Topic

Game: Mage Faire

www.magefaireonline.com/

Open for Alpha testing, sign up at website, nonviolent Sandbox MMO, info at site as well

Posted 11 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

•  link for the alpha sign up
    Several have received confirmation for the alpha list. Others are eagerly awaiting word. Be sure to check out the blog and FAQ. No, it will not be free to play which seems to be a point of contention for some people.
    They are happy to have all the interest. From their Facebook page and email received: "A special warm invitation goes out to all you Glitch refugees out there!"
    Posted 11 years ago by JW Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for this, Lyrical DejaVu and JW - I've signed up for alpha testing!
    Posted 11 years ago by Mocha Maid Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Also signed up for Alpha testing - thank you for the heads up.
    Posted 11 years ago by Mnēmē Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Christmas evening update-Alpha sign up is now prominent on every page of the site. 
    The more Glitchen the merrier!
  • Took a few days, but I just got confirmation I'm on the Alpha mailing list:

You are on our alpha mailing list! Sorry for the delay in responding. There have been many more alpha requests in my inbox than I anticipated. It's taking a bit of time to respond to them all, but we're truly grateful for each and every one.

Maybe (hopefully) they're being deluged by Glitchen? :)
    Posted 11 years ago by buddhakitty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think they are! Just got mine, although it had been erroneously sent to my spam box.
    Posted 11 years ago by Payday Subscriber! | Permalink
  • MAGIC POWERS
    I'm signing up!
    Posted 11 years ago by Palindrome Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A blog post about us:
    www.magefaireonline.com/a-w...
  • They get huge props for sending a very kind message to future players that played Glitch in their blog. Reading it was awesome and almost made me cry.

I hope they do well, I would love to find another game where the developers care about players as much as the Glitch team did.

For whatever reason I can't sign up for Alpha, but that is ok, I will wait and watch. It looks like it will be fun.
    Posted 11 years ago by Thursday Soleil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The developers there do seem pretty cool. (Orrick the Might >:D)
    I really like that they actually dedicated a blog post to another site, sorta.
  • Yay! I'm in!

True story about the spam- that's where my email from them ended up, for whatever reason.
    Posted 11 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Aww. They made me cry. They really get it. I like that. Looking forward to trying the game out. :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Wynella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm in too. Happy dance etc.
    Posted 11 years ago by snygyst Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Signed up and waiting. After reading the faq and watching the video I'm wondering if we could build a few streets of Ur there ?
    Posted 11 years ago by BlackWolf Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Signed up and waiting, spotted the blog post on Facebook (where I'm mostly hanging out these days, but not playing any games on it). It does look promising though and it's nice to know that there's some folks who understand what we're going through.
    Posted 11 years ago by Ayasta Subscriber! | Permalink
  • + gajillion to BlackWolf's comment.
    Posted 11 years ago by Thursday Soleil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • sad.

it is not F2P, which puts it out of my range.
    Posted 11 years ago by flask Subscriber! | Permalink
  • For me, it just depends on the cost of "mana." I'm not rich by any means but I'm open to watching and waiting.

The blog post had me teary-eyed again, for myself and for everyone who has lost a second, in-game, home due to MMO closures.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kridla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It was JW's find....THANKS!!! and I'll see everyone when Alpha happens!
  • i signed up. but...it isn't free to play? WAAAA. that probably means i cant play it. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Kristabel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • From the Mage Faire FAQ: "Mana is needed to fuel your magic, but each mana supply acts like a reasonably-priced tank of gas in the mundane world: with it you can fuel a lot of powerful magic. You will be able to purchase mana as frequently (or infrequently) as you like."

So it sounds like we will be free to chat and explore other people's creations, and we can pay as much or as little as desired for the use of magic. Sort of like buying credits in Glitch, Lindens in Second Life, etc., rather than a subscription.

Anyway, there's no such thing as completely free-to-play, as far as I've seen. With for-profits, either players pay the service directly through one-time fees, subscriptions or currency purchases, or players pay indirectly as an audience for advertising. Nonprofits I've seen are supported by funding from content providers, so the world is potentially shaped by funders even more so than with for-profits. And government-supported virtual worlds would just be creepy.
    Posted 11 years ago by Ooloi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 Ooloi

Wow! Mage Faire looks amazing! I am really excited about this one! The graphics are lovely. They have a gentle, welcoming spirit. No PvP or monsters. No adult content. Totally sandboxy. Amazing possibilities for dress up and decoration. And very social too. Double wow!

And I am glad it is not free to play. I think it is just and fair for game developers and support staff to be paid for their hard work. Good grief, especially after seeing what just happened to Glitch! Paying for mana is a bargain compared to going from one failing game to another. If paying for mana keeps the game alive and healthy and growing then I am happy to pay. Or look at ads. Or participate in whatever they are doing to keep their business going. Good for them for having enough sense to be practical about it.

And it does look like it would be almost free if you are primarily interested in socializing as opposed to dressing up and decorating. And I saw something about being able to get mana from other players for in-game tasks. So while it may not be completely free, it looks like it could be extremely low cost to play.

Thank you thank you, JW and Lyrical DejaVu for bringing this to our attention.
    Posted 11 years ago by Miss Bobbit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bump
    Posted 11 years ago by Axa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bump another 'gain.
    Posted 11 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This looks like it's worth soooooo many bumps. I feel all hopey & I'm really looking forward to alpha.
    Posted 11 years ago by Aleph Zero Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This seems like a game that I would play. Thank you for sharing this with us all. The community/staff seems well as they made a very kind blog directed towards the Glitch community. Hopefully I get my alpha email soon :). Hope you see you guys around.
    Posted 11 years ago by Dr.CookieEater Subscriber! | Permalink
  • it looks like a game that will never take off and you'll soon have to find a new game is what it looks why. Why does everyone who plays Glitch jump from one failing underground game to the next? FS-> Glitch ->MF?? Also looks like it was designed by a 40 year old bellydancer and her thirteen year old son who is interested in game design does it not?
    Posted 11 years ago by Yves Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mostly just tht Minecraft is the exact same idea except with better funding, application, and more reliability to have your time spent on something that will still be there in 2 years.
    Posted 11 years ago by Yves Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Yves

I really like the look of MF. For one thing it is unique which is good, second it is not hipster looking which I also think is a big plus.

I think the intense jewel-tone colors and painterly style are reminiscent of heaven in the 1999 movie "What Dreams May Come" which won an oscar for best visual effects. I've always loved that movie for the combination of gorgeous visuals and disturbing content. Maybe I am letting my affection for the movie influence my expectations for the game...

Why is it that we Glitchen are not satisfied with established mainstream games? Because we are who we are!
    Posted 11 years ago by Miss Bobbit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mage Faire forums are open www.magefaireonline.com/for...
    for those looking for beauty, creativity, and friendship in a peaceful world. ☼
  • Thank you all for this topic!! I went and signed up- hope i get into alpha.It looks like an interesting, sandboxy world. I find the "your avatar is a 2d cutout" to be intriguing... not sure that i will like that part, but its very interesting sounding.i also like that you can link/attach your estate to a group hall or to your friends! I admired many of you for your prodigious creativity in art, house decorating, picture taking, mini game and adventure creating, and writing--- I truly, sincerely cant WAIT to see what you all create in the Faire.;)
    Posted 11 years ago by serenitycat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • We like the "different" less mainstream games, Why?, because to be honest most mainstream games are just copies of basic game concepts, that never even TRY to be different and never take a chance stepping outside of the box. Regardless of graphics I'll give non traditional games more of  a look, because they know their vision won't appeal to mainstream gamers, but they also arent trying to. Instead they ARE appealing to non-traditional gamers, and guess what, its a smaller audience, and thats us! Thats why we loved Glitch, even if it means getting our hearts broke again, some of these games will survive, and truth be told were simply going to love them the best!
  • This game seems to have about as much in common with Minecraft as any other world-building sandbox.  

And Minecraft started out with even less behind it than this game has, so you're kind of shooting your own argument in the foot just by mentioning it.  
    Posted 11 years ago by Saucelah Subscriber! | Permalink