Topic

Play: Game of orbS

Ur has been taken over by the wicked jujus while we were away!
Your mission is to retrieve the stolen orbs and bring back imagination to the world...
Watch your step though, because time is short and jujus are everywhere!

PLAY Game of orbS

How to play (see a demo video here by Justin):
- Orbs spawn randomly across the map, retrieve as many as you can to get more points
- This is a survival mode, no end game and increased difficulty over time
- Each orb you pick gives you 13 seconds on your timer to find the next one, and spawns a new juju
- You're invincible while the orb power is on, which happens when you have over 10 seconds left
- Press E, R or T to use one of your orbs and reset the Timer
- Press 1, 2, 3, or 4 to use the power-ups
- Press Shift to engage the jetpack (when you have it that is...)
- Use the doors to go above the play line to have a break
- When the game is over, just get the next orb to start a new round

PS: This is HTML5, please try in different browsers if you can (firefox performs best for me)
It should be as smooth, if not smoother than the flash client, and looks like this
Also check out this test page to make sure your browser is compatible with websockets (for the leaderboard)
See details and replies on the other thread about tech and concepts
Have FUN

EDIT: I'm still looking for some video recording of this also ^^

Play as guest here

Posted 11 years ago by Lemo Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 Next
  • Okay, well I guess it's worth a try :)

There is now a link at the bottom (where the in-game inventory will appears) to open the donation thingie. It's based on an official widget from Paypal labs, which has a neat progress bar like indiegogo. Main difference is that we don't have to wait when the goal is reached, and it's not possible to go beyond it. So I won't be making actual profit other than getting better tools to develop games ^^

On the dev side, the power-ups, leaderboards, and switch to your own character are already working in some prototypes of mine in external project files. Once the ability to make a bigger project with the license is unlocked, all the new stuff should be quite fast to implement into the main game :]
  • I just went on today and noticed that global chat was gone. It said:

"Not Found
    The requested URL /shoutbox/shoutbox.php was not found on this server."

Is it like this for everyone, or is it just me? If it's just me, don't worry about it. I don't use global chat much.
    Posted 11 years ago by Nelnah Fish Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thx for the report Nelnah, I'm seeing the same thing from here
    Actually, the guy who made the chat (www.i-tchat.com) just replied to my mail from december yesterday, and he told me the next version should be available in plain english.
    He's probably doing some tests right now with the site then I guess ^^
  • Lemo, this is amazing. 
     I am wondering however about the sound files. I'm using Chrome and getting two tracks playing at the same time.  One a laid back loungey Groddle theme, and the other a sped-up  Benny Hillish horn piece. Hitting the volume control turns them both off.
    Posted 11 years ago by caley dunn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • No Chat available for me - says it's url not found (only in the chat not the game).

Game runs fine for me on Google Chrome :-)
    (Anyone attempting it on IE8 won't get it working as IE8 doesn't run html5)

Was gonna donate a couple $'s via paypal - sorry can't afford more, but min it'll let me donate is $5 and no way to change that... so...
    Posted 11 years ago by Vialdana Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @caley dunn
    Oh hey you're right, I didn't notice that before (I'm mostly testing on Firefox)
    Actually both musics (from game of crowns) always run at the same time, but one is supposed the be muted while the other is playing (well that happens in firefox at least)
    I'll have a look to do it differently for chrome later

@Vialdana
    Yeah sorry, both the chat and the donation thingie are third party stuff, and they are the two things I can't control just as I would like to...
    Regarding paypal, I can't setup a lower amount on my side either with this particular widget, I sent them a mail about this already. Maybe I'll switch to something else later, but this is the only one I could find so far, that is both easy to use, and with a progress bar, without having to set up a full project on indiegogo or others.
    And about the chat, well it's still half in french, but it seems to be back online just now ^^
  • I'm still getting that "URL not found" message on the global chat box. (in chrome though... if that helps)
    Posted 11 years ago by Sweet Stuff Ng Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Sweet Stuff Ng
    The guy from the chat told me he had some dns issues on the website,
    it should be much better and always available fro now on
    And the full english version of the chat should happen soon as well

@caley dunn
    Ok I changed the sound setup, with not only volume "muted", but also set to "zero",
    seems to do the trick for both browsers...
    Now you should hear just one track at a time in Chrome too :)

Also, we've just passed the worldwide count of Ten Thousand! Orbs, congrats everyone ^^
  • bump
  • Thx, actually I'm testing new stuff right now
    It takes some time because I constantly have to reorganize and simplify everything as I bump into the event limit of the free version, but I'll eventually manage to get everything running in the end (until I want to add other features again)
    Will release pretty soon
  • Okay new stuff!

- Play with your own character: you'll be redirected to Glitch login servers the first time you launch the game, then it's all yours
    - Power-ups: eat bubbles for super jumps, use planks near a juju to kick some a** and splank them off a platform, and activate shakers to relocate the next orb
    When you have one of each in your bags, you get to use the super power-up, aka The Bubble Jetpack
    - Leaderboards: get the best score around, it's already connected to your Glitch username
    I chose the number of orbs against the final img score for the board because it's less abstract in the end
    Also notice that your global img points now stack up after each run...keep those points coming, you could be using them quite soon, because all of this is to prepare the Next Thing

EDIT: hmm actually google app engine servers are kinda dead right now, so I'll upload later...
  • Better to upload later than not at all :)
  • Sounds awesome Lemo! I can't wait to get in there and start wacking some Juju butt!

Keep up the awesome work!
  • thx
    I think I'm gonna have a look for some other hosts, appspot tends to be annoying
    Hopefully we'll have all this up and running by the end of the week :]
  • After some testing here and there, I've opened an account at 000webhost, we'll see how it goes :]
    Game is now back live and updated with the new stuff!
  • Yeyy jetpacks!
    Posted 11 years ago by OMG BACON!! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah jetpack. Managed to get one already?
    I just cleaned the leaderboard a bit to keep everyone best score only
    Much cooler with all those names in the top 10 now ^^
  • Added GUEST accounts here as well as in Craft for folks out of Glitch or with tech issues
    Your score will appear as "Guest" in the Leaderboards (I may delete those if they're in the top 10)
    To play as guest just use the link I posted at the bottom of the OP
  • the leaderboard got multiple names again :P
    having only the best score for each player getting updated could be better
    Posted 11 years ago by Zean Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah I know right?!
    Actually I'm using a leaderboard API (from clay.io), and they don't have this filter for the moment
    Just did a manual clean, but the suggestion is on their way though ;)

Now how come I'm still #1?
    Come on guys 35 is really not that much xD
  • ah, so it's clay.io's fault >:(

i'm not even trying to do more, i'm waiting for someone to do more than 21 xD

ah i've a bug to report, while moving my glitch uses only 1 leg... it's like using only 3 frames instead of the full set
    Posted 11 years ago by Zean Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ah yes thx for the report, I had to simplify the animation code at some point to gain a line vs the free version limit
    But it wasn't working as expected apparently
    I reverted it to the original animation, it should be better now

Btw thanks to everyone as the funding campaign was successful
    I could afford the full Construct 2, and we're now running without development limits :]
  • Lemo, guest play fixes most of the problems (the sounds work, I can access Craft, the colors are SO much brighter without the loading screen), thanks for making it, but there are still a couple that won't go away: I can't lose. When I should have lost, the game freezes, and the switching-tabs solution only works for random freezing (that also happens a lot, but it's so easy to fix that I don't mind it at all).

Also, chat isn't working. It did that once before, but was fine a minute later, so I ignored it. Now it's happening again with the same error. The other time it happened, I asked the other player online if it crashed for them. It didn't. It's probably just my computer, then (if not, you were online at the time and would have seen it). I seem to be the only one affected by these bugs. The game is still awesome :)
  • @Nelnah Here is what happens when you "lose"
    - Your score is saved and sent to Clay.io servers where the leaderboard is hosted
    - After it's posted I'm retrieving all the scores
    - When they arrive, all of this is displayed on your screen with your rank

Now, if this doesn't work, it's probably again because of your antivirus army...
    Clay.io uses "websockets", and those are sometimes blocked if your antivirus is old, annoying, or weirdly configured (I actually had that issue before because my Avast antivirus was outdated)
    Go here: browserquest.mozilla.org (which is basically a websocket demo) and tell me if the connection happens
    If not, you really should change your antivirus because websockets are gonna be everywhere on the web soon
    I could just add a check for clay.io so it won't crash, but you wouldn't be able to post any score anyway

About the chat, as I explained above, I'm borrowing it from a chat service, and the guy is working on a new version, so it may be offline sometimes randomly
    If that happens too often, or the new version is not faster, I'll consider making my own chat from scratch
  • Just to clarify, did you need me to just access the link itself, or to go farther? (sorry.. I know very, very little about computer stuff.) I'd go farther just in case, but I might need to talk to Tanith or my parents first.

This is another thing that happened. No idea what it means, but it was kind of cool:

I was playing Orbs, and suddenly green and white stuff started popping up (it was too brief to see exactly what it was), the power-ups turned to green dots (even the blank ones), and the avatar moved around funny. Figuring something was different, I tried running into a juju, and... IT WORKED!!!

I got to see the leaderboard and everything! It even saved my 1,700 img that I somehow got from 2 orbs (I'm pretty sure that was another bug). For a second, I could see that you were in 9th, and Keeda and Lone Druid filled up most (maybe all, I can't remember) of the higher spots.

Then, when I went back to playing, it froze when I lost. Tried again. Still froze. That was kind of cool... too bad it didn't last. I don't know what happened.

Sorry for all of these bugs, and thanks so much for helping me....
  • @Nelnah About the link: type a random name and click "play" (you don't need to install or register anything)
    You should see a message "connecting to server"
    If the message stays there forever then you have a problem with websockets

No idea about the green and white stuff really, I don't remember implementing no-no or purple flowers already... :p
    (you may want you update your graphic drivers too)

@Lone Druid Nice job on the high scores ;)
  • Your game is really amazing.
    I LOVE IT!
    Posted 11 years ago by Keeda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I vote for the mid-air jump (:
  • Me too! That's the one thing that would make this game so much closer the GoC.... aside from a GoC recreation. :P
  • Okay added mid-air jump whatever
    Do you remember if it was at the same strength as the first jump in Glitch?

Also, various changes with the leaderboards,
    A single best score is now kept for everyone (thx to clay.io update after my suggestion)
    And instead of incrementing the world orb count each time you pick one, it now happens at the end once from your total score (people with weird_antiviruses_and_sea_animals_names shouldn't have freezes at each orb now)
    The leaderboard should load faster as well now as I'm limiting to 10 best entries
  • LOL, love the nickname!

My avatar loaded a couple days ago. Thanks if you changed something!

The websocket thing didn't connect.

Everything works as normally as it can with such qurazy web protection stuff. It keeps playing the "end of game" sound, the time blinks a little, and... it just repeats that a bunch, until I get the next orb. The good thing is: I CAN get the next orb! It doesn't freeze, and it saves the img. The thing with the total orb count is mostly transparent, so I still can't see that part, but it mostly works. I'm guessing the part that doesn't work is just the websocket thing?

Thanks, teleportation_giant_with_an_extra_o (the best Tanith and I could think of on the spot). Overall, the game WORKS!!! :D
  • Yeah it's just the websockets that bugs the game in your case...
    I forwarded you to BrowserQuest because it's made by the guys behind Firefox and mainstream stuff
    Also I found a regular test page for websocket, that I just added to the OP, you should see plenty of red crosses there
  • THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE MID AIR JUMP! (:
  • The jumping feels much improved in general, actually. Loving it!
    Posted 11 years ago by Miss Coco Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bug report: It occasionally reports my score as zero, and won't add it to the leaderboard.
    justindaigle.com/files/scr/...

The lower-right corner clearly shows me as having collected 68 orbs, however the score page lists it as zero, and won't replace my previous leaderboard score with the new one. This happens a lot, and it scares me a bit...

Edit: Also, you may have answered this already; if so, please feel free to ridicule me for my inability to read, but what are your plans for when the API goes down? Seems to tie into it fairly heavily.
    Posted 11 years ago by Jus​tin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for the report and the screenshot, those are useful!
    For example I can see that your fonts don't display as they should,
    Can you tell me more about your browser? Do you have a firewall or strict antivirus?
    Here is how the leaderboards appear for me, everyone else is seeing the same thing?

About the score, it's strange indeed, I wonder if you have the same problem as Nelnah
    Do you see any issue on this test page?

If the API goes down, it may be less user-friendly, but I should be able to setup some manual setup anyway
    The blog post doesn't list the API in the features going down, and the staff hasn't answered my question here, so I can't tell if it will stay up or not...
    In any case you guys should back up your sprite sheets if you haven't done so already...
    (I may do some server-side back-ups on my side later as well if it doesn't kill my hosting too much)

EDIT1: Okay I could replicate the font issue, it *should* be back to glitchy font for everyone now (please confirm)

EDIT2: Also I think I found the issue you had with scores
    It wasn't websockets in your case, just the last batch of updates that I hadn't tested enough (to be confirmed too)
    You may have to hit ctrl+F5 to refresh the script
  • The fonts look different (before they were the same as in Justin's picture for me). I've never actually seen the Game of Crowns fonts, and my web protection blocked your image, so I can't know if they're the same. I think the fonts work now, though.

Another (tiny) thing changed: the amount of time left actually changes to 0 when I lose, and the transparent thing disappears when I press a key. The "you lost" sound only plays once.

The game has changed a lot since when I fist played a month and a half ago. It's awesome :)
  • By the sounds of what I've read, running the user database is the biggest issue they're trying to alleviate, as the encyclopedia is the only thing they plan on leaving up. So I'd assume the API would be going down at the same time as mail, forums, and wardrobe/vanity. Although I wish we could donate some monthly amount to keep all this stuff up. I'd keep my moly sub running for these things alone. :(

Also, I'm using Safari 6.0.2 on OS X 10.8.2. If you need more detail, here's my user agent string:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_8_2) AppleWebKit/536.26.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.2 Safari/536.26.17

The web sockets thing seems to check out just fine for me. I'll play it a few more times to see if the leaderboard thing works out for me and update on as to whether it happens again.

EDIT: As to the scoring bug, the zero score display seems fixed, I think, as well as the font thing. But I got a score close to 200, then when I finally got hit, the scoreboard didn't even display, and it lost my score. D=

And... again. Score of 160-ish this time. No scoreboard display at the end. :(

Okay, scored 152. Worked that time.
  • The time the leaderboard worked for me, I also ran into that score problem. Of course, everything was just going qurazy, so it was hard to know what was actually a bug and what was just being weird. Wow... 200 orbs is a lot. My record's 46.
  • www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgR...
    Sadly the worst of my three last rounds, and I didn't get the bug I've been describing. My thoughts are it glitches out completely between 150 and 160-ish.
  • Nice job with the video!

I'd gotten 2 orbs and it showed up as 0, so I'm not sure about the relation to number of orbs. Of course, that doesn't completely rule out that possibility...
  • Thanks for the video!
    I'll add it to the OP if that's fine with you, it's going to helps much for new players
    I really should add more bugs to have more videos from you guys ^^

Anyway, I think I found the issue for your scores not being posted
    The number of jujus on-screen may be a factor, but I suspect there was an orb very close to you when you got hit, and you eventually grabbed it while the leaderboard was being displayed... does it sound familiar?
    Then it must have conflicted with the score before it had the time to be posted

I posted a fix that adds a 3sec cooldown, so you can have the time to see the leaderboard before pressing any key to hide it, and to make it impossible to grab a new orb in that time
    Also I think I finally fixed the weird leg flicking issue you eventually had when standing still
    And the fonts should look less bloated now
    (PS: don't pay attention to my score at 259, it was a test and I'll remove it later)
  • Sure, you can add the video if you'd like. =D
    Also, seems fixed to me... scored 288, and the game actually recorded it (if you'd like, you can leave that 259 score... I don't have any problem with it =P).

And yes to all other issues. Seems they're fixed.
  • Okay glad all is fixed, and I added the video then! (would be cool with sound too ;)
    The 259 was a totally cheated juju stress test, no reason to keep it really :p
    Btw on your video, the worldwide count of orbs doesn't appear on the leaderboards, is it always the case?
  • Oh wow, I just noticed that. Normally it does show the worldwide count for me.
    Also, about the sound... I actually can't turn it back on for some reason. No matter how many times I toggle the speaker icon, no sound.

I shudder to think how long it would've taken me to upload video of my last game. It took about an hour to upload the other one. That, and sound would've not only included the effects and music, but also me panicking on Skype...
  • :) I thought ..let's give it a try..but I can play as guest..but not as Atlantis. It asks to allow/not allow..and then after clicking "allow' ..I keep getting stuck at the loading screen.
    Posted 11 years ago by Atlantis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What does the loading screen says it's loading at that time?
    You could try to refresh with a Ctrl+F5 to see if that changes anything
  • It says "Loading..." ..and that is it. refreshing doesn't help. I will try the laptop I guess later. ^^
    Posted 11 years ago by Atlantis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • How have I missed this until now?! Thanks for putting this together!
    Just played and it was a nice piece of Glitch to play.
    How is it that I did better in this (which was pretty bad, honestly) than any GoC session previously? lol
    Posted 11 years ago by xombiekitty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Dang, Justin. Tip of the hat, I must bow to your superior Orb grabbing skills. Well played.
    Posted 11 years ago by Lone Druid Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 Next