Topic

Post-Glitch get-together - LONDON MEET-UP DETAILS

There are a number of UK Glitchen around. Anyone feel like meeting in person after the game closes? Either before Christmas or in early January?

I'm thinking of London as all trains go there and it's near-ish for me, but if there is a large contingent elsewhere we could shift or do more than one thing.

Please say if you would maybe or definitely be up for attending. If we get a critical mass of people I will look into locations, dates, timing etc.

EDITED TO ADD EVENT INFO:

Glitchen will be meeting!

Date and time: Saturday 19 January 2013 from 1pm. Don't know how late we'll finish but try to arrive before 3pm to be sure of joining in the fun.

Place: The Mad Hatter Hotel back bar, which I have booked. I will make sure there is a Glitch-related SOMETHING visible to let you know where to go within the pub.
Address: The Mad Hatter Hotel, 3-7 Stamford Street, London. SE1 9NY
Directions/map at the venue website. This venue is near to various tube and rail stations.

Things to do: Have some food, have some nice drinks, talk. If you would like to play games or otherwise do Glitchy-themed things, someone will have to put those together, so please share ideas and help to make that happen - I will not be able to do all that myself.

Please share this information with anyone who might want to come to the event.

This event won't be in the right place for everyone - please do not feel that just because this event is happening you can't organise something else, elsewhere. I think there is a lot of interest in meeting up with other Glitchen.

Posted 11 years ago by Theremina Lute Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 3 Next
  • We will be meeting today, but if some people are up for another go in the spring we can do that too. How about March? We should be safe from snow by then!
  • I am with you in spirit!  I know that you will all have so much fun.  Don't forget to post more about that fun later.
    Posted 11 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Our trains seems to be running OK so we're still planning to come, we may have to leave a little earlier than we'd othwerise have planned but that shuld still give us several hours of glitchy fun.
    Posted 11 years ago by Mocha Maid Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm well on my way, with my ukulele and my Glitch pouch as identifying features :)
  • I got up a little later than planned and now stuck at work...  Pics please!  I also vote for a spring meetup!  If you guys are monitoring this thread and it turnis into an all evening type of thing, please let me know and I might try to brave the snow and get into London
    Posted 11 years ago by tass timez Subscriber! | Permalink
  • How was/is this? :3
    Posted 11 years ago by Palindrome Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Can we have another meet-up later in the year? Please? 8- ) (attempt at big, puppy-dog eyes)
  • We met at 1, departed at 9!!!
    And good things came of it, too :D
    (even if Theremina didn't like my drawing hehe)
    Posted 11 years ago by Marky Thirteen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm just back in Watford.  Thanks to Theremina for organising and to everyone who made it - eight of us in all.  I believe there will be pics ...

The food in the Mad Hatter was quite good as pub food goes and all of us that ate managed to use vouchers :)  There would easily have been room for a larger group.
    Posted 11 years ago by Josiah Thimblerig Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you Theramina - and everyone, for a chilled and enjoyable afternoon/evening :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Violet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Now about this pantomime...
    Posted 11 years ago by snygyst Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Haha
  • Are the British Glitchen going to GO to the pantomime or are they going to BE IN a pantomime? Who's going to be the horse, who's going to be the dame?  (And btw, British Glitchen, you'll have to explain what a British pantomime is to the American, Australian, Chinese etc. Glitchen out there who are probably very puzzled...)
    Posted 11 years ago by Silvery Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hey guys, thanks for the lovely time at the pub, it was great meeting you all! Let me know when you have pics and let's keep in touch! (I've got all my contact info back at my profile). Meanwhile, seems like I need to learn a bit more about pantomimes :)
    Posted 11 years ago by bitmOO Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hey bitMoo, Harrumps, Josiah, Marky and cleo13 are you on G+ or FB or something?

Pantomime: A traditionally British entertainment, usually staged at Christmas. It is normally a stage play based on traditional kiddies stories and is performed for kids, especially big kids (THIS MEANS GLITCHEN!!). The audeince interacts with the players. 
    In the past the male lead was played by a woman who liked slapping her thighs. The dame was usually played by a male with overdone make-up, excessively large protuberances and no dress-sense. There was always a baddie (Evil step-mother, rookist etc) who would be booed and jeered as they walked on the stage. The goodies (Cinderella, Aladdin, me etc) would be greeted with cheers. The acting was always over-the-top.
    Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adb3Sfo__nE
  • OOh..pantomime:-)  Hey guys.. it was nice meeting all of you yesterday.. time flew when we were discussing all the fun we had in Glitch.. Looking forward to the pantomime..thanks Threremina for organising this..
    Posted 11 years ago by !$Harrump$! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks to everyone who came along - it was a really good afternoon and I had a great time. I enjoyed meeting every one of you and loved the range of conversations we had. I'd love to see you all again!

For those who couldn't make it - I am definitely keen for there to be another get-together in a few months' time, after the weather improves. I'd be willing to organise it, but if I do it'll be in London again, or at best Oxford. If someone else would like to arrange a meeting elsewhere, please do speak up! If you're unsure, do realise that all I did was find a no-cost, available space in a nice pub, check that we could informally reserve it, and let people know a date and time to be there. It wasn't very complicated and I didn't do much herding of Glitchen.
  • And for those wondering - the thing about the pantomime is about 50% a joke! We were discussing various aspects of Glitch and came up with the idea of a Glitch-based panto, involving Rookists, conspiratorial bubble trees and probably tinfoil hats. I don't know whether this will ever be completed, or whether it'll be a fanfic, an animation or a performable script, but the discussion was hilarious! I have some notes on the beginning of the story...
  • Oh yes, forget to say that our modest Theremina entertained us all with music and song (in between Glitchy doodling).
  • I suppose Helga would be the dame...? I suggest you start looking for a male Glitch of ample proportions to do the lady justice. 
    I'd LOVE to see a Glitch panto. I'd hop on a Eurostar and pay good money to see it, just for the sheer joy of being able to shout 'Behind you!' when the rooks came on stage (slowly) to attack the poor unsuspecting Glitchen/chickens/other livestock.

For those who live in countries without panto: you don't know what you're missing. I once saw Ian McKellen (of Gandalf fame) in London cross-dressing as a dame and addressing us as "My loyal subjects" for the people in the expensive seats, "My loyal objects" for the people on the first balcony, "My loyal rejects" for the people in the cheap seats in the gods. Panto is hilarious, and you get to sing, and to shout at the baddies, boo, hiss, etc. It's very tongue in cheek and very, very British.
    Posted 11 years ago by Silvery Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yay! Good to see a photo - so sorry I missed it. We should definitely do a spring meet, when the snow and ice won't get in the way!

(Both London and Oxford are good for me)
    Posted 11 years ago by dopiaza Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It was great to meet everyone (altho I think I got a little tiddly lol) and many fun interesting conversations were had....

Can't wait for the next one :D

By the way Snygyst - I am on FB -- follow the links on my profile page
  • Hi Marky, I followed wrong link when I checked before and couldn't load page. I only wanted to know so that I could send you link to photo.
    You may get a friendship request from shadowfire on FB, although I rarely venture there.
  • Oxford sounds good and puts it in in reach of people further west and north of London, although not quite so nifty for people in the SE.
  • I'm easy. Either way :D
    Can get coach from Victoria to Oxford :)
  • Oxford would be harder for us because we'd have to go into London and out again.

Is Birmingham an option?  There seem to be trains to there from Reading ...
  • It's an option for me though I don't really know what the good venues are. I offered Oxford because I used to live there, so know it quite well. If anyone would like to suggest a venue in another city, please do!
1 2 3 Next