Topic

[dev] Accessing players sprite sheets

I'll just post this here as I'm not sure anyone still reads the developer forums...

It's great that the player images are still going to available in the long term,
but as the API is closing we could use an alternative way to access them as I've been wondering here
You may know that some of my games use those directly, and hopefully people will come up with other uses of avatars later!
I'd just like to have players type their glitch names when logging into the game, instead of asking them to upload their avatar manually or other weird work around
So, here are some possible ways I thought developers could get an access (in a coolness order):

- With a custom url quite similar to the one currently in use
glitch.com/profiles/TSID/archive/?look=last&sheet=base
And it would return the url of the "base" sprite sheet (we just need one as they all have almost the same url)
One problem for now is that the avatar pages are private, any reason this is not open to everyone?

- You could export a text file with the names of every glitch player, their tsid, and one sprite sheet url
And developers would just use a local copy to find out where to get stuff

- With a list of all the players TSIDs
Then I'll just process them through the API while it's still there to build a list myself

I know this may be some additional work for TS, but if the avatar are still there, better make good use of them ;)
(Also if you ever have the chance while in there, this can be a cool thing to have as well)

Posted 11 years ago by Lemo Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Any thought, feedback on this?
  • I have thought about it, but I have no answers for you yet. There are a few more things that absolutely have to get done if we're to have a functioning Glitch website on March 26th (11 days, eek). I will try to provide some way to access avatar images and spritesheets, though. You're making good use of them! It would be cool to see that continue.
    Posted 11 years ago by Little Poundcake Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Okay, thanks LP ^^
    Good luck with the rest of the process then!
    Sounds like a mountain of work (are you the only person now at TS doing all the archiving/transition on Glitch?)
  • Thank you! And yes, I'm the one doing all the Glitch work. I'm splitting my time between Glitch and our new product, too. :)
  • New product? Is that the one Kukubee talked about in which he said, and I quote "Another game in a similiar style" and will you be able to put updates on this? Or is it even a game at all?! Also, will updates for it be on the Glitch website?
    Posted 11 years ago by Hector8 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Hector8
    The new product from TS is probably about "messaging technologies" according to the announcement ;)
    And Brent is working on projects outside of Tiny Speck for now... and if I recall correctly this (snap) reply was about a halloween style kinda game (hopefully involving zombie pandas :p)
  • Zombie pandas? Sweet. Messaging technologies... Like phones and stuff? Please pardon my ignorance.
    I'm not sure Kukubee specifically said a halloween game, but I can see the presumption you are making, I thought perhaps he meant as in a similiar style to glitch. Doesn't matter though, any game from anyone inside TS must be good :) 
  • "Messaging technologies... Like phones and stuff?"

Hmm TS is probably not going to sell phones anytime soon I suppose, it could be more like skype or other "online" messaging services... which is probably the good time as webrtc is becoming real
  • Will Janitsch's website still run if we have everyone's profile ID (TSID). I have no idea how it works. glitch-atlas.info/files/spr...
    Posted 11 years ago by Cleops Subscriber! | Permalink
  • According to Kukubee's ongoing commentary and new comics on FB/twitter he is working for Spryfox on the game Triple Town which is little brown bears: spryfox.com/our-games/tripl...
    Posted 11 years ago by Cleops Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Janitch's tool uses the API as well, so it will go away too
  • Thanks Lemo, great help. You know more about code than I, could you please look at this thread? it depicts and idea for a Singleplayer glitch but am not sure if flash could be ported in a way that it works from a launcher, as I code in python and not a lot else.
  • I can't say I am particurly interested in Kukubee's game after seeing that link, I think I will stick to glitch spinoffs :)
  • @Hector8
    There has been a bunch of "single player glitch" ideas before... try the search button
    And not being multiplayer doesn't make it that much easier
    The closer I did was Glitch craft, and I don't have the time to develop it any further right now
    But if you know Python, have a look at Construct2, it's probably gonna be easy for you too get started
  • Thanks so much Lemo, checking the link as I speak!
  • "No coding required" That's almost dissapointing. Is this what you used to create Glitched?
  • Yeah the 3 games were made with C2
    "No coding required" mean you don't need to type any code,
    but it's the same logic as any other programming language, that's why it helps if you know some already
  • Lemo, I just added links to avatar images and spritesheets to individual profile pages. They'll show up when we do the rest of the site changes on Monday. You'll find them on the left, below the stats and achievements. We're also going to leave the player search page up (www.glitch.com/search) so that people can find profiles. Between those two things, you should be set!
  • Okay thanks LP!
    Not super easy as it would involve a bit of scraping to filter stuff... but it's doable indeed I guess :]
    Also again if you happen to have that big Usernames vs TSIDs global list somewhere already that would help bypass the search ^^ Maybe Tom made one with the TSIDs as well along with this list, I'll drop him a mail
  • Okay I got a list of TSIDs, obviously have-it-all-TomC had that in store ^^
    @Lp If you have an up-to-date version of course it can be better, but if not it should be pretty much fine already!
    I have some php script ready, so if anyone has any use of that, feel free to use it

To retrieve a Tsid from a player name it goes like: glitched.webatu.com/glitchen.php?name=LittlePoundcake
    (case sensitive login name without any space, apostrophe, or other special character - tell me if yours doesn't work)

Now let's wait to see how those profile pages will look like tomorrow for the actual avatar links!
  • thanks for everything you are doing, Lemo!
    Posted 11 years ago by chilirlw Subscriber! | Permalink