Topic

Glitch: The Documentary!

Hi all, 

You might have seen in the General forum that the idea of making a documentary about people's experiences in Glitch has received some attention. (It's here [www.glitch.com/forum/genera...]) if you want to take a look.) 

For this documentary, we need to bring together as much as possible in terms of community work - i.e. art, poetry, songs, animations, anything like that - along with user videos or audio talking about your experiences. 

There'll be a slightly more formal version of this post to outline what I'm thinking would work best in the documentary format, but for now if you have anything specific - or non-specific - that you think you would like to contribute, would you mind listing it here? 

If you don't feel comfortable discussing it in an open forum, or if you want to send more details, please feel free to email me - jimspirit (at) hotmail (dot) com - where I'll be collating everyone's responses and working up a list of everything that comes in. 

I'm working on how it will all be put together as we speak, and will post more details as soon as I can! 

There's a (currently no-frills) blog up here (glitchthedocumentary.blogsp...) where I'll post updates, and there's a funding campaign here (igg.me/p/278952?a=275415) to go towards technical and hardware costs if you feel you'd like to donate, but for now, if you have a way that you want to contribute towards celebrating Glitch on film, please just post here! 

(I'll also be contacting various other thread posters about creative efforts, so watch this space!) 

Thanks, 

- FF

Posted 11 years ago by Feverfew Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• You mentioned in the other thread that you 'kinda' had access to editing programs- I have the full Adobe Suite, it's a legal copy and I know how to use it, so I can always help with the editing. However, since I'm kind of out in the middle of nowhere compared to most Glitchen who are over in the States, I realise you might like to work with someone else who's easier to meet up with in person. 

Nevertheless, that's what I have. :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Cefeida Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That'd be amazing! I'm really interested in the idea of community / open source editing. 

If I can put my editor hat on for a second - it has sparkles - then all I'm really thinking about is getting everything in the same resolution / definition for the final export. Putting footage together from lots of different sources / equipment is always interesting! 

So I'm thinking that if everyone out there who wants to be involved comes up with their personal contribution - be it a short video or a song or a picture or a piece of animation (and wouldn't it be cool to pair up musicians with animators?) then I'll collate them and edit them all together. 

So I will be taking you up on that offer - thanks! 
  • Getting the same res (or as close as- we don't want to exclude someone just because their camera isn't good enough!) is the first and most crucial step, so good thinking, sparkly! ;) And with the speed of the internet nowadays, and the many many ways to transfer large files, you shouldn't have too much of an issue with getting the material together.

In fact that's how it often works, no one person does a whole film on their own- there's teams and they have assigned jobs, and everyone follows specifications so the final product is easily put together. Er...sorry if I'm stating something you already know! But nowadays people don't have to be in the same room to work on a project together, and that's an awesome thing to remember.

Anyway. This is all details to be talked about later :P My email is tymian AT gmail.com if you want to put me in your top secret project files :P
  • @Cefeida: That's exactly it! Nobody should be excluded on any grounds, really, if at all possible. 

And you're right, distributed film-making is truly the way forward. I'm interested in how that would work in terms of file transfers, though, considering the potential size - is that something that could be done by legal torrenting, do you think? I've only had to deal with it in limited terms before... 

I'm going to put together a user-friendly document regarding recording resolutions, sizes, camera types, sounds, etcetera and make it available here to anyone that wants to contribute. I'll email you the draft copy before I sent it out to make sure it makes sense though :D

@Everybody! Also! Please see the other thread (here! http://www.glitch.com/forum/general/29468/) as suggestions for alternate names for this enterprise are now all open to consideration! 
  • Torrents could work, or an FTP server (my first thought- we could set that up expressly or use space on someone's website), or even Dropbox or Google Docs (which now allows all kinds of files). Lots of solutions.

You're going to need a script, most importantly, otherwise you'll drown in submitted material...
  • Is this still happening?
    Posted 11 years ago by TomC Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Im in the same boat as Cefeida only in the states and it would be a compleat honer to help in something like this... i also howver whold hate to kick Cefeida out of a job... may i sugjest i team up???
    Posted 11 years ago by Smiling Flounder Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Team ups would be epic! Sorry for not replying sooner. 

I'm just going to email Cefeida with the draft version of the guidelines, and will be back tomorrow with more information! 
  • I have a number of existing songs which might be useful to this project, and I would also be more than happy to write other bits of music if needed after game closure - bits of filler, singing about something specific, whatever.

I also do various kinds of artwork and would quite like to try to do some sort of stop-motion paper-cut animation relating to Glitch - but I've never done this before and don't necessarily have all the kit I'd need. Anyone with experience in this area?
    Posted 11 years ago by Theremina Lute Subscriber! | Permalink
  • coolio ill message cefe to see if she whold need the help
  • also i did a stop motion thing in school once... its more or less effort than anything :) if you have the time the paper and the camura ud be ok
  • Actually, I need to think about lighting and positioning; I might need to make an animation frame. But if I did that, and got a better lamp, I'd probably be all right.
    Posted 11 years ago by Theremina Lute Subscriber! | Permalink
  • bump
  • @Feverfew - your idea of having a user friendly guide is great! I'd love to assist you with that project. I'm an excellent nonfiction writer and teacher. I'm also very detail oriented, and can easily find and fix incorrect grammar, confusing statements, and awkward wording in a document - no matter what the subject is. Please keep me in mind for this!
    Posted 11 years ago by Ann DramaDuh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks Ann! Please email me at thefirstofremember@hotmail.com soonest about this, and I'll forward on what I have for checking. 

It's pretty user-friendly, but the only thing I worry about is that I've included too much film-specific jargon and phrases, because no matter how hard I try, they creep in! 
  • So excited to read the latest news on this project!
    Posted 11 years ago by Daisy Blooms Subscriber! | Permalink
  • News! 

Guidelines for submission can now be downloaded from (hopefully) this link: (https://www.yousendit.com/download/WUJZYUowNXZrUm5sZThUQw

A few people have got in touch and volunteered their services in various ways, but we need more people whenever, wherever, however! 

If you do anything artistic - videos, paintings, animation, music, poetry, whatever - or if you just want to talk for a couple of minutes about a favourite experience in Glitch that you'd like saved for posterity, download the guidelines and get in touch! 

WE NEED YOU! 
  • We still need contributors - so if you're reading this: WE (STILL!) NEED YOU! 

If you have snaps you'd like to share, or poems, stories, anything, really, please get in touch, soonest!