Topic

SUGGESTIONS: We need to find a good game to migrate to....

Please list the games you play that may be possibilities! Thank You! 

Posted 11 years ago by Lyrical DejaVu Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 3 Next
  • I'm another KoLer, also known as Discodoris in that game.  It has the only other community that I've come across that is helpful, joyful and fun - I've made friends all over the world from it, literally.  I've visited them in the USA and Australia, despite hailing from the UK.  I met my partner through it and have several other friends that have met, married and had children following their KoL friendships.  Whilst not having the beauty of Glitch, it does have unlimited ways to play the game and more references than any one person other than the writer is liable to be able to identify!  Plus special events and holidays - maybe if you try it through December, you'll enjoy the annual Crimbo event!  Also, although there's no music in game, the associated streaming internet radio station (www.radio-kol.net/wiki/inde...) is 24hr and staffed by players from the community.  I know that there'd be a warm welcome for displaced Glitches, especially as many KoLers have fondly played Glitch for its entire life.
    Posted 11 years ago by discodoris Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Agreed, discodoris!
    Posted 11 years ago by Jackie Jones Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just joined KoL, trying to get over how ugly it seems compared to Glitch and give it a fair chance.  Talking to the Oriole at the moment :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Miss Parsley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • <3's Oriole
    Posted 11 years ago by Jackie Jones Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Can you share that spreadsheet, Talaria? SUPER impressed over here. :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Lady Cailia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I played KoL quite heavily a few years ago, my characters will still exist because they all bought Mr A's.  Any suggestions for a good clan to join?
    Posted 11 years ago by Elisabeth Sladen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm also PondAmeliaPond in Dr Who: Worlds in Time.  A fun puzzle-based game, you can form small groups to tackle hard levels together, not very social.  I haven't been back to this since beta, may be time for another look.
    Posted 11 years ago by Elisabeth Sladen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hmm, Guildwars 2... maybe? They are having a free trial event atm. Will need trial keys though. X-|
    Posted 11 years ago by Opportunity Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Galaxseeds and Improbable Island look promising. I signed up at Galaxseeds as JollyWater2. (It was the closest to this screen name I could find).
    Many of the games I suggested are not worthy but thought I would post them in case others might find an interest in them.

ETA: there wasn't anything to do in Galaxseeds. There were no other players on and no clear directions of what to do. I was able to figure out there are mini games in which you earn XP and apparently there are seeds to plant. There are also things to buy to dress up your character. Overall it looks a bit juvenile. 

ETA2: Improbable Island (signed up as Holly Waterfall) is so far a text-based story. It appears to have a back story of nakedness and drugs and um, improbability. It's a bit like the OLD (yes I am old) adventure games of DOS or a choose-your-own-adventure game or book. Not at all like Glitch I'm afraid. :(
    Posted 11 years ago by Holly Waterfall Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bugger it, am going to go back to www.wakfu.com, just downloading the client again now. It's only tiny amount of MB so not a major drain on my datacap.

I really enjoyed this game, despite needing to subscribe, (it wasn't very expensive). The people were great, the graphics were lovely. Really interesting crafting system and areas to explore etc

Will post again what i've called myself and which of the four 'clans' I've gone with as unsure whether i'll be able to reinstate my old characters.  If anyone else goes to wakfu, please do let me know what you've called yourself etc so we can run around together!
    Posted 11 years ago by Arietty Subscriber! | Permalink
  • After reading all of this, you guys got me back into KoL, but the last time I played was when I was around 9 years old, and I'm curious if there is a clan that would accept a noob like me XD (oh yeah my ign is dragiffy).

Another thing that I'm wondering about is if there's anyone here who plays Guild Wars 2,and if there is, we could make a guild, seeing that you can join as many as you want. :D (I'm on US servers)
    Posted 11 years ago by Bdvger Subscriber! | Permalink
  • www.glitch.com/forum/genera... One to watch!?
    Posted 11 years ago by Potian Dragoon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • check out the game that potian mentions in their link above, it looks gorgeous and i'll be definitely checking it out
  • I'll open a Glitch clan on KOL if there is one needing made :)
    Posted 11 years ago by mightywench Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @ I love you TS, signed up in Galaxseed and my name there is Hedge Hedge!
    Posted 11 years ago by Priscilla Parsley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • OMG, WENCH!  Didn't know you were here!  You're always welcome to rejoin Farewell Transmission if you like, mightywench.  Big hugs.
    My clan is Farewell Transmission, and we know what it is like to be refugees from another game as we were refugees from Vikings Pirates Ninjas when we sailed over to Kingdom of Loathing 3+ years ago, so we're standing by ready to help anyone and everyone who needs help getting their feet wet on KoL.  And there's a lot of longtime KoLers who love to assist newcomers.  If you need anything at all to complete a quest or just need someone to guide you, drop me a message so I can help.  I'm norsegodofmischief in the Farewell Transmission clan.
    The KoL Wiki is unbelievably extensive as well, written and constantly updated by players.  Just copy the name of the quest or adventure you're on, paste it in the KoL Wiki search box, and you'll get a page that walks you in baby steps through exactly what to do.
    kol.coldfront.net/thekolwik...
    Same for each piece of clothing and equipment, familiars, literally every single thing on the site.  An example is this page about classes.  Note the highlighted links that take you to more explanatory pages.  When I first joined KoL, I set up a cot and mailbox in the Wiki and lived there as I got deeper and deeper into the game.  LOL
    kol.coldfront.net/thekolwik...
    Bar none, it's the best and most useful Wiki I've ever found for any online game ever.
    From there, you can stay in FT or go to another clan or do whatever you want. The good thing is that KoL has been around for around 9 years, so it's stable, and it can be a reliable "stay in touch with friends" spot when and if you drift away from it to other games from time to time.  :P
    Lady Calia, I'm adding to the spreadsheet and will share with you sometime tomorrow.  So many suggestions, so many games to check out....  Glitch has set a standard that no other current game can match, though, I believe.
    Posted 11 years ago by Talaria Wingfoot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Haven't played KoL for some time although I often thought Glitch's humour was inspired by it. I'll have to drop in again if I can remember my log-in.
    Posted 11 years ago by snygyst Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I second the Discworld Mud suggestion. http://discworld.starturtle.net/lpc/
    Especially if you're the type who likes to sit around and chat / explore.

I played and guided on it several years back. It's fun, quirky, amusing, and probably the closest thing you can get to Glitch. Speaking as the explorer/mapper-type, it's one of the best games out there for us. Lots of delightful hidden stuff to find. Catch is, it's text-based.

- You don't need to read the Discworld books to enjoy this mud.

- Price: 100% free. There is nothing you can buy with real money.

- PVP: Totally optional. There is a non-PVP option.

- Community: Non-PVP has more nice people than not. Can get really intense with guild politics if you care about such matters. Also heard there were the usual few griefers on PVP, but hey, non-PVP ^_^.

- Quests: Interesting type. NOT repeatedly kill 10x NPCs kind.

- For those not familiar with muds, a mud client will improve the experience considerably. In the mean time, this will work as a preview. http://discworld.starturtle.net/lpc/decafmud/flash_client.html

Disclaimer: As mentioned above, I last played several years ago. Things may have changed!
    Posted 11 years ago by Silvermoon.Trance Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hi hi Norse!  Good to see you!  I dunno if I am still on the FT whitelist or not, but I'd be happy to pop in and see some old friends :D I was just talking about how much better the Tiny Speck team handled this sad closing than Meteor Games did with their efforts.  Twin Skies, too!  Twice they broke my heart.  Tiny Speck did right by us <3

There are a few Loathers out and about in Ur.  While Kingdom of Loathing is really not much at all like Glitch other than the humor and having a fantastic community, I think quite a few players here would enjoy it.  I have nothing but love for KOL and would love to see some fellow glitchkin running about there. 
    Posted 11 years ago by mightywench Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Haven't spent much time on Galaxseed, but I am also wondering if there is anything to do! Downloaded" under the ocean" for seven dollars but don't know how to open the file.
    Posted 11 years ago by Priscilla Parsley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I agree with Gopu and JaredFiver, Smallworlds.com is a good place to go. I've been playing that game for more then 3 years, and I am personally surprised that I am still playing. May just be the fact that I started my digital painting hobby on Smallworlds, as they have a "Graffiti Board", which allows you to paint. The "widget" is pretty simple, with the basic settings like Softness/Hardness, Opacity, and the size of the brush. The thing I love about it is the fact that you can sell your paintings, or just showcase them in your homespace. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Dj Nolastname Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Not all online, not Glitch, not all available, but some truly amazing stuff nonetheless--

Independent Games Festival Finalists and Winners

2013 could hold some possibilities.
    Posted 11 years ago by JW Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ty JW.
    cute graphics and music :)
    www.lumegame.com/
    Posted 11 years ago by zoom.b Subscriber! | Permalink
  • In the same vein as Lume, try Botanicula and Tiny Bang Story. I also recommend keeping an eye on The Humble Bundle for more games that might appeal to the glitchen at heart.
    Posted 11 years ago by Bunny Lapin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You could join aywas.com.
    Age shouldn't be too much of a big factor. 13 plus.
    You need grammar etc.
    Pretty mature audience. Adventuring. Pets.
    Customs. Art. GP.
    Or use my referral link:
    www.aywas.com/register/refe...
    Posted 11 years ago by Palindrome Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I guess I'll log back in to my long neglected KoL account and finish that seal-clubber run I've been putting off. If I can even remember how to play. Same name there.
    Posted 11 years ago by blitheandbonny Subscriber! | Permalink
  • For anyone who is interested in a space trading and exploration game, you could do no worse than check out the open source game Pioneer. It's being developed by a small group of volunteers, if you just want to play that's fine, but if your technically minded you can help with the programming or the artwork, or just post bug reports on Github. It's a great game which is trying to make a newer improved version of Elite Fronteer. Check it out, there's a great community and if you like space you will love it, I find it very relaxing just exploring the universe in my space ship.

pioneerspacesim.net/
    Posted 11 years ago by AlIitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There are some Victorian/steampunk themed sims in Second Life called Caledon where I have been enjoying spending time. Head for the Caledon Oxbridge sim to meet Caledonians, get more help, and find good free stuff including avatars. In addition to the tall human avatars most Second Lifers play, Caledon has a lot of small cute creatures called Tinies, who remind me a lot of glitchen.

maps.secondlife.com/secondl...
    www.thedaringlibrarian.com/...
    www.flickr.com/groups/14614...
    Posted 11 years ago by Biff Rosbiff Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Have just been on youtube watching all the devblogs for the Under the Ocean game, looks brilliant and i'm definitely going to be checking it out. 

Have put links to the 4 devblogs in Potian's original thread at http://www.glitch.com/forum/general/29537/ 
  • Plus have successfully reinstated my Wakfu client and all my old characters are in there. You can create up to 5 characters which each have their own names and also come under your overall account name (I'm Millycent and play on the Remington server). Have started a new character named  Arietty Glitchen so can be found and identified easily. If you try it out and see me online please do say hi...
  • I would recommend Whirled, but the community is really scary and I've heard that lag is pretty bad there. I'm trying to get Glitch-themed rooms going in our Glitch Whirled group so we can walk through Glitch streets again.
    Posted 11 years ago by Saphy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i posted in the other thread like this, but ill post in here too,

i started playing Kingdom of Loathing after looking at peoples suggestions. I think this is a really good option once you are able to level up a bit and get a feel for the game. In order to open the chat options you have to go to the department of literacy and take a reading and writing test. you can still play without this but you cant chat. My name is the same in that game as here so if anyone plays or wants to play, send me a message and add me to contacts. Im still really low level so i cant help to much, but it seems fun so far. its still no replacement for glitch though

It would be nice to start a "Dirty Old Glitches" Clan
    Posted 11 years ago by Herb Herbally Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I also recommend Lume (see www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB9...), which although only single-player is peaceful and charming in the spirit of Glitch.   The current version only has a few hours of game-play, but a hugely expanded version is coming in a few months.
    Posted 11 years ago by Leites Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Im on KingdomofLoathing.com! Have been since 2006! Name over there is BlasphemousPhilosopher! I started a clan a few months ago called Loathing Glitches - it didn't really catch on but somehow I think it might now! Come on over!
    Posted 11 years ago by Arthur Dent-Ur Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So far I'm not finding any of the suggested games tempting.  I like playing two games at any given time for change of pace - Kingdom of Loathing is one I'm loyal to, and Glitch was (sigh) the other one.  
    Although I very much avoid games that have to be downloaded, I did look at, download and attempt to play Onverse, but it's just not for me - a long list of keyboard keys to do different movements and actions, jerky movement like you see in the game system games, characters look like the Second Life characters (long lean stylized young people), and a landscape that is pretty but still like so many other stylized artificial gameboards.   
    The download for Onverse takes a fair amount of time to accomplish, but it did go smoothly, and the game doesn't seem to take up a lot of computer resources.  However, as we continue to search, please be very careful of when checking out suggested games and review sites and be sure you have a strong anti-virus protection installed and up to date!

Glitch has of course spoiled me for anything else after Glitch.
    The NationStates game was suggested on another thread, caught my interest, and I'll post the Wikipedia writeup link here.  The good feature is that it's been around for over 10 years, the bad feature is that it appears to be dependent on the creator's continued ability to host and manage it. In the other thread, several Glitches have joined it and are working on carving out a special Glitch nations area.  If you join it, may I suggest you go through one of the player referral links there.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natio...

Arthur!  I'll whitelist you to my clan, Farewell Transmission.  Please whitelist norsegodofmischief to Loathing Glitches, and I'll stop by with goodies for your stash.  My clan members and I are busy cooking and mixing drinks and gathering other newcomer-helpful items to help new KoLers.  I've whitelisted all of the Glitches who've posted that they're either already KoL members or have just joined KoL.  It's not a game for everyone, but as I explained in the Civility chat, KoL is stable and not going poof anytime soon, so it's one spot we can stay in touch and exchange info as we continue our "one game for all" search. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Talaria Wingfoot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Any Glitches who are playing SWTOR (especially now that it's FTP), send me some mail. :)  I'm on Ebon Hawk both sides; "Aayla'tann" on Republic and "Sin'chirya" on Empire.  We could make a big Glitchy guild filled with fun and wonder.  Funder!  It won't ever compare... but... at least we'll stay in touch. :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Shae'lyn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I can second, or third or whatever KOL (Kingdom of Loathing.) It's a bit like a parody of an old 80's style text based MMO. It's very surreal, witty and funny, but the graphics are literally stick figures drawn by a drunk guy. The community is a bit different but its the only one I have run across in my net wanderings over the years that rivals glitch's for being chill and cool. Don't let the first hour of play fool you, the game is much larger and deeper than it appears.

Runescape is a well designed game. Browser based, highly graphical, expansive in depth world. Too bad it is populated by bots and disturbed children much of the time. Skills take forever to master. I do mean forever, resulting in a grind mentality which also hurts the game. It has an extensive economy, you can build your own house, farm, smith, craft, fletch, etc. It also has combat although one could probably skip that if they so chose. I remember meeting completely non-combat players, as in they never once fought except for on the tutorial island. There is pvp but its completely optional and restricted to a few small areas and or servers.

It will be Glitch's community I miss most here. The game was unique, quirky and neat but the people it has gathered together is really what sets it apart. Try KOL newbie chat if you are looking for a weird, witty adult community. It's been years since I was really a part of it, but if it hasn't changed it's actually a lot funnier and more surreal than global is here. (You have to pass a simple grammar test administered by the "Ghost of the English Language" to participate so don't fret that you can't talk to people right away. It only takes a minute) I should add that the humor in KOL is a bit darker. It's a bit like Hitch Hiker's guide meets pop culture parody.

If you liked the character skills, the way you could build and add to your house and character and wealth building from glitch rather than the Glitch community itself then Runescape might suit you. There is also a good bit of dry humor to some of it although the players themselves are typically humorless. It wasn't like that in the beginning. It was much more like the Glitch community back when Runescape was in beta. I wonder if Glitch's community would have soured the same way if it had gotten huge?
    Posted 11 years ago by Melting Sky Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Smallworlds has rude and mean people.
    And it also has a virus.
    Posted 11 years ago by Keeda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ive started playing Fleck, but its not really THE BEST... Obiously nothing like glitch, but it has quite a bit of lag...

It mainly revolves around Real World places, and a google map to show you. It has alot of farming, and zombie battling.
    Posted 11 years ago by Taco Assassin Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 3 Next