Topic

Staff Topic

New: Icons of the Giants (or, a Third Use for Emblems)

It is now possible to use Emblems to make "Icons" of the Giants. There are 11 new items, one each for Alph, Cosma, Friendly, Grendaline, Humbaba, Lem, Mab, Pot, Spriggan, Tii and Zille. Making an Icon requires 11 of the same Emblem (e.g., 11 Emblems of Mab can be used to make one Icon of Mab).

Like Emblems, Icons have three single-use-daily verbs on them which give XP, mood and currants (though the Icon versions give substantially higher return). You also have a chance of magically receiving significant favor from a Giant when you are near one of its Icons placed on the ground. Note: In order to continue to perform their magic, Icons must be tithed to occasionally.

Posted 12 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

Previous 1 2 3
  • neat!! thanks devs!!

sounds like icons are like a sort of portable mini-shrine.  which rather makes sense from the religious language their name comes from. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Lara Subscriber! | Permalink
  • When you put it on the ground can anyone pick it up?
    Posted 12 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Brib Annie: if you put it on the ground in a public location, anyone can pick it up. But ones you place in your home can only be picked up by you.
    Posted 12 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Love the art so much!
    Posted 12 years ago by Lord Bacon-o Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oooo, intense spiritual devotion indeed. :)  Fun!
    Posted 12 years ago by Grem Sketch Subscriber! | Permalink
  •  Could they be placed on a shelf in your house maybe like the trophy case? Too pretty to be on the floor full of supplies.
    Posted 12 years ago by Suzy Spring Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Eleven?!?!?!?  Well, that is certainly a new long term goal to strive for.  Glad to see new uses for things.
    Posted 12 years ago by Verrain Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Incredible! I've basically neglected the donation system for  2 months now, but I feel I now have a significant reason to keep donating! I want to earn an Icon of my patron giant Mab, and perhaps all of them someday.
    Posted 12 years ago by zZzZzZzZ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love you Stoot!!! ... what a great idea!  Cosma has never been so please!
    Posted 12 years ago by RainyRain Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Will they be locked to one set of benefits per day per type of icon? Or should I start making friends with people who'll have these in their houses?
    Posted 12 years ago by Hopkins Subscriber! | Permalink
  • OH man. Those look great. Darn you and all these ideas - now I have to stop spending the emblems and put them aside so I can have shiny giants in my house :-)
    Posted 12 years ago by KrisModem Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just did the math, and it will cost me about 646,000 Currents to get all 11 Icons. That is taking advantage of EHSP on all donations and donating jewels bought at auction for 80% of their "worth". Thus 1200 Favor points would cost 3960 Currents (EHSP(1800/5)=365 per use, and 2 diamonds(2*1800)=3600). By using similar equations with other jewels I would need to spend 646,000 Currents to get 182,500 Favor. It averages out to about 3.5 Currents per Favor point rather than the 10 Currents per Favor that is the default. It seems to me that by using this system it is more profitable to sell EVERYTHING to the Tool Vendor and buy jewels to donate from the Auction Hall. If anyone has a more efficient way, please let me know.
    Posted 12 years ago by TRB4 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I still don't understand why'd you'd buy the jewels rather than mine them, but I digress.
    Posted 12 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i thank you devs :)
    Posted 12 years ago by GiaTori Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well you mine, keep the jewels you find, sell sparkly, buy jewels you need with money from sparkly.
  • For favor, I mine metal rocks, smelt them, and then make one massive donation of ignots with help from a dash of shrine powder. I can fill up the bar in one or two donations. Plus you'll get jewels from mining (also hitting some Sparkles to get materials for the powder itself) which can be donated to top off the shrine. I can normally fill up a bar in an hour or so this way, and it's completely free. 

I like this method because no one else is mining metal rocks, so you can have them all to yourself, and it keeps you from dealing with auctions. 
    Posted 12 years ago by MrMatthew Subscriber! | Permalink
  • But if you mine enough, you get plenty of gems.  Besides - and this is purely from my own mining experience - I get a lot more gems mining dullite than any other rock.
    Posted 12 years ago by blogkitten Subscriber! | Permalink
  • No, no, no...

Except for the benefit of stacking, it's better to donate a whole bunch of one crappy thing than to sell it and buy diamonds. I think I even made this exact post before.

250 sparkly sells to tool vendor for 1500, but has the exact same favor as 1 diamond, which very probably will cost more than that on the auction house. So if possible, save up 500 sparkly and just donate all that instead of 2 diamonds.
    Posted 12 years ago by Abby Smalls Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Good point, Abby! 
    Posted 12 years ago by MrMatthew Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I WANT Stoot icon! :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Saywhat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Now I can set up my home altar to Zille even more effectively!
    Posted 12 years ago by Little Miss Giggles Subscriber! | Permalink
  • you put a extra 100 into favor!! it was 1000 before... was it??
  • same saywhat lol
  • Great, i'll be pleased to have Humbaba watching my house while im on my nibbling trips
    Posted 12 years ago by monself Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Eleven emblems?! Jeez ive only got three (1 Cosma, 2 Lem).
    Posted 12 years ago by Jodeik Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Every emblem costs 100 more favor than the emblem before it. So assuming you used your first emblem of each Giant to unlock a Skill, it will require a minimum of 17,600 Favor to each Giant for their Icon. If you don't care about unlocking a skill it will only take 16,500 for their Icon.

I feel bad for people who have their donation caps through the roof already.
  • Awesome!  But can you make emblems stack now?  If I want to collect them all, I'd need to have 121 inventory slots available.  If they were stackable, just 11.
    Posted 12 years ago by Joojoo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well you can either invest in some bigger bags for the storage at your house, or just work on one Giant at a time.
  • Bug report [crossposted]:
    Circumstance: Icon-ized a set 11 Tii emblems with bag inventory slots open, but no main inventory slots available.
    Results: "New item!" popup did not appear, Tii icon did not appear, emblems removed from inventory.
    Reproduction: Unknown. Insufficient emblems to attempt.
    Posted 12 years ago by Aoi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh gosh, love the art on these. Reminds me of 70's music posters. Nice!
    Posted 12 years ago by Caesura Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oooooo snazzy!
    Posted 12 years ago by le beebs Subscriber! | Permalink
  • and i am guessing there is no disassambly on these icons? And no spending them on skills either?
    Posted 12 years ago by r0gu3 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • wowowow.

this is awesome. which one to get first? eeee!
    Posted 12 years ago by Vera Strange Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah, my math shows it about 700K to get all 11 icons.   If they're looking for a money sink, they got one!

I'd love to work on these, but at the moment speeding up skills is more important to me.
    Posted 12 years ago by Vicereine Linnæa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wait... currants? *nudge stoot* I think that's a typo... or is this something *new* that an Icon can give that emblems can not? *frazzled*
    Posted 12 years ago by Jessabelle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think these are pretty awesome. I just got my first two, from Cosma and Mab—spending emblems to speed up skills is cool, but having another use for them is even cooler.
    Posted 12 years ago by Morgan Blair Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @TRB4, yes, I realize that....OR they can make emblems stackable.  There's really no reason not to.  It's not like you can perform the same actions on separate emblems of the same Giant.
    Posted 12 years ago by Joojoo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • :( I want Trisor.
    Posted 12 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The art on these is so gorgeous! It will be a long, long time until I have enough emblems to get myself a set of these, but they are so beautiful I feel highly motivated to make that a long-term goal.
    Posted 12 years ago by Meridian Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ooh, nice...!
    Posted 12 years ago by dopiaza Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Joojoo, why not make jewels stackable? Are you telling me that one diamond takes up the same amount of space as 250 eggs?
  • Oh man oh man... thisll take forever just to get one... TIME TO START!
    Posted 12 years ago by MiTYH Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ELEVEN?! damn son, they best give you 1000 xp, 1000 mood, 1000 energy, 1000 currants and let you shoot sparkles out of your bum while flying!

just kidding, this looks awesome :3
    Posted 12 years ago by Fur Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Why do I get the feeling that some unscrupulous people will create new accounts to get cheap emblems then transfer the emblems to their main account. Although this now goes directly against the Community Guidelines 

"Using bots, mules, or other hacks to gain significant and unfair advantage in the game is not allowed."
  • Wow!  These are spectacular!   Wonder if we'll ever be able to hang them on the walls in our houses? imwk
    Posted 12 years ago by Pirate Apples Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Some notes from my experiments on Lem:

They give ~106 xp / 34 energy / 74 mood from the actions (If I remember correctly) You can still use the emblem too if you have another.

They have the option to tithe, which costs 121 currents and gives 2-10 favor (trending towards the middle of that range)

They look fantastic!
  • So then the tithe option is only for those too lazy to go to a shrine? Or those too lazy to convert their currents into goods to donate? Because at the very minimum 121 currents should net you 12 favor points. I don't understand the appeal of the tithe option, unless it has a rare chance to award some sort of bonus favor, the same way bonus harvests work. Now that might make it worth dropping a couple thousand currents into one of these.
  • I've been spending my emblems like crazy... damn you! 
    ;)
    Posted 12 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think tithing fuels the random blessings, which I haven't seen....
  • On a similar note, the Icon does not seem to be the sum of it's parts. The amount of XP, mood, and energy gained from an icon is not that much more then one gains from an emblem. ~3 times more XP and mood, and only 15 more energy? Seems pretty weak.
Previous 1 2 3