Topic

I made a tiny "christmas present" for you :)

*** Please check mini-glitch.tumblr.com (password "Glitch") for updates when the forum is closed!! ***

Hey, my Glitch-y friends!
I tried my best to make a little "christmas present" for y'all!
It's a tiny recreation of Glitch that uses your own avatar which you have to download beforehand. That's why I'm releasing it now (even though it's not finished) - so you can download your avatar's sprites. You have to unzip the folder inside the zip file before you can play. Please read the README.txt for instructions and share the "game" with everyone! I hope you enjoy!! :D
The download link is  https://www.dropbox.com/s/fh4gidw9cfuy6nw/Miniglitch.zip .
Merry Glitchmas!

EDIT: After experimenting a bit with the music files, it's much smaller!

EDIT2: I updated the game again and now there are some more things to do/see:

+ I "activated" jumping (even though it's very buggy... I'll try my best to fix it!)
+ I improved the facial expressions
+ I know they don't live in Uralia, but I couldn't resist and I'm sure you will love them as well: HELIKITTIES!! :D

EDIT3: Now there are Chickens, a street in Nottis and a better readme file! :D

Posted 11 years ago by Dragonflyz Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

Previous 1 2
  • :D
    Posted 11 years ago by SeerQueen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • But I wanted doughnuts.....this is the worst Glitchmas ever.
    Posted 11 years ago by ☣ elf ☣ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ok, it sorta works but Im standing there scratching my ass continually, which if anyone knows me knows I only do half of the time, not all the time.
  • Just downloading it now.

elf - You do know they are only called dougnuts as they are made by putting your nuts through some dough. Jam doughnuts are the lady version - yeah, I went there
    Posted 11 years ago by Cleops Subscriber! | Permalink
  • uhm....what?

ok, fine....send bearclaws...
  • Thank you so very much <3 This is a great Christmas gift.
    Posted 11 years ago by TransplantedEntwife Subscriber! | Permalink
  • wow ty, seems I can only walk and scratch my butt but it's a nostalgia trip of the highest order. I get a "cant" message when I try to jump though. Still love it.
    Posted 11 years ago by snygyst Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Very nice, thanks.  I don't know how to put my avatar into it, but just being able to move and listen to the music is wonderful.   Thoughtful and welcome gift.  :-)
    Posted 11 years ago by Whatthehay Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you so much, especially for the piggies - Lol!
    Posted 11 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Careful what you ask for ☣ elf ☣, you might end up with the bear attached to those claws. ;-)
    Posted 11 years ago by Fors Farwalker Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you! This is great!
    Posted 11 years ago by DOOMy Nutpuncher Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Cute!  Thank you so much!  I love making my zombie do the Duh face!!!  (((HUGS)))
    Posted 11 years ago by kat65 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So I replace the default avatar with mine, how?
    Posted 11 years ago by Dagnabbit Rabbit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Everyone who asked: To use your own avatar's sprite, go to http://glitch-atlas.info/files/spritesheets.html and get all the images. The site explains exactly how to get them. You then have to rename them like the files in the Data folder and overwrite them.
    You can also read the README.txt for help.

Thank you, Glitchen! It makes me happy that you like it! :D
  • That sounds neat :]
    It's one big download though, what did you put in there that's so heavy?
    I keep trying to download it, but I'm gonna have a crappy web connexion all week :\
    Posted 11 years ago by Lemo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • TY.  I downloaded it to my Documents.  I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to computers.  Where do I find the README.txt?  I doubt that I'll be able to put my avatar in it.  It will be nice just to have the minigame. :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Marla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Dragonflyz-When I click on the link it gives me the option to download. I did that and figured I had to unzip the file. When I went to do that though, it said the file was empty. Do I have to do something through Dropbox or is there an error or something else I am missing?
    Posted 11 years ago by Holly Waterfall Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Windows claims the .zip-folder is empty and that "The compressed (zipped) folder is invalid"

:(
    Posted 11 years ago by Nutty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had the same problem with the invalid file so I went back and downloaded Dropbox first and then downloaded the glitch file and this time it worked for me.
    Posted 11 years ago by ~Senorita Snerkles~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Lemo: I think that's the music, I should have converted it to a smaller format... sorry!

@Marla: Try to open the file. If that doesn't work, you need a program like 7-zip or WinZip. When it's open, you should extract the file inside to e.g. your Documents. In that folder you'll find the README.txt and everything else.

@Holly Waterfall & Nutty: That never happened to me... try downloading it again, try another program for unzipping or do as ~Senorita Snerkles~ says and install Dropbox before downloading again.
  • worked fine for me . I love it. thanks flyz. I wish I could do programming I would help make it more. its a great memory to have. let me know of update you may make, or if I can help in any way.
    Posted 11 years ago by King Neptune Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This was cute, thank you!
    Posted 11 years ago by Vague Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Im still scratching my butt, and i need more bearclaws..
  • i am alive. i am in ur. i have my piggies and flutterbies. i feel a little better now. i needed this. forever indebted. big time thanks
    Posted 11 years ago by coolbettycakes Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yay! managed to download it this time, thanks for re-encoding the music to a decent size
    I liked how you animated the butterflies, my version didn't have any of those ;) (nice snow also!)
    So, out of curiosity, did you code everything from scratch, or are you using some game making thingie?
  • very cute! thanks so much!
    Posted 11 years ago by CoffeeSnob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you very much! This is so nice, I love the snow :D Still not figure out what I can do apart from taking snaps and moving left and right continuously, and scratching butt, haha

Great Christmas gift I had this year :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Bu-chan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • THANK YOU!!!!!!!! This truly made me smile from ear to ear!!!
    Posted 11 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Lemo: I knew someone would ask this... haha. I'm using Game Maker and I have very little experience with it. I just started using it again to make this little game.^^
    Unlike you, I definitely needed much more time to program this than four hours... did you have any prior knowledge to programming?

@All: I'm soooo happy that you like it! You encourage me to develop this further! :D Thank you!

Please make sure to download the latest version! :)
  • Awww, very sweet Dragonflyz.  (BTW, I would not have guessed that English isn't your first language; the readme is very well done.)
    Posted 11 years ago by Fnibbit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Dragonflyz I didn't have any prior "real" programming knowledge (like c++ and stuff), but I've been playing for a while with easier stuff like flash and actionscript, processing, autohotkey
    And I had the time to spend some time with the glitch API lately while doing my Glitch Companion

I heard Construct may be easier than GM though, I'll have a try later to see the differences
    But before adding a lot of features here, maybe you should consider html5 export (which is free in C2) if you want to get as close as Glitch
    And you're only targeting windows users here...
  • @Fnibbit: Thank you very much! :D

@Lemo: Well, I installed Construct and opened it, but the first impression wasn't that good so I closed it again.. I will probably give it another try, though.
    I think the advantage of GM is to actually have a programming language (GML) which is useful in advanced projects. - I couldn't find one in Construct. Also, I don't feel like programming the whole thing again or learning another *limited* (compared to "real" programming languages) way of creating games.
    I can export my games to html5 as well, but I have no idea what to do with the created files and I think the whole "use your own avatar" feature would be lost as well.
    So.. I'll stay with GM for the time being. :P
  • @Dragonflyz Yup C2 doesn't have a script language, but when people need more functions, they can also develop plugins for construct with the javascript sdk (and share those on the forums)
    About html5, I see you're using dropbox, so you could just as well serve the html file in a public folder, as explained here (I'm using the same thing with Google drive as a mirror for my game of orbs)
  • Hi.  I downloaded the first version.  When I unzipped it I got the first screen "inofficial gluitch world by Dragonflyz".  Then it went to Uralia with a signpost reading Ilmenskie.  i got music but nothing else happened.  I didn't see a glitch or piggies or anything. What did I do wrong?  Should I just delete all this and download again?
  • Thank you! although I'm having the same problem as Marla, glitch is just standing there, scratching her butt lol. Oh I just saw a piggy, I can't make the glitch move though.  OH wait, I can move her now, but whenever she stops, she is scratching her butt lol.
    Posted 11 years ago by Hollyhawk Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, ans you have to download your avatar before the mini glitch? exactly how are you supposed to do it? Ive downloaded it before but it's not using mine.
    Posted 11 years ago by Hollyhawk Subscriber! | Permalink
  • *stands there and scratches butt*
    Posted 11 years ago by Kristabel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Marla, the same happened to me but if you extract all the files, save them then run it it will work
    Well done Dragonflyz!
    Posted 11 years ago by Momo McGlitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ok it works now feels so good to control my little glitch again :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Nutty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Lemo: I'll look into this.

@Marla: The folder Data has to be in the same directory as the game. You can't see a Glitch if the game can't find the sprites. 

@Hollyhawk: You have to put the sprite sheets in the Data folder and name them like the ones that are there already. E.g., the sprite "edc828311452b15a203901a09878a373_1350228905_angry.png" needs to be named "angry.png". 

@All: The "butt scratching" is normal; the idle1 animation is the only one consisting of a single row in the sprite sheet. I simply don't know how to import external sprite strips with multiple rows, but as soon as I find out how to do this, I'll try to make random idle animations.
  • How do I get the Helikitties :D
    Posted 11 years ago by NightDraconis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @NightDraconis: Make sure you have the latest version of the "game" and walk to the right - they should be there! :D
  • My readme.txt is all in aschii. I can't read it.
    Posted 11 years ago by ~Senorita Snerkles~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • that's so cute thanks!

I have just been bouncing my glitch about in it :D
    Posted 11 years ago by JoClairey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Okay now I have your glitch, 3 piggies and 2 butterflies.  When I go to the right it's okay until I get to approximately the middle of the paper tree then I just get large bands of color until the very edge (right-hand side).  Any suggestions? Anyone?
  • Whoa, an Offline version of Glitch could be PERFECT
    Posted 11 years ago by Mikan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @~Senorita Snerkles~: Try downloading it again or use another program for unzipping.

@Marla: I have no idea... Did you try restarting your computer? Sorry, but I can't think of a solution for this... :(

@Mikan: Yeah, it COULD be... but it isn't... :P
  • Hi Dragonflyz, could you possibly add an extra text note in your dropbox folder to indicate new updates etc?
    Posted 11 years ago by snygyst Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you very much :D

I've downloaded the game.
    I've got my TSID but, when I put it in to the site and click it just sits there saying your sprite sheets loading... but doesn't seem to actually load. Is this a long process normally (i.e. should I wait more?) or is something going wrong?
    Posted 11 years ago by Vialdana Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @vialdana maybe check naming conventions of each individual sprite file.? look at the sprite sheets in the Data folder and name them like the ones that are there already. then replace old ones with new named ones.  E.g., the sprite "edc828311452b15a203901a09878a373_1350228905_angry.png" needs to be named "angry.png" and replace the "angry.png" that is there.   ??? hope this helps, also try the read me txt. it worked for me :) 

i download the updated version of the app. i copy/pasted just the exe. into the old version folder. with both in the same folder, either version can use one sprite source and i can decide which version i want to play. 
    Posted 11 years ago by coolbettycakes Subscriber! | Permalink
Previous 1 2