Topic

Staff Topic

The official shutdown thread …

Glitch is closing. The details are here: www.glitch.com/closing/

We will do our best to answer everyone's questions (but please take a moment to read the announcement and FAQ before jumping in). Information on refunds is here: www.glitch.com/closing/refu...

Over the next few weeks we'll going to be releasing all kinds of things that were saved for later, nearly-done, previously-shelved or are in various states of design. We will do our best to help everyone get the most of the time which remains — you've all been given (or will shortly be given) 2,500 credits and a free subscription.

New signups and payments are now closed.

I feel sick.

[Edited to add, a few hours later]: I feel much better. Thank you everyone, for all the love! Amazing, beautiful and touching.

Posted 11 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 25 26
  • Thanks for all your hard work, I've really enjoyed Glitch. I'm very sad to see it go. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Rusty the Sismanaut Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I haven't been here long, but I just wanted to say thanks for creating something truly special and enjoyable. This past month and a half has been a real pleasure, thank you for creating this place, I'll be sad to see it go.
    Posted 11 years ago by Sapping Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Such extreme sadness! I had just purchased a subscription and was looking forward to spending many quiet and happy hours wandering Ur, building, tending, giving, and laughing. My daughters love just sitting by my laptop as I play, asking what each of the piggies' names are, seeing what the next sand trap will deliver, looking out for the next Juju Bandit, and I was hoping one day they'd get their own Glitches so we could have a great time together in such a fun and imaginative world. I am literally crying about how the game might all end soon.

Still, I will hold out hope that some miracle will occur that lets Glitch carry on. If it does not, I offer my sincerest gratitude for one of the only games I've ever fallen in love with. Best of luck to everyone!
    Posted 11 years ago by Archibald T. Snap Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I can't concentrate at the office; I keep coming back to this thread to commiserate with everyone.

Oh, TS, thank you for this game. I'm so glad I got to play, even if it was just for about two months. For the first time, I was in a game where I felt accepted and free to become anyone, and I'm afraid it's going to be hard to find anything like it after this. I doubt it's possible.

It was also nice to bond with my brother through Glitch, as we live in different cities and don't see each other IRL very regularly. Now, I guess we'll just bond over memories of that time he gave me five piggies with threatening names.

Best wishes for the future, TS, and please keep us posted on what you come up with next.
    Posted 11 years ago by kalsangikid Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bereft.  Speechless and incapable of a message worthy of you, Tiny Speck and fellow glitches at this moment.  Perhaps later, when it's all sunk in...until then, a heartfelt thank you and much love. <3
    Posted 11 years ago by Christine Subscriber! | Permalink
  • dammit! Looks like history is repeating itself. It seems, sadly, that all the best ideas for gaming are just too hard. You've done a brilliant job TS and I thank you for that :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Hua Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh boy, I remember signing up for the beta before any solid details were even out about the game. 

I've poured a lot of hours into this game! Somehow I never succeeded in extracting a GNG block from my Beta pickle, though :P. I played with some of my real life friends and it became a great new way to communicate/hang out with them now that we're all busy in university. 

I'll miss Glitch very much! I had a bad habit of checking the forums everyday for new updates, so much so that just typing "g" in google chrome automatically enters "glitch.com/forum"

I'm kind of a poor student, so buying a couple months' subscription of Glitch was a nice splurge/reward for myself. But with all the fun I've had, I believe I've gotten my money's worth and I've elected to have TS keep it because they are one of the coolest game companies I've ever seen. Thanks for the fun! Good luck!! 
    Posted 11 years ago by Reneos Venture Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I will more than miss this game, to be honest i'll be mourning it. I've played a lot of games, and this one really, really is not anything like any of the rest! Its just so whimsical, and goofy, and well thought out, both players and staff are great. I really do feel like crying....again. Last but not least....to everyone....I LOBE YOU ALL!!!
    Posted 11 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am going to miss this game, thanks SO MUCH TS!
    Posted 11 years ago by scorekeeper Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm sorry, I don't have the heart to read through 8 pages, and I'm sure others have said (much better) anything I can say now.  I was fighting tears when I read the notice on opening page.  Fighting disbelief, hoping it was April Fools day somewhere in the world.  I thought of all the people who lost Faunasphere, and now to lose Glitch as well, is heartbreaking.
    But as hard as it is for the players, I know it is magnitudes harder and more painful for the creators.  You poured your hearts into this game, and I can only imagine the joy and excitement each new creation gave you.  I doubt anything will ever replace Glitch, and that's not only because of the creativity and uniqueness of the game, but really because of the way you all took an interest with the players, and communicated with us, played right along with is.
    I wish you all the very best, and hope the next project is every bit as rewarding for you as Glitch has been.
    Posted 11 years ago by Phoebe Springback Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I ..but... 

I haven't read all the well wishes and the sadness but I -did- read the faq of why and anger and couldn't you just ....?

One of my other games I play had this problem, lack of funds and server costs increasing, and rather than well, shut it down within two weeks, as they saw the problem approaching and the savings decreasing, they asked the player base for donations. Put up the cost of running the server per month, ~$40 a month, and asked people for donations. There's already a player base purchasing stuff from you (maybe not very much, but a little) and maybe people would be happy to donate via paypal or whatever. It might only be five dollars every other week or something that actually comes in but ... might that have been an option that was looked at and decided against on moral grounds? Not wanting to put already down on their luck, hard working people out of pocket when they weren't inclined to do so already?

I don't know, I'm just ... trying to help. Offer suggestions. If there are so many thousands of accounts, is it ..outside the realm of possibility?
    Posted 11 years ago by Dzeintra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Will you guys keep the files up so maybe one day there'd be a chance for this game to restart? This is really tragic :/. I hardly play this game but I do know it's AMAZING and the team behind it is one of the best I've ever seen.

How many players/funds exactly are you guys lacking?
    Posted 11 years ago by Fiyaflai Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for a year full of glee. Going to take the spirit of the game with me and try to make the outside world a little bit more Glitchy every day.
    Posted 11 years ago by Agnes Snatchflannel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If at all possible, I would love to receive updates of what TS is up to, just in case you crazy dreamers decide to try making another game. Hell, if you decide that what you need to do is change platform, I'll just have to find a way to follow you!

I'm really sad to see this game go. You did, indeed, create a crazy, beautiful game. You fostered a kind and generous community, which is on its own quite extraordinary. To do that while also pushing the boundries of gaming with a creative, open, non-violent world is just amazing.

Thank you for the time you've given us in Ur, for giving us a chance to love and be loved, a chance to create without fear and without boundries, and a chance to express ourselves freely. Glitch will be missed, but not forgotten, singing through our memories.
    Posted 11 years ago by Faranae Subscriber! | Permalink
  • When I started playing Glitch I loved it immediately.  I subscribed because I wanted to make sure the future was secure for tiny specks like Ella.  I am so sorry there's not enough money.  It is heartbreaking.  I would have subscribed at a higher level had there been one.  I wanted the game to be successful, we all did.  I hope you will all be OK. I will worry about you now forever.
    Posted 11 years ago by Andrasia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, Glitch. </3 Thank you for the most wonderful year and all the great memories. I'm so really sad to see this close. I've never loved a game as much as I have this one - loved it so much that I even applied for the designer position.

I'll see if I can help you guys find jobs. I know Robert Half has designer positions in their Technology division. I just.. I don't know what else to do. I'm going to miss all of this so much.
    Posted 11 years ago by Meebus Subscriber! | Permalink
  • TS, even though I've only been playing for about two months, I'm glad I could experience your world and this community. I am an aspiring game designer, and feel that games, especially online games, are a form of art. Glitch has shown me more about the potential of games than almost anything else has, and hopefully other game designers, and all of you, were able to experience this and pick out gems from your giant imaginations.
    Thank you.
    Posted 11 years ago by Daeldra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This news stunned me worse than any Rook at prime time as gotten. But really, thanks for letting us play around in the world. I met some nice funny folk and had a blast. TY all.
    Posted 11 years ago by Nitec Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This place quickly became a favorite haunt. I'm so very sad to see it go. I wish the creators success and joy in what they create.
    Posted 11 years ago by Owlburst Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So Sad!! And so abrupt!! I would have subscribed and I would have recruited more new glitches. I didn't know Ur was in danger. I took it for granted. :( Won't you do a survey and see how many of us would be willing to pay rather than lose Glitch forever? Shall we start a petition?
    Posted 11 years ago by applecat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Dang, didn't see this one coming. 

By design this is one of the few games I've seen that invoked a true sense of cooperation and unity within the player base and allow someone to be anything they wanted. I truly hope that this game's ideology of imagination stays with your other endeavors and that perhaps down the road we can reopen the world of Ur to more people. 

Thank you for all the wonderful times and let us never forget the Giants, cause if we remember them, then Ur by extension will live forever. 

Thanks again, Tiny Speck.  
    Posted 11 years ago by Elenius Subscriber! | Permalink
  • In shock. Sad. Bereft.  The quirky, delightful, incredibly imaginative world of Glitch got me over the loss of FS and through some hard times in RL. Can't imagine anything coming close to making up for losing Glitch. 

Thank you, TS folk for giving us this amazingly creative place to play and for allowing us to be part of an extraordinary community. I wish each and every one of you the very best. And I hope that our online paths will cross again one day...sooner rather than later. 

Posted 11 years ago by ElleD Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You guys, I was sitting here being sad about this and then I scrolled up and spotted the calendar. It's Doom 1st, and that's hilarious and terrible and sad. Mostly hilarious. The brutal heartbreaking irony made me laugh.
    Posted 11 years ago by Biohazard Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Actually... How much would it be to extend the closure date until Dec 21?
    Posted 11 years ago by Meebus Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This feels like FaunaSphere all over again, but worse.

I don't even know what to say.

Some of us came here after Big Fish Games pulled the rug out from under us. We were heartbroken, (and of us still are) to have been forced to leave our Fauna. When we found Glitch, we felt like we had a new home. Now you're kicking us out too.

I'm seriously trying to act like some sort of adult and not cry over pixels, but it's not going well.
    Even on FS, I'd never before found a community of people who I connected with so well. People like me, weird, geeky, diverse and..... I don't even know how best to describe it.

And now you're telling me this isn't home any more.

Dammit. Glitch is home.

It's home in a way my own hometown never was and the place I live isn't.

You're just taking it away because you never advertised enough.
    I never ONCE saw an ad for Glitch ANYWHERE online. You want interest? CREATE IT.

No, I'm not going to rant further than that. You are taking my home away again, and I am powerless to change that. A refund won't help my emotional state.
    Maybe chocolate and food that is horribly fattening will help for the next couple hours.
    But the hole you've created will always be there, and I don't think I'll try filling it again.
    Posted 11 years ago by Murri Subscriber! | Permalink
  • As a devoted player since alpha, this is incredibly sad news. Nevermind the game itself, but the culture and community and support that Tiny Speck created has been truly unique and an absolute paragon for other gaming and software companies to follow. Never before have I seen a company be SO responsive to and interactive with its users. It has truly felt like we were building this game WITH you instead of just being consumers of your amazing imaginations. It would be a shame for this shining example of a well run business to fade away, so I hope you and we will be able to preserve it for the history books.
    Posted 11 years ago by Jenllip Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It feels like I have slipped into an alternate dimension, where glitch was not supposed to exist, even after it seemed so popular... I can't believe it was not popular enough. I feel so terrible for not getting a moly subscription earlier, or trying to share glitch to whatever friends i had around me.. I don't have many friends at all, this is why I play glitch, or any great and wholesome online experience.. which is incredibly rare these days. I will so completely miss glitch, but again, alternate dimension.. this is not happening.. this is a dream.. wake up.. wake up..

agreeing with what murri said, you created such a home, such a beautiful home, for all of us. I feel so absolutely powerless as to be able to help reverse or even prolong the shut down, that trying to fill the hole that one can cause by creating beautiful things and then smashing them to bits.. is just wrong. It's wrong!
    Posted 11 years ago by LųĉĩđεşşΨ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • In Spirited Away, where Chihiro and Haku must part ways, Chihiro knows that she must not look back, and is to return to the real world, leaving all the crazyGlitchyadventurousonceinalifetime exprience behind - 
    but she will have those memories with her
    And the hope that one day, they might meet again.

I'd like to dedicate this Miyazaki classic, along with the ending theme, 
    "Always with Me いつも何度でも " to Tiny Speck, especially Stoot. 

It's been an out-of-this-world exciting journey. Thank you.
    *bows with teary eyes*
    Posted 11 years ago by Maruchan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Man, that's not good news to wake up to :( This is the first, and still only MMO I've ever played, purely because it was something so unique and wonderful. I don't play as much as I used to, but I loved playing through the alpha and beta stages, helped get me through an otherwise miserable time in RL.

Thanks to stoot and all the devs for making my world a little brighter
    Posted 11 years ago by andonida Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This game does (and will continue to) mean a lot to me. I always looked forward to playing the game whenever I could... it was a medium through which I could connect with my family.

I wish the entire team at TS good luck in the future. Thank you for making everything a little brighter.
    Posted 11 years ago by Frodo Alpha-Turkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't know if you're still reading these, Tiny Speck, but I just have to say this. Glitch came into my life at a very pivotal moment for me, almost a year ago. This game has been a safe haven, an inspiration, a community and a home for me. I've grown to love it so very deeply.  I don't think I can formulate the words to describe how much this community has meant to me. As much as I'm devastated that this is happening, and as much as I wish this could be changed, I'm also just infinitely grateful to all the staff and volunteers who kept it going for as long as it has. There really isn't anything more I can say than thank you. Thank you, thank you, from the bottom of my heart, thank you.  It's been a wild, wacky, amazing and thrilling ride. I wish you all the very very best in you future endeavors. I hope you all know that the world you created truly changed lives.

Thank you, Tiny Speck. I love you guys.
    Posted 11 years ago by Aurora Dellaterra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • And to think, I just found this game on a wiki ad within the last month... goodbye glitch... hope to see you again soon...
    Posted 11 years ago by Guider Subscriber! | Permalink
  • To all the lovely Staff,

Thank you for creating such a wonderful thing that has brought so much happiness to so many.

When I first began playing, it was because I am a huge fan of the LBP games. I loved the intricacy, the secrets, and how every tiny detail was considered. From the music to the textures and costumes and ironic jokes, everything was thought of.
    As I played Glitch, I took immense pleasure in each well written comment and description of objects, animals, sayings, quests, everything. 
    I was no longer playing a game, I was engaging in art. 

Glitch was such a refreshing escape from the challenges of everyday life, and offered me a getaway during my final year at university. Thank you. For a few hours I could forget everything and just fall into Ur, enjoying every rich detail.
    I sort of feel like a little part of me is dying, it's very odd.

We must remember that even though Ur is lost for now, we must still fight the Rook, or at least the idea of the Rook. Self doubt, fear, anxiety. I can imagine that as this project ends or is put on hold, or whatever happens that is happening, you will experience some of these "Rook Attacks". Band together, stay strong.

I am optimistic that Glitch will emerge again, maybe in some other form. I will remain a loyal fan of Tiny Speck.

Thank you all for your beautiful work and I feel proud to have been a part of it.

All my love,

Hilary
    Posted 11 years ago by Servant of Lem Subscriber! | Permalink
  • While this seems mildly late, would it be possible to actually still fund Glitch if enough money was poured into it before the closing date?
    Posted 11 years ago by Deerest Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've been playing for over a year now and through a thread on a forum I frequent, I helped get 200 people together and playing as a mini community, some of whom clearly became prominent figures in the glitchly community. I've been glad to see the way this game developed since I joined and I was glad to be able to help it last this long in some small way. It's sad to see it go but I hope something similar might be waiting just down the road. :) I feel sad for Stoot, I can't imagine what it's like to see a startup you poured so much into not work out--it wasn't for lack of trying! You guys did some great work on this game; it's one of a kind.
    Posted 11 years ago by Elizabeth Park-Fowl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is all I ever wanted from a game like this.
    It hits all my sweet spots. 
    I didn't have enough time here, only 4 months.

It was just starting to show up in my social networks this month too :c
    Posted 11 years ago by sextopus Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sadly.. Faunasphere all over again (not Glitch, just the loss)... no fault to TS..  sad to know there are not enough of us out there in the real world to make it last. :(
    Posted 11 years ago by Princess Fi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is absolutely heart breaking. *sad face* I have been a member since Beta, and I have loved being a member of this wonderful community. Glitch is such an unique game, so quirky... so much fun. I looked forward to new places, new quests, etc. It would literally make my day when something new came out. 

I will miss spending time with you guys!! I am actually getting teary eyed just by thinking about the quests I had completed, how I received my Butler, fighting off Rooks with everyone, completing Feats... how I purchased my first house at Groddle Meadow.

I doubt I will ever find something like this again. {Glitch has actually been one of the only games I ever supported financially, which goes to show how much I appreciated it}.

I will definitely hold an eye on your new projects, Tiny Speck. Maybe, one day you can bring back Glitch. The members here would do their best {and even beyond that} to be able to keep Glitch going. I suppose how many other have said, we would be willing to donate, to pay more. To bring more people into this game to keep it going. It might seem impossible, but anything is possible if you put your mind to it. :)
    Advertising is another way to bring more people in here. Not even as an add by Google (though that is a possibility also), there are plenty of creative ways to do it.

But anyway...

Thank you for this wonderful game and the amazing time I had here. I won't forget it.
    Love, Cocomoes~
    Posted 11 years ago by Cocomoes Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've been sitting here, trying to formulate a message to thank Tiny Speck and express how sad and disappointed I feel, but I believe the shortest message will be for the best.

Thank you, I will miss this game.
    Posted 11 years ago by Janun Harmaa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • :'(
    Posted 11 years ago by Vustom Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My heart hurts. It's silly, I know, for me to feel this way about some silly game on the interwebs, but... my heart hurts.

Thank you for the wonderful, imaginative time you gave me. It was... fun.
    Posted 11 years ago by Snickersnee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am so sad!!! After all the Teams hard work? How could this game not make it and 2nd life has UGH!! Throwing up a little. I'm going to miss playing several times a day, checking my home page, checking the forums. It was just reaching a higher plateau!! There is NOTHING OUT THERE FOR OUR GROUP TYPE of gamers, This is probably the only PC game I've paid for in ages.

I do appreciate the year I've had with you all and wish the TEAM the best!!
    I will be playing to the end! Till you cut the power to all the servers! and will pray that something will intervene and keep it from really happening. Hoping its just a cruel joke GOD has played upon us yet once again.
    Will keep you all in my mind and heart!! Please keep my email for your next adventure and call me up when you need help with the next BETA!!!
    Keep reticulating those splines!!! Love you all!!
    Posted 11 years ago by Happygirl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • BEST OF LUCK TO YOU TINYSPECK
    Posted 11 years ago by Rap Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Definitely not something I was expecting to see when browsing my feeds today.  =(

Thank you for everything, Tiny Speck.  Thank you for the best online community the Internet has ever seen.  Thank you for a game with no limits, where I could make my own choices and be celebrated for my weirdness, not judged for my differences.  Thank you for being a wonderful staff, willing to listen to our suggestions and quick to help when something cropped up.  Thank you for this moment, however fleeting.

"Almost forgot this feeling of comfort, stillness, and wonder."
    Posted 11 years ago by SieSie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Heartbreaking is really the word.  Like so many others, I've never played nor wanted to play another MMO.  I'm a relatively new player, but I've been playing in every spare minute for a month, because it is amazing and friendly and beautiful and charming and funny.  My partner and I talk to each other in Glitchisms. This game is wonderful and valuable and I will miss it so, so much.

I know it's too late to help, but I am also having the "WAIT I WOULD PAY MORE HOW MUCH CAN I PAY TO KEEP IT GOING" reaction.  And I'm feeling badly that I didn't buy a more expensive subscription.  But I am sure that by the time I subscribed, it was already too late- nor could a single subscription matter in the face of the scale you need.  Nevertheless, please don't refund my money.

I'm a computer professional, and I also want to say that I am really wildly impressed by the technical prowess displayed in Glitch.  You've created something socially amazing with really exciting technology.

I'm going to try to see as much of the world as possible before it's gone.

I'm crying.  I'm so sorry.

EDIT:  I forgot to say that the absolutely classy, friendly, gentle, and professional way that you TS, are handling this is the icing on the cake.  You are being so genuine and good about this that it is wonder and *also* makes it sadder.  I so much wish we all could have made it, and kept being a friendly, genuine community.
    Posted 11 years ago by freerangefatty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • After crying for almost an hour, I think I've calmed down a little...
    This is heartbreaking news for me. Glitch means more to me than I can put into words. It's a beautiful world, and it's home to me. I've made so many wonderful friends here, gone on so many adventures, spent many an hour peacefully gardening, and once upon a time, laughed and talked and mined in Ajaya days on end. I looked forward to the future... I loved to imagine years and years of Glitch to come, and to wonder what would come next. This comes as such a shock. Thank you, TS. You've made my life so much better. Glitch is beautiful. Thank you so much.
    Posted 11 years ago by Fernstream Subscriber! | Permalink
  • =( I'm so sad...
    Posted 11 years ago by Jackie Jones Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What if you were to make people buy the game like Minecraft? I would gladly give 20-30 dollars if it meant to keep the game going. Please...
    Posted 11 years ago by CHEZWHIZ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Aurora Dellaterra: We're reading everything! Impossible to respond to it all, but definitely reading. And ♥♥♥ing. Thank you :)

Maruchan, re  "In Spirited Away, where Chihiro and Haku must part ways, Chihiro knows that she must not look back, and is to return to the real world, leaving all the crazy Glitchyadventurousonceinalifetime exprience behind - / but she will have those memories with her. / And the hope that one day, they might meet again."

Yes, that's how I see it exactly!!
    Posted 11 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • why can minecraft and terraria survive and not glitch?  i love glitch so much more than both of these games. i'm legit upset over here, i have played this game for about...40 days and now it's just...gonna go away. worst news to wake up to.
    Posted 11 years ago by yashila Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 25 26