but you're right, there's no way to remove the post. Yours is, however, quite funny, and not in need of editing or removal. (IMHO)

--Me

* Glum never said that, and denied saying that quite strongly.
    Posted 12 years ago by SchWM Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I know you're all standing around waiting for me to chime in, so here goes.

A couple days back, I did a walkthrough of Groddle Forest and Meadow on a meat-run and netted myself close to 4,000 meats in less than 90 minutes. How many people can say they can do that by walking the housing streets? G'head. I challenge you to do it. Even with your precious 35 meat collectors, you can't do it in that short of time.

I really don't understand the whole, "OMG, I MUST HAVE ALL THE PIGZZZZZ ON MY STREETS, LULZ!!!" mentality. It makes your street a laggy mess and extremely unpleasant to harvest anything, much less trying to isolate one of your 44 pigs to net a few meats. It's awkward and requires a LOT more clicking.

On the streets of Ur, find a pig, stand next to it, hit your enter key four times in rapid succession, net meat. Easy. Try it. You'll like it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Perion Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Umm... sorry to burst your bubble, Perion. (ahem..... challenge accepted!)
    I just did a test run of pig petting/nibbling on home streets. In 5 minutes, (I petted all the pigs I nibbled) I totaled 700 meat. So that's about 90 piggies in 5 minutes. Extrapolate that to 90 minutes, one would have gained around 12000 meat on the conservative side (and 72,000 iMG!), albeit in a much boring way than doing it in Ur.

I do like to just stand next to a piggie and hit enter 4 times. This was why I created the free range piggies route in the first place. (But now I've reverted to a pig stick because..... it gets confusing free-range once there are more than 20 pigs in a street)

Anyway, the point is the lack of piggies in Ur is never caused by people keeping piggies in their own home streets. Piggies die in Ur. And that's because people don't go out.

Don't ask me how to make more people go out to Ur. I've suggested, rebelled, cried, fought, almost begged for this to happen, and well, I give up to fight for a better cause.

Anyway, piggies are replaceable. I'm adopting a street. Fill it with piggies. (If you walk around now you'd have noticed more piggies because of this post, because people are doing just that!)

And social things that we miss because people are apparently not wondering around Ur? There's so much other activities to meet people. Like global chat. Or parties. etcetc
    Be creative. Now that we can greet people through butlers when they're on our home street, and they can answer back, the possibilities for social interactions are only limited to your imagination.
    Posted 12 years ago by purple goldfish Subscriber! | Permalink
  •  Perion wrote: much less trying to isolate one of your 44 pigs to net a few meats.
    Fortunately we can all enjoy Glitch, and we can all enjoy it in different ways. I have 44 piggies. But I don't isolate them and mainly just empty my collectors. Since housing reset I have filled up an SDB with excess meat (that's excess over and above what I use) three times. That's 3000 stacks, 180,000  excess meats that have cost a bit of grain and  a moment or two to click each collector once a day.  

You also say  "On the streets of Ur, find a pig, stand next to it, hit your enter key four times in rapid succession, net meat. Easy. Try it. You'll like it."
    I have tried it and I don't like it, which is why I stopped doing it. But my piggies provide enough cash with little effort to fund the parts of Glitch I do enjoy.

I'm happy for you to play your way. I'm happy for all Glitches to play their own way. So please, don't mock me for playing Glitch my way

Lets all play in the sandbox nicely together
    Posted 12 years ago by IrenicRhonda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Irenic, no mocking intended, truly. It's confusion on my part more than anything.

Play on. :)

purple_goldfish: You hit the operative word right on the head: boring. Perhaps not for everyone, but for me it is.

And the challenge is for a FULL 90 minutes! ;)
    Posted 12 years ago by Perion Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I personally have given up on maintaining herds. I used to keep a happy herd of 30 on my Home Street and a dozen in my back yard. I don't mess with pigs on Home Streets or out in the world. Why?
    1 - I have a surplus of meat I've gathered over time.
    2 - I rarely utilize meat when cooking.

And probably most importantly...
    3 - The mechanics have been altered thereby leaving the pigs 'broken' in my mind.

I can't say exactly when it started, but *something* changed with the pigs. Learning Animal Kinship VI gives the ability to nibble pigs without petting them... or at least it did in the past. I could go for 2 or 3 days without petting the pigs in my herds. Now, they require daily petting in order to nibble. I tested it out across weeks, and with varying numbers of pigs - all with the same results. Even if I only pet the pigs before a New Day, I would again need to pet them to nibble on the following day.

End Result: Obnoxious mechanics. So I don't bother with pigs anymore.
    Posted 12 years ago by Wandering Confusion Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Huggies and be nice all. I had no intention of dissing Glum Pudding, whom I greatly admire and like, when I posted in defense of the piggy rescue group. I hope it is not outing anybody to say how much I like and admire Glum Pudding. Also, this is a game, meant to be a fun game, so please don't be hurtful to anybody in response to disagreements about how to play it!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Vocable Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like piggies and have been inspired by the early posts to make eggs to release in Ur. I have started by going to Alakol and releasing piggies in Stora Rede, Lustan Cautions and a couple of streets near there. So far I've only released about 10, but I've more than doubled the population of those streets. 

Piggies are only pixels, but newbies are newbies and they need piggies. They also need to explore Ur and get a love for the place before they get sucked into the resources routes.

(ps - am I the only one who likes to see piggies in trees and on high ledges?)  
    Posted 12 years ago by Momo McGlitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Momo - Many players enjoy the sight of a Pig with a view.
  • SchWM 

Do you think the people are lying for attention? That's pretty weird.
  • Reirei-- I think you're here with good intentions. But we're not communicating. 

In my last post, I commented on an irony. 

I certainly don't think any members of your group are "lying for attention". If I thought that, I'd have said that. (Or I may have chosen to say nothing, following my Mom's rule "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"). I wouldn't have said something entirely different.

I pointed out that Butler lists are notoriously inaccurate. To the extent that I've had my own personal butler
     1. fail to tell me that people visited when he was holding packages from them.
     2. fail to tell me that people visited when I asked him within minutes of them leaving
     3. Tell me that people visited who I knew for a fact hadn't visited (because they were my alts or my family members and hadn't been used in more than a week).
     4. Tell me that people visited who don't exist. (Granted, this could be people changing names or getting their accounts deleted).
     5. Tell me that he couldn't remember who a package was from.

I'm certainly not the only person who's noticed the extreme unreliability of the butler.

So, I think it's ironic that y'all have gone from yelling @ Glum for accusing y'all of stealing (which SHE NEVER DID) to actually using that word based on the rather flimsy evidence of your butler lists. 

I don't think anyone is lying for attention. I do think people are jumping to conclusions. Repeatedly. Consistently. Ironically.

--Me
    Posted 12 years ago by SchWM Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My fellow Glitchen, go adopt a street. Fill it with piggies, butterflies and chickens and visit it often.
    Posted 12 years ago by Mal'akh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hoo boy. *unleashes the flying monkeys*

[removed by admin]

What's wrong with this comment? Only everything. First of all, PIG isn't a new group. We were founded nearly a year ago, when most of us were new players ourselves. We haven't forgotten what it's like to be new; we aren't a bunch of bored high-level players trying to come up with new and interesting ways of amusing ourselves, and that's what the above comment seems to imply. Secondly, we don't have a "pigs first" ideology. If you read my previous comments in this thread, and look at the discussions on our group page, you will see that we are committed to the player community as much as the porcine one, and our actions reflect that philosophy. 

Thirdly, to say that "the piggies in Ur are there to serve the glitches needs, not the reverse" comes across as unnecessarily brutal, as well as conveying a cold sense of entitlement and utilitarianism, and it simply isn't true. The piggies depend on players to survive, as so many others have pointed out, so of course it could be considered our role as players to "serve" them by feeding them, as much as it is their role to "serve" us, no different than taking care of trees by petting and watering...unless you come from the perspective of "What does it matter if they die? We'll just make more." That's true too, certainly, but the fact remains that many players DO care about the piggies, and take time to care for them. Obviously this sentiment isn't universal among Glitchen, but it is prevalent, so please don't disparage those of us who see the piggies as more than just a resource to be freely-utilized and then disposed of.

[removed by admin] I hope this isn't considered "calling someone out," [removed]

As far as the unfortunate pig-nappings themselves are concerned, yes, there is reason to believe that these were targeted attacks against PIG members, most likely as a direct result of the hostility directed towards PIG in this thread. I'm no longer saddened by all of this; rather, I'm pissed off to the point of losing what little tact and diplomacy I have left. If you read back over the posts in this thread, by and large the posts from PIG members have been polite and civil. Nearly all of the negativity (excepting this post, of course) has come from a handful of posters who appear to have a bone to pick with us for whatever reason, and who enjoy fanning the flames.

[removed] a formidable force against that asshole [removed], the dude who stole our members' piggies. (Whoopsie, is that what's known as calling someone out? My bad! Oh, it's obviously only someone's alt account, folks, so don't get your drawers in a twist.) 

To end on a lighter note: PIG has been, and will continue to be, a positive force in the community for both critters and Glitchen alike. We volunteer our time and our resources to helping out community members, and we will continue to do so, as long as there is still a need for our services. 

We were extremely heartened by the outpouring of support we received from the community in response to the pignappings; so many of you donated eggs and piglets to the members who were hit, and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Just goes to show that even in the midst of controversy, the Glitchen spirit is alive and well. (I have to apologize for adding yet more drama to this thread by my angry response, anger that I believe is more than justified, but meh...I said what I felt needed to be said, and if you don't like it, well, you know.) At any rate, I'm done here...back to my plants and my pixelated porcine pals. This too shall pass...this too shall pass...this too...

--just another tree-hugging piggy rescuer <3
    Posted 12 years ago by KitchWitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Whoopsie, is that what's known as calling someone out?"

Yes, it certainly is, and it's time to step back- it's really not welcome. Please take a moment to read our Forum Guidelines.

We have reached a pig too far at this point and it is time to put this topic to bed. 
    Posted 12 years ago by kevbob Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 3 Next