Topic

Chat lag has been really bad the last couple of days

I've encountered chat lag occasionally before but never like this.  The weirdest symptom is:  I find that the Shift key applies to the letter that's appearing on the screen right at the moment, and not to the letter that I actually shifted, which means that the slow-appearing letters are shifted "too soon".  For example, if I want to type:  Look out!  Rook attack!, the letters poke out at like 300 baud but the Shift key applies in real time, so what actually appears is LooKOut1  rook attack!  It makes me look like a nine-year-old kid :p

This has been happening a lot since Thursday (I feel like it started happening around the feat, but never stopped even after multiple reloads).  On my home computer I use Firefox 15.0.1 with Flash 11.4.402.278, which seems to be the latest;  it happens at work too, where I use an older version of FF.

Posted 12 years ago by Pale Queen Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I suspect this is slow performance on the client (not "lag"). I used to see typed letters dropped a lot on an older computer (and before I switched from Chrome to Safari), although I have never seen the exact symptoms you describe.
    Posted 12 years ago by Janitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Pale Queen- see if the suggestions in this topic are helpful.
    Posted 12 years ago by kevbob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hi kevbob!  The problem was getting worse and worse so I submitted a bug report about it, to which Carrie responded with the information about Protected Mode that you linked as well.  I disabled Protected Mode and everything seems to be running much more smoothly now, so thanks to both of you.
    Posted 12 years ago by Pale Queen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't have RealPlayer (can't find it)  but am using FF and Flach 11.4, I think.  I have no problem with Youtube videos.  I do, however, have the same Caps problem and slow performance.  A refresh usually will fix this for a short time.  The longer I play Glitch, the faster this problem develops until I finally just have to stop playing for a while as no amount of cache dump or refresh/reload helps.

Today I discovered that without chatting I can play much longer before needing to refresh/reload or dump the cache (I had nobody to chat with).  I was amazed at the improvement in performance that I had without chatting!  Of course, I will continue to Chat as I love this feature but it was fun to play for a few hours without it and suffer almost no lag.
    Posted 12 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Brib Annie- also in that post on Firefox is a suggestion that you can try the earlier version of Flash to see if it is helpful, and there's a link posted on that.
    Posted 12 years ago by kevbob Subscriber! | Permalink