Topic

Groddle's Bittersweet End - a homebrew beer recipe

I got to thinking earlier that it's a shame I don't have enough to time to brew a commemorative "goodbye" beer for Glitch. But I figured I'd start working on a recipe anyway. What better way to remember?

Anyway, here's version 1.0 of Groddle's Bittersweet End. When I eventually brew and bottle this, the labels will have my avatar on 'em. With this recipe, I'm shooting for something with a moderate amount of bitterness (I don't like ultra-hoppy beers) while trying to retain a bit of residual sweetness. At the same time, I'm shooting for a mildly sour beer. I'd claim that it's because Glitch closing is leaving a sour taste in my mouth, but really I just like sour beers :)
If I had the time (i.e., an extra 6 months after 2ary fermentation), I'd also throw in a bacteria souring pack to really bring in the sourness. But I don't want to wait that long to drink it. Given holiday and budgetary concerns, I'll likely brew this (after refining the recipe a bit more) on Closing Day.

Groddle's Bittersweet End
Brewers: Devlogic and Lionheart Lass
Recipe Type: Extract with Specialty Grains
Batch Size: 5 US gallons
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.015
Color: 14° SRM
Bitterness: 24 IBU (tinseth)
Estimated ABV: 4.7%

Fermentables:
6 lbs amber liquid malt extract
1 lb CaraPils malt, for head retention
1 lb Crystal 75L for some flavor and more color
8 oz Crystal 120L for lots more color
6 oz acid malt to help fermentation and for a bit of a tang

Hops:
1 oz Fuggles hops (@60) for bitterness
1/2 oz East Kent Goldings (@15) for flavor
1/2 oz Tettnang hops (@5) for aroma

Yeast:
WLP005 American Ale for primary fermentation, 7 days
Brettanomyces Bruxellensis for secondary fermentation (~21-30 days or to taste)

Adjuncts: 1 tsp Irish Moss at 15 minutes (i.e., last 15 of the boil) for clarification. Feel free to substitute a whirlfloc tablet, or use post-ferment finings if that's more your style.

Bottling: bottle with 4.5 oz corn sugar (or keg & force-carbonate)

Posted 11 years ago by devlogic Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• If I could still drink beer, I would be all over this.
    Posted 11 years ago by JohnaMarie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow. :O

What the heck do you do for a living?
    Posted 11 years ago by SeerQueen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you! <3
    Posted 11 years ago by mightywench Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Aw, I'm really glad to not be the only person who is mournfully cooking Glitch fanart. To memorialize things this winter I am going to make at least one marmalade using mostly ingredients and tools from Ur, like so:

Scrub some oranges thoroughly, top and tail them, and slice them from pole to pole into 16ths. Cut each segment widthwise into slices 1/16"ish wide. Reserve any seeds you find. Measure the volume of fruit slices and make a note of it, and transfer the fruit and whatever juice ran off while you cut it to a biggish bowl; put the orange seeds in a muslin bag and add it too. Peel a segment of ginger root and cut it into rounds 1/4" thick; crush them a bit with the heel of a knife and add them to the oranges (I like a couple of rounds of ginger per orange for xxxtreme gingeriness, your tastes may vary). Pour water over the fruit to cover it, plus a bit; when you press down on the fruit through the water it should yield a little to your hands, though not be super floaty. Cover and leave to soften for a couple of days. Transfer to an awesome pot and bring to a boil over medium heat, and hold it there until the peels are tender to your teeth, which might take thirty minutes or an hour. Fish out the ginger rounds and the bag of seeds. Add the same volume of honey as there was fruit, return to the boil, and keep it there, stirring occasionally, until it's reached its setting point (222F, or it sheets off the back of a spoon dipped into it). Decant into sterilized jars and process in a boiling water bath per these directions.

The most bittersweet of the preserves :(
    Posted 11 years ago by Melismata Rookwood Subscriber! | Permalink
  • How tragicomically appropriate that I've been planning to homebrew beer for a few months now...thanks for the recipe!
    Posted 11 years ago by Alyx Sands Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There is some beauty in this. I don't drink beer often, but this rocks.
    Posted 11 years ago by Thursday Soleil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Because it was asked, I'm a network admin by day. My wife and I have been home brewing beer for a little more than a year, and every batch we've made so far has been drinkable :-)
  • In case anyone really wants to follow this recipe's current incarnation (until I brew it and stop making changes), I'm using Hopville Beer Calculus for all of the heavy lifting.
    Recipe link: http://hopville.com/recipe/1661890
  • I am a fan of really hoppy beer-anyone got an idea/recipe for, say, Cebarkul Memorial Hoppy Glitchen Ale?
    Posted 11 years ago by Alyx Sands Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You could call it a "Double UPA" (Ur Pale Ale)
  • I sent this to my Dad (who's been brewing for 20 years and winning awards) and he says it looks pretty promising! 
    Posted 11 years ago by Feylin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I racked this to secondary yesterday and pitched the b. Lambicus. It's already really pretty-looking, and the base beer tastes great. Can't wait for the souring to take affect.