Topic

Glitch: A Documentary (A celebration of a crazy, beautiful world)

Hi all, 

I've been a Glitchen on and off since November 2011 when a friend (OGgiz) first brought me into the amazing experience that is Glitch. 

In real life, I've been a film student for the past few years and now I'd like to put that knowledge and experience towards something I've found I really care about: Glitch. As in; a documentary, about where Glitch came from, what it became, what it meant to people and how the end came about. 

I know this is a highly emotional and charged time, but making a documentary about Glitch is a possibility I'd really like to explore. 

What it would depend on would be: 

(I) DEV TEAM: Would you be comfortable with myself as an outside party (and others who get involved) creating a documentary about Glitch? Could you foresee any problems with this? 

Would you be willing to participate, to tell your story and the story of Glitch, to inform people who didn't get the chance to experience it and give those who were lucky enough something to take away from the experience other than all the wonderful memories? 

(II) GLITCHENS (or Glitchians, Glitchchae or Glitcheroonies): Would you be willing to share your experiences (on camera or off) and talk about your time in the game? Maybe talk about the culture, the amazing stories and poetry that came from it, and the experience in general? 

It could be anonymous, or not, depending on your preference, but it would be a chance to share some of your fun times and to highlight some of the extraordinary shared history that this project has created. 

Now, here comes the tricky part; 

(III) Financing

I have some limited access to professional film and lighting equipment, and I have some good experience of film-making (message me if you want to see the kinds of films and videos I've made over the last few years, I'm pretty proud of them) but to actually create the kind of proper, documentary film that would show the world what Glitch meant to so many people would take a fair amount of travel and a lot of filming and editing time. 

If this is the kind of project you'd be interested in, would you object to kicking in a few dollars towards, for instance, an Indiegogo or Kickstarter-funded project? I've done this once before, with fair success, and I already have some ideas for perks (that would need running by Tiny Speck, of course) that would give you a chance to immortalise your Glitchen on the big screen, or maybe feature your favourite areas in a montage, or other things like this. 

Legally, I know that final approval for all and any of this lies with the wonderful people at Tiny Speck, and I hope that you/they would look on this as a chance to celebrate the creation and passing of something beautiful but, of course, if TS say no, it's no problem. 

But... Here's the main thing. I didn't realise what Glitch meant to me until I realised it wasn't going to last forever and I'd like to celebrate that in a way that everyone could collaborate in, in the spirit of Glitch, and then we'd all have something to commemorate what was, and still is for a short time, a beautiful, crazy, occasionally lewd but always funny, experience. 

What do you think, fellow Glitchen? 

- FF

Posted 11 years ago by Feverfew Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 Next
  • BACON IS IN!
    *bangs hammer*
    Posted 11 years ago by OMG BACON!! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Titles?
    "The 1st of Remember", perhaps?
    Posted 11 years ago by Theremina Lute Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Argh. Doing Nanowrimo at the same time as trying to keep all this going was foolhardy. Fortunately, the NNWM odyssey is now finished! 

I've had the time to post a long update at the campaign site (igg.me/p/278952/x/275415) which hopefully explains a bit more about what the funding goes towards, how things are going, etc. If anyone gets a chance to read it can they let me know if it's okay, or if I sound like a crazy person? 

What's going to happen next is that I'll write up an FAQ for anyone who would like to contribute video, audio etcetera and make it available for download so that people can get cracking if they want to. 

Responses! 

Mafakh - Thank you! Much appreciated. Will be updating the blog shortly with thanks about this! 

icatchm0nkeys - Thank you for the offer! *nudge*

OMG BACON !! - This is good to know! But put down the hammer before someone gets hurt. 

Theremina Lute - That's a really beautiful title, and really evocative! I like... 

Anyway, please forward the link to the update on should you so feel like it and, otherwise, I'll just keep posting updates and thanks here! 
  • I'll be checking in to follow progress! *hugs*
    Posted 11 years ago by Daisy Blooms Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks Daisy! 

Also thanks to Jikuu for the latest contribution! 

The submission guidelines are currently being checked over, but I'd like it if anyone who has an interest in contributing would email me at thefirstofremember@hotmail.com with a rough outline of what they'd like to contribute - that way I can gauge interest in the project. 

Theremina Lute, further to the above, I haven't actually been able to get that title out of my head, so that's what it's going to called - thanks for the suggestion! 

Also, tomorrow I'll be combing the forums for creative people and soliciting contributions, so hopefully that will yield some fruit. 

Lastly; is there anyone out there who can record gameplay who'd be willing to record the final hours of Glitch? I don't have the facilities here and it's at 4am, so I'm unfortunately unable to - but there's free hugs to anyone who could do this! 
  • Have started soliciting contributions from various forum posters with creative ideas, which is good! 

A quick call to arms - if you want to be involved and/or have something you'd like to contribute, please get in touch with me at thefirstofremember@hotmail.com ASAP, as I don't know what's going to happen to this forum after Sunday night... 
  • News! 

Guidelines for submission can now be downloaded from (hopefully) this link: (https://www.yousendit.com/download/WUJZYUowNXZrUm5sZThUQw

A few people have got in touch and volunteered their services in various ways, but we need more people whenever, wherever, however! 

If you do anything artistic - videos, paintings, animation, music, poetry, whatever - or if you just want to talk for a couple of minutes about a favourite experience in Glitch that you'd like saved for posterity, download the guidelines and get in touch! 

WE NEED YOU! 
  • Oh! Thanks for posting this! I'll make and send my audio file as soon as I can.
    Posted 11 years ago by Ayasta Subscriber! | Permalink
  • See that you do! :D

We still need contributors, also, so if you're reading this: WE NEED YOU! 

If you have snaps you'd like to share, or poems, stories, anything, really, please get in touch, soonest! 
1 2 Next