Topic

Street Upgrades were cool

I wonder what happened to them :(

A little bit of history: When Groddle Meadow and Forest was being expanded (and Street projects were super new), the first 'level' a new street would be unlocked in would be 'Level 0'.

Example of Level 0 street

Next, players were given the option (via the Street Project interface) to 'upgrade' the street to Level 1 - which included more features such as resources (shrine) and scenery. But! Players had the choice to shape the scenery of the street. All contributions counted, but whichever option got the most contributions, would get chosen.

Example of Upgrade to Level 1 street project

The street would then reload to show the improvements

But that wasn't it! The street could then be upgraded again, to Level 2, which featured even more scenery. Players could choose which scenery they wanted again.

Example of Upgrade to Level 2 street project

... and the street could be upgraded even further to Level 3! More beautiful choice! :D

Example of Upgrade to Level 3 street project

Did I mention the different scenery choices even had descriptions?!

and so look! We chose, as a community, the design for this pretty street!

(and just one more example of upgrading to Level 3  - I still think we should have gone for dream catchers!) 

So, just a little bit of history there, and something I wanted to share whilst we're in the process of expanding all the 'mainland' regions! 

Posted 13 years ago by Hburger Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I wondered about those "Street Upgrade" on the load screens for those earlier streets. Now we just go through the stages of opening the street and we're done.
    Posted 13 years ago by Fokian Fool Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Good point, I really want those back. Made me feel like I was actually building something and not mindlessly labouring.

BTW, do you take pictures of EVERYTHING
    Posted 13 years ago by Ani Laurel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I do, Ani. I have each street upgrade and project folder'd even. ;)
  • Interesting! I wondered why I see that "Street Upgraded by..." text on some streets but not others.

I think that we should have that again - maybe it would be a good thing for some of the newer Glitches who feel like they don't have enough skill to contribute much to the current New Streets projects.
    Posted 13 years ago by The Cat Face Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes, please. What happened to them!?
    Posted 13 years ago by Cupcake Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow those seemed really cool! I wonder what happened to them?  
    Posted 13 years ago by Laurali Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think street upgrades would be a great idea! I wonder why they removed them...

ETA: As glum said below, I can see how it would be more work for the level designers, especially at the rate that Ur is expanding... :(
    Posted 13 years ago by Varaeth Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This seems like an amazingly labor-intensive process for the developers.  I'm hoping that other means of customizing streets will be available to us at some point in the near future.
    Posted 13 years ago by glum pudding Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Man, I would love to have those back! And I agree with The Cat Face, I they could be a great way for newer players to contribute to our world :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Lexi Smart Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Those style of upgrades make me jealous! I wish we could still do that...
    Posted 13 years ago by IxÆoN Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for explaining Street Upgrades. I'm wondering if they are holding off on more Upgrades until after launch. If the function has been tested and works just fine, they may have disabled it temporarily so that we focus on things that need to be tested.
    Posted 13 years ago by Tzombor Subscriber! | Permalink
  • how do u do street projects?
    Posted 13 years ago by ShawnLabs Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ZoBQuET: www.glitch-strategy.com/wik...
  • i dont get how u do it
  • i get it now
  • is it hard
  • That looks so fun!! Why'd this process fall to the wayside?
    Posted 13 years ago by CoffeeSnob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • no wonder ppl do that u get a bunch of currants and xp
  • Yea looks like that was tons of fun... I was wondering what the things was about where it tells who upgraded certain streets.

But yes, I agree it was probably a bit overwhelming as far as doing all the art for the streets.
    Posted 13 years ago by Squorble Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I totally agree this is the coolest thing I've seen so far. Perhaps the solution to having to create almost six times the art (surely you wind up recycling a few tho) is to make all of the projects longer..? It feels like we're just flying through streets these days - specially since Melody cracked the code. It reduces the significance. I walked to Besara once but am finding it hard-pressed to go see the new additions.
    Posted 13 years ago by FlirtyvonSexenhaven Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks HB!  I have heard something about changes to the street projects being considered.  Maybe they will bring back some of these options.  Your images remind me of the meadows which I guess were created this way?
    Posted 13 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +10000000 I WANT THIS!!!
    Posted 13 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This looks awesome, but FS's explaination is pretty reasonable. Too bad, that would have been fun!!
    Posted 13 years ago by Chemisie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • We won't bring this back!

It seems awesome in comparison to having no choice but it wasn't really that interesting: From each template "level 0" street, there were two choices for the first upgrade to level 1. From each of those, there were a further two choices, so four L2 streets. And from each of those, another two choices, making a total of 8 maxed-out L3 streets.

That was it: dramatically more work for us, but an amount of choice that would be over-exhausted after a few dozen streets.

Instead, we have been laying the groundwork for the parts of the streets to individually upgradable allowing for (something much closer to) infinite choice/customizability. And, at least some of the upgrades should be functional as well as decorative (e.g., upgrading a shrine to a temple). It'll take a while to complete everything, but a few little parts of the should be ready "medium soon". And it will be much better than bringing back the old upgrade streets.
    Posted 13 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yay! 
    Posted 13 years ago by glum pudding Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oooh. That sounds cool.
    Posted 13 years ago by emdot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "medium soon" INFINITE LULZZZZZZZZ!!!!!

In all seriousness though, I'm looking forward to seeing whatever new features/functions Stoot is talking about.
    Posted 13 years ago by Squorble Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh stoot, that is uber cool!!! Thanks :D
    Posted 13 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Personally, before seeing street upgrades, I would love to see home upgrades.  For example, I currently have a crop garden and two trees, but would love the option of adding some more garden space, or swapping out a tree space for an herb garden.

While I'm wishing for things, a monkey butler would be nice too.
    Posted 13 years ago by smithco Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ooh, that sounds like it will be even more awesome! Thanks Stoot :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Varaeth Subscriber! | Permalink
  • wow exciting news about the impending customization options! Can't wait see how that is going to work.

And now I'm trying to imagine stepping into each Giant's temple. What is that gonna be like?
  • Nice to hear from the source!! I'd love to do something simple, like buy a Wardrobe outfit for the street spirit. Some seem so... naked!
    Posted 13 years ago by FlirtyvonSexenhaven Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @smithco: omg at first I read that as "While I'm wishing for things, monkey butter would be nice too"

I immediately envisioned the production sequence from monkey lotion>monkey milk>monkey butter>monkey cheese>stinky monkey cheese etc....

and now, of course, I want those!
  • Probably been asked for a thousand times, but one aspect to nearly work-free choice, would be to let the builders- or just the top contributors, or a weighted vote based on contribution- decide what shrine, and what vendor. It's no more art work, at least.
    Posted 13 years ago by beechamel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Stoot's plan sounds great -   I'm looking forward to all the forthcoming changes in game as well as when subscribers get to vote on some of the new aspects in game.
    Posted 13 years ago by MzMunchken Subscriber! | Permalink
  • oooooohhh temples! I'm excited.
    Posted 13 years ago by goodstory Subscriber! | Permalink
  • what are they doing upgradeing the shrines to temples
  • I'm interested in seeing how the temples will look like.
    Posted 13 years ago by Codex Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like the idea of being able to upgrade things, but it is a shame the old way to build streets isn't available or some form of it...since we have 4 phases it would be much cooler if we were voting on aspects of the street to feel like we were actually having input into building the street vice just grinding to unlock a street...
    Posted 13 years ago by b3achy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 Catface!!
    Posted 13 years ago by La_La Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I can't wait to see this!
    Posted 13 years ago by Fokian Fool Subscriber! | Permalink
  • sounds good
    Posted 13 years ago by Lemo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Looking forward to any and all features - especially anything relating to community building etc. I think it's what'll keep my interest in the long haul (levels & skills only last so long)
    Posted 13 years ago by amprr Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well good thing people brought up this subject in the forum instead of wishing in one hand... and I  I am looking forward to stoot's new in the works comment that the new streets will be more user friendly.  I have gone and did a couple of new street building work crews and it was, well boring.
    Posted 13 years ago by xoxJulie Subscriber! | Permalink