Topic

I once pretended to be a homeless beggar at the Eastern Approach subway station

I am very sad that this game is shutting down, so I thought I would share my fondest memory of playing this game.

I created a character named Randyll Tarly (www.glitch.com/profiles/PUV...) who I parked AFK at the subway station with a short, poorly written note asking for hand-outs. I managed to keep him there constantly for about three real world days, and he drew enough attention that a group was started to support him, the Concerned Citizens of Ur (www.glitch.com/groups/RUVHA...) and an article was written about him in The Glitchen ImaginatUr (www.theimaginatur.com/randy...). There was even an occasion where staff member Araldia (www.glitch.com/profiles/PM1...) took the time to set up a whole diorama of items around my character for the sake of a screenshot (i13.photobucket.com/albums/...). I believe Randyll was responsible for spawning a string of copycat beggar characters as well.

My favorite thing about creating this gimmick character was the amount of notes of support many players left me. Many were hilarious and creative. Some people even wrote songs for me, or used me as a rallying point for "political" action within the game. I kept all the notes, and various screenshots taken by myself and other players. They are available to view here: www.imgur.com/a/xDNpn

What I did with Randyll I think really helps to represent the culture and community that was developed by the players of this game. I really want to thank TinySpeck, and all my friends both on this account and my Randyll account for making this game such an awesome experience. I will truly miss it, thank you!

Posted 11 years ago by Helointernet Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I love you for this :D
    Posted 11 years ago by OMG BACON!! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • *snif*  that was awesome.  
    Posted 11 years ago by matrix Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lol, I think I saw him! This is fantastic! :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Kaepora Subscriber! | Permalink
  • One of the best ImaginatUr articles :)
    Posted 11 years ago by ennuienta Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I wonder, could Randyll Tarly be the inspiration for the housing change? So that no one in Ur should go homeless...
    Posted 11 years ago by Axa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • When was this? How strange that I never saw Randyll there. Eastern Approach station was one of my teleport points.
    Posted 11 years ago by kalsangikid Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for that fond memory. It was around when I had just joined, I think. I may have seen Randyll once or twice... but what I remember most is how impressed I was with the outpouring of reactions. That was one of my first experiences with the Glitch community, and it was a very good one. Thank you <3 

Edit: upon looking at pictures, I realized that I did see you in the station, many times. Memories of discovering Glitch... that for sure was one of the best things I've done.
    Posted 11 years ago by Fernstream Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I always wondered who you were! I saw you there often. Those were great times. 

I see a note from me! :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Eye Wonder Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I remember you, Randyll. I was a new player and thought you were just brilliant! I didn't know how to write notes and didn't have much to spare but you sure made me smile.
    Posted 11 years ago by Lucille Ball Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Awwww. I remember this. :) Makes me smile. I love Glitch. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Marley Cuddles Subscriber! | Permalink
  • <3
    Posted 11 years ago by Minkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I remember that! Man that was a long time ago.
    Posted 11 years ago by JohnaMarie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh My GIANTS! That was you? I was wondering what happened to Randyll. Good times!
    Posted 11 years ago by Mal'akh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I remember Randyll. One of my favourite Glitch memories.
    Posted 11 years ago by Rev. Desdemona Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Awwww, Randyll.  You have bought a tear to my eye.  I remember you from my early Glitch days and visited you a few times to read the notes and give you a thing or two.  You were the talk of the A.Bliss mining Glitches at the time.  I thought you were a most brilliant creation - would love to see you again at a subway station before Glitch is shuttered for good.
    Posted 11 years ago by dmnddgs Subscriber! | Permalink
  • YOU!!!!!

I actually was hoping to find out who did this before we disappear forever!

HODOR!
    Posted 11 years ago by HAVOK PEW SUMMERS Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have folders and folders of screencaps pre-snaps of us protesting, and donating to poor Randyll! I WENT TO HELL FOR YOU!
  • This os fantastic!
    Posted 11 years ago by Osiris χ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • One more post I promise, this was really the chain of events that made me completely fall in love with Glitch. Not only the fact that someone created this character, but that so many of us got together, stopped our mining, and just did silly things to protest the 'homeless situation of Ur', demanding better housing for those in need, and raising items to try to save poor lil' Randyll's pixelated existence. 

We all did a sleep-in/afk protest for over a day real time to raise awareness for "Poor Randyll." We made up stories as to why Randyll was there, who he was, and where he came from. We created emotional experiences out of a gorgeous, well designed game. We giggled, and when Randyll finally disappeared for good, we actually worried as to why this might have been!

This was the epitome of what made Glitch so damn wonderful.
  • This was so awesome.
    Posted 11 years ago by zoesera Subscriber! | Permalink
  • lol this brings back fond memories. :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Leïla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Damn I thought it was me doing this the whole time

..spare change anyone?
    Posted 11 years ago by ☣ elf ☣ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Awesome.  'Nuff said :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Genkicoll Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Havok, you were my favorite! If you could upload any content you have of Randyll somewhere, I would really appreciate it (Or PM me and I'll give you my e-mail).

And thank you to everyone who remembers and appreciates what I did with Randyll; my intention was just to screw around for a weekend, I didn't think it would have such an impact on people <3!
    Posted 11 years ago by Helointernet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I remember Randyll! Glad to hear the end of the story, as it were.
    Posted 11 years ago by Kip Konner Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Aw brilliant story..I wish I had met Randyll :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Cryztal Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What a great character!
    Posted 11 years ago by Treesa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I remember I went to the subway a couple of times to see if Randyll was there after hearing about it. I first ran into him in Hell of all places, hahaha. At that moment I PMed my friend and excitedly rambled about how I had found Randyll Tarly. She was confused about what I was going on about until I explained the story to her. xD
    Posted 11 years ago by Solana Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm so glad you posted this! I loved Randyll Tarly so much and was sad when I couldn't find him anymore. This is totally my kind of play :D
    Posted 11 years ago by Aleph Zero Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I remember that! Too funny! Thanks dude!
    Posted 11 years ago by Friday 13 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I do remember seeing you a few times! I might not have left anything, but I'm sure I messaged and told you how awesome an idea it was.
    Posted 11 years ago by Avnas Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Such fond memories! I made some of my best friends on here "helping" you out, and though we've all gone our separate ways, the fond memories of this event will last a lifetime. 

And I still love you, you smelly hobo. <3
    Posted 11 years ago by Batwoman Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lol this was great. I had no idea about this.
    Posted 11 years ago by Artichoke Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I remember Randyll. I was worried when I didn't see him there, hoping he was ok. He was a reminder to look out for everyone, including the quiet ones in the most need. <3
    Posted 11 years ago by QueenKellee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Damn, just found out about this! 
    Posted 11 years ago by Rook Subscriber! | Permalink