Topic

Staff Topic

The official shutdown thread …

Glitch is closing. The details are here: www.glitch.com/closing/

We will do our best to answer everyone's questions (but please take a moment to read the announcement and FAQ before jumping in). Information on refunds is here: www.glitch.com/closing/refu...

Over the next few weeks we'll going to be releasing all kinds of things that were saved for later, nearly-done, previously-shelved or are in various states of design. We will do our best to help everyone get the most of the time which remains — you've all been given (or will shortly be given) 2,500 credits and a free subscription.

New signups and payments are now closed.

I feel sick.

[Edited to add, a few hours later]: I feel much better. Thank you everyone, for all the love! Amazing, beautiful and touching.

Posted 11 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 25 26
  • Sigh. This is not the first beta online world I've seen lose the footrace with time/money ... doesn't make it any less sad. You had such a gloriously strange weird and wonderful creation here ... I just wanted to add my voice to all the others telling you so, because it pretty much sounds like that's the only thing left to do at this point.

Plus party like hell till the final moment. Me, I think I'm going to do my damnedest to go 100% completist on the whole of Ur before it goes pfffffft.

Hugs to all.
    Posted 11 years ago by DennyKozlov Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Glitch has been my refuge for over a year. The only MMO that I felt comfortable in and the only one I ever subscribed to. I will miss it dearly.

Thank you to all of you who made it possible.
    Posted 11 years ago by Mal'akh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I only started playing last month and was just starting to get into it. I'm kind of bummed about Glitch closing. Thank you for creating such a creative game. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Jinzeiu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • One note, and then I'll shut up on this topic.

First, you guys did virtually NO product marketing. You did, but in fits and starts.
    Not consistent.

That's okay. 

If this were kickstarted, what is the number you need to keep rolling?

Oh, and what was the total audience, and the past 6 months of growthrate?

Just so we know.
    Posted 11 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is really sad news.  I love the whimsy of Glitch, it's been a great deal of fun. I don't know what to say... besides thanks, TS, for a lovely party.
    Posted 11 years ago by T Longpointlessname Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I write stories for a living (actually, I don't, I'm neither lucky or talented enough - but I like to keep this specific state of mind), yet I'm a guy of relatively few words. What can I say in face of such sad news? I doubt I'm capable of delivering any speech worthy of this fine game, or the fabulous community this game has spawned.
    This beautiful dream is coming to an end and I hope we'll all be able to redream it someday, perhaps in some other form, when the time is more favourable for such goofy, good-spirited games and communities. I fear it's not a time thing though, but a sad deficiency in the world we live in. Yet, I hope we'll meet again somewhere and remember these fun times.

There's only one thing left to do:

Thank you. Let's go forth and be glitchy - while there's still some time left 'fore waking.
    Posted 11 years ago by Asthner Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Seriously crying my eyes out.  This breaks my heart.  I will miss you stoot, Danny, kevbob, Jade, and Kukubee......Kuku, I lobe you. Thank you for all things Trisor, and all things Hell.

I will miss you Glitch, forever and always.

(roflmao at my typo!!)
    Posted 11 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i was sitting at work today, thinking about how lucky i was to find the perfect game for me- a wonderful community who works together to build things with imagination and kindness and more than a little silliness. i am so heartbroken to see it go and i've only been here for a few months, so i can't even imagine how you all feel.

i wish there was some way i could thank you guys. i guess cosplaying as the rube next summer will have to be enough <3 <3 <3
    Posted 11 years ago by weesaw Subscriber! | Permalink
  • NOOOOOOO :( *sobs in the corner* I'm just so sad about this :( :( I will miss this game so much and all my cubimal racers that I've come to love!!
    Posted 11 years ago by Demaria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This makes me so sad. I love Glitch! I love that, after a long day at work, I could come home and enter this gentle, lovely, relaxing world for a few hours. I'll miss my little Glitch, and my pigs, and my house... 

Thank you, Tiny Speck, for all the work you put into the game. I wish there was a way to keep it going.
    Posted 11 years ago by Pointy Sticks Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Just to add to the chorus...

I'm so sad! this has been a beautiful place to be, and i will miss it dearly. I was never as active in the forums or as sociable as I could have been, but it still meant a lot to me. I don't know if I will ever find a place that I enjoy as much!
    Posted 11 years ago by TinkerToy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I can't add anything more than what's already been so eloquently expressed. I just want to emphasize that in spite of this HUGE disappointment, I know that every single member of the ts team will go on and do great things...that sunny days are ahead. Your combined talents brought out the best in each other and the best in its players.  

I will miss the glitch community TERRIBLY. *takes out another tissue* And, please, I do not want a refund------the pleasure and joy you gave me is worth every penny I spent. *begins keening again* Thank you, tiny speck, and thank you glitchens for almost two years of pure joy and delight and laughter.
    Posted 11 years ago by GreyGoose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just started playing this too! Omg why are you shutting down?! I actually liked this game. It reminded me of my tinerme and gaiaonline days. It willbe forever before I come acroos a webgame like this ><!
    Posted 11 years ago by KilikGaia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm so sad to see Glitch go! I'm going to miss it a lot. Man, I loved watching people's face when I started explaining how nothing came from where you were expecting, like milk from butterflies or eggs from eggplants.

I'm really sad I won't be able to buy all the stuff for my tower etc I had been saving up for. I, I feel kind of silly even asking this because I know you're in refund mode, but I wish I could buy just a few (hundred) more credits to fix everything up before it's all over. I mean, I don't even really want the refund on what I have spent, anyway! Trying to decide whether to pick the charity or you guys right now. So I wouldn't mind tossing a few more bucks to either one of those! As they say where I hang on tumblr, shut up and take my money!

Anyway, thanks for the ride, it's been fun.
    Posted 11 years ago by jmtorres Subscriber! | Permalink
  • No offense to TS because I've been a huge fan for over a year.  But don't you have to come out of beta and then market your product to build a fan base.  Seems to me you would have had a huge audience in Facebook, Pintrest... something?

I only stumbled on Glitch because I was looking for local gaming companies.  I never saw any other marketing to attract me to the game and I'm on the web all day.

I'm very sad and if you do have a second chance to keep this alive just rethink your marketing the game is great.
    Posted 11 years ago by Webbie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am heartbroken.

Glitch came along at a time when I was stressed but getting better, and it's been exactly what I've needed to help with that healing. I feel like I'm in a good place now, and maybe I don't need it as much as I once did, so I'm lucky there. But still, even on a day when I don't have time to wander the beautiful world looking like a nature goddess or a death knight or a girl dressed as a boy, I at least take a little time to plant some crops, make sure my piggies are fed, collect my milk... I'm going to miss it terribly.

The Refunds page says I have about $150 sitting out there. I can't bring myself to ask for it back. Not after the wonderful, imaginative, awe-inspiring year you've all given me.

Thank you, and good luck.
    Posted 11 years ago by Trixie Mixie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I doubt I have anything to say that hasn't been said already, but I just wanted to say thank you to all those who made Glitch so lovely, both staff and community wise. I've only been playing a few weeks, but this was the first MMO that I actually enjoyed, and will continue to play up until the bitter end.

You are all so wonderful, and I do hope someday a project like this will return to cyberspace, and flourish the way it deserves to. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Alianna Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I really wish you guys had dropped some heavier hints -- I certainly would have paid/ would pay to keep this game going, at least a little longer until it finds it's audience (which does seem to be people who need the peace and the friendship and a way to have choices and control when their real lives are being less than colourful or amusing). I was kind of counting on Glitch being here for me through my post-op... and maybe making longer-term friends than the nearly three months I've been playing really allow me to claim to have done. I'm... tearing up, and this I not something I do over online games (even the longest game I played... something like a year and a half I made no new friends and walked away without even missing it when it got stale -- Glitch was definitely different, and I knew that already)

I guess now we know what Lem meant about smoking 'em while we've got 'em

I'm still going to try finishing the last three things I have to learn (four if the impossible quest isn't actually an impossibility) and making it to 60... and hitting whatever badges I can, and maybe grabbing a few party packs and inviting the people who were maybe going to go beyond valued acquaintances in a month or two more to do silly things. If I get up the courage, and if we can be brave enough to celebrate Glitch rather than mourning.

I need to photograph everything and download some memories. I need to spend more time with my pigs! I need to... do all those things I thought I should save for later (including spend the currants I thought I'd need to buy useless but pretty things)... And oh, I'll never have a necklace finished :( Or the feat badges...

I wish all of you who created and ran this world all the best -- even if that loved and lost thing is not working for me right now :) I can't say you made something unique... because for me what you made was the first game of it's kind I could get past the intro pages of, the first I got involved with, the first I've had dreams about being inside rather than just playing. You made magic. Thank you for getting me through the discovery, the waiting for appointments, the scans and MRI... I wish I could have played for so long that I knew the staff -- as names and then people -- but thank you all anyway for Glitch and for Ur... I suspect that in years to come I will still be humming the music and talking about splankings and Zilloween (and trying to remember the name of the eleventh giant... which ever name it is that's slipped my mind)

I'm not sure you really understand what you made, and what you gave.... but that's okay, I'm grateful I was drawn here and got to nearly win the game (although I might still win if I don't try too hard :P ) and I'm grateful you pushed the big rock this far up the hill.

Now I'd better go back to Jenny before she dies again -- or maybe I should die more for the badge? Choices, choices... still got a few before they're taken away.
    Posted 11 years ago by Jenny Wren Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Best of luck to everyone. I hope the code and everything is kept somewhere safe...just in case. Computers get cheaper and Google Fiber is fast.
    Posted 11 years ago by hollow Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ok, ok, I had my cry now too, and just have to say thank you as well.  

stoot, eric, jdawg, annapee, Danny, serguei, Bees!, myles, mart lume, kukubee, keita, Jade, kristel ottis, justin, jono, herp derp, kevbob, rascalmom and now too many for me to list here, I will deeply miss all the beautiful things you imagined into being here.  

I used to have an account on a site that hosted virtual worlds, but that had been largely abandoned (for Second Life, I guess). I used to wander around the empty maps, some of them incredibly elaborate and detailed....and I didn't understand why people were paying to maintain these quiet spaces but now I realize it was because those places were crammed full of memories for them.  And I wish I had the same to take with me when Glitch closes, like a tiny bit of a Glitch I could go and hang out in and just remember.

*verklempt again*
    Posted 11 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It truly breaks my heart to hear this sad news. For me, Glitch has been a shining light in a relatively dark year. Thank you for everything, Tiny Speck staff! [hugs]
    Posted 11 years ago by Verðandi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm very sad. :( I found out about glitch three days ago, and it has since become my favorite game. The quirks, the friendly people, the giggles. I've had dreams of piggies and spirits and jumping on clouds. I'm sad that I won't get to explore everything, but I'd like to thank you for all your work and my days of joy.
    Posted 11 years ago by Pillowchair Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I hoped so much that this was just a joke...Sad to see you guys go..Thank you for everything.
    Posted 11 years ago by ❅Cobalt❅ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • .... i just heard the news.... it really breaks my heart.... this game was perfect.... i know i haven't played in a while but this is a crying shame. i wish i could pull this game and ware it as a badge of pride that i played this glorious game when it was still around.... i love you guys. From this day onwards this game will now be known as "Glitch the Greatest Game that Never Was". Some people say Skyrim and Halo are the best games they have ever played but hands down glitch was one of mine... ill miss the people ive met, the places ive seen, the rocks i talked to... and i will regret the hi's never said, the streets never seen, and the towers and quests never finished.... i know i have time and i will try to play more in whats left..... memories are cool :]. i will look forward to seeing you all in cerabikul on the ninth for what I'm sure will be the greatest going away party ever.... I'll bring the hooch, all of it every last bottle. Love Smiling Flounder
    Posted 11 years ago by Smiling Flounder Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Personally, I strongly support the idea of doing a kickstarter, raising subscription prices, anything to keep this financially viable. That said, I understand that in the long term, a Flash-based game with no mobile port is unlikely to survive. 

Still, it makes me depressed because, though I normally play those 'violent and awful' games which focus on combat, I always came here when I wanted to regain some peace of mind. It was calming to go through the streets watering trees or nibbling on piggies, or jumping through the ancestral lands. I had just returned after many months of being too busy, just started to get used to all the new features and I'm shocked that even with so many improvements and changes, this ended up happening. 

Tiny Speck, you did something that brightened the lives of all your players, and gave us a small paradise we could lose ourselves in during difficult times. As someone who suffers depression and found comfort in your world of imagination, I thank you all for your work and wish you the best in your future endeavors.

PS: Refunds are unnecessary- I owe much more than what I paid for that subscription to what you've all given me. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Kastor Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Stoot and TS 'ers,
    Thank you for a wonderful opportunity. Stumbling upon you made it easier for all us FS'ers to mourn our loss.You gave us a new hope and we have really enjoyed our time with you all.Most unfortunate that we as gamers will be in mourning again for another beloved gaming experience.We can hold onto the thought that just maybe you will spring a new game on us with a friendlier platform in the future.
    Thanks again Stoot......You have been incredibly awesome and it has been a pleasure to meet you and all the staff in game.We thank all of you behind the scenes also. It has been a hell of a party!
    Posted 11 years ago by Tilly TrinkleHouse Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It truely sad and disappointing. I've started less thank two weeks ago now I find out that I only have about 3 more weeks to play ><
    Posted 11 years ago by Zephys Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Dearest Stoot and All, I just want to thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooo much for giving me such a wonderful game to play.  This is going to be hard, but I know far harder for all of the TS staff.  You have given us the best game ever!  As you said, "better to have loved and lost.."  I am so sorry that things haven't worked out.. Can't imagine what I will find to with my free (and sometimes not so free - LOL) time..  Seem silly, to be crying over a game, but I am.. for you guys, for everything we all built together.  Thank you so much for arranging to keep the game and then the forums up so that we can cement any friendships that we may wish to carry forward.  More later..  Love you, Joni Mitchell aka Princess Fi.
    Posted 11 years ago by Princess Fi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Figures!

It seems like every single time I find something that is a cut above everything else out there that something crappy ends up happening to it.

It has most definitely been my pleasure; I assure you.
    Posted 11 years ago by Sir Lovealot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I keep finding myself floating back to this thread. Thank you Tiny Speck. It was profound, in the vast glory that imagination brings us. I want to say something that will make everything perfect again. I feel awful for making that prediction on my profile when I first joined. Never thought it would really happen though. It seemed at the time that Glitchen were invincible. That wherever I went, Ur would still be there. Familiar Groddle Meadows, the hole to Ix, Hell One, my house, my friends...all things that I thought would never disappear. Well, my house disappeared after things changed.
    When I came back from the break, I was certain that it would all settle down, and I would get used to it again. And now, this. I don't know what to do...what I can do before Glitch shuts down.
    Posted 11 years ago by Halomarch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Glitch, you could turn the most ordinary of days into an extraordinary one. I wish you luck through these hard times and I hope you find greatness through other places. Never forget what you have built here and all the people you have touched. I hope you learned new things, and had fun - I know I did.

I am sorry to see you go, and I know that you probably are even moreso. This was a wonderful place to express freely, meander about, and will be missed sorely. I hope to see its like again, even if I am too broke to afford a more marketed version of it.

May the winds carry you favorably and may you find solace in this sad day. I look forward to spending a heartbreaking but fantastic last couple weeks with you and everyone else in Glitch.
    Posted 11 years ago by Maident Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My life is seriously like a Seinfield Episode:  It all evens out.  :(

I finally got a teaching job today. Yet, I log on to see that now one of my favorite games is shutting down.  I really did love Glitch. I wish I could have subscribed to at least help Tiny Speck out. 

This game was great and I wish it could have succeeded. Thank you for creating this game.  It was a great run.  <3
    Posted 11 years ago by arose4beni Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This game kept amazing me with its creativity, quirkiness, and wit. I'll be very sad to see it go. I hope to be able to take part in another TinySpeck project somewhere down the line. Good luck with everything!
    Posted 11 years ago by ༺Lhyzz༻ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Make a new game like this@ :(
    Posted 11 years ago by ꘑ ShadowCat2 ꖘ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm sooooo sad :(
    Posted 11 years ago by Godiva Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh my Giants.
    Posted 11 years ago by Mahalla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • <3 <3 <3
    (the mountain goats version or not; your choice)
    Posted 11 years ago by clare Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh no. I've only been on here for a week or two, but already Glitch has caught my imagination of what it could be. I hope Tiny Speck makes something new and even more wonderful, and thank you for an amazing ride. Good luck.
    Posted 11 years ago by Panome Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just heard the news. I'm so bummed. I haven't played in awhile due to a shoulder injury but I always talk highly of Glitch and tell others this is the game to play.
    I had more fun here than any other game I have ever played and the people I met were the best people ever. 
    I love you guys. I loved this game. BIG ((((((((HUGS)))))))
    Posted 11 years ago by Eye Wonder Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This game has given me so much joy. What a creative work of love and insanity! From sparkly Random Kindness rainbows to the naughty giggles of Asslandia -- amazing grace. 

So much to be proud of, Stoot, for you and for all the wonderful TS staff who created magic in code and/or played with us in-game. 

I can't wait to see what you will do next, all of you. I will be following @Stewart on Twitter to see what comes next. Flickr is already a lovely part of my life, and I bet your next venture will be even more more more more more more awesome. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Vocable Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is sudden and unexpected and heartbreaking. I was just here reading the forums a couple of days ago.

I stopped playing this quite a while ago because I got bored, but I've been wanting to come back for a while. The thing stopping me was the fact that there was no way to start my character over. I wanted a fresh start to experience the new things implemented, such as character upgrades, but I found no way to do that short of creating an entirely new account. So I was watching and waiting for a day when I'd want to do that, probably when the game came out of beta again. Now it looks like that day will never come.

Edit: Hang on, the "beta" next to Glitch is gone! Did the game already relaunch and I missed it somehow? Or was it removed with this announcement? Well, I guess it doesn't matter now.

It's sad to see such a unique and fun MMO go. But I'll be honest, the reason is kind of frustrating. You cite a limited audience, yet I never see any advertising or any mentions of this game on any of the other sites I frequent. I discovered the closure thanks to the post at Joystiq, and predictably the first comment I saw when I scrolled down was "First I've heard of it."

Still, if there's any game I hope can be saved from the brink, it's this one. I'll be sure to keep an eye on the site to see if there's any way to save it, such as a Kickstarter. Hopefully you guys didn't wait so late to tell us that it's impossible to save the game.
    Posted 11 years ago by Mr. Glenn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • froot love glitch and froot love frends  *tuch*  \8D/

((Thank you for helping me create Froot.  He helped me realize a part of me I didn't even know I had.  Thank you.))
    Posted 11 years ago by Froot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am too sad for words right now.
    Good-bye Glitch
    Posted 11 years ago by Terribelle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I shall never forget this game, and I'm glad I had the chance to experience this wonderful, original fantastical game of imagination. Love to all the staff and my friends here in glitch!
    Posted 11 years ago by Emilia Rosalinda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You have no idea how much I will miss Glitch. I didn't know myself until I read the news and burst into tears.

Glitch is not a game; it is a way of life. One in which friendliness and community and helping and feeding and generosity and petting things are part of the very fabric of living. One in which those of us who are having it rough can always pet a piggy, watch it smile, close its eyes, and wiggle its butt in enjoyment -- and feel just a tiny bit better, knowing that we did a good thing in the world and that someone appreciated it, even if it was only a piggy made of pixels.

When you can't stop the crappy things that are happening in your real world, you could come here and feel like you did something nice for someone. And you made it so easy to be nice to other people. The whole concept of being able to buy or dig up a Random Kindness, something that you could not use on yourself but only to benefit others -- that was really something.

The best thing about Glitch (besides the humor, which was AWESOME) is that helping people really felt good. Yes, you got rewards for it, but mostly it just felt good. And that doesn't happen often enough out in the real world. I am going to do my very best to make my real world self live up to what my Glitchy self could so easily do. I am going to look for opportunities to give random kindnesses to people, to pet piggies and cherry trees, and to donate goods and labor to help others. (I am also going to dress up in fancy clothes more often and maybe build myself a train costume.) And if, out there in the real world, anyone happens to bestow a Random Kindness on me, or pet me, or help me, or say hi to me, or give me a birch candy, I am going to smile and close my eyes and wiggle my butt with gratitude so that they know they helped me, and I hope they get a +5 mood and a +25 iMG for every single thing they do.

Thanks, Tiny Speck, for this amazing gift. I will miss it like crazy.
    Posted 11 years ago by Ninetails Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My heart sank when I opened glitch tonight. I am sick with this news. I was always afraid that this would happen just like FS did.  I am sad that my beloved game will be no more. I thought the staff that brought this game to life is amazing! You all with TS did a fantastic job with communication with us gamers! I know you couldn't make everybody happy but that is just the way life is. My hats off to you all. I have always been very impressed Glitch. I am also sad for all of you with TS. I am sure you are even more sick and sad about this than we are. I wish you all the very best. You and Glitch will be missed. I am very glad I was a part of this whole experience. XOXOXOXO
    Posted 11 years ago by NaeNae Gigglepants Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you SO MUCH to Tiny Speck for showing me the potential of this dream.  I am deeply saddened that things didn't work out financially, and especially that I could not give more to that end, but I hope that the seed of inspiration planted by Glitch will grow into many future projects for TSers and fans alike.

Glitch has changed my outlook on life in the age of the Internet.  A beautiful civilization is possible.  And Glitch or no Glitch, we all now carry that spirit with us.
    Posted 11 years ago by Homsar Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you, all of you, for bringing a very special joy and a unique community into my life.

You'll be sorely missed :/
    Posted 11 years ago by Ashbet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Quick statement of great thank you for now.

You know me. I will write something much longer later. Next week perhaps.
    Posted 11 years ago by Lord Bacon-o Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I second the Kickstarter suggestion and I will support the campaign until goal is reached just to have TS/Glitch back. Hmm, if you do decide on crowd-funding don't refund me just put it in the campaign.Think about it please.
    Posted 11 years ago by Hellyeah Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 25 26