Topic

Staff Topic

The official shutdown thread …

Glitch is closing. The details are here: www.glitch.com/closing/

We will do our best to answer everyone's questions (but please take a moment to read the announcement and FAQ before jumping in). Information on refunds is here: www.glitch.com/closing/refu...

Over the next few weeks we'll going to be releasing all kinds of things that were saved for later, nearly-done, previously-shelved or are in various states of design. We will do our best to help everyone get the most of the time which remains — you've all been given (or will shortly be given) 2,500 credits and a free subscription.

New signups and payments are now closed.

I feel sick.

[Edited to add, a few hours later]: I feel much better. Thank you everyone, for all the love! Amazing, beautiful and touching.

Posted 11 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 25 26
  • This has been SO much more than "just a game" to me. So sorry to all you staff. ((((((hugs))))))) and HUGE mojo that new jobs come along very soon.

LOADS of ((((hugs))))) to fellow Glitchen. I am so honoured to meet so many.  

So very very sad.
    Posted 11 years ago by Bluebunny Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh wow... I joined yesterday... And now, signups are closed and the game is ending.
    Who would have thought... and I was just starting to get into this. I'm sorry to all of you who invested so much time, energy, and hope into this project only to see it fall. I can't imagine the feeling.
    Posted 11 years ago by Aviarei Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well, I suppose there's no point in trying to hoard a full SDB of everything.
    Posted 11 years ago by dm Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Dear Tiny Speck,

Thank you for a uniquely beautiful, wonderfully imaginative game^H^H^H^H(*) experience.
    Posted 11 years ago by Miri Tazapin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • man i thought this was a joke at first
    i thought glitch was doing really well
    i loved this game even though i joined a month ago
    theres no other game like it
    this makes me sad :(
    if you guys ever release a new game, tell me!
    Posted 11 years ago by menthia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Glitch was a beautiful part of my life for quite some time! Wish you all the best in future endeavours! Good karma will return for what you have created ;)
    Posted 11 years ago by mothnode Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm so heartbroken right now. Glitch has been such a joy to play for the past few months and the community has always been so welcoming. I could try and list every thing I loved about Glitch, but I would seriously never end.

Thank you so much for letting us share this experience, however long or short-lived it may have been. Thank you to all the staff and community alike for making Glitch such a wonderful little game. I'm going to miss it so much.

Best of luck to everyone, especially you TS guys. And thanks again.

<3
    Posted 11 years ago by Lluvia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have played a lot of MMOs.
    Tiny Speck nurtured the most positive, accepting, welcoming, and supportive community I've ever encountered.
    I am heartbroken that Glitch needs to end, but I am reminding myself that the time was like a gift, and I am fortunate to have been one of the lucky few who got to enjoy it.
    Posted 11 years ago by Auspex Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm so incredibly saddened by this news.  Glitch has been one of the best games I have ever played, with one of the best communities.  Thank you to the staff for making it and encouraging the type of community it fosters, and thank you to everyone who has been a fantastic part of the community.

I hope you one day make another game.  I will be there in an instant.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kadi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks to all of you. I never played nor wanted to play an MMO before this. You created a really beautiful world - not just aesthetically, but in the community of kindness and friendliness that you fostered. I may not have been able to enjoy this game for as long as I wanted to, but I have already gotten out more from it than I could ever return. Good luck to all you wonderful, wonderful people. :) Thank you for handling this sad event with grace and kindness to us as well.
    Posted 11 years ago by Zombee-bee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • First of all: Thank you for this world, and every last detail in it.

Second of all: My heart is breaking for all of you at Tiny Speck. I honestly have tears in my eyes, because this was a special and great game, and I love it very much.

Thirdly: Please don't refund my most recent subscription payment. I want you to keep it.
    Posted 11 years ago by Wellsie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A little surprised at myself that this news hurts so much - I'm shocked.   Thanks for the good times staff and everyone <3
    Posted 11 years ago by Sondi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just had to break the news to my mom over the phone. Glitch is her most favorite game ever. It was all she talked about since I invited her. I will doubly miss watching how much enjoyment she got out of it.
    Posted 11 years ago by ZenMonkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm truly sorry this didn't work out for you Stoot et. al.
    Posted 11 years ago by Stormy Weather Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh TS! This is the best game I've played in a long long time, the best players I've ever never met ;) (especially elf and flask and JNNX and  well everyone), and the best world ever. I sincerely hope that a Glitchmas Miracle is found. ...(so uh, everyone get lottery tickets? kickstarter? ads in the browser? email Stephen Colbert?)

*goes off to cry*
    Posted 11 years ago by Cimm Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lay your picks and scrapers down,
    Catch the fading evenlight...

BAWWWWW
    Posted 11 years ago by Meromorphic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm sad to hear this game is shutting down.

But I'm also angry at the reason. "Glitch has not attracted an audience large enough to sustain itself and based on a long period of experimentation and our best estimates, it seems unlikely that it ever would"

Glitch spent an extraordinarily long time in Beta, with no ability for new players to join. And now, TS is saying it's shutting down because of lack of audience attraction? I think there's a cause-and-effect occurring that TS forgot about.

That, and I happen to remember a  particular thread  where I commented on the unlaunching, and I remember a certian member saying "Getting more money from people right now is not our priority; making an awesome game is."

and unfortunately, TS discovered that getting more money from people should have been a priority.

I'll miss you, Tiny Speck. I'll miss you, Glitch.
    Posted 11 years ago by CleverCharacterName Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Dear my beloved devs,

You guys must feel terrible. I can think of a few ways you could try to soothe the pain, though:
      * Open source all the intellectual property that TS no longer needs - all the art and assets and words and stuff - so we can have a record of what happened here
       * Add dramatic play around the ending of the world - maybe we can collaborate with rooks to un-build streets together and make sure all the animals are freed beforehand
       * More visits from the giants
       * More little missives from GOD

As always so generously concerned about your emotional well-being,
    With love always,
    E
    Posted 11 years ago by EgIantine Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow, this is so sad to hear. My heart goes out to all the staff and lovely people who created this game. I had only just begun playing but Glitch was basically everything I have ever wanted out of a MMORPG. I wish I had discovered it sooner and had more time with it because it was (IS) lovely. 

Despite this sad end I hope everyone involved in Glitch knows that they created something truly amazing, and we all thank you for sharing it.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kashiyuka Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Can we make a staff made, pinned, Contact thread? Twitters? Etc? :(
    Posted 11 years ago by Kurtie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Farewell Glitches
    my love follows you
    You Will Be Missed.

Stunned does not describe how I feel...I'm sure Stoot and Company are stunned and devastated as well...take care TinySpeckers...and...should you find a way ~ someday ~ I will return, and let us know if you have other games in the pipe after this...whatever you guys do will be wonderful I know...I appreciate the chance I had to be a part of this unique game.

Thank You.
    Posted 11 years ago by Firestone1960 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • will you start working on another website?? tell me what i want to hear.
    Posted 11 years ago by total.rebel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I agree with all from Eglantine! Especially unbuilding, I will sob while doing it, but :c I never got to street build, I guess it would be fitting, with the new load screen.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kurtie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ive only been playing a month and I absolutely love this game. It ticks every single box of things that I love in a game. There is nothing else like it and I don't think there ever will be. I really cant express how sad this makes me. 

I feel gutted so I can only imagine how much more heart wrenching it must be to Tiny Speck to have to walk away from it.

All I can say at this point is thank you for giving what you did. No matter how fleeting it was for me it was worth it.
    Posted 11 years ago by Bryluen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have not read anything else posted here yet by anyone else, but I need to have my say here.

I am incredibly sad that Glitch is ending.  I have not had so much fun with an MMO in a very very very very long time.  Stoot and the whole TS crew have done a very wonderful job.  This past year I enjoyed playing a game run by people who had a sense of humor and admitted that they were fallible, unlike other game companies, small or large.

There have been many instances over the past year that I've said that you'd not see the honest and generous behaviors displayed by TS in any other game company.  Giving us our money back is one.  Most game would only refund up to a certain time frame (maybe 30 days) and even when my son's favorite game closed, they still sold premium memberships right up until the last month (for a discount).  When I saw the announcement, I was prepared to make sure my subscription for this month was canceled, but I never expected to get my money back for the month that I paid for, as I've used and enjoyed my credits.  I had only hoped to get the extra 400 that I would have gotten at release.  I was shocked to find myself on an automatic refund.  I might also add that this is the first time I have ever paid money for an MMO premium.  It only saddens me that I was only able to just recently afford one and only had but one month to enjoy it.  But believe me, enjoy it I did.

I know we all made a big fuss about the invitation feat, but if I'd known that you needed more of a userbase, I'd have tried to make more of my friends at least try the game.  I'm sure if they tried it, they'd have liked it, but they're all FB addicts.  I really liked it when functionality was added so I could share my snaps and achievements on FB, hoping to lure someone in that way.  When I think back to all the conversations I've seen and been in talking about the game possibly losing its close knit community feel and being ruined by the prospect of release and open registration (either jokingly or seriously), I feel a profound sadness that maybe we are to blame because we were too selfish to share such a great game.

I worried about the fact that Flash was seemingly dying and the future of the game as a result.  I had hoped that I was worried for nothing.

One last thing... 

"For many of us at Tiny Speck, the creation of something like Glitch was a long-held dream. There's no better word than "heartbreaking" to describe what it feels like to have to do this. And we know that for many of you who poured your creativity, energy and imagination into Glitch and the community, it will be heartbreaking as well. We are sorry to have let you down."

You didn't let us down.  You gave us a year (or more depending on when you joined) of the most awesome game ever created and showed a lot of us that it was possible to run and game and not be an dead corporate entity at the same time.  If anything, I feel we let you down.  Thank you for everything!

And please create a mailing list or something so we can sign up to get first dibs on whatever you come up with next. ^_^  I wanna be in the alpha of Glitch II.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kaelyn Renai Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I liked taking snaps on Glitch since the art is so beautiful ):
    I'm going to miss this game very, very much...

Thank you guys for creating this wonderful game and having one of the nicest community of people.
    Posted 11 years ago by Thousand Sunny Subscriber! | Permalink
  • as a business owner myself, i know these decisions are not easy to make. especially when employees are affected. good luck to all the job hunters, imaging lots of light for you all. thanks for the countless hours of fun, you're all very talented and i know you'll find financial success with your upcoming ideas!
    Posted 11 years ago by Zudora Subscriber! | Permalink
  • thank you Stoot & your amazing employees for creating an awesome game.... today is a very sad day, I will truly miss this game & all the wonderful ppl that I have had the pleasure of meeting here.... :(
    Posted 11 years ago by Purplemajick Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I still want a Glitch t-shirt, so nyah.
    Posted 11 years ago by ☣ elf ☣ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i looked at the calendar hoping for a glitch april fool's day but...alas :(

i only started playing about a month or so ago, which is to say enough time to become completely immersed and finally at a point to do things i wanted like build a tower, buy a subscription, finish collections, etc and now...poof.

all i can really say is, this sucks. and don't you know it.

<3
    Posted 11 years ago by jerk nugget Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't mean to sound selfish, but is there any way to reduce the time it takes to learn new skills? Free credits are awesome and such a kind gesture, but I know I can't be the only one incredibly saddened and disappointed that I couldn't accomplish X and won't be able to now. I'd love a chance to get my last desired exploration achievement and expand my house.
    Posted 11 years ago by Asazi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • From the bottom of my heart Tiny Speck, thank you so much for your hard work and creativity. For many of us, Glitch was more than just a game, and you should definitely feel proud for the community that you've created here.

That being said, I can't wait to see what y'all will come up with next.
    Posted 11 years ago by Shadowstrike Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This game helped me through a really rough patch in my life by being creative, fun, and not at all stressful.  Glitch made no demands on me and let me do anything I wanted to while still pushing me to try more.  There's so much creativity and love in every corner of Glitch, and the staff and playerbase have been so excellent to me.  This is the only gaming community I've found where so much revolves around being nice to each other, and that means so much more than I could ever verbalize, even if I had months or years to try.  So, since this is goodbye: thank you.  Thank you so much for what you've given me, and I'm so sorry to see Glitch go.

I love this place, and I love this game.  But more than that, I love everyone who's worked on this, who dreamed this into existence and made this what it is.
    Posted 11 years ago by Tryvalen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for such a wonderful experience!  Although I have a Moly account, I have always felt that this Game is a Gift.  I have "walked" softly having come here from another failed MMO.  There must somehow be a place for a successful non-violent MMO for adults.  Perhaps you will discover that in the future.  I am reaching a point where I will soon be technically challenged due to lack of resources but that will be my problem.  I had hoped Glitch would last for many years.  Tablets and Clouds seem to be taking over.  Soon, it seems, there will be no place for keyboards and mice.  No place for me.  I hope though that there will always be a place for the talented creators and Staff of Tiny Speck!
    Posted 11 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sad beyond belief. This is a great game and the cooperative community building approach was a refreshing break from the competitive "kill every one and each other" push of most games. Thanks to the devs for all their hard work and putting up with our moaning and complaining. Good luck to every one there at Tiny Speck and hope you all land well.
    Posted 11 years ago by Leelah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Noo! Oh no! How will I goof off or destress now? :(
    Posted 11 years ago by Troy McClure Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've so enjoyed this game. There is nothing else, has been nothing else, like it out there. Tiny Speck, you guys and gals created something special, something that had heart and joy. Thank you thank you thank you for sharing it with us.
    Posted 11 years ago by buddhakitty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Serious bummer. First on-line game I've seen that I really liked -- and I've been in the computer biz since 1977. This was an amazing game -- thank you for the great fun, brief as it's been. :-(
    Posted 11 years ago by Scooter ModLibber Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is truely the most amazing community of people I have ever been a part of. That is all I will say. I am losing my mind.
    Posted 11 years ago by Osiris χ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for the year+ I've enjoyed the game.  I really love it's whimsy and I'm sad to see it go.  If more games had the originality of Glitch the world would be a better place. :)
    I'm so sorry it didn't work out and I wish you all the best.  <3
    Posted 11 years ago by Gunner T. Bean Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm...I can't...just...

actual tears
    Posted 11 years ago by Csophae Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I also have to add that I came to Glitch at the end of September last year when I was having a major crisis, and playing this game has helped me a lot. Now, I feel like I'm lost again-there are no other games like this.
    Posted 11 years ago by Alyx Sands Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am new, but earlier today I was playing and one of the giants appeared on my screen, and told me that it was sorry and that it loved me very much. Did it have anything to do with this? :(
    Posted 11 years ago by Aviarei Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you all. It was an amazing time and I'll not forget this game anytime soon. Now to drown my sorrows...
    Posted 11 years ago by Phinneas Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I received an email about needing greeters to log in to greet players just 3 days ago. I have been away from the game for a while due to physical world things that have needed my focus. My plan was to return after a much needed vacation over the Thanksgiving holiday. 

After what has been a personally challenging day in a personally challenging week, month and year, I took a few minutes to log in and saw the notice about the "Unimagining" of Glitch. I wanted to believe it was a joke, but knew in my heart of hearts that the love, care and dedication to the on-going Imagining of Glitch would never be minimized by what would have amounted to a cruel and cruddy joke.

While little ever renders me speechless (or wordless), I am, without a doubt, heartsick and a bit lost.

Glitch has been so many awesome moments - more than I can express or would in such a thread. It was a place where my whimsical self could roam free and help the world evolve. It was a place where I met some people who have become very near and dear physical world friends whom I will always cherish. It is a community where many of us contributed time to help TS work through design challenges and create concepts that we have been able to explore, expand and reimagine. And it's a place where I had the opportunity to once again marry the real love of my life, known across the internet as g33kguy in a fun and frivolous ceremony attended by many Betans and officiated by my dear friend jasbo at the Church of Baby Steppes on the 19th of Widdershins, Year 16.

I am sad but I am thankful for every moment I have spent here. I am sad but I am happy to have had this opportunity. Not one moment regretted. Not one conversation a waste. Every single moment - from the silly to the sublime - was worth the time and energy spent here.

Thanks to TS, I have beautiful remembrances in my physical world of what was created here, including my zombie panda and friends from kukubee. I also have so many awesome memories that can never be "Unimagined" even once Ur is no more.

Tiny Speckers all - you created a virtual world that reached into my physical world and filled it with moments of childlike wonder, awe and joy as I explored the reaches of Ur. You gave me a sanctuary from the physical world and moments of abandon that was unfettered by the pains of real life. You introduced me to new friends and new opportunities because of your tireless commitment to the dream. I promise you that in me, it will never die. I will always take a piece of Ur with me wherever I go.

I will spend the time I have remaining in Ur sharing #geeklove with all Glitchen I encounter. And, in those final moments, I will for one last time, gather in my home with g33kguy, holding hands as the final Goodnight Groddle plays. As we did at the end of every beta test cycle, and as we want to pay tribute to what has been a remarkable time in our online lives together.

Best wishes, Tiny Speckers. May the winds of good fortune carry you forward and propel you further than you can yet imagine.

g33kgurrl
    Posted 11 years ago by g33kgurrl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is so, so sad.

It's been a good year, and I'm really sorry this is happening.

:(
    Posted 11 years ago by Randomling Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Everytime i find a unique non-murderous intelligent game that I can actually begin to enjoy and play with my son it bloody well shuts down! I can't be the only person in the world who finds games like "Call of Duty" (spits the words out like poison) to be games that have a sole focus on producing social psychopaths and which normalise murder and violence. And yet it is a game that sells- a game that keeps bringing out sequels and making more money. Why?

Yet again I have to say goodbye to a decent intelligent game which promotes kindness to others and decency while watching demoralising shooter games continue to make their brainless designers richer.

I think the designers behind this game were truely talented and some of the ideas within this game were pure genius. I wish the world wasn't run by money and profit profit profit, maybe then this game would have stood a chance.
    This will be the last time I will be putting any effort or time into a game cause I can't watch all my achievements disappear without a trace again. It's happened before and I thought Glitch would be different, with someone like Stuart at the wheel I thought it was a ship that couldn't possibly sink. If even Glitch, with all the high-profile people working on it, can't sustain enough interest from all those dumb morons out there hitting x x x x repeatedly so that they can add more and more blood to their kill total then what hope does other decent games have?
    I don't mean to offend anyone out there who plays call of duty (or maybe i do) but I'm just so angry and fed-up and sick to death of constantly having to say goodbye forever to quality while the trash remains.
    Posted 11 years ago by Talia True Subscriber! | Permalink
  • To all at TS thank you for all you did for the game.It was so enjoyable and to all the people on my friends list. "BYE" and it was fun even though I didn't really know most of you for real..Have wonderful holidays and hope to see all of you in another game somewhere..This is such a sad time for all of us..
    Posted 11 years ago by mudspots Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am so sad! When a friend told me I honestly thought he was joking. I am in shock and just don't want to see this game close down.
    I have only been here for a little over 6 months and considered myself to be casual but it honestly was one of the best MMOs I have played. So thank you!
    Posted 11 years ago by Laughter Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Of all the games I've seen close, losing this one is the most heart-wrenching.  TS, you guys did an awesome job creating a colorful, wacky, weird, and wonderful world.  ;-;  I will miss it dearly.
    Posted 11 years ago by Akira Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 25 26