Topic

Staff Topic

The official shutdown thread …

Glitch is closing. The details are here: www.glitch.com/closing/

We will do our best to answer everyone's questions (but please take a moment to read the announcement and FAQ before jumping in). Information on refunds is here: www.glitch.com/closing/refu...

Over the next few weeks we'll going to be releasing all kinds of things that were saved for later, nearly-done, previously-shelved or are in various states of design. We will do our best to help everyone get the most of the time which remains — you've all been given (or will shortly be given) 2,500 credits and a free subscription.

New signups and payments are now closed.

I feel sick.

[Edited to add, a few hours later]: I feel much better. Thank you everyone, for all the love! Amazing, beautiful and touching.

Posted 11 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 25 26
  • I'm not ashamed to say I cried
    Our further joy will be denied
    'Cause something's touched me deep inside
    The day the piggies died.

This is sad news. Glitch is a game of wonder and kindness and joy, and it will be a sad loss.

Now all I need to do is figure out what I'm going to do with my refund. I'm figuring that I'll have to find some sort of charity that promotes imagination and creativity, or maybe one that buys animals (chickens, obviously) for people who need them.  
    Posted 11 years ago by Rhoswen Jones Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The first day of Doom is already among us... let us have fun with the time we have left and cherish the memory of a touching game that should've lasted forever :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Guider Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for a wonderful, wonderful time. Sad, of course, but mostly grateful for such a marvelous game and community.
    Posted 11 years ago by Pancito Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am reasonably new to glitch. I stumbled upon it whilst looking at some adverts on a torrent site (less said the better) watched the video and to be truth thought. WTF is this ****. However not one to judge, I thought I would have a we lookie. Waited more than the 2 weeks and then received my invitation. I think it took 5 mins past the tutorial to seep it's evil claws into my gaming self and from that moment I was like an addict. The game is absolutely preposterous, and yet I kind of like it.
    I have played many types of games, MMO's and community based games, but BY FAR this community was the most fun, interesting and at times strange - never met so many cat lovers :P - to be a part of. I am so going to miss this game and I wish all that have played their part it the very best in the future.

THANK YOU  TINY SPECK

PS I am so gutted (grown man choking back a tear)
    Nuff Love to all

Quotient.
    Posted 11 years ago by Quotient Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What, what can we do to make it last??????????????????
    Posted 11 years ago by bumz Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just started playing Glitch a couple of weeks ago after my girlfriend (who saw it mentioned in a random acquaintance's Facebook post) introduced it to me. I'm really sad it's going before I had the chance to fully experience it. I love games and, more than anything else, I love creative games. I knew within moments of playing that this was going to be something different in the best way possible. Glitch is really something special that I thought would catch on. There's something in it for everyone. Glitch has a unique humor, wit, and style that I will never forget. Kudos to the entire development team.

Thank you. Thank you for giving me a great time. Thank you for going out on a limb and making a game like this. It's people like you all who are the real innovators within the gaming industry. Good luck in all of your future endeavors.

Sincerely,
    - Soiyer
    Posted 11 years ago by Soiyer Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Is there a way that we could use turn the game into a social network? 

A network where you didn't have to feel awkward about not revealing yourself until you had made a bond with someone, not sure how that would work, but it's a possibility.

There are always these third party guild websites that are all over the interwebs, using faunasphere as an example, this would probably be the most clean and easy to use website for a group/guild. Here are some selling points:

- You can make updates and share them with people under the same username, without having to add people on Facebook. People can like, reply, and delete updates. 
    - You can rank members and give them certain positions. Using the forums is extremely easy! No need for that html crap coding.  You can still have a live and not have the MMO that you're playing as a second job.
    - You can make avatars that don't necessarily look like human beings, or extraterrestrial creatures at the same time! 

Perhaps having a subscription and access to the wardrobe would keep the site running. It may not have every staff member, and probably not produce enough revenue but it would be something...even really pretty advertisements would be nice. Something that would last until you finally would call it quits. It would be the social backbone of many MMO's. 

Just an idea, as always. Thought that I should point it out in case it could lead onto something. You never know. I'm just in denial. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Rook Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am absolutely gobsmacked. And heartbroken. I love this game.

I want all of TS to know how very much fun I have had being a part of Ur. It's even more heartbreaking to read that you feel as though you might have let me down. You didn't. I have had an absolute blast playing Glitch and I'm proud to have been able to experience the game that you created.

(Like the Purple Journey buff, it cannot be described, only experienced.  Seriously: the purplest.)
    Posted 11 years ago by Jacuzzi Queen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am so sad about this. Of course I don't want a refund, I had the best time ever here, I got what I paid for. I just don't want it to end. So sad.
    Posted 11 years ago by Foo Pananafaff Subscriber! | Permalink
  • And yes, oh my Gods how can you think you let us down? Please don't. Reading hat broke my heart.
    Posted 11 years ago by Foo Pananafaff Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you so much dear people, staff and players. Thank you. I will miss you all.
    Posted 11 years ago by the Duchess of Uke Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So... sudden...
    Posted 11 years ago by Serra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm so sad. I only just started playing a couple of weeks ago. I guess I'll stop building my tower and focus the rest of November on visiting every single street in Ur before they go away. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Skymaw Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Haven't played for long, but will definitely miss it when it's gone... thanks for the memories.

Any chance of being able to buy the soundtrack, or other mementos?
    Posted 11 years ago by Tydaeus Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had just started playing... I really love this game. I felt for the first time I had found a place where I could truly express myself freely and let my imagination run wild. Even though it's been short, this was one of the most original and captivating experiences I've had. This game is unique, and I'm only glad I found it before it was gone. But, so much sadness. I'm sorry to the devs that it didn't work out. I can't imagine the pain you must be feeling when a newbie like me is feeling like this.. You are amazing for making a game like this, where we can be silly and uplifted and creative. I'll stay on the ship until it sinks. Big love! <3
    Posted 11 years ago by Skrellen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My heart is broken.  

I can't imagine what you guys are feeling.

Thanks for everything.
    Posted 11 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm speechless. So sad. I'm very glad I was able to play this for a year at least. I bet you feel sick, Stoot and all the other wonderful folks in Tiny Speck. In a sense, you just lost a child. (((Hugs)))

Edit: It's sinking in and now I have tears in my eyes. Glitch has been such a lovely escape from health problems and a stressful job search. I will really, really miss this game. Thank you so much for a year of great fun and lovely memories.
    Posted 11 years ago by Lucille Ball Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Just like many other have said-

Thanks for giving me the chance to be a part of the community. It is funny because I do not remember requesting an invite to the game...but one day a few months ago I got an email that my request was granted. Since then, I have played every day.

The game was a way for me to relax after a hard day at work. It was an escape. I enjoyed all of the beautiful individuals that I interacted with.

I felt at home when I played glitch. It made me happy. I would like to thank every single one of you (including staff) for being a part of this.
    Posted 11 years ago by Pelon7724 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This game has helped me through some hard times over the past year-and-a-half. Thank you, Tiny Speck, for giving me an amazing world to play in when the real one got too dark.
    Posted 11 years ago by scragz Subscriber! | Permalink
  • But...but...but....I just don't know what to say! It's been a year since I joined Glitch and I enjoyed every last minute! I made new friends and discovered a world of amazing creativity and I simply cannot believe it will soon be no more...I am really sad...Life goes on, though! I wish all of you a prosperous future, and who knows....we might even find each other yet again at some point...somewhere else...
    It has been great knowing you! You all made Glitch the incredible experience it is!
    Posted 11 years ago by Snarlo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's only recently that I've been interested in developing games, and even more recently that I started Glitch. But I know that I want to make games that are like this, because something like Glitch shows us how powerful a game can be, how deeply they can truly touch us.

I'm going to miss the things that Glitch gave to me, a source of daily comfort, an area to spruce up my home the way I want my own apartment to look, and the people. That's why this game was made, right? To bring people together in a way that isn't about proving who's best (not to say that can't be fun), but to make friends on our own terms and create a world that we can truly call ours.

I'd like to imagine that the Giants are a group of friends that met under circumstances like we've met each other. And although they're not the most cohesive group, there's still something there that keeps them together that they'll never forget. I know that I won't be forgetting Glitch, and I also know I'm not alone.

Let's do what the Giants did and create worlds.
    Posted 11 years ago by Zinfandale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You were not tiny to me, and many others, Dear Speck. I wish the staff and everyone well, wherever you go!
    Posted 11 years ago by Kanamine Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Keeping it short;  I've had a troubled couple of years, what with moving to a new country and more recently the loss of my dad, but through most of it Glitch has been there with its base of crazy, (mostly) lovable players and its insane world.  The community and the customer support are beyond comparison, like nothing I've ever experienced before with a -company-, let alone an online game.

Devastated.

I've met people through Glitch that I would never have met otherwise and I consider myself honoured to have been a part of something that went so against the grain of 'society's' idea of a game.  No blood, no gore, just a peculiarly perverted, delightfully delicious, big-fat-pudding of increasingly wonderful ideas.

So long, Glitch, and thanks for all the memories.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kochanski Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Dear Glitch, dear devs, dear friends and fellow players -
    I love this place and love you all. Thank you so much for being here. It's so sad it's ending, but it was worth it.

I'm going to have to try to finish some songs very quickly, aren't I?

TL xx
    Posted 11 years ago by Theremina Lute Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for the amazing time and friendship xxx
    Posted 11 years ago by Atlantis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you Tiny Speck for producing a game that had me hooked from day 1.  I have loved playing and being part of the community and will miss it a lot.
    It is very sad that the game cannot go forward and I can't begin to imagine how all the staff must feel... this is their baby and their ideas and art etc.  A very talented bunch it has to be said, with a rather strange sense of humour!!!
    Goodbye Glitch... Onwards and Upwards!
    Posted 11 years ago by Latajea Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you all for, well, just everything. I've said it before and sadly I now say it again:
    Be well; love you all.
    Posted 11 years ago by Eleanor Rigby Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Stoot and TS..thank you SO much for a fabulous game that has give me many hours/day of fun!!! You didn't let us down, you gave us an incredible Gift.

My refund amount was meager, tough times here, BUT I rejected it to have it go to TS! Just wish I could have given more.

Best of wishes to all of TS for the future and a hope many will sign up for the FB group in that forum thread.
    Posted 11 years ago by Anya Karenya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh my god, this is the saddest thing ever. I know I'm only adding onto the train here, but I wanted to say it anyway:

Thank you to every last staffer who's worked so hard and put so much time and effort into this game. Thank you to all the players who've helped to shape the world we got to play in. Thank you for letting me join you, for no matter how short these past few months have been.

Thank you, Tiny Speck, for one of the only companies I've ever known to actually listen to what their userbase had to say (the only other being dreamwidth) and for providing all of us with a fun, intensely amazing game. I'll admit that I totally joined on a lark, but got so totally sucked in and invested that I started signing on every day. Look what you guys did to my productivity, you dern rascals!!!

But it was fun, it was creative, and most importantly, it was different. Nothing else in recent times has kept me coming back for so long. It's mortifying to think that it's going to end. Glitch provided me with a good place to go to when I was having fights with friends and family, when nothing was going right at home, and when I was in some dark places. I'm really going to miss it.

Thank you for being amazing, thank you for interacting with your users, and thank you for everything. I'm on the West Coast, so I'm PST - I don't know about anyone else, but I'm going to be playing right up until the very end. You won't be rid of me, not until you force me to stop.

Good luck, Tiny Speckers. I hope I run into you again. I'd love to be a part of your userbase again.
    Posted 11 years ago by rayflo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love(d) that you got bonus points for helping people, so that if someone came along and started mining the same rock as you it was better for both of you. I love that you squeeze chickens and pet trees and sing to butterflies (squawk! ah! la!). I love the prime numbers and badges and story-telling patches. I loved that you can eat planks and bubbles and game cards. I love saying 'hi' with the push of a key, and love even more that you can run away from the resulting hi-sign for achievements. I love the quests and the magic rock. I loved so much the Gold Hatted Bouncing High Jumping Memory Place and the Scion of Purple and.. and.. and... and now I'm crying too, as well as mangling my tenses. So much of what goes on in Glitch reminds me that I'm not the only one with an obscure and somewhat perverse sense of humor.  It's been a haven and a delight, and I'm going to miss it terribly. It goes to eleven, and then some.  Thank you, Tiny Speck, for all and everything.
    Posted 11 years ago by Cithra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • this is one good thing i don't want to come to an end. have enjoyed playing and being part of the community. sad times. take care all of you Glitchens!
    Posted 11 years ago by Lady Snow Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you Tiny Speck for the last year and a bit - it's been amazing. So sad to see you go - will play my heart out til the last second. 

Best of luck for your all futures.
    Posted 11 years ago by Drysfa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i will miss this game so much. i don't want it to go away! i feel like i just got started. :(
    Posted 11 years ago by porcelina Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My heart is broken. There is no way for me to express how much I love Glitch and Tiny Speck.

Thank you.
    Posted 11 years ago by Piratice Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Dear TS ...... I have no words to express my gratitude to the team. I had many fun hours in this game and had so many lovely friends. I will miss them like crazy. I will miss my home, my animals, trees and even my rocks, but the most i will miss the people. There is no other game with a comunity simular to this one, it's so unique. Thank you that I was allowed to be part of it. I feel so sad (never thought it would hit me like it does) I am crying, I mourn ...

Thanks my sweet TS
    Hugs for the team, I hope you all find the jobs you want and deserve.
    May all your wishes come through for the next year, you wonderfull bunch of people :)
    Posted 11 years ago by LolaPop Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I know i'm just adding to the list but I also wanted to say how wonderful my time spent in Ur has been. I have been amazed by the amount of creativity, not just from the Devs but also from my fellow players, in the home streets, the parties (ohhh, the parties), the quests, the player-led contests, meetings in Cebarkul... And now I'm crying because it will leave a huge hole in my heart and a void where I have always had Glitch to escape to. 

Thank you so so much TS for all the amazing effort you put into this game, you have raised the bar not just for style, wit and content but for your interactions with your players and your ability to reach into our hearts.

I will play until the end and am looking forward to seeing everything that is left, again I would love to opt out of the refund, you have delivered more than enough value for money for me!
    Posted 11 years ago by Jendaline Subscriber! | Permalink
  • TS, thank you so, so much for this beautiful game. You worked so hard and I hope you know how appreciated it is that you would go through all this work for us. Thank you for providing a stress-free environment that was addicting and relaxing at the same time. I swear this game came around when I was beginning to forget how to relax, and it helped ground me.

I really hope whatever happens next for you is profitable and maintainable and something that you enjoyed even more than you did Glitch so you can keep going for as long as you want. Your loyal followers want nothing more than your success! Please keep trying!

<3
    Posted 11 years ago by TheAly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is the greatest game I have ever played, and everyone who worked on it should be super proud. The audience wasn't there I guess, which is sad and terrible and double-plus-bad, but that shouldn't ever take from what was made.

Magic was made.

I haven't been able to actively play for a few months now, because my computer broke and my netbook is just painfully painfully slow to play on, but I checked for updates every day, two or three times a day at least. That's how much I like it. Like I said, magic.
    Posted 11 years ago by Biohazard Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I know a lot of you guys have had a few hrs to process this information...For me I have just woke up..First thing I do in the morning is log into glitch with my coffee...I am so sad..too sad to even try and say anything comforting to anyone yet...But I do know that Stoot and ALL the staff must be feeling a million times worse than I do right now..I'm really sorry guys and to all the glitch staff & players..and all the friends I've made here...Thank you... I am going to miss this game and all of you so much ... :(
    Posted 11 years ago by Cryztal Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm so sad. D: I'm disabled and jobless and thus hadn't been able to buy a subscription like I wanted to, but I really loved this game. Though not playing it as obsessively lately as I did earlier in the year, I still loved signing in. Being in Ur and being my glitchen self and caring for my piggies and using the awesome house I made for myself all brought me so much joy. I loved traveling around the world, discovering new things, and interacting with my friends. I'm so sad that this beautiful world will disappear.

Good night, Groddle. :( :( :( :(
    Posted 11 years ago by Touya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • NO NO NO NON NON NON NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONOONIONON!!!!!!!
    I'M CRYING BECAUSE I WILL MISS THIS GAME SO utterly AND COMPLETELEY. Oops caps lock.  I LOBE this game so much my heart feels like its break in  to a 10003 pieces. I will never forget Glitch and the most amazing game ever created by man. Tiny Speck I will miss playing the game you worked so hard to make. I'm so devastated  to learn that the game that made me laugh,  challenge myself, and make me feel like I truly belong with all the most amazing people in Glitch, is shutting down.  I loved traveling, witching and I was just finishing my tower D: I will never EVER forget Glitch. This has been like another home to me. So Thank You Tiny Speck for this unforgettable game. It maybe preposterous, but I rather like it.
    Good night, Groddle!  
    Posted 11 years ago by Misty Power Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Everything's already been said, and much better than I could say it. I'm relatively new to this game but was preeeetty much fully addicted. Good luck to the Tiny Speck team, and all the best for your futures. 
    Posted 11 years ago by indimuse Subscriber! | Permalink
  • :(
    Posted 11 years ago by Wrong Way Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've been here since September 2011, near the start of beta, not too many months after the servers went live full-time. I've been a subscriber for most of that time. And over that year-and-change, Glitch has filled a hole in my life that I hadn't even realised was there before. Now the hole is all that will remain, and I am sad.
    Posted 11 years ago by Ninetailed Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have no words :(
    Posted 11 years ago by Zoi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ive been playing for a year and I love this game! Im going to miss everything sooo much! who will feed my piggys? my trees will wither and die :( Ill never get to trade with the rube again! and i now cant get the glithmas yeti :(  But ive had so much fun with feats! I dont want it to end,this news is terribly sad. I have a hole in my heart for glitch that will never be filled.
    Thankyou for the fun x
    Posted 11 years ago by Trinity x Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Why didn't you guys mention this earlier? I'd have loved to buy a subscription just to keep things running..

I can't believe how sudden this is. :(

When you say 'the limits pushed back', what do you mean?
    Posted 11 years ago by Princess Sarah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had never played an MMO before. I don't have a Facebook account. I heard about this on Dreamwidth several months ago, sent my "plz send me invite" note, and promptly forgot about it until I receive my invite, about two months ago.

Couldn't remember what it was. Looked cute, though, so I signed up. I realized, "hey, this was that game where you get to name the critters." The badges were weird and fascinating... I've never played anything with achievements before. Before I noticed it, I had my "11 hours straight" achievement. I think I'd explored most of Tamila and half of Muufo before I realized I had a house.

Then I met the people. In global chat, and in our Dreamwidth group, and out in the streets of UR. And everyone was *wonderful.* Tolerance, humor, help and advice, squee over the gorgeous artwork and surreal worldbuilding. And during the feats, incredible support and community... everyone wanted to make the goals, and they helped anyone from total newbies ("here's how you donate and then do the quest to get the conch so you can play along") to seasoned glitches who were just jumping back in after a long break.

I'm downloading my snaps. Every time I get to the Autumn Day snap, I start to cry.

I can say this: Thirty years from now, I will remember happily milking butterflies (named Clark, Bruce, and Diana) and throwing crystals into shrines to fight off rooks. I will be saying "This game is absolutely preposterous!" at random moments, and hoping someone replies "I agree wholeheartedly!" I will probably be able to recite the names of the giants and their areas of influence.

In two months, this game has embedded itself in how I look at life. Glitch will be a sweetness, a delight, I carry with me forever.

Thank you, Tiny Speck, for not compromising on the art and social focus of the game--it might've been more successful with ads, with forced competition, with some skills and equipment only available to paid players. Instead, we got an absolutely lovely game that will sing in our hearts, even though it wasn't commercially viable enough to survive.

And yet, I kinda like it.
    Posted 11 years ago by Eris Lord Freedom Subscriber! | Permalink
  • 18 months of the best game ever. I'm heartbroken. 
    But thank you!
    Posted 11 years ago by Zira Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you, TS, for everything. I'm surprised by how hard this is hitting me. Thank you for the sleepless hours I've spent trying to find all of the secrets of Ur and for the incredibly awesome people I've met. Thank you for renewing my faith in people and for showing me everywhere on the internet isn't full of trolls and jerks. I hope that all of you at TS move on to something as equally amazing and that all of you know how grateful all of us are.
    Posted 11 years ago by hanalu Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 25 26