Topic

For the last-minute auction resellers...

I'd just like to note that, in the final hours of the game, your names are being recorded, next to exorbitant resell prices, for currants that will have no value shortly. I understand that this may be some kind of game you feel compelled to play. Possibly you're 'saving up' for that last artifact to cuddle against you in the waning minutes. Otherwise, it makes no sense. Then again, in the 'real' world's last days, I suppose there will be people selling life insurance.

Posted 11 years ago by Rattus Rattus Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• /eyeroll
    AND those of you who feel the need to buy anything in a game that will be gone in less than a few hours, using the same justification as you posted above, are just as pathetic. Your point?
    Posted 11 years ago by Pixieyelsraek Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You know, anything who does anything now in Glitch is...wasting their time I guess :(
    Posted 11 years ago by Sororia Rose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I can't say I enjoy them, but they are rather inevitable. 

I'm curious what you plan to do with their names after you record them. :) Maybe a record? Best Hits Of Price Gougers?
    Posted 11 years ago by Wynella Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm not recording them, the auction board itself is. For at least the next 24 hours. And the rationale behind buying these things? To enjoy them. To play with them. To see parts of the game you couldn't before, due to level or resources. Some people are posting things cheap so that anyone who's looking can get a chance, not just those who banked up credits earlier.
    Posted 11 years ago by Rattus Rattus Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Gotta criticize til the better end.   Hmmm
    Posted 11 years ago by Marina Pina Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Some people were trying to complete personal quests to finish assembling various collections: I and others were having fun helping those people reach closure. I did find it lame to see people profiteering on the final day: that instead of of me helping lots of people find closure I was wasting my time accidentally helping people try to profiteer off of super high priced auctions items that never sold and now never can.

Those auction vultures did no one, including themselves, a favor. You gained nothing and soured the day for others.

So yes, I too would have enjoyed it if these people could have taken a day off from stomping on the helpful dreams of some and the hopeful dreams of others. :)
    Posted 11 years ago by Bad Robot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I bought the last things my Glitchen "needed" (Rubeweed, tree beans to complete one last achievement to get one last upgrade card, etc) from towers rather than auctions... and made an effort to find sellers who were charging market price or higher.

Why? Because I had the luxury of currants to spare, and no reason to horde them. Because I had no idea why the sellers wanted last minute currants -- maybe they wouldn't feel they'd "won" the game until they owned a full set of cubimals, or a 1 Million Currant trophy. Why shouldn't I help someone else win the game if I can? And I left the 1c sales for the players whose coffers were near-empty and needed the same things I did.

As for the high-priced auctions, iirc I saw someone say in global that auctioning things for a high price was a work-around some players had tried in order to keep beloved items through earlier beta world resets. I have no idea if they succeeded, but I'd bet that more than a few of the folks listing the auctions you saw last night were doing the same thing, either in tribute or in denial.
    Posted 11 years ago by Fhaunel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The auction house was part of the game. Some players enjoy playing the auction house. Don't be so judgemental about how people play the game.
    Posted 11 years ago by Mopilash Chastaine Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Is there something wrong with making profit  in order to  help you or others complete their own personal quests?
    Posted 11 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • thank you for this post. it made me realise I can still go auction shopping and so pretend Glitch isn't really over. Off to do that now!
    Posted 11 years ago by onelittlebird Subscriber! | Permalink
  • oh... no i can't. they were there & then they were gone *sob*
    Posted 11 years ago by onelittlebird Subscriber! | Permalink
  • When the announcement was first made about the closing, I was angry....mostly at myself, because I had wasted something like a five-day weekend I had off from college playing Glitch instead of handling the mountain of homework I needed to get done. I didn't play for a good week, but eventually did come back because I wanted to enjoy it while it lasted.I wanted to get snaps to remember the game. I also spent the currants I had been saving on getting most of the cubimal collection and for decorating my house. As it was, I didn't have THAT much money, probably nowhere near 100k currants spent after it was all said and done, and I even gave away a good 40k currants to anyone who wanted it. Plus, after I got my snaps of my house, I had a major free giveaway of ALL my glitchenly possessions. It made me really happy to see my tower lobby filled with people taking free stuff to their heart's content, with people sometimes giving me bits of candy and other small things as thanks. The only time I tried selling something was a couple weeks ago and, in the end, I just traded a bunch of my artifact bits and pieces for the Rook Cubimal I was after. The last two weeks or so were spent exploring and chatting with the lovely people. All in all, the last weeks were a satisfying experience for me, though occasionally I wished I had kept some of my stuff to craft the new stuff that was being released. ;P I pity those who had to make a profit to the bitter end. They really missed out.
    Posted 11 years ago by Moonie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It might have been a good plan to politely request to Glitch staff that auction prices be capped at a certain amount for the final day. Wasting my time setting up very low priced auctions so that people that did not even remotely need the items could waste their time profiteering reselling them at sky high prices that they never sold for, despite previously having approached some of these people and asking them not to do that, was sad. Seems fair to be judgemental when I've gone out of my way to ask people to stop ruining my day. I tried to give back and return the love the I received: others were evidently more interested in mercilessly taking from the community even until the very last moment. And, amusingly, bragging on here about the money they made - even though they'd previously been exposed as cheaters (using shill accounts) and were using hidden SDBs to trick people into visiting their tower. I clearly couldn't stop their ugliness: instead I simply pretty much stopped using the auction house and ran from wanting house to wanting house helping people complete their item quests and reach closure.

If I'd been one of the people working at Glitch, I might also have maxed out everyone's money for the final day or two: if you were really trying to profiteer these final days you have weird social problems. I hope they enjoyed dying alone in their towers counting their money. I spent my final moments saying goodbye to friends. :)
  • I don't get the whole point of the rage here.  One person has a goal to collect items - and another has a goal to collect currants.

As far as the prices go, there were plenty of bargains to be found, and the accused weren't the only one selling certain items.  I found many of the artifacts and collectibles at 100 currants or less.  I never paid any attention to the auctions or tower sellers who were trying to profiteer.

If, on the other hand, these were the only sellers to have the artifacts you needed, then the market was behaving correctly by setting the prices high.

I bought the remaining 4 cubimals I needed at prices varying from 100k to 500k over that last 2 weeks - just watching the prices on glitch remote.  I figured that at the end there would be lots of competition for the remaining ones - and I was right.  The prices for the rarest 4 were significantly higher on the final day than when I bought them. 

I'm just saying, that it's not the sellers fault that someone didn't plan - or were simply late with getting money.
    Posted 11 years ago by Goddess Freya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You're talking around what I mentioned. Certain people would buy my auctions for the low prices, then re-auction those items at ten times the price. That's not market pricing, that's parasitical *market manipulation*. Certain of those auctions were still open when the game ended, which means they not only didn't make money (in fact losing money in their antisocial behavior) they also thwarted both me trying to help people and others trying to complete last final quests. If you weren't buying and reselling, I have no grief with you. You're also missing the third person: a person like me whose goal was to help people. Instead of being able to use the auction house, I had to wander around Ur house to house dropping stuff off with people. It was a pretty lame use of my time, all things considered. :)

I'll stick with my previous thought which was: we should have asked Glitch staff to set people to infinite/max money for the final couple days so those who wanted to be rich could leave happy, those who wanted to help people could leave happy, and those who wanted to complete item quests could be happy. :)
  • I enjoyed doing some of all of the above. Edit: I mean, gathering currants and playing with the AH, as well as giving things away and helping people.  Not reselling/profiteering from other people's things.

I'm a relatively new player, so until I figured out that some of the unique stuff we got from feats could sell for more currants than I had ever owned in my Glitchy life, I was pretty frickin' poor.  It was fun for me to put some of my feat stuff up for sale in the AH and a big deal to me when I had a million currants. 

This said, I did let all my friends in The Guild know that if they saw an auction by me and it was a thing they needed, I'd just take it down and give it to them.   For that matter if pretty much anyone on chat just asked and said they needed something I had to complete something they had, it was much more fun to be able to give it to a person and make them happy than to just have more currants show up in my account.

Buying up low priced stuff to sell for high, I have mixed feelings about.  For players who want/need currants, it can be one way that another player can really help you get to your goals.  But if you're selfish about it and take too many resources away that could really help multiple other players, that just doesn't seem in keeping with the spirit of the game. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Sildenafil Citrate Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @bad robot.  Your assumption was that I was talking to you.  I was not.  I was addressing the OP.  I wasn't "talking around" anything.  Unless someone addresses you directly its best not to assume they're talking to you. 
    Posted 11 years ago by Goddess Freya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • call me maybe
    Posted 11 years ago by Chinny the Unlikely Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Why should it matter if names are recorded? Were they supposed to feel bad? *shrugs* Glitch has ended so it is all irrevelant right?
    Posted 11 years ago by ◘ ▪ Leï.Leï ▪ ◘ Subscriber! | Permalink