Topic

Glitch Fic - Wonder: After the Awakening

Well, I've been mostly offline over the holidays and hooray! the forums didn't shut down! I'm just posting to let people know my new story set in the world of Ur is still going strong. It updates Mondays and will keep going until... well until I finish it I guess.

The story follows Wonder, a Glitchen who came into being just as the Giants were waking up and everyone else was blinking out of existence. Now Wonder is making friends and trying to figure out what to do in this abandoned world.

If you're interested in reading it you can follow along here:

Wonder: After the Awakening

Posted 11 years ago by WallCrawlingHero Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• That is very lovely.
    Posted 11 years ago by Artistech Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks. It's been fun and kind of cathartic to write.
  • thanks for updating the post -- I enjoyed the first chapter and look forward to catching up when I am less sleepy!  

One minor grammatical note though - 'glitchen' is the plural form for glitch, which is the singular.  The word glitchen came not from the game but from the community.  Originally we were "Just plain 'Glitches'" (Posted 3 years ago by stoot barfield).  I liked glitchizen for the singular, but that never caught on.  

'Glitchen' was cemented as official when Lelu's lovely Good Night Groddle was added to the game, and although I know at least one of the devs thought it was a silly word, I'm pretty sure it eventually made it into official game dialogue.  But not as a singular.  And don't forget, as I'm sure you know, "'Glitchens' is NOT A WORD" ! 

... and this has been katlazam's front porch rocking chair glitch memories and pedantry hour  ;)
    Posted 11 years ago by katlazam Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ah, thanks for the input, katlazam! I haven't been around as long as a lot of other users. I remember searching the forum posts a while ago for the proper terminology to use, but I guess I got it confused somewhere along the way.
  • OK, fixed it.
  • I'm really enjoying the story and I'm curious to see where you'll go with it. :) I had misplaced the link from your other post so I'm glad you posted about it again. <3

Oh, by the way: In the male version of First Steps, there's some gender confusion with Koro because you switch in the same line. I think you've decided Koro is female in both versions, so I just wanted to point this out:

Koro lowered his head. “I’m sorry, kid, it’s a long story.” She looked back up. “What’s your name anyway?”
    Posted 11 years ago by Moonie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Whoops, thanks for catching that. The funny thing is I originally wrote Koro as a male. I'm not sure why, because I don't remember doing it and whenever I think about her it's always as a female. I didn't even realize it myself until I went back to revise what I had written and noticed all the "hes" and "hims."

It's fixed.
  • For the record, corrections are always welcome. I wrote and edited this on my own so I don't always catch everything, and there's always room for improvement.
  • It's Monday, new chapter is up! We meet some new characters and it's the longest chapter yet to make up for last week's short one. Enjoy!

Wonder: After the Awakening
  • Monday means there's a new chapter! I've also updated the blog a bit and added a character page.
  • New chapter! Koro finds herself in an awkward position.
  • This is so awesome! Thank you so much for writing it! :)
    Posted 11 years ago by L-Star 235 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks! I'm glad you like it! I still haven't finished it, but I'm getting near the end. I think, once it's done and edited I'll bump up the release schedule to like 2-3 chapters a week. I hate this slow once a week time table, but I was only a few chapters in when I started the blog and I need the extra time to get it done and put them out consistently on time.
  • A Quest!

It's Monday! Time for a new Chapter. Things are happening and our band of adventurers are finally getting some direction instead of just wandering aimlessly

http://wonderafterawakening.blogspot.com
  • I was a little late in getting the blog updated, but there's a new chapter up now.
  • Sorry, guys. Forgot to do the update until just now. New chapter's up. See what happens inside Jethimadh Tower.
  • So excited to read it! Not time right now, but glad you are still writing this. :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Lorian Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm glad people are still reading it. Honestly I started this as kind of a way to manage my own grief after the shut down. I hoped other people would like it, but I really just expected to be writing it mostly for myself. I don't get a lot of feedback, but the traffic shows a pretty steady group of people still tuning in. I know stuff like this isn't for everyone so I take the lack of "You suck and you're a bad writer" comments as a positive.

After I write, edit and schedule a chapter I add it to the Table of Contents. As of right now I have up through chapter 13 written and scheduled. They're all scheduled to post Mondays at noon Central time automatically. I have to update the Table of Contents manually, which I sometimes forget if I get too busy at work. If it's after noon on a Monday and I haven't posted on here or the Table of Contents isn't updated you an always find the new chapter via the navigation on the side of the page.

I've got one, maybe two, more chapters to write before this story is done. Once they're all finished I'd like to speed up the release schedule to maybe 3 or 4 a week and get the story up in its entirety much sooner than what's scheduled now.
  • OK, quick update. The story is finished, edited and scheduled. I've moved the releases up from once a week to three times a week starting next week. Check the table of contents if you want exact dates, but starting next Monday new chapters will automatically post Monday, Wednesday and Friday until the story is done, which should only actually be about two weeks from now.

I have a few other very small Glitch related things to post and I'd like to get some maps up showing the company's journey because I'm a big fan of maps. Hopefully now that the writing is done and the story is told I can get the other stuff up relatively quickly.

I hope everyone enjoys the ending I've written and thanks for reading along.
  • I've just read the whole thing (so far), and I really enjoyed it. At least Ur can live on in our imaginations. :)  Looking forward to the rest of the chapters!
    Posted 11 years ago by FouRoux Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Chapter 10 posted yesterday, I just forgot to update the table of contents again. My brain is scattered because we're in the process of buying a house so my attention is severely divided. Table of Contents is updated now and don't forget; a new chapter hits tomorrow and then another on Friday.

I'm super sad to hear that the forums are closing March 25th, but this story will be done before then and I'll still be around on the forums until the end. Hope to see you all here on the last day!

For anyone curious about the contents of the latest Chapter, here's a hint: the chapter is titled "Room 23" and it's the real turning point of Wonder's story. Enjoy!
  • Chapter 11 is up and it's the longest Chapter title yet. So, yay for that I suppose?
  • New chapter is up and I've made it easier to navigate through chapters if you're catching up. I added links to the previous and next chapters at the bottom of all the pages so you don't have to keep switching back to the table of contents.
  • New chapter is up like clockwork. Only one more to go (the epilogue will go up at the same time). Stick around to see how it all shakes out!
  • I will always remember this game as the crazy, silly,eye opening, Beautifully crafted, And A up all nighter thank you very much for the greatest game i have ever played I will always remember that wacky and hilarious game called glitch. Also The guano was great too
    Posted 11 years ago by zoey10189st Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is it. The last update. The entire story is up now, including notes for each chapter. Think of them as commentary for the story. It's purely self-indulgent, but I thought someone might enjoy reading them.

I hope everyone enjoyed reading the story as much as I enjoyed writing it. And thanks to everyone who followed along chapter by chapter. I'll still be poking around here on the forums until they kick us out, but this is it for the blog. It'll stay online, but I don't expect to update it any further unless it's to fix some grammatical/spelling errors in the text.

Thanks again for reading.
  • Thank you!  I have looked forward to each new chapter.  It has made the loss of Ur the first time a little more bearable even if now to lose it once again. 
    Fare thee well fellow Glitchen
    Posted 11 years ago by cinnamom6 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was late coming to this story and I think I'm kinda glad I was.  I *loved* reading through beginning to end.  Even though it brought back some of that heartache, it brought back all the joy and the awesome memories.  Thank you for this... I loved every word of it! <3
    Posted 11 years ago by spacekadt Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Argh! I'm such an idiot! I completely forgot I did have another content update to do.

I have three other pieces relating to Glitch, but not related to Wonder's story, that I wanted to post on the blog. They're up now in the table of contents below the Wonder chapters under the heading "Other Notes."

"Standing on the Edge of a New Day" was the first note I ever wrote with the intention of dropping it in Ur for a stranger to find.

"The Half-Forgotten Ones" is a horror story based on the "Notice the Unnoticeable" quest told through "found" journal entries. On Zilloween I left these pages at the locations where I found my Phantom Glitchen.

"End of Days" is a copy of the notes I left around Ur after the shutdown announcement.

I'm gad you guys liked the story. I had a lot of fun writing it and it definitely helped dull the pain of the game being shut down. Thanks for the kind words and helpful suggestions.