Topic

Social MMO: Please give feedback! TIA!

I'm kicking around a few ideas for a social MMO I'm developing, and would like some feedback.
I am asking which of the following options you think you could get the most of your friends/family to play.
I am explicitly NOT asking what you yourself like and would play, but rather what you think you could convince others to happily join in on. If you would play it too, that's a bonus. If you want to ADD what you like, that's great as well.

All options are NO PVP, and NO REQUIRED PVE.
(PVP=Player vs Player, PVE is Player vs Enemy (computer enemies))
I have been developing non-combat gameplay strategies for a few years, so fun without 'whack-a-mole' or too much grindiness should be more than possible.

General rules changes all games will embrace:
   Player housing and extensive customization should be in all
   Player crafting and design customization should be in all
   All combat (if appropriate) should be escapable for non-PVEers at some cost.
   Gameplay dynamics should make levels irrelevant to most grouping

The options are:
 - Fantasy MMO
      This covers most classic RPG ideas, except including support for merchants, scholars, etc.
 - Fantasy Anime
      This covers most classic Anime RPG ideas, except including support for scientists, students, etc.
      This could be PVE, as anime tropes are very forgiving of mistakes.
 - Historical
      (Renaissance/Victorian/Other 'Non-War focused')
      Haven't decided on fantasy/steampunk inclusion.
 - Modern Supernatural
      Modern day, but with a mix of magic/monstrous plot & event dynamics.
      Not Horror, but some horror elements
 - Modern Sci-Fi
      Modern day, but with a mix of high tech/alien plot & event dynamics.
      Time Travel is not a likely inclusion, but limited slowdows/Speedups possible
 - Modern Anime
      Modern day, but with a mix of anime look, plot & event dynamics
      Will include Chibi emotes & the like
 - Futuristic/'Casual' Sci-Fi
      Future, with a mix of high tech/space travel plot & event dynamics
      Haven't decided on mech inclusion/exclusion

So, if you could take the time to respond- it would help me a lot. I'm nearing the final stages of general design, and could use the feedback for further streamlining before doing the next stage.

Please choose BOTH a first & second choice of:
 - Fantasy MMO
 - Fantasy Anime
 - Historical
 - Modern Supernatural
 - Modern Sci-Fi
 - Modern Anime
 - Futuristic/'Casual' Sci-Fi

also give each any number of points to total 5. If you only choose 1, only give it 4 points- I will correct it in my calculations.
I know I haven't given many details- this is intentional- each design has many strengths and weaknesses of it's own, and I didn't want to overshadow the basic potential too much.
Any comments/suggestions are appreciated- and explanations for choices/points would be awesome.

Example:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
3- Historical
2- Futuristic/'Casual' Sci-Fi
All my friends like Historical
My family watches sci-fi regulary.
Modern Supernatural is what I like myself.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's it!
Thanks in advance!

Posted 11 years ago by Biofellis Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• 3 - Fantasy MMO
    2 - Fantasy Anime
    I don't have friends who play MMOs.
    My sister would play a fantasy MMO.
    I'd play almost anything you make, but I prefer Fantasy MMOs and Fantasy Anime.
    Posted 11 years ago by Scarf Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Historical/Fantasy MMO,
     anything that isnt a overly typical category really,
     i dont know others from reality that play games,

As an aside theres a few games already in development, just rather confused why you would chose to not help one of the projects already going, mostly the more brain power the better, and a game being planned only by one person and not a thinktank....well......
    Posted 11 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks Scarf!
       They don't have to be 'traditional MMOs'- we're talking about a new social game, like on facebook or even like glitch (as examples) that have a multiplayer core. Also, 4+3=5? You probably mean 3,2 but 4,1 is fine too.
    Lyrical DejaVu,
         Please pick a second choice- unless you only think that one is best.
         I've seen hundreds of games 'in development'- most of which never produce much, and a lot that suck up the effort & resources of team members and deliver less than a complete product. That's one point. I've been there before and am skeptical of jumping in too quickly again.
         The next is that, quite simply no one else is doing what I am- look at my 'general rules' for the gameplay design shift I'd like to work towards- i doubt you can find an MMO team that will really deliver to begin with- more or less one that doesn't embrace the 'monsters and hit points' paradigm. Most other projects are also very 'ad hoc' in design- slapping working bits of existing tech together, or just plain farming out any suspected or desired needs to anyone who thinks they can tackle it. Usually the code base gets virtually undecipherable if not downright ugly, with a huge learning curve- which is another thing I'm trying to limit.
    I'm not a 'think tank' already because I'm working on this until it's certain not to waste the time of anyone who wants to join in later. It's not that I'm not confident- it's that I want it to have as much substance and polish as possible.
    Thanks very much for your time & input- it gave me the opportunity to clarify those concerns others may have as well- any other questions, feel free!
  • Oh, oops. I didn't understand what you were saying about the points. I guess 3 and 2 would work.

I think that while there are a lot of games in development out there, I'm pretty much avoiding getting my hopes up - it's simply too early to know what will happen or if the other projects will die. It's a little vague as to what each game will play like, so I'll give them a shrug until something playable comes out because I have no idea what would make a game different and appealing. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Scarf Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was referencing the games being made by ex-Glitchen not just games in general, and yes some wont pan out, thats a given. That being said it makes much more sense to me to help those that have been think tanking since Glitch' demise, rather than further splinter efforts for all involved in similar goals. And ideas as to what ex Glitch players will want have been addressed, or have started to be addresed  to some degree in any of the main game projects. Your not asking for ideas as to what wed like your mostly just asking for generally genre classification. Thing is, while most of us have played all of the above, we LIKE different, so nothing typical is going to work very well. Originality is key. And yes a game being made by one person just doesn't sit with me well.
  • Modern Sci-fi.
    Posted 11 years ago by Misty Power Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Scarf,
    No problem- thanks. I know what you're saying & I agree. Edit your post points, I'll edit mine.
    Lyrical DejaVu,
    I'm not going to argue what seems to make the most sense, I'll just say that when I used to Gamemaster, I was very good, and that I am a very strong coder, artist, and 3d modeler on my own. The projects you refer to are all one 'guy with an idea & followers'. I'm not out of the running just because they have a 'headstart'- this isn't a race- and when I know I'm ready for assistance that will make the best use of volunteers time & effort, I too will form a project. It will not be a 'let's try this' whim, but a 'Let's make this' conviction.
    In truth this game was originally tooled for a high fantasy MMO design- because that's what I want to see. I will do that version eventually, but I started to think maybe one of the other genres I like might be more worthwhile to do first- because something more different & original does appeal to me. Also, shifting my focus does make me consider more options and make comparisons to make a better game overall- and also to enhance market viability. Mostly though, each genre has key gameplay dynamics most important to it- or sometimes unique to it-- that would be difficult to shoehorn in later, so considering that first is a good plan.
    As far as one man productions go- in the indy arena there are more of those than 'proper' team productions. Minecraft is the 'pinnacle' of the one man success story, and for MMOs, 'Love' (Yes, that's the name) shows that one man can do an MMO, and he's released half his code too.
    I understand your reservations, but remember- I'm not creating a team at this point. I'm just asking for feedback- which I appreciate very much. Feel free to ask anything you like- but if you could get others to help me out here too, that would be great! TIA!
    Misty Power,
    Thanks! I appreciate your taking the time to help me out!
  • And Historical and Fantasy are tied, so 2 & 2, a mix of both would be better yet. And yes all genres have generalized rules, expectations, however the more original the better, if your trying to attract a Glitch-like playerbase, i dont see any typical setting working out. As for one man productions, yes they sometimes work,  it has been done, but more typically its not MMO's its 1 player games.
  • Biofellis - what do "TIA" "PVE" and "PVP" stand for? Please understand that although almost everyone plays games and has great ideas, many are not familiar with the online game world's lingo. That being said, I give 5 points to Fantasy.
    Posted 11 years ago by Ann DramaDuh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lyrical DejaVu,
    Trust me- I'm doing a lot that's original. I'm not specifically trying to appeal to Glitchen, but I do think their perspective and style of play is definitely valuable and a strong consideration for a good social game. MMOs are one of the most complex styles of game a person can undertake, so the number of programmers that are willing to invest in and can code at that complexity is limited. It's not really that they are that hard- it's that they are that involved. I've seen a lot of source code- and you'd actually be surprised at how shabby some commercial code is compared to some indie code. That's just how it is. It has less to do with teams, than a cohesive lead- or sometimes member.
    Ann DramaDuh,
    Thanks! TIA is 'Thanks in Advance'- I clarified the others on the top post. Thanks for pointing that out!
  • I don't know many RL MMOers. The ones I do know would probably choose (in order of preference):
    Modern Sci Fi
    Historical
    They'd probably also prefer PVP and PVE.
    I prefer MMOs with No mandatory PVP. I've had awful experiences playing those games that required me to hunt down fellow players. Not to mention that my level of enjoyment decreases when any PVP is involved, even if it's "friendly." My top choices would be:
    Futuristic/'Casual' Sci-Fi (I used to be hard core grinder but those days are over for me)
    Fantasy MMO (truely tied with: Fantasy Anime)
    Also, I like games with a good hint of mystery and/or spiritual aspects (as in "the world holds unknown magic/special powers").
    Good luck with your game!
    Posted 11 years ago by Kridla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Kridla,
    Thanks for your feedback- your ideas are appreciated. One of the focuses of the game will be exploration, experimentation & discovery- similar to Glitch but more.
  • @Biofellis: That's good to hear because exploration, as it was in Glitch, was wonderful :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Kridla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Biofellis if your game (which i think will be) as meticulous as your tower was, it will be a delight and sign me up right now i wanna be the first member to apply.
    I know you are creating something wonderful and i will let my friends know as soon as it's ready.
    Posted 11 years ago by Feef Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Fantasy mmo
    Modern supernatural

My brother would play both, Fantasy and supernatural
    And my sister would play Fantasy mmo.
    I play all types of games :P
    Posted 11 years ago by Keeda Subscriber! | Permalink