Topic

Minecraft Server

Hey all,

Saw the closing announcement a few days back and as soon as I got an invite into the game I knew I'd played it before, maybe a year or two ago and I've managed to get in touch with a few of my old friends who're wanting an MC server and say a lot of you guys here do too.

So here's the deal, I'm tied to a server contract for another 15 months even though the business I was using it for failed almost 6 months ago - since it isn't being used for anything right now I'm willing to host an MC server if anyone is interested?

Edit: Seems we have a lot of interest! I will have the server up on November 26th, it should handle quite a lot of people simultaneously since it's a dual core dedicated server. I will post details of how to connect on that day, so watch this space!

Posted 11 years ago by Monotoko Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

Previous 1 2 3 4
  • A Glitch themed server with giant Giant sculptures and Ur-like streets *would* be cool :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Hburger Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Great idea, keep us posted! :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Montooli Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am so for this!!! 
    Posted 11 years ago by Nafets Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would really want to see the world of Ur rebuilt somewhere such as Minecraft. Even if we can't pet the pigs or squeeze the chickens, it would still be... something.

ETA: My Minecraft username is also CuCN.
    Posted 11 years ago by CuCN Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I play regularly on another server, but I would love a place to stop in from time to time, at least!
    Posted 11 years ago by Spaghetti Thompson Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Awesome, I would love this! Maybe, to keep it in the spirit of Glitch we could keep it peaceful? Or would that be too boring? I wouldn't mind being able to focus on creating etc. instead of fighting, but I know I'm sort of the odd one out in MC. (Though maybe not here? :~D)
    Posted 11 years ago by Rannera Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Rannera, I agree, I think it should be more build-oriented. Also whitelist.
    Posted 11 years ago by Seeen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • my husband and i are both looking to get into minecraft again and a glitch refugees server would be great! i agree that it would be more in the spirit of glitch to have pvp off.
    Posted 11 years ago by porcelina Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like this idea! :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Varaeth Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +!
    Posted 11 years ago by Mr Mellifluous Subscriber! | Permalink
  • oooohhhh.  I am in!
    Posted 11 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ooh i'll take it
    Posted 11 years ago by Priestess Mint Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love this idea and I'd be more than willing to help create a glitch-themed texture pack!  I've never made one before but I've done a good bit of pixel art and I'm a sort-of graphic designer by trade.  I could contribute at any rate...

peaceful would be nice.  we could focus on building glitch themed things!
    Posted 11 years ago by Dissonance Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So, you guys... in your opinion, is there a good writeup on Minecraft somewhere for a complete noob? I have only a very basic concept of what gameplay's like.
    Posted 11 years ago by Georgia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • -thinks back to Kukubee's Glitch Minecraft masterpiece-
    A Ur recreated in a server... even one island or something... that would be really something worth acknowledging. Giant-worthy. Imagination qurazy.
    Posted 11 years ago by Palindrome Subscriber! | Permalink
  • :O This sounds interesting.
    Posted 11 years ago by Tanit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd be interested!
    Posted 11 years ago by Merrylegs Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Palindrome:  wasn't that Glitch Minecraft thing from bees?
    Posted 11 years ago by Treesa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm very interested.
    Also, what is this Glitch Minecraft thing that Palindrome and Treesa are talking about?
    Posted 11 years ago by Fussycat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't remember reading about a recreated island only this by bees which is a....something

As for what is minecraft like...I'd youtube some gameplay. They also have play videos on their site but it really is its own thing that is very heavy on crafting. They have a demo you can futz around with before buying, which I highly recommend doing first.

ETA: Le sigh I love the idea of a recreated glitch island(areas?) so the search goes on.

A mention by Jia-pop but sounds wishful not even planned.
    Posted 11 years ago by M<3tra, obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Georgia, you could check out minecraft wiki, it has absolutely everything. But really you have to just play around to see what it's like, each player will find something different to do in Minecraft, for one it's a survival horror with zombies, for someone else it's building complicated redstone powered devices in creative mode, others roleplay on a server or create their own games on minecraft platform.
    Posted 11 years ago by Fussycat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've never played minecraft in my life. But ever since I saw this thread I've been watching this youtube tutorial. I recommend it, the guy is quite funny, and it explains the basic of minecraft :)

Hope we can all create a wonderful, glitchy minecraft world.
    Posted 11 years ago by purple goldfish Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would love to play on a "glitch" minecraft.
    Posted 11 years ago by DragonBlack Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd love to play Minecraft with Glitch players!
    Posted 11 years ago by Impspindle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Could I help build? :)
    Posted 11 years ago by menthia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Purple Goldfish, thanks for that link.  I went in gung-ho for a trial and only managed to get myself stuck down a hole.

I am also stuck down a hole in Second Life, which I tried yesterday, and also clicked something and my avatar's head has turned into a box.  I am too embarrassed to go back.

I got stuck down a hole my first week in Glitch too, Araldia pulled me out.  Twice.
    Posted 11 years ago by Miss Parsley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd totally participate. I would suggest using MCEdit on a new world and start by recreating the islands of UR, which we can then go around populating streets and things like that in creative mode.
    Posted 11 years ago by WaLLy3K Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love minecraft.I'd come play and help build a Ur themed server.
    Fighting is not a unnecessary component of the game. It is possible to set up a peaceful server with no pvp and no aggressive mobs.
    Posted 11 years ago by Mr.Mindor Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would LOVE for there to be a minecraft glitch server!
    Posted 11 years ago by Dr. Drizzle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm Draconequus, if people want to preemptively whitelist me
    Posted 11 years ago by Avnas Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Miss Parsley, don't give up :D
    Minecraft isn't the easiest game to start (yeh I managed to be fishbait to the zombies so. many. times when I tried today, and I managed to survive a day only after I cower in my 2x2 cave) but minecraft is huge, and alluring.

And if we can build a glitchy world on minecraft...... well that'd be another sweet dream :D
    Posted 11 years ago by purple goldfish Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd love to be able to join a minecraft server but I don't have a legitimate copy of minecraft yet ;-;
    hope one day I'd be able to join, but for the record if I do get my mits on a copy my name would be Kiruu, as usual.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kiruu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have a friend who play Minecraft but doing a bit of research then it didn't pique my interest as much. Does hosting our own server mean we can control pretty much everything? Keep it to ourselves? Modify it anyway we want?

If so, a Glitch server sounds great! It's just a one-time fee for the PC client right?
    Posted 11 years ago by Darkwoof Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This sounds like a lot of fun. I love minecraft, both on peaceful/creative where you just build and on survival. I've never played on a community server so this would really be a fun adventure. I definitely would love to keep informed if this happens :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Sanwei Subscriber! | Permalink
  • imgur.com/Ii4CM
    Yes, that's supposed to be a bean tree on the right.
    Posted 11 years ago by CuCN Subscriber! | Permalink
  • PArt of the fun of Minecraft is creating your own world. I just thought it would be cool to have the same niceness and community spirit while we make our own place.
    Posted 11 years ago by Avnas Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow! I've been taken aback by the responses... :)  I have a fair amount of stuff to move off the server and then a re-image so it might be a week or so before I have it up and running, but I will keep you guys posted and definitely have something going by Nov 26th.
  • I would totally be up for something like this. (No idea how to get to another server on Minecraft, mind you, but I am up for the challenge!)
    Posted 11 years ago by DiddilyPuff Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hey Diddilypuff, it's fairly easy ;) I will give out connection info on the 26th November, and you just click "Multiplayer" then enter the IP address I've given.
  • I was thinking this morning, there are ways to change the skins on the enemy mobs (as well as players), so if you wanted to go with a survival server but keep the Glitch theme, you could change some of the enemy mob skins to be Rooks :)  Maybe even a Juju or Deimaginator lol. I couldn't think of other "bad guys" in Glitch.

Just a suggestion, other than player skins I haven't done much playing around with changing skins, so quite honestly I don't know how to do it for the enemies (yet) on a server.
    Posted 11 years ago by Sanwei Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh my...a Glitch themed Minecraft server? I AM IN! This will be amazing!
    Posted 11 years ago by Shrimpables Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hell yes I want a Glitch themed Minecraft server!
    Posted 11 years ago by Jokes Subscriber! | Permalink
  • interested, if anything for the nicer people than the average it's gonna have into :)

may i suggest to create a group here about it to better keep track of it?
    www.glitch.com/groups/
    Posted 11 years ago by Zean Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is a wonderful idea. I purchased MC a while back and played a little, but never did a whole lot with it. But . . . a world full of people from Glitch? People who can cooperate and who love to be creative? Ooooooh. Count me in.
    Posted 11 years ago by WindRose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • a group about all the migrations to other games
    http://www.glitch.com/groups/RIFF5Q7LQFE3B1S/
    and the thread for minecraft (i've doublelinked just in case)
    http://www.glitch.com/groups/RIFF5Q7LQFE3B1S/discuss/13695/
    Posted 11 years ago by Zean Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Monotoko, where is your server located? It'd be a bit of an issue if it's in Canada/America, due to the latency for others around the world.
    Posted 11 years ago by WaLLy3K Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This sounds very cool!
    Posted 11 years ago by Periwinkle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes!
    Posted 11 years ago by The Sunset Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If the server can be on 24/7 it shouldn't be too much of a problem if it's in America or Europe.
    Posted 11 years ago by Rannera Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have to ask:
    Bukkit, with WorldGuard?
    No Spout or Tekkit (please)?
    Regular backups of the world?
    Dynmap (or similar)?
    Posted 11 years ago by Xial Subscriber! | Permalink
Previous 1 2 3 4