Topic

Installing the Flash debugger on Ubuntu (and more generally Debian)

Hello hello hello.

I had some difficulty getting the flash debugger working on Linux, but I finally got it. So here's a short tutorial for those of you who might be having trouble as well.

First of all, download the debug plugin here. Extract it to a convenient location.

The problem seems to be that flash tends to install crap all over the system, so you may have conflicting libraries. Here's what you do:

1. Uninstall flash. In the terminal, enter: sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-nonfree flashplugin-installer
2. then: sudo apt-get autoremove
3. Reinstall flash: sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
4. Now move the library you just downloaded to the location of the flash library. Example: sudo mv ~/flashplayer_10_plugin_debug/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so

This worked for me. Hopefully it helps. Do your part as a tester to ensure that Glitch runs as well on Linux as it does other OS's. GOD knows there aren't enough good Linux games out there.

Posted 13 years ago by Tofu Casserole Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Glad to hear you managed to get it running, thanks!
    Posted 13 years ago by Jono Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Tofu - was that 32-bit or 64-bit Ubuntu?

I'm running 64-bit and find Flash a touch more fragile than it is on 32-bit... I'm wary of messing with it given that it works OK at the moment.
    Posted 13 years ago by Snazzlefrazz Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I too run 64-bit and also find flash just a little temperamental at times.

Just the same as you Snazzlefrazz, am a little wary of playing with things when they seem to be working okay, I'd be very interested to find out :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Sayyadina Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I installed the debugger (manually) alongside the regular plugin on Linux Mint, I switch between them in about:plugins on Chrome when I play Glitch.
    Posted 13 years ago by Fussycat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for this walkthrough.  Seems to have worked on my 64-bit system.
    Posted 13 years ago by martian-b Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm running Lucid on a 64-bit intel processor. Also, I didn't mention this before, but when you upgrade flash, you have to download the newest version of the debug player and replace the library again.
    Posted 13 years ago by Tofu Casserole Subscriber! | Permalink
  • good tutorial.  worked with no issues for me, 32-bit intel processor.  thanks!
    Posted 13 years ago by audiomodder Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hi, has anyone running Firefox on Ubuntu made the Glitch greasemonkey scripts work? I could only get the automatic installs to work with Chromium. 
    Posted 13 years ago by rothko Subscriber! | Permalink