Topic

Collective Noun

Setting aside the debate as to what the proper plural form for a Glitch; what should the collective noun that refers to a grouping of Glitchen/Glitches?

EDIT:
By collective noun I meant something like "a peep of chickens," "an unkindness of ravens," "a flight/rabble of butterflies," "an army of caterpillars," etc.

SUGGESTIONS
● a Reverie (Mereret)
● a Narrative (Mal'akh)
● a Gang (roderick ordonez)
● an Imagining (Ximenez)
● a Daydream (Ximenez)
● a Raving (Ximenez)
● a Project (Mr. Glenn)
● a Gala (Mr. Glenn)
● a Glitching (KoKayBeats)
● a Gaggle (Mixtli)
● a Glitter (Frans)
● a Glank (Parrow Gnolle)
● a Snafu (Biff Beefbat)
● a Brainstorm (Shine Leonine)
● a Figment (Zinfidel) ← Mal'akh endorses this!
● a Glossary (SiCk_0_N0sCoPeZ)
● a Tribe (Innie)
● a Speck (Metranil)
● a Glutch - for a grouping of more than 10 (Pillow Guerilla)
● an Imagination (Fluxan)
● a Giant (Fluxan)
● a Daydream (Fluxan)

● a Mirage (Tumahura)

Posted 12 years ago by Mal'akh Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• In my opinion the plural of Glitch is Glitches. And Glitchen would be the collective noun.
    Posted 12 years ago by Sykozen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A Glitchen of Glitches?
  • No. Because, if Glitches have a specific collective noun you don't need to say a Glitchen of Glitches. You just say a Glitchen.
  • glitch
    Posted 12 years ago by Puzuyo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I believe Glitch is one individual.
  • By collective noun I meant something like "a peep of chickens," "an unkindness of ravens," "a flight/rabble of butterflies," "an army of caterpillars," etc.
  • (edit: took too long to post! silly me.)

I'm suspecting some of us are getting confused between a collective noun, which is completely structurally independent from the main word (collective 'group', main word 'Glitch'), and the concept of collective number, which declines from the main word (Glitch -> Glitchen/etc).

- collective noun: a school of fish (for 'fish'), a gaggle of geese (for 'goose')
    (bonus example: classifier: a pair of pants)

- collective number: unite, humanity! (for 'human')

Seems to me the OP is asking for the collective word to express 'a bunch of Glitchen/s/oonies', not the collective form of the base word 'Glitch'?
    Posted 12 years ago by Lara Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Fair enough Lara. I wasn't really aware of that since my language isn't english. But we're never old to learn. :D
  • Oh I am always learning too... had to wiki to be sure of the exact words haha :P
  • Now that that is settled, any suggestions? ^_^
  • Since we are all part of the Giants' imaginations, I propose "a Reverie of Glitchen."
    Posted 12 years ago by KhaKhonsu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'll update the original post with the suggestions. Mine is "narrative"
  • a gang of glitchens?
    Posted 12 years ago by roderick ordonez Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like "reverie".

Also:
    An imagining of Glitchen.
    A daydream of Glitchen.
    A raving of Glitchen.
    Posted 12 years ago by Ximenez Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hmm, what about Gala? It's apparently a festive or sports-related get-together. Fits with Glitchen gathering for parties (festive) and for cubimal races (sports-related). A Gala of Glitchen doesn't sound too bad. The alliteration may be a plus.

I tried to find something to do with imagination/imagining, but the closest I came was Project. The only reason I thought that one was decent is because it has two meanings. "To project" is synonymous with envision or imagine (according to Thesaurus.com), and "A project" reflects a major thing we do, street projects (though I guess almost anything we do in this game could be considered a project). A Project of Glitchen? I dunno...
    Posted 12 years ago by Mr. Glenn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • We've got 7 already. ^_^
  • You missed Mr. Glenn's "a gala of Glitchen" which I kinda like for the way it sounds and the image it puts in my brain.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kookaburra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A "glitching of Glitchen" or "gala" like Kookaburra said... Like a gaggle of geese! Alliterations abound!
    Posted 12 years ago by Rapture Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Gaggle of Glitchii
    Posted 12 years ago by Mixtli Subscriber! | Permalink
  • a Glitter
    Posted 12 years ago by Frans Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A Glank.

When in the mining area, a gang.
    Posted 12 years ago by Parrow Gnolle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A snafu.
    Posted 12 years ago by Biff Beefbat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A brainstorm
    Posted 12 years ago by xLIFEx Subscriber! | Permalink
  • (accidental double-post, how do I delete a message?)
    Posted 12 years ago by Zinfidel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I vote for a Figment of Glitchen/Glitches.

fig·ment/   ˈfigmənt/

Noun: A thing that someone believes to be real but that exists only in their imagination.

Seems appropriate.
    Posted 12 years ago by Zinfidel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • For collective noun, I think Figment is fabulous! A figment of glitchen.
    Posted 12 years ago by Widdershins Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Figment! I like that Zinfidel!
  • A glossary of glitchen.
    Posted 12 years ago by The Mighty Dino Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Just Glitchen.
    Posted 12 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Innie, I actually prefer Glitchen as the plural form. So if there's a number of Glitchen I'd like to call them something like a Figment of Glitchen.
  • Figment!
    Posted 12 years ago by Osprey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • One player is a Glitch.  A group of players is Glitchen. Why do we need more than that?  I guess Person, people, crowd of people?  Is that what you are aiming for?

Tribe?  They mention tribes of Glitchen in the museum dont they?

Other than tribe, I like Figment.
    Posted 12 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I *love* "a figment of Glitchen"

Totally made me smile!
    Posted 12 years ago by noqualia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Innie, it's a part of speech. Crows is already plural, but if you're referring to a bunch of crows it's technically called a "murder" of crows. Same with "school" of fish - fish is already plural.

So instead of referring to the "bunch" of glitchen standing on the hill, the proper collective noun would be "figment" of glitchen. It refers to the cluster as a single rather than a bunch of individuals.

Another example: during the gas/spice wars, there were 2 groups of glitchen. To refer to the group of glitchen as a single ( 2 groupings ) you use the official collective noun. "bunch" is a generic form of a collective noun. A "bunch" of flowers ( where the official word is "bouquet")

For inquiring minds, wikipedia has a lengthy list of collective nouns:
    en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index....
    Posted 12 years ago by Neatly Sliced Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1000 for a figment of Glitchen.  <3 <3 <3 that!

But Glitchen is ALL Glitches past and present, sorry but it just IS, so a figment of Glitchen is some Glitches.  Which is also good!
    Posted 12 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Neatly Sliced:
    I think the most fundamental reason there's disagreement in the community between collective form Glitchen and plural form Glitches is because English only has two common numbers, singular and plural.  Added to that is that -en is not a major plural suffix (it is in German and germanic-root words), while -s/-z/-es, overwhelmingly, is (though exceptions as usual abound).  Not surprisingly, people:
    1. don't see the need for both a collective and plural form,
    2. confuse usage when they DO use both forms, and
    3. (I suspect) will always prefer 'Glitches' for the plural unless officially told otherwise.

There might have been left over from older English the common usage of collective, but it's certainly not widespread in modern usage.  Other languages even have enshrined in grammar the concpets of dual/several number.

On that note, I propose a dual form of Glitch: !xhi-Glitch-pfeodhann.  First phoneme's a voiceless velaric velar plosive.  Who's with me?

(Sorry to go offtopic, @op!)
  • A speck?
    Posted 12 years ago by Metranil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Lara it's not whether there's a need for a collective form... it just IS. Everything has a collective noun form, people either 1) just use it and don't think about it (a flock of birds - flock being the collective noun) or 2) don't know what the specific term is and use a more generic "bunch" or something like that (common with crows - people don't know it's a murder of crows and so they say "hey look at that singular bunch of crows!" when they could say "hey look at that singular murder of crows!").

When I see "glitchen" I think "children" and it is an alternate to "glitches". The comparison to children is what makes that term endearing to me.

PS: "children" is not a collective noun, it is the plural of "child". It's a "chaos of children" which reinforces the fact that glitchen (or glitches if you prefer) would be CUTE if it had a special collective noun, rather than just "group" or "bunch".
    Posted 12 years ago by Neatly Sliced Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @neatly sliced

see this post :) to avoid repeating myself.  My fault for straying from the topic.
  • @Neatly Sliced

Sorry for misreading your post, btw.  On closer inspection, your post exemplifies my point well.  You don't see a need for both a collective form of a noun and a plural form of a noun, because English lacks that distinction.

Most of this post was deleted because I talk too much about stuff most people aren't interested in :D :)
  • A glutch. But only if there are more than 10.
    Posted 12 years ago by Pillow Guerrilla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • An imagination of glitchen.
    A giant of glitchen.
    A daydream of glitchen.
    A google of glitchen. (OK maybe not.)
    Posted 12 years ago by Fluxan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 for "figment".
    Posted 12 years ago by Ximenez Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i like 'figment', too. 

oh oh, how about 'a mirage of glitchen', eh? =)
    Posted 12 years ago by Tumahura Subscriber! | Permalink