Topic

Staff Topic

Keyboard problems, lag, low frame rates, focus issues in Google Chrome

STAFF NOTE: This topic is closed and been succeeded by this new thread opened up here. Please followup in that topic.

Somehow, an experimental or future version of Flash ended up built into one of the recent versions of Google Chrome, and this version is unstable and gives players problems with their keyboard, frame rates, lag, browser focus, and more.

The easiest way to fix this issue is to use another browser. Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari are all supported by Glitch and should not have this problem with the Chrome-specific version of Flash.

If you still want to use Chrome, try updating to the latest version of the browser by typing chrome://chrome/ in the address bar, then checking that page to see if you can update. 

If that doesn't help, we recommend that you install the most current, stable, standalone version of Flash player by downloading it here: adobe.com/go/getflash (the current version is now 11.4). Run the installer, then open Chrome and type chrome://plugins/ into the address bar. Find the listing for "Flash," under which should be at two listings. The one on Windows which is not Chrome specific will have a name similar to:
NPSWF32.DLL, or NPSWF32.DLL. Click *enable* on that version, and click *disable* any Flash version which is found in a subdirectory of Chrome. 
On a Mac, disable the Flash player which is within a directory called 'Google Chrome Framework.framework' and enable the one called:
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin

Posted 12 years ago by Herp Derp Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Thanks for the info, HD! I had just switched over to Chrome from Firefox strictly for the game and started noticing the problem over the weekend. Back to my beloved Firefox then!
    Posted 12 years ago by Mistress*of*Fishies Subscriber! | Permalink
  • OMG, ty!!
    I had the 11.3 r31 so changed it to run the 11.3 r300 and tried it in game - now my glitch no longer feels like it's running on a flat tire!!

AWESOME!!
    Posted 12 years ago by DustyHat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • lol chrome
    Posted 12 years ago by Volkov Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow, thanks for figuring this out!
    Posted 12 years ago by Janitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • tried this but somehow couldn't find the r300 release to download at that page...
    Posted 12 years ago by chilirlw Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @chilirlw - I didn't have to download anything...mine already had the r300 installed. It was just disabled and the r31 was enabled, so I switched them
    Posted 12 years ago by DustyHat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well that explains everything, although I have tried disabling Chrome's version of Flash and it just drops me after a while and then I can't get back in due to horrible ms rates in my help/test.

Edited to also add that if you have Real Player, you'll want to disable that in Firefox and probably others too.
    Posted 12 years ago by Ayasta Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Chrome just updated on me (had to relaunch to complete it) and the current version is the 11.3 r300 already. Maybe the sad keyboard days are done.
    Posted 12 years ago by Aleph Zero Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @DustyHat, that's interesting...mine only has the r31.  
    Posted 12 years ago by chilirlw Subscriber! | Permalink
  • We now warn for this version of Flash.
    Posted 12 years ago by Jono Subscriber! | Permalink
  • thanks guys! I was wondering what the issue was.
    Posted 12 years ago by Megzorz Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh wow, this is so awesome. Thanks for the heads up!
    Posted 12 years ago by rayflo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It didn't give me the option to download at first, I had to go into my plugins and do that step first (disable version r31) and then check back at the Adobe link for the download.  Then I had no troubles.  

Not sure if that helps anyone, but it can't hurt.  Thanks for the warning, by the way!
    Posted 12 years ago by deadkat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you so much for putting the warning for Chrome users on the game page rather than letting us dive in blind!
    Posted 12 years ago by Miss C Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you so much for the link on log-in....I had to go into my plugins and discovered I had 3 versions of flash and switched to the proper one. I would have never figured out how to do this without the above info :-)
    Posted 12 years ago by Breezy Meadow Subscriber! | Permalink
  • oooh thanks for the warning before going in to the world :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Nutty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I too had to do what deadkat did. I had to disable  the r31 version then reload the adobe page and then it gave me the option to download the new one. You may want to try that way @chilirlw
    Posted 12 years ago by SheilaBetty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I should also note, to somebody a little airheadish like me, you have to click the details tab/icon on the right side for it to show you ALL the files you have under flash and then enable and disable what's needed. 
    Posted 12 years ago by SheilaBetty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I got the warning message when I logged into the game just now (thanks, playing this last week or so has been hell!). 
    Apparently, I had r31 and 2 versions of r300 ALL enabled together (whatever that may mean).
    I disabled r31 but left the 2 versions of r300 enabled as they already were. 
    Could that cause any conflict or can I just leave them as they are?
    Posted 12 years ago by Zira Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Whew! I'm so glad you found that, Herp Derp! The change was easy to make and things are working much, much better now. Thank you!
    Posted 12 years ago by Flowerry Pott Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I can't believe I figured this out. It does seem to be smoother. I'd been having a terrible time with choppiness when my avatar walked.
    Posted 12 years ago by Eye Wonder Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I can't update google chrome when I type in  chrome://chrome/  in adress bar cause there is no option. And when I try to install new version of flash player I get message: " Your Google Chrome browser already includes Adobe® Flash® Player built-in. Google Chrome will automatically update when new versions of Flash Player are available."

Am I doing anything wrong or this is how it should be? :confused:
    Posted 12 years ago by ☆Spark☆ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Helppppppppp!!..I'm scared .. :'(..

What is the best option to choose????..

Quick this is life or death I haven't been in Glitch yet today.. :-O... lol .. :-/ 

Okkkk... neva mind.. Panic ova..lol 

I disabled the naughty one and enabled the good one.. :) lol 
    Posted 12 years ago by Cryztal Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Spark: First disable the version of Flash that you don't want (the 11.3 r31), then go back to the download page and you should have the option. I had to do the same thing.
  • In Chrome, you can click the wrench in the upper right, and select "About Google Chrome" - if there is an update available, you should see there, and it will likely update automagically.
    Posted 12 years ago by Zany Serendipity Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ok how was it when I got up this morning my computer had the  11.3 r31  flash again. What in the hella? I instantly  noticed the choppiness and went and checked the flash. It was enabled!?!

I disabled it and then enabled the 11.3 r300. This is some craziness going on here with this Flash stuff. Can't I just play and run and jump smoothly please!?!

P.S. I opened a help ticket a awhile ago about this choppiness thing and I said this is not lag, this is something different. Of course I was made to feel like it was my computer. It was not. I only open help tickets when I think something is seriously wrong. Someone even tried to tell my my computer was about to crash. LOL 
  • Eye Wonder- re: the PS- the reason for this happening with this version of Flash just came to light to us yesterday morning; a fellow player discovered some information we had not seen yet and found it accurate. We get a lot of help cases and take the information we have at hand and try to determine how best to help someone. Technical issues are extremely difficult to diagnose, since we aren't in front of your computer, we often have to make some assumptions with what we know at a given time. One of the things we sent you was just our general loading problem suggestion FAQ link; it helps quite often actually. 

With regards to the update, note: Chrome is programmed to automatically update itself under normal situations. I can't speak for what happened in your case. Generally when you tell it to use a different plugin in the preferences, that is the one it will use. But we have no control over that from here. Sorry!

:)
    Posted 12 years ago by kevbob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I understand kevbob. I just had to complain about it somewhere. I am a Cancer sun sign, we're the biggest complainers of them all :P
    I understand that the flash is not Glitch's deal. You guys do a great job and I did do all the things recommended in the help ticket. I had not thought about switching browsers as suggested and it did help but I just hate IE. 
    Ok done complaining. I'm going to periodically check the flash to make sure that nasty one isn't enabled.
  • @Eye Wonder: The same thing happened to me. When I looked at the chrome/plugins page, under Shockwave Flash, it listed 3 files. At first I didn't expand the list by pressing the "+ Details" button. This morning, I logged into Glitch and it was again using the bad Flash. After I said WTF several times, I then re-looked at the plugins page and used the "+ Details" button. I saw then that I somehow had 2 copies of the bad Flash loaded and had only disabled one of them. I guess Chrome still thinks of the baddie as the more up-to-date version and uses it preferentially.

So I disabled the other copy and it was fine again. Check on your system and see if this is the case.
  • Super sleuthing and thanks for the warning screen! 
    Posted 12 years ago by OldManMusings Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ahem... I've come to this thread a couple of times, trying to figure out what you mean in the directions about fixing this (I don't use other browsers except chrome - all of my bookmarks, settings, apps etc are here so switching browsers would be really inconvinent.) and I JUST DON'T GET THE INSTRUCTIONS! I'm not a computer dummy but I feel like I'm missing something obvious. I don't see what I'm supposed to be doing on the chrome://chrome thing
    Posted 12 years ago by La Mariposa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Merth: The unfortunate thing is instructions on how to change your Flash preferences in Chrome is not that easy. There's a bit more in depth instructions on manipulating your Flash in the FAQ we have dedicated to running the debug Flash plugin. Try reading through that one to see if the instructions HerpDerp posted make sense after. (And I don't mean to say they don't make sense now, trying to tailor Flash instructions is not an easy task- we understand that it's not all that simple to grok, so don't feel bad. :)

This is it in a nutshell: You disable the Flash we don't want you to use in chrome://plugins and you enable the one we DO want you to use, providing you downloaded and installed the current standalone version.

Try downloading this file for Windows.
    Try downloading this file for OS X, 10.6 and up.

You mentioned one thing here-

I don't use other browsers except chrome

We strongly urge anyone playing to not use one browser to play the game and do everything else at the same time. And, if you install Firefox, you don't have to worry about all your bookmarks- visit www.glitch.com just once, and it will be remembered when you start typing into the address bar. :)
  • Is anyone else noticing the same keyboard/lag problems in Safari now? It's driving me nuts.
    Posted 12 years ago by Marie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for the info. I thought it was my computer at first. It was taking me forever to tend my plots. I'm switching over to firefox.
    Posted 12 years ago by ☠ lala512 ☠ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There is nothing experimental or unintentional about the version of Flash included with Chrome, they've switched over to the "Pepper" (PPAPI) version of the Flash, its Google's successor to NPAPI plugin architecture.

You want a fix? Don't use Chrome...

I personally don't use Chrome for privacy issues (it phones home mostly or all you type into the address bar and text boxes to Google and background services that run without your knowledge, that doesn't notify you when it DOES something changes, aka update to a new version of Chrome with new Flash player running on a different architecture.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kamer Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Still, as noted here, it's completely possible to override Pepper by using the debug player or a manually installed Flash Player.  Oh, and it's wholly possible to disable the options in Chrome that act without user input (updates, for example, can be set to only manual).  

Just to clarify, Pepper is a joint venture between Google and Adobe, it's not as if they ran off and made a custom player.  I would call it reasonable to expect it to function correctly in either case, but I hold it to a higher standard given that Adobe is directly involved in the development.  (Note for those familiar with Adobe's practices: I did not say that I actually believed in the feasibility of getting a higher/more stable result, just that I want one and expect it in a general sense of "You make this normally, you should be able to not screw it up by this point.")
    Posted 12 years ago by Magic Monkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Now having problems with firefox, i enter a street and cannot move using the arrow keys.  I can usually jump, although there is a delay of up to a minute before the action happens.  This has been happening the last couple of days.

Going back to chrome to see if that is better.

ETA:  Not all streets,, just happened in AL, sometimes changing streets can help but it didn[t in this case.
    Posted 12 years ago by Miss Parsley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • IE and Chrome are practically paralyzed after recent TS reload. This is sooooo frustrating!
    Posted 12 years ago by Mollie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • getting this error everytime i try to move:
    [UncaughtErrorEvent type="uncaughtError" bubbles=true cancelable=true eventPhase=2]

TypeError: Error #2007 

happening on both FireFox 14.0.1 and  chrome 18.0.1025.168
    ubuntu 12.04
    this was not happening earlier today, like 3 hours ago
    Posted 12 years ago by crème Subscriber! | Permalink
  • When I went inworld right now I wasn't doing much but standing in one spot collecting from my collectors. Then I started to walk. It was doing that choppy thing again. 
    I noticed on my booksmark bar that Google's icon was different. 

I typed in the chrome://plugins/ and there it was enabled again. Once again I disabled it. Craziness huh? 
  • 6  hours later and it was enabled again. Who's losing their mind? :P
  • God it's getting worse........ I am officially LOSING MY DAMN MIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Jessenya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Had to change my version of flash in plugins again as well. Off to do a reboot and see what happens.
    Posted 12 years ago by Harmony MoonLake Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Jessenya- you are using Chrome with the version of Flash which isn't working with the game very well right now. Either use another browser, or try the instructions in the top post on using another version of Flash with Chrome.

(Harmony MoonLake, looks like you did that, moved to the other version of Flash, we hope that is better.)
  • Kevbob, I did as per instructed by Herb derp in the thread above, disabling one and enabling the other. The lag is still there, or I think even worst for me also. Oh gosh I wish I was back at the days in the beginning of Glitch. Nowadays, seems that lag/bug issues are getting worse:(
    Sometimes, the pigs and chicks just walk in place while I can still move around then all of a sudden the pigs & chickens advanced in one big step as if catching up to wherever they should have been.
    Posted 12 years ago by Jeasilver Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just found this article and followed the steps -- saw an immediate difference in gltich and in loading other pages and using Chrome in general.

www.howtogeek.com/103292/ho...
    Posted 12 years ago by traypup Subscriber! | Permalink
  • FYI- a few version of Flash is out (11.4), but we don't expect a change with how Chrome and the Google-blessed Flash play together. We'll review information from this post and in our FAQs for linking to older version and adjust accordingly soon.
  • Kevbob - Please clarify: For playing Glitch, 11.4 *is* or *is not* recommended by TS?
    Posted 12 years ago by Sturminator i` Subscriber! | Permalink
  • enabled. disabled. - just checking in again :P
  • Sturminator, upgrading to the newer version of Flash, the non-Chrome version, is fine. We do not expect anything to change when using the Chrome-blessed Flash plugin (meaning: there are still problems), so the recommendation continues to be, not to use that plugin, or just avoid Chrome.

And edit to add: The new Chrome version of Flash has a version number that is equal to the non-Chrome plugin. That makes this more confusing to manage the plugin. We updated the instruction at the top of this page to reflect that.
  • I am now having these problems in Firefox.  I have filed a help ticket and well, the most current version of Flash for everyone is Adobe Flash Player 11.4.402.265.  I am now having all the symptoms that only occurred for those using Chrome.  Intense lag, low frame rates, keyboard problems, etc.

Not sure how to combat this. If I could roll back my flash, I would. However, I dont know how!
    Posted 12 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • kevbob - I found looking at the "Type", and looking for PPAPI it is easy to find the built-in version of Flash and disable it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Sturminator IX Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The only persistent problem I'm having is that sometimes I find myself stuck in chat mode (even if I haven't chatted). If I jump it just enters a space into the chat field. If I click on an item, it prints the item link. I can move only by mouse. Closing and reopening the browser usually fixes it. Is this connected to the Chrome issues? I tried fixing Flash per instructions. 
    Posted 12 years ago by ZenMonkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Innie-Have you fixed your problem yet? If not, go into Firefox and click on the tab at the top. Look for add-ons. From there look for plug-ins. You should then be able to DISABLE the 11.4 and ENABLE the 11.3 
    For all-here is the link to the Adobe site. The version working the best is the third one down I believe. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Holly Waterfall Subscriber! | Permalink