Topic

It Ends as It Begins, a special story for all

(I'm not quite sure where else to post this but here. It was nagging at me all last night to be written, and I just wanted to share it, even if my descriptions and such aren't as good as I'd like them to be.)

The sweet smell of the firebogs wafted through the home street of one particular Glitch. At the firebog house a butler stood fixing his arm. Made of stuffing, the proud butler seemed like a hodgepodge of different fabric peices sewn together. He was like some kind of walking patchwork quilt with his blue striped belly and scarf, left arm with blue stripes and some spots at the very end of what would’ve served for a hand. His legs were primarily blue with stars and spots, mismatched just so. His head was round with a pair of dot eyes and a curved cat like mouth which wore a smile, and he had horns that were more like pointed ears that curved downwards. He was just happy to be of service, despite falling apart, and he was proud of the name his owner had given him. He was called Xaek.

Across from the butler, on the other side, the magic rock sat reading a book, glasses on his face in front of his eyes, just reading away. Xaek broke the silence. “Do you think madamsir will be home soon? The butterflies have all gone to Cosmaland, the pigs are complaining that no one has come around to harvest the spice plants.”
The book fell in front of the magic rock as he turned to the butler. “Ayasta will be back soon. Have patience. Now shush, I’m on the final chapter of my book.”

With a WHOOSH, the Glitchen Xaek had been waiting for arrived. Dressed in a butternut pearl hat, elven boy coat, beige trouser and brown boots, Ayasta looked weary, but she managed a soft smile. “It’s still here.” She whispered, barely even audible. Her chestnut hair shook as she turned her head left and right to both Xaek and the magic rock. She approached the magic rock first and reached down to pick him up. “Come on Pumice, you can rest on my hat.” She placed him on her hat, and he sat there, about to protest, but it was Xaek who spoke before he could.
“Madamsir, what’s going on? What are you doing? He can’t leave his post.”
“He can, and he is. He’s coming with me, and so are you. take my hand, Xaek.”
The butler’s face changed from it’s normal smile to a frown, and he approached and took her hand.
“Hold on tight, don’t let go for nothing.”

Whoosh! The scenery changed to the rocky hills of Salatu, as they landed on Lunu Lane. However, it wasn’t as it should’ve been. The once great pine trees were shredded. Trees were dead, the shrine to Grendaline was completely demolished, the usual pigs, butterflies and chickens were all screaming. Their screams were drowned out by the sounds of thousands of caws from the purple crazy eyed birds known as Rooks.
“Madamsir! you must fight the rook!” Xaek called, trying to pull Ayasta to fight them, but she held him firmly and continued running down the street. She dodged the pecks of the rooks as she did, bobbing and weaving like she’d never done before, jumping over them with Xaek in tow and the magic rock clinging to her hat for dear life.
“It’s too late, Xaek, the rook has won! The shrine is broken! We must get to the start of Salatu!”
“Why have the Giants forsaken us!” Xaek called out as Ayasta hit the street sign to Salatu Start.

Of course the street was secret, but, for whatever reason, the Giants had sent out their words to their creations, to the Glitches themselves. “Go home” was all they’d said and it was only heard by the Glitches themselves. The start of Salatu was empty, but Ayasta stopped for a moment to catch herself before taking the trip down it. “The Giant’s haven’t forsaken us. We just need to go back.”
“Go back?” Xaek asked.
“Yes. Home. Back to the brain.”
“I’ve heard nothing of this, and I have a direct line to the Giants.” the magic rocks gravelly voice said.
“It was only sent out to us Glitches, but I wanted to go back and grab you two because, well, because I love you both. You’ve served me well Xaek and Pumice? You’ve been a great observer...”She stopped suddenly and gasped.
“What is it... Oh my Giants!” Xaek cried.

The world’s colors were fading, turning black. “No time!” Ayasta cried as she grabbed a hold of Xaek and headed for the next signpost as the scenery behind her went from color to black, then faded to white. She hit the next signpost. “Almost there!” She told her companions as she headed for the place where she’d started. back to that brain capsule, only now, it was surrounded by thousands of Glitches. Some had their butlers and rocks with them, some did not. Even the street spirits had gathered here.

“Ayasta! You made it!” One of her friends called out.
“Yes, Yes I did.” She smiled as she joined the group of friends she’d come to know and meet.
“I guess this is it, huh?”
“Yep.”
“I’d hug you but, I left my emo bear.”
“No emo bears are needed. We’ll hug one another with our own hands.”

She hugged her friends, one by one, as she did so, the street spirits in front of the Glitches faded, becoming ghostly as first before fading to white like the rest of the background. All around, Glitchen sobs, hugs and even kisses were exchanged between the many friends all gathered in one group. The butlers and magic rocks faded, and finally as the Glitches began to fade, they sang a song in unison. It was the final song of Ur, mournful, it started at a decent pace, until it slowed down and ended.

“And that’s what this game was
We were in their thoughts
We went and made them bigger
And we played for a long while...

As the song finished, the Glitches faded and shrank until the whiteness held only one tiny speck. The spec of creation. A speck of imagination.

THE END

I would like to thank EVERYONE who has made this game as fantastic as it is. To the staff, you guys deserve more credit than you will even know. Thank you for creating this lovely game for all of us to play in. In other words, thanks for the sandbox and indulging us with our inner child.

To the players and community, you all have shaped this game into what it is. Out of all the MMOs I’ve played and will probably end up playing in the future, it is because of so many of you that this game has also been as awesome as it is.

No matter where we find ourselves in the next game, next thing, whatever may come, we will carry that tiny speck of what was once Glitch.

~With Love, Alicia M. (Known as Ayasta, imagined 2nd of Doom, year 17, 8 Glitch years old)

Posted 11 years ago by Ayasta Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 Next
  • I'm not sure whether to love you or hate you for that bump.  VERY beautiful but holy hell the sobbing that one started... <3
    Posted 11 years ago by spacekadt Subscriber! | Permalink
  • <3
    Posted 11 years ago by Adamarie The Snarky Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Everyone needs to read this. *bumps*
    Posted 11 years ago by Alyx Sands Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes... I agree.... bumpty bump bump
    Posted 11 years ago by Fadas Néboa Curuxa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is really beautiful. I miss Glitch.

How do I find out my Glitch's birthday?
    Posted 11 years ago by Contrivance Subscriber! | Permalink
  • “And that’s what this game was
    We were in their thoughts
    We went and made them bigger
    And we played for a long while..."
    Posted 11 years ago by Mal'akh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • “No emo bears are needed. We’ll hug one another with our own hands.”
    Posted 11 years ago by Tumahura Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah, I lost it at 'We'll hug one another with our own hands".
    Posted 11 years ago by Von B Subscriber! | Permalink
  • o/~  and that's what this game was o/~
    Posted 11 years ago by Pirate Apples Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's dusty in here. SO DUSTY. 

That was beautiful.
    Posted 11 years ago by Feylin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • And so, I made the glitch logo in my tower too: lem.to/p/b41A
    Posted 11 years ago by Ayasta Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Fantastic. Let's ump this one, shall we?
    Posted 11 years ago by Xyn Odras Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That was beautiful.  Thank you; I will save this for my memories always.
    Posted 11 years ago by Sildenafil Citrate Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Good story.  I'm glad you reminded me to bring my poor rock!
    Posted 11 years ago by Lucille Ball Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I thought I had gotten over the sorrow of Glitch closing, but I still read this and wept at work. *hugs* This was amazing, thank you.
    Posted 11 years ago by ricepapergirl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Saved.  Thank-you.
    Posted 11 years ago by Elisabeth Sladen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • <3

Spending the last hour with my butler and someone linked me to your text. Totally made me cry
    Posted 11 years ago by EvilBlackSheep Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That story was beautiful. Thankyou so much Ayasta.
    Posted 11 years ago by Scoresby Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I waited to read this until the end, mostly because I can't focus on anything when there is Glitching to be done.  This is beautiful and makes me feel happy and sad, thanks so much.
    Posted 11 years ago by Keymo Machine Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So lovely, a perfect story for Glitch. I tried to run home to my butler and rock, but lost the server connection and the game shut down before I made it. Oh little glitch, please have made it home without my guidance before the end came...
    Posted 11 years ago by Lorian Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Although glitch is nearly gone, the memory will live on in our hearts.
    Posted 11 years ago by Maddie xx Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Damn it. You made me cry at work. Thank you for your lovely story :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Cathyvil d'Purpple Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 Next