Topic

Come join Civility (Group based on community, cooperation and fun)

“We Fart Rainbows!”
             ~Pippa

Civility: the act of showing regard for others
We are a group dedicated to working cooperatively instead of competitively; to sharing amongst our membership; to maintaining certain standards of behavior with all Glitch interactions; and to making more fun for ourselves and others by positive, supportive actions.

We keep a fun, active chat channel open at all times. We  have scheduled and spontaneous events designed to engage our members and other players. We maintain a Civility Route that encourages others to participate in resource collection, restoration projects and iMG donation.

And we do it all in a spirit of Empathy,  Non-discrimination and Mutual respect!

Civility's Core Values:
~   We will be friendly, caring, like-minded folk. We do not condone rude, mean, or selfish behavior. Trolls and griefers will be expelled from Civility.

~   Unity is key: we do our best to foster group community feeling and spread that to the greater community of Ur.

~   Pre-emptively “pay it forward”! Be pro-active in helping others and they will in turn help you.

~   What goes around comes around, or else it stops.

~   Be completely ethical in your interactions with all, both in-group and across Ur.
Practice mutual respect for all. This includes tolerance for differences of all kinds: from differences of opinion to differences in color, creed, gender, or orientation.

~   Take all forms of hate speech elsewhere! We will not accept the following in Civility: Racism, Xenophobia, Sexual Prejudice (against men/women/LGBT), Disability Discrimination, Bigotry, Harassment, Slander and Abuse of any kind.

~   Generosity is a gift, both to the giver and the receiver: do not abuse the generosity of others but offer yours first.

Membership

~  At this time, membership is subject to approval. A recommendation of you by one of our current members helps but is not a deciding factor on its own. Either request for membership after you read this document carefully OR message Bachjess♫♫♪ in game or send a mail via the website or butler.

~  All new members will be on probation for 2 weeks. At this time, we ask that you be active in our group chat channel or if they prefer through IM'ed conversations with Bachjess♫♫♪ so we get to know each other better and ensure a fit for both parties. Also, keep abreast of our discussion threads and comment in them if you wish. The introductions thread is a good start.

Consequences Policy
~   Members who fail in some application of our core values will be subject to our 3-strike system:

Strike 1:   IM'ed warning in-game from one of our Leadership Team
Strike 2:   Written warning (via note) from one of our Leadership Team
Strike 3:   Meeting with Leadership and Removal from the group

Link to Civility Group Page

Posted 12 years ago by Bachjess♫♫♪ Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
  • Hi Bachjess
    This sounds fab - I love how popular it is too, shows how incredible the population of Ur is!
    When you have a free minute I'd love an invite.
    Thanks
    Jendaline
    Posted 12 years ago by Jendaline Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Heyo Jendaline :D

*hugs* Thank you for your comment. I agree, it is truly wonderful how this group has taken off and we're so lucky that brilliantly community minded folks have flocked to us.

Welcome to Civility. An invitation is coming right up. Have a lovely glitchy day all 

*hugs* and Cheers
  • I have some friends who say Civility is the best thing they've found in Glitch!  I would appreciate an invitation.  I'm a good Glitchen and help others all the time.  I'm here everyday and would welcome the opportunity be involved in your group.
    Posted 12 years ago by Dee Licious Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hiya Dee Licious :D

*hugs* welcome to Civility. I will invite you right now. Have a great day :D 

*hugs* and Cheers, 

Bachjess
  • You know, this thread has been going on for more than two months now, and while I have got to admire your efforts to create a community that clearly appeals to a large number of glitches (despite the unusual cookie-cutter approach that somehow equates Glitch with WoW and SWTOR!), I also can't help but wonder if you've got the best process here for approving new members in the longer term. 

The use of the general forums to apply and approve applicants seems like it's not the best fit here, because it ultimately creates a persistent source of noise in the forums for the rest of the community for whom the topic has little to no general interest.*

I'm curious to know what's going on here - does the group require an invite to join? Or have enough people with the maximum number of groups needed to request invites to the point that a behavioral norm of posting to request an invite has been established? In either case, it seems like a better alternative should be available somehow. 

I know, I know - friends have told me that I should just stop reading the forums. But I'm not sure that's the best answer either! I'd be interested to hear input from you all that might lead to ideas / new solutions to this problem to benefit both Civility and the still-civil-if-unaffiliated glitches who are sharing the general forum.  

* citation: http://www.glitch.com/forum/general/5957/57734
    Posted 12 years ago by katlazam Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just figure I don't read this particular thread - seeing as we all know what it's about now - it's not offensive to me being here or anything.  I don't see what harm it's causing at all.

Edit: farts a rainbow hehehe (just re-read the top :O)
    Posted 12 years ago by ~Arabesque~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • katlazam--In response to your query, the group does require an invite to join.  In the OP, Bachjess requests that interested parties contact her to receive an invite. Some people choose to do that in-game, others in the forum post.  

I don't personally mind this post popping back up.  I actually *just* joined the group the other day as a direct result of this post being bumped up in the forums.  Per your citation, if staff feels this to have crossed into the off-topic arena I'm sure they will move it accordingly :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Soupie♨ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would certainly enjoy being part of this group.

I would like an invite, please.
    Posted 12 years ago by Eriol Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hi - I'd love to be a part of this group. I am new to online gaming and I feel awkward and stupid, and it would be great to have a safe place with nice people where I can learn. Plus, I love helping people, and I love Terry Pratchett. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by LulaJaenelle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Katlazan, the invitation system seems to work well, and it ensures that the person requesting an invite has actually read the writeup about the group and understands it's intent and purpose as well as the behavior and activities expected of members, thus ensuring a stable and longlasting Civility Group membership.  IMHO, Civility Group is especially good at making Glitch a warm fuzzy friendly bonded community of players who stay with the game.
    Posted 12 years ago by Talaria Wingfoot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Eriol and LulaJaenelle - your invites are on the way :) 
    Posted 12 years ago by PTB3 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I look forward to requesting membership.  Recently I was reminded that posting to the  open forums opens one up for all kinds of abuse.  I very much prefer interacting with a trusted group of friends.

I currently belong to the Housing Resource group. as well as another, very supportive/cooperative group - both both of which include a number of old friends from FaunaSphere.

Because I'm dyslexic, and this is a work day, I confess I have not yet read the the entire write-up about the group.  It will probably take me more than an hour to get through all that text.  *I'm happy to do it!!!*  I just can't do it today.  Once I can honestly tell you that I've read the whole thing, I'll apply for membership.

Thank you for starting this group!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by ArtOfHands RoboGirl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm with katlazam.
    The Serious Routes thread was moved to Off Topic.
    If that is the right place for it then this, and every other group thread, should be moved too.
    Posted 12 years ago by xombiekitty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That sounds a little like 'ts took out so ts take theirs' - a bit tit for tat.  The conversation is frequent on this thread and relevant so that glitch can see if they want to ask for an invite.  Anyone can join a resource group without an invite I believe (If I'm wrong on that I'll apologise) which means that any glitch can join immediately and talk within the resource group pages.

Edit: Yeah just checked, the original and main resource route is open to all to join as is the serious route group that is still on Glitch : )
  • Since those complaining already know what this thread is about why don't you just feel Welcome to completely ignore it :)

There are many people who are looking for a group like this to feel wanted and included. This is the best place to let those people see if this is for them.
    Posted 12 years ago by Anya Karenya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's not tit for tat, it's consistency.
    Doesn't your group require you to think the best of people's intentions?
    I'm not seeing that behaviour with such an accusation being thrown at me.

The only way to be added to a serious route was to contact the curator, and many people did as people are doing here and used the thread to do so. It was also used to get feedback on new routes. In fact, it didn't even have a group with which to conduct these conversations in initially, and since there was concern over a group changing the dynamic of the idea behind serious routes, the briefly formed group was abandoned by the group owner.

Thanks for showing me just how civil you can be to a non-member of your group.
  • sorry xombie I don't belong to the group? I initially just replied to the first post by Kat that this thread didn't disturb my forum reading in any way.  I just got that tit for tat impression from your first post so I apologise to you if my perception of what you wrote was incorrect : )

Edit (again...) hang up! I've just been sent an invite so I will be joining the group in approx 10 seconds : )
  • Since I've already stated that your perception was completely incorrect, I would appreciate it if you would stop saying "if".
    It's not an apology when you are still stating that you disbelieve my comments and intention.
  • Seriously, you didn't get an apology from my first post? Ummm, not quite sure how to respond to your perception of that now.  I apologise when it's meant : )
  • Thanks for the time out here. :)

As for threads posting where, some things will be added to our FAQs soon to give players some direction on where they are more appropriate. When the time comes, expect some to move around. 
    Posted 12 years ago by kevbob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks so much for your reply kevbob. Honestly, I saw "General" section as everything glitch related and "Off Topic" as non-glitch related. I was not a regular player at the time of stoot's comments (thanks Katlazam :) for the citation) and thus just assumed that this was the right section to post in.

I am perfectly fine and happy with wherever this thread is moved or not moved. Thank you so much Tiny Speck for listening to all our opinions and concerns (all of which I think are valid). You rock so immensely hard as a company and as individuals too. 

*hugs* and cheers,

Bachjess
  • What she said. :-)
    Posted 12 years ago by FlatEarther Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh as an update, the passion poured into recent replies to my thread led me to suggest this idea: Having a separate forum section dedicated to Group Recruitment. Here's the link.

http://www.glitch.com/forum/ideas/24286/

Thanks all.

*hugs* and cheers as always :)
  • I would love an invite to the group! I'm a new player though my mom plays and recommended this group as The thing to do :) I've read all the information and this is exactly what I'm looking for.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lizetta Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hiya AnyaKarena,

Hugs and thanks for your interest. I'm curious as to who your mom is although I will never force you to reveal if you wish not to. While I'm camping in the wilds of Maine, please contact Kip Konner, our head of membership since I have no game access for another 4-5 days. Hugs, I look forward to chatting with you when I'm back. Cheers, Bachjess and I hope you're loving Ur this far ;)
  • Request to join.*:) Always ready to help with projects, quests, & badge achievements.
    Posted 12 years ago by Smallchalet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A very warm Welcome to you all; smallchalet, AnyaKarena, wheatgerm, Squaly and RobotDoggy as well as all: newer players and veteran players alike who have joined Civility recently. Hugs, I cannot wait to welcome you all when I next get back to game. Cheers, Bachjess
  • Heyo fro rainy, drizzly London everyone. Hugs.

Just wanted to welcome all our new initiates to Civility and apologize for not being able to be in game to do so in glitchson.

Welcome one and all !

Big hugs to you and all our present membership as well. Hugs.

Cheers, Jess
  • I would like to join. I Love to help fellow glitches complete quests, earn badges, and complete projects. i fell it is important to help other glitch in the game. i have been trying to get to level 18 and have had alot of help, and i would like to help other glitches like they have help me.
    Posted 12 years ago by Echo Spirit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Great thanks, Echo Spirit, I like what you say there :) Away for 2more weeks, but our chair of membership will contact you soon. cheers, and thanks for your interest. Hugs, Jess
  • Civility has exceeded 300 members. Jolly good all!!!!

*hugs* and Welcome to all our newer members too.

Any interest, please come chat with me. Happy to tell you more about our amazingsauce group.

*Hugs* and Cheers,

Bachjess (Civility Lead and Membership Chair)
  • I just want to share with you all, what my Civility Group means to me and how they have all helped me through a very difficult desperate time. This is a group whose members do not shy away if you have tough times. We grow together in happiness and sadness alike: we commiserate and celebrate alike depending on the situation. Thank you all in Civility, *hugs*.

Dear Officers, Members of my Civility Group and also my friends from wider Ur, I want to thank you so deeply for your encouragement, support, friendship, deep concern and love during this most difficult time for me. As I love being there for you, you are all there for me as well. Indeed, what goes around, really does come around. You all rock immensely by listening to me vent for hours on end and offering your advice through your life experiences and frames of reference. I could not ask for kinder and more patient friends who are like family and indeed life would be so much more unbearable without you all here to help. Thank you too TS for creating this community which attracts such wonderful caring individuals who help each other through life's hellish phases and rejoices in her happy times too. *Hugs* and thanks :D

Most sincerely,

Bachjess
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next