Topic

Newbtopia begins...

On my home street I have begun the construction of a tower aimed at educating and informing young Glitchen. If you stop in and check out the second floor, you'll have an idea of what I'm going for.

www.glitch.com/locations/LH...

www.glitch.com/snaps/PUVMBM...
(snapshot of Level 2)

I'm pretty new to the game myself, and still learning, so any assistance, donations, or suggestions for the growth of this project are appreciated. The look of my home street will change later to accommodate this new focus- but for now it's a bit chaotic- please forgive. The machines will move to the 9th floor when I get that far.

Posts here are fine, and preferred so others can feedback/get ideas as well- but dropped notes at the site are ok too.

If you decide to contribute in some manner, you can either leave non-furniture with the butler or add to the top floor project.
Anything else; I'm not sure of all Glitch's asset management rules yet, so do what you know works or feel free to get in touch with me to arrange something.

I just added SDBs specifically for currant contributions, though I would prefer resources/items.
In particular string is outside of my skillset, and snails are... well- you probably know about snails.

Take a look, see what you think.

Posted 12 years ago by Biofellis Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Dis I like. Donated 1k.
    Posted 12 years ago by Sororia Rose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm glad! Thanks!
  • This looks really good! I'll be stopping by next time I'm in Ur.
    Posted 12 years ago by kastlin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Looks nice & great idea, best of luck! 
    Posted 12 years ago by Oh Fudge Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @ Kastlin- Thanks! Friend me. If I'm on, I can summon you!
    @ Oh fudge- Thanks!
  • Big thanks to whomever came in and completed the work on Level 2! I suspect I know who it is, but I don't want to jump to conclusions when naming people who deserve credit.

After I go get metal so I can do snails, I'll be doing batch 2 of furniture for the (now clear) 1st floor which will cover basic equipment- but first: sleep.

Thanks for all the interest and help so far!
  • Nice idea. Will donate some cash for this. Look forward educating myself in that new room of yours! 
    Posted 12 years ago by Sarkos Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is great!

Donated 10k.

Edit: Donated 100k cause, why not? Good luck! :D.

Edit #2: And donated another 100k. I want 2 hugs not 1. :D

Edit #3: Finished floor #3. Had the resources lying around and could think of no better use.
    Posted 12 years ago by daniel5457 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is a pretty fantastic project, when I get a chance to get on later I would love to donate and/or help.

See you later!
    Posted 12 years ago by rorschach Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Sarkos, Thanks! I just put up the first 3 IMG tutorials- check them out!
    @ daniel5457, Supersweet! I thank you. The furnishings on Floor #3 thanks you, and when I get back (gotta RL), a whole lot more will be able to be built thanks to you!
    @ rorschach, Thank you much! Added you!

I should mention at this point that I've been gophering more than Tutorializ-ing, so Check the IMG tutorials for an idea of what I want the whole building to do.

That said, I might need help getting some stuff- especially _if_ I do a 'museum' floor. I don't really think it's _necessary_, and I would have to get rares from people like yourself- but you guys decide. It would be floor 8, if I don't need it for the real teaching. Floor 9 will be the machines in my yard, transplanted. Floor 7 will probably be icons, donations, powders & Rook fightin'.
    We'll see.

Anyway, need:
    more friggin String. I can't buy it in any real quantity. Apparently it's the textile of snails. (I finish Tinkering V soon, guess I'm going fox-brushing next...)
    odd- NOT RARE items- The museum floor has not been decided. Vote in on if you think it would be good.
    SDBs wouldn't hurt. I can make them, but getting good pricing on the metal bits is tough. In that respect;
    Snails, Metal rods, ingots or ore. Mining is hella slow.

Thanks for all the help, for checking it out, and your feedback!
    More criticism, please! :)

Take care!
  • Donated some cash.  I really love this idea.

Out of curiosity, are you planning on doing any tutorials/advice about the skill system?  I know when I was brand new that was probably the most confusing part of the game.
    Posted 12 years ago by Tourmaline Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Tourmaline,
    Yep A lot of this is limited by how big notes can be, and the fact I can't include any pictures. So... More signposts- more items- more planning. I don't exactly want a signpost forest in each room.

But, skill & upgrade suggestions are both planned!

Thanks for the question & the donation!
  • Love this idea-will friend you!
    Suggestions: 
    Make the notes just little quips like the opening page and then they won't be obtrusive. 
    Use the floors in a consecutive manner based on what skills you need to learn first. 
    So 1st floor rec=cherries w fruit changer; grain w knife n board; spice w mill on the first counter because these are what Glitches need to know first. 
    Put fruit + spice trees for now on your street-later put jellis, rocks, and fireflies.
    Posted 12 years ago by Holly Waterfall Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Can we embed links into notes?  Instead of explaining each item, maybe link it to the Glitch Wikipedia?
    Posted 12 years ago by Airya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Holly Waterfall
    The organization is really tough, because I'll have a max of nine floors to do only so many signs per level (and my signs are pretty much at the limit too)- with a LOT of information total. Just consider the amount of info on gardening alone- advantages, upgrades- not to mention etiquette!
    I don't know what you mean exactly by 'quips' though, so I could be misunderstanding your intent.

@Airya
    That's a good idea- I think you can. If so, The wiki is particular about what info it gives, so I'm sure I'll need to give a lot anyway, but I'll definitely keep that in mind! Thanks!

Oh- and to the person that revealed to me the bug where container-types are (for whatever reason) not locked down- thanks for cluing me in. You didn't have to keep the stuff to do it, but some people have different methods of educating, I understand.
    Thanks for reminding me how valuable integrity is, and to appreciate all those who have contributed, and have it even more!

Thanks all!
  • Bump :D
    Posted 12 years ago by daniel5457 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Fourth floor built.
    Fifth started!

Added:
       + Alchemical Compounds
       + Blending,
       + Cocktail Crafting,
       + Saucery Items.
    a lot of moving stuff around to do. & signs to rewrite per suggestions & write.

I've decided Metal bars are unfun.
    Also, SDBs.

You know.

Got some good suggestions from Holly Waterfall & Alopecurus I'm gonna try to integrate.

Gotta get sleep.
    Till later!

I just put some notes on a table on level 1 to remember them for later when I realized that could work as if I did it on purpose to give info about each shelf. Try it, let me know what you think.

Bed, fer realz...
  • Biofellis-Glad you liked what I left. When I think of newbies I think of the very basics. I know they go through the tutorial, but when we did it it was very different so new recruits may know more and not need some things-not sure. Anyway, what I meant by quips was short one sentence things like the tips they post on the opening page. Example: Need crops? Make a piggie plop. 
    Or: Salt is a spice don't ya know.
    Telling them without detailed explanation in the note and then having the ingredients in SDB's and tools on counter.
  • Donated some girders for this project - I approve
    Posted 12 years ago by riscy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Holly Waterfall,
    Yep- I'm definitely going to revamp a bunch of stuff- especially after all floors are  done. I see what you mean now- I'll look & see if there's a list of them somewhere.

@riscy,
    Thanks! I just did some of what was the top floor & started the next!

We are now 1 more floor stronger! I'm really jazzed & started something a little different for the last floor- I hope you'll like it!
    From this point on the last floors will be much different (the planned ones), and I can finally- er 'finalize' how the whole thing will work because I see how much 'space' I have to work with.

Not enough, actually- but that's the limit! So I'll make do- It's a challenge!

Anyway- changes:
    Fifth floor built.
    Sixth started!

Moved:
       + Alchemical Compounds
    Added:
       + 'Classroom Feel' for new level
       + SDBs on almost every floor
    Changed:
       + SDBs no longer sell stuff. I gave it a lot of thought & I really don't think it fits the theme, but feedback on this is appreciated.

Not much time today, but should be at it again tomorrow!

Later!
  • I should clarify- I disabled all the non-donation SDBs.
    Anyone who wants to chip into this project still can, so- feel free to do so.
    Being that I've used what I got as efficiently as I could, until I get to go harvesting planks & mining metal, the progress may slow a bit. Especially because, you know- string-- but at this point everything is getting a bit rough.
    (On that note, Quistra- you're awesome!)

I think 4 levels in 3 days is pretty good though...
  • Biofellis-I have just 1 metal on my street also a cherry, egg, and gas. Feel free to harvest any/all as needed.
  • I am now a member of the newly created 'Friendly Route'.
    resources.grelca.com/route/334

Back to mining- we've been doing a floor/day, no sense in stopping that now!

@ Holly, Thanks!
  • Changes:
    Sixth floor built.
    Seventh started!

Thanks a great deal to Scarf, who walked in, did something, and when called on it said "You saw nothing! I didn't do anything (lol)"
    That 'nothing' virtually finished floor 6 :)

In this floor (7), the bar has been raised:
    140 urth blocks!
    318 string!
    among a bunch of more manageable stuff.

We'll do it! and the ridiculous amount that the last level will surely demand!
  • Oh wow, terrific idea!  Besides building supplies, anything else you need?
    Posted 11 years ago by Kadi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Any equipment or products, or advice for any skills or skill groups is welcome- as are pointers and play styes. It won't all make it in, but I will try to get as much in as I can.

A couple really awesome players have pushed 7 to half completion already, so I'm hoping we can be into 8 by tomorrow- heck, maybe even be done! Then I can put in the new stuff, & re-organize again, then start refining all the info--

And everyone- the more feedback and perspectives the better!

Thanks all!
    Posted 11 years ago by Biofellis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Changes:
    Seventh floor built.
    Eighth started!

In this floor (8), we need:
    32 Girders!
    160 urth blocks!
    371 string!
    among a bunch of more manageable stuff.

Last chance to get project IMG!

Thanks to everyone who's contributed thus far!
  • OK- All 9 floors complete!
    Most of the layout is done, but I'm going to make a lot of changes to make things even better.

Still working on 2 missing icons inside- Alph & Friendly- so if you wanna sell cheap, or donate either complete icons or emblems, that would be appreciated.
    I also would like a full set outside, but that's not a priority- so other emblems/icons are appreciated too. The way I see it, the more I have, the less reason for people to drain them till they won't refresh.

Lots of Skills (mostly ones I don't have) are missing end products (& possibly a few components), though I do need to create some more stuff myself now that the construction is complete. So if you have things you wanna share, feel free to see what we need, or just drop off to the butler.

Also have to decide if/how to integrate musicboxes, keys, and other stuff. Keys for sure I think.

Thanks to these guys who chipped into the last, greedy floor-- Alopecurus & Midian;
    esp. Alopecurus who donated metal, signposts and shelves even beyond that!

Every one of you who donated is appreciated, and hopefully when completed this will reflect the hard work and potential of the Glitch Community!

Take care!
  • New snaps:

Gathering and Growing, new version (wip)

Industrial, coming along...

This is probably closer, but still not close to finished. Trying to get all the stuff there.
    Getting items still, and putting them where they belong. The new format allows me better control, but also uses a crazy number of shelves. I feel I'm going to be making shelves till I see them in my sleep...

Later all!
  • Love the pics of the new layouts! Good work Biofellis.
    Posted 11 years ago by Holly Waterfall Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well, I did a bunch of stuff.

Except for all the actual helpful content, and some missing bits (notably random drops/toys)-- and whatever else I may have overlooked- I think it's close to there.
    I've gone for broke- literally, and with all the donations (470,000 currants to date), I was able to get almost all crucial content in. Other toys (Party Packs especially) will have to come when I can afford them.
    Also have to experiment with getting containers nailed down so I can have them inside.

No picture this time- come down and take a look.

Anyone who takes a picture and posts it to this thread is eligible for a random drawing- their choice for one of the extra counters I built, or a set of an SDB and a stool.
    Because, 'why not?'.

This offer ends Fri, Oct 5th @ Midnight EST.

Good Luck!
  • Oh, if someone can get me a Fox-brushing permit, and/or another Card Carrying Qualification & General Building Permit, that would be great!

More donations of missing items or currants would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Special Thanks to Feef for cooking up most of the food & drinks!
  • Biofellis - maybe i missed it, but do you have a list of items you are missing?
    Posted 11 years ago by Airya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • (List of needed items moved further down thread)

Thanks for asking!

[Ed: Ilmenskie Jones,
       Bureaucrat,
       Cactus,
       Magic Rock,
       Maintenance Bots
       have been acquired!]

[Ed: Thanks to Feef & Iolana, due to whom;
       Music Boxes DG-1, DG-3, DG-5,
       Music Boxes DB-5,
       Music Boxes XS-4,
      Music Boxes DR-4 have all been acquired!]

[Ed: HUGE Thanks to Scarf- due to him:
       Many Harvest Cordial,
       Seed-Dibber Libation,
       New Draught of Giant Amicability,
       Embiggenifying Potion,
       Powder of Startling Fecundity
       7 Garden Gnomes,
       Splendid Spindle,
       Super Scraper,
       Grand 'ol Grinder,
       Ace of Spades,
       Gardening Tool Vendor,
       Meal Vendor,
       Tool Vendor
       have all been acquired!]
       (Also thanks to Scarf for 'Cubimal Warning' idea)
  • Love the Newbtopia tower! That is all. :-)
    Posted 11 years ago by Iolana Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks to Feef, due to whom;
       Gwendolyn Cubimal,
       Yeti Cubimal &
       Trisor Cubimal have all been acquired!
    This cuts the needed cubimals list down to 8!

Updated List:

Series 1 cubimals:
        Rube, Rook

Series 2 cubimals:
         Scion of Purple, Hell's Bartender

Most Non-Zilloween seasonal items

Winter Party Pack

I'm also curious about 'discontinued' (but still accessable) locations- like the Alakol Model homes. [Update: there is no 'Small' version of these]

To be concise I want every in-game item here (that can be), EXCEPT
       'Antiques' (no longer current or likely to be re-introduced items)
       Furniture

I might do a short 'History' write up if I can get more input.

[Ed: Sno Cone Vendor
       Uncle Friendly,
       Helga,
       Senor Fun Pickle,
       have been acquired!]
  • [Imponderable Thanks to Quistra, who donated 14 Party Packs! so;
        Aquarius Party Pack Taster
        Aquarius Party Pack
        Double Rainbow Party Pack Taster
        Double Rainbow Party Pack
        Mazza'la Gala Party Pack Taster
        Mazza'la Gala Party Pack
        Nylon Phool Party Pack Taster
        Nylon Phool Party Pack
        Pitchen Lilliput Party Pack Taster
        Pitchen Lilliput Party Pack
        Toxic Moon Party Pack Taster
        Toxic Moon Party Pack
        Val Holla Party Pack Taster
        Val Holla Party Pack
        have all been acquired!
  • Juku got me Card-Carrying Qualification!
       Fox brushing permit is not a tangible item it seems, so thanks to Juku's efforts we're good on that!
       [Ed: this may be an issue with buying it from the Ranger?]
  • FYI
    Garden Gnomes slow down performance.
    I had installed 9 in my tower hoping to use them as 'guides', but the tower took a long time to load and ran... badly. I took all the gnomes out & chucked them in a closet & now the tower is manageable again.
    I know most of you don't want 9 gnomes- but the point is each one does a little and it adds up.
  • Latest snap of the top floor:

• Put signage on home street detailing resource info.

Acquired 1st Doll (Ludwig_Wittgenstein). Since they're are actually still being issued, getting the other two is one of the last efforts.

Updated List (of needed items):

Dolls:
       Ayn Rand Doll
       Friedrich Nietzsche Doll

Series 1 cubimals:
        Rube, Rook

Series 2 cubimals:

Most Non-Zilloween seasonal items
  • I think all I have for non-Zilloween seasonal stuff is a Pi, but I'll gladly donate that to the cause if you still need one. :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Arashi Kurobara Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think its a great idea and I am more than happy to assist you in any way I can, I donated to the cause and I think that your street and tower will be a great place to learn a lot about how the game works and will recommend visiting them to any new player I meet :) 
    Posted 11 years ago by Potian Dragoon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Arashi Kurobara,
       Thanks for the offer! I really appreciate it, but someone else gave me one just the other day!
    Potian Dragoon,
       Thanks for the compliments & the assistance you've given so far- it has been a great help, and the revamped level 7 is looking... ok- it's looking a bit cluttered-- but it's a start!
  • Updates!

Got all un-upgraded furniture
    Moved All cooking into 1 room on 4tth Floor
    Moved Alchemy from 6 to 5
    Moved most of Industrial from 7 to 6
    Added most Furniture to 7 expanded tinkertool to illustrate craft-able tools
    Acquired Rook & Rube Cubimals, as well as series 1 trophy

Dolls:
       Ayn Rand Doll
       Friedrich Nietzsche Doll

Series 2 cubimals:

Most Non-Zilloween, non-Pi seasonal items

A few tools for 7th floor. Take a look- I'll make a list later.

Thanks!
  • Updates!

Acquired all craft-able tools for 7th floor.
    Acquired Rainbow Sno-Cone (floor 3 for now)
    Acquired Boot (floor 1 for now)
    Acquired Scion of Purple& Hell's Bartender Cubimals, as well as series 2 trophy
    Acquired Friedrich Nietzsche Doll

Ayn Rand Doll
    Most Non-Zilloween, non-Pi seasonal items
    Icons for right side of street. :)

Thanks
  • Well- seeing as there will be very few new players, and no more real purpose, I have taken shots of the home street & tower which I've been working on.

Feel free to stop by before I decide what to do with the contents.

I have been told quite frequently there is nothing like this in the whole game- and the pictures only tell a part of the story- so... before it's too late...

Whoever you are, I did this for you in a way- so take a peek.
  • Oh Biofellis, that made me cry.  You did so much hard work and created something remarkable.
    Posted 11 years ago by Miss Parsley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm so sorry Biofellis. :( You worked so hard on that, and you were really nice to me when I was new. I'm gonna miss your street.
    Posted 11 years ago by Phantasmagoria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Don't you dismantle one bit of that tower, Biofellis.  It's a museum!  It must die with the game :)  
    Posted 11 years ago by scroobienoob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • bump...
    Posted 11 years ago by Patricia Subscriber! | Permalink